• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox first-party is "critical" for Scorpio, says Spencer (Gamesindustry.biz)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not sure how many times this needs to be said but Spencer was the one in charge of MS first party under Mattrick. The state of MS first party rests fully on Spencer.

I love the idea people have in their heads that, as the head of first party, Phil was given a blank check to do with as he pleases.

The decisions come from the top.

The fact that they are weak on first party is getting conflated with their third party support slipping at the same time. It's not like all the ps4 games lately are first party.

Microsoft should be panicking when they don't get games from EA, Ubisoft, and Activision. Otherwise they can keep on sailing. Xbox doesn't get Nier and Nioh then that's unfortunate but not the end of the world.

Anticol

Banned
That's the whole point, we are clueless about what studios MS might hired.
Clueless =/= doesn't exist.

We are talking about first party and you list a bunch of either, independent studios or studios own by other companies, but ok.

Supermassive released a game in 2015 and another one last year, it was VR but whatever, they are closer eith Sony but even if they were hired by MS it is very difficult for them to get a game rdy for this fall, less than 2 years from their last big game.

Playground only do Forza games since they started and the last one Was released last year, but in your mind they are delivering a triple AAA new ip for this year, ok.

And double helix was acquired by Amazon and have been working on games for them.

I love the idea people have in their heads that, as the head of first party, Phil was given a blank check to do with as he pleases.

No, but he was the reason why we got no new IP's during the last years of 360 and all we got was mediocre titles from comoanies who wanted to stop working on the same ip.

Synth

We are talking about first party and you list a bunch of either, independent studios or studios own by other companies, but ok.

Supermassive released a game in 2015 and another one last year, it was VR but whatever, they are closer eith Sony but even if they were hired by MS it is very difficult for them to get a game rdy for this fall, less than 2 years from their last big game.

Playground only do Forza games since they started and the last one they released was last year, so in your mind they are delivering a trple AAA new ip this year, ok.

And double helix was acquired by Amazon and have been working on games for them.

You missed the point spectacularly...

He's not implying that those three studios are making a new IP. He's saying there could be others that are in a similar situation to what those were before MS announced titles developed by them.

And they were discussing first-party TITLES, not necessarily first party studios. Crackdown isn't made by an internal MS studio, but it's a first-party title.

Anticol

Banned
You missed the point spectacularly...

He's not implying that those three studios are making a new IP. He's saying there could be others that are in a similar situation to what those were before MS announced titles developed by them.

And they were discussing first-party TITLES, not necessarily first party studios. Crackdown isn't made by an internal MS studio, but it's a first-party title.

Ok then, name a studio who can get a triple AAA game rdy bu this fall when the Scorpio launches thst will be a new ip and a exclusive.

Ok then, name a studio who can get a triple AAA game rdy bu this fall when the Scorpio launches thst will be a new ip and a exclusive.
I mean you aren't really getting the point still lol. The poster is saying it can be someone unknown. Like, would you have ever guessed Zoë Mode, Sumo Digital, Double Helix, Creative Assembly, Armature, Platinum, Darkside Games (ya exactly), etc would be working on exclusives beforehand? They are saying it could be SOMEONE, we never know who they will partner with.

They you say "ok name them" as if that somehow is a "gotcha" moment when the whole point revolves around the fact that WE DONT KNOW because they are unpredictable with who they partner with sometimes.

This keeps going over your head though

I have no idea. Just as I'd have had no idea Double Helix were a viable option for a new Killer Instinct in 2013.
You meaning to tell me you had to clue Double Helix, a company who put out such stories titles like Battleship and GI Joe for Xbox 360, was working on a classic fighting game for Xbox One???

Synth

I have no idea. Just as I'd have had no idea Double Helix were a viable option for a new Killer Instinct in 2013.

Anticol

Banned
I mean you aren't really getting the point still lol. The poster is saying it can be someone unknown. Like, would you have ever guessed Zoë Mode, Sumo Digital, Double Helix, Creative Assembly, Armature, Platinum, Darkside Games (ya exactly), etc would be working on exclusives beforehand? They are saying it could be SOMEONE, we never know who they will partner with.

They you say "ok name them" as if that somehow is a "gotcha" moment when the whole point revolves around the fact that WE DONT KNOW because they are unpredictable with who they partner with sometimes.

This keeps going over your head though

I get the point m8, just don't see anyone viable but let's wait and see. Also listing Platinum, lol.

I get the point m8, just don't see anyone via le but let's wait and see. Also listing Platinum, lol.
Why wouldn't I list Platinum? Or are you going to pretend you knew they would partner with MS for some reason?

Also, not sure what "just don't see anyone via le" means.

"Lol"

Wedzi

Banned
I'm pretty sure he's just referring to current first party games as well as Crackdown, SOD 2 and Sea of Thieves will support Scorpio. There's really nothing to read into what he said here. There's not going to be a Breath of the Wild type of AAA exclusive for this thing if that's what you're hoping for.

You mean exciting.

Is it really this difficult to accept/understand that not everyone views the situation the same as you ?
Personally, I will wait until they have some promising first party games before getting a scorpio.
Microsofts seemingly endless focus on halo/gears/forza and a lackluster library caused me to dump my xbox one a few years ago.
It may take awhile, it took sony a long time to build their first party up and they are now the best of the three by a comfortable margin.

...if you had said in 2010 "so, who can MS work with to bring new titles to Xbox", do you really think anyone would have said "Double Helix could probably do something with the Killer Instinct IP"? Really?
Yes, Double Helix would've been on the short list for external developers that a publisher could go to for a medium-production-value game in established IP. In 2010, their previous projects included work-for-hire on Front Mission, Silent Hill, Star Wars, and many more.

That's the whole point, we are clueless about what studios MS might hired.
Clueless =/= doesn't exist.
There's a difference between knowing who has been hired (and for what IP), and knowing who could be hired for sizeable games, but aren't known to be working on any. Due to so much consolidation and closure last gen, that second list is shorter than ever.

The poster is saying it can be someone unknown. Like, would you have ever guessed Zoë Mode, Sumo Digital, Double Helix, Creative Assembly, Armature, Platinum, Darkside Games (ya exactly), etc would be working on exclusives beforehand? They are saying it could be SOMEONE, we never know who they will partner with.
Zoë Mode - They're a division of Kuju, who have long experience with outsourced IP (some exclusive) like Advance Wars, Silent Hill, and Pokemon. Zoë Mode themselves previously co-developed an Xbox 360 exclusive, Haunt.
Sumo Digital - They are a big outsourcing dev, and have made exclusives and/or established IP games at a prodigious rate. Xbox Fitness was not their first Microsoft exclusive (or their last).
Double Helix - See above.
Creative Assembly - With Ensemble shut down, they're one of very few options that could've been hired to make Halo Wars 2.
Armature - Had years of experience doing ports of established IP. Note that even for the medium-scale ReCore they split dev duties with Comcept and Asobo (other established for-hire houses), so I'm not sure how large a project they could manage themselves.
Platinum - This is one of the few independent AAA studios that does new-IP exclusives. The only thing surprising about Scalebound was that Platinum already had so much other stuff on their plate.
Darkside Games - Their outsourced art has appeared in games for years, including exclusives. Phantom Dust was an attempt to move to a more visible tier, which unfortunately didn't work out.

My point is not that Microsoft can't possibly have any third-party exclusives lined up. (In an earlier post, I even predicted one I think might happen.) The point is that there are only so many studios out there who both make high-production-value games, and are not already working on something we know. We can't guess exactly what titles are coming, exactly from who--the possibilities are too extensive--but what does come out is a lot less surprising than you imply. Devs have a real tendency to find a niche and stay in their comfort zone; branching out is rare. We can predict with startling accuracy that most of this year's biggest games will have outsourced work to TOSE, Streamline, or Glass Egg, for example.

When new partnerships are announced, I don't expect them to be surprising. That doesn't mean they won't be meaningful, of course.

Xero

This is true. I liked the gameplay, but going through quest was boring. I still hope they'll give us a proper Fable 4 at some point, or even a reboot of the brand.

A Reboot would probably be best. I dont think Fable could get away with being filled with tons of half assed features a puddle deep mechanics anymore with the games that have come out since the last one. However the charm and atmosphere of Fable is something that is still truly unique to it.

longdi

Banned

Phil is one of the top, no?

Phil seems like the guy who talks and talks(for the sake of exposure), but the results thus far are not exactly convincing.

spekkeh

Banned
Of course first party is critical, because he needs Forza to look significantly better than DriveClub, and third parties won't put in a lot of effort. That's all there's to read in this statement imo.

And head of studios is one of the top positions in Microsoft. It's really cute how people on GAF how no clue how corporations work.

People at this level have plenty of authority to make decisions as long as they stick to general previously agreed plan - a plan which they helped to shape in the meetings with people above. If the plan is completely against their will well then they screwed up and weren't convincing enough to salvage as much of their vision as possible.

longdi

Banned
No, he isn't.

Tbh, i dont know how MGS works, but i would assume Phil as the head of games studios, should have a great say in the type of games they need. And i thought only traditional Japanese companies are the top down draconian ones.

It does paints Phil as a yes-man back then, depsite his high post and his supposed love for gamers.

Why is Microsoft trying to get Japanese games now for? I mean for the lost part, all I ever read from Xbox fans is that Japanese games are gay, stupid, not real games, pervert games, anime games, and things like that. It's cool he sees importance in Japan, but I seriously doubt it's worth the trouble as the Xbox fan base largely just plays the big western games and fps games.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I feel that they are essentially wasting their time and money, especially if the demand for Japanese games continue to be diminutive. The XBox gamers I conversed with and see online seemingly detest Japanese games or are just not interested in them. It's the same way most Nintendo owners do not care for GTA5 or COD. Like it or not people, but each system has their own demographics.

Another day, another thread about Xbox's first party

"It takes time to set up a 1st party line-up. They are doing it!"

This same argument has been going on since like 2008. It's Microsoft's version of the old Nintendo mantra "we have a strong 3rd party partnership".

killatopak

Gold Member
If ms opened studios in jp instead of isolating them and going strictly for western devs as 1st party they could have prevented this.

leeh

Sony has Japan Studios and western devs such as naughty dog etc.

They have studios on both ends of the world. Having a studio in japan means it's easier to speak with japanese devs.
I get what you're saying, I just feel in terms of investment, you couldn't get anymore high risk from their point of view.

Hoo-doo

Banned
If ms opened studios in jp instead of isolating them and going strictly for western devs as 1st party they could have prevented this.

They did try to expand into japanese style games with the 360, it largely bit them in the ass.

Expanding into japanese studios right now when their core moneymakers are both slipping this generation (Gears, Halo) is a terrible decision. Their core audience is in the US and UK and they will need new big first-party hitters for that audience before even thinking about funneling millions towards a studio in Japan.

Microsoft should play to their strengths, and that's their US/UK appeal and their online infrastructure. They need a new line of western AAA IP's if they want to keep that money train rolling.

killatopak

Gold Member
I get what you're saying, I just feel in terms of investment, you couldn't get anymore high risk from their point of view.

They did try to expand into japanese style games with the 360, it largely bit them in the ass.

Expanding into japanese studios right now when their core moneymakers are both slipping this generation (Gears, Halo) is a terrible decision. Their core audience is in the US and UK and they will need new big first-party hitters for that audience before even thinking about funneling millions towards a studio in Japan.

Microsoft should play to their strengths, and that's their US/UK appeal and their online infrastructure. They need a new line of western AAA IP's if they want to keep that money train rolling.

I agree that right now it's probably not a good investment especially after Scalebound. I'm implying they should have done so in the past when the sales of japanese games between Sony, Nintendo and MS were still very close to each other and MS was still trying to grab the Japanese audience.

They tried expanding through buying exclusivity instead of opening studios in Japan to cater to japanese game fans in the long run. They were thinking short term really.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I agree that right now it's probably not a good investment especially after Scalebound. I'm implying they should have done so in the past when the sales of japanese games between Sony, Nintendo and MS were still very close to each other and MS was still trying to grab the Japanese audience.

They tried expanding through buying exclusivity instead of opening studios in Japan to cater to japanese game fans in the long run. They were thinking short term really.

Agreed, they should have laid the foundation back in the OG Xbox days and kept building.
But they have progressively been making the most US-centric consoles and games ever since, to the point where they have become mostly irrelevant outside of their core markets.

And there's no real solution for that. You can't just buy your way back in.

R aka Bon

I was anticipating games like Fable legends, Scalebound and Phantom dust, so hopefully they can deliver on bringing games that end up being good experiences.

Are people expecting more exclusives for the fall(or the year)?. I thought the concerns were about the years to come, as this year already has/had HW2, SoD 2, SoT, Crackdown 3 and Forza 7.

Blindy

I just want gameplay announcements, I hate to see them rush a buggy mess like ReCore(I liked that game too) for the sake of getting a 1st party game out there.

I would be cool with some remasters like Panzer Dragoon Orta as I would like to play some of those original XBOX games. They are doing this with Voodoo Vince and Phantom Dust so I would be cool with more. Maybe if they do a Rare Replay esque collection filled of them that would be gnarly and easy enough to make.

Give us a satisfying Western survival horror 1st party game MS. Or a Star Fox inspired airship shooter with a good single player and a quality multiplayer. Or a narrative David Cage/Until Dawn style of game with some buzz(D4 was this by all accounts but alas no buzz). There are most certainly ways to not alienate any sort of fanbase.

Or some beat em up styled Battletoads as a Indy feature. That would be cool.

I think it's gotta be quantity even if these aren't massive AAA titles. Indy titles like Cuphead, Below, Battletoads will help out and add 1-2 new IPs like the aforementioned and add Forza, Sea of Thieves, Crackdown, State of Decay, and some AAA multi plat games like Shadow of War, new Tomb Raider(If its ready) and there we go.

Jumeira

Banned

Seriously, anyone who's worked in any corporation would know this. Implement thr roadmap laid out by head the best way you know. Seems like some here are being deliberately dense.

Zedox

Real talk. At E3, I wish MS should only focus on games coming out this year and Q1 of next year and Gamescom show off games of next year Q2-Q3 (not 2+ years). SOD, SOT, Forza, Crackdown 3 are enough 1P for the 2nd half of the year imo.

Jumeira

Banned
It does feel like they're preparing for the Scorpio launch and so are holding back a bunch of news, investments and announcements until then.

FelipeMGM

I just want gameplay announcements, I hate to see them rush a buggy mess like ReCore(I liked that game too) for the sake of getting a 1st party game out there.

I would be cool with some remasters like Panzer Dragoon Orta as I would like to play some of those original XBOX games. They are doing this with Voodoo Vince and Phantom Dust so I would be cool with more. Maybe if they do a Rare Replay esque collection filled of them that would be gnarly and easy enough to make.

Give us a satisfying Western survival horror 1st party game MS. Or a Star Fox inspired airship shooter with a good single player and a quality multiplayer. Or a narrative David Cage/Until Dawn style of game with some buzz(D4 was this by all accounts but alas no buzz). There are most certainly ways to not alienate any sort of fanbase.

Or some beat em up styled Battletoads as a Indy feature. That would be cool.

Panzer Dragoon is not a MS IP like Voodoo Vince and Phantom Dust are though

But that actually makes me wonder what Yukio Futatsugi (Pazer Dragoon, Phantom Dust and Crimson Dragon) is up to these days.

leeh

Seriously, anyone who's worked in any corporation would know this. Implement thr roadmap laid out by head the best way you know. Seems like some here are being deliberately dense.
All the top want to see is division growth. They'll throw him some money and then he aims to achieve that growth with the right investments.

They won't say what games, with what partnerships or anything like that.

FelipeMGM

Real talk. At E3, I wish MS should only focus on games coming out this year and Q1 of next year and Gamescom show off games of next year Q2-Q3 (not 2+ years). SOD, SOT, Forza, Crackdown 3 are enough 1P for the 2nd half of the year imo.

I dont think they are doing Gamescom anymore, at least they didnt last year.

blakep267

And head of studios is one of the top positions in Microsoft. It's really cute how people on GAF how no clue how corporations work.

People at this level have plenty of authority to make decisions as long as they stick to general previously agreed plan - a plan which they helped to shape in the meetings with people above. If the plan is completely against their will well then they screwed up and weren't convincing enough to salvage as much of their vision as possible.
That's not how it works. Do you think shannon loft is is the sole person in charg of what games are being brought out now? No. She reports to spencer. Just like spencer reported to mattrixk who set the tone. Mattrick wanted Kinect games and tent pole franchises(gears Forza halo). Spencer executes it. The head of first party development still answers to the head of xbox

It does feel like they're preparing for the Scorpio launch and so are holding back a bunch of news, investments and announcements until then.

Yeah, but that's what we thought in the last few years of the 360.
"They're saving all their games for Xbox One"

Instead we had fuck all games in the twilight 360 years and the Xbox One has been limping along since (a pretty decent) launch.

leeh

That's not how it works. Do you think shannon loft is is the sole person in charg of what games are being brought out now? No. She reports to spencer. Just like spencer reported to mattrixk who set the tone. Mattrick wanted Kinect games and tent pole franchises(gears Forza halo). Spencer executes it. The head of first party development still answers to the head of xbox
Although, a good management structure is a two way street. If you're proposed an idea, or a direction from your manager and you disagree, they should be open for discussion around that idea if you can propose a tweak in that direction with the why.

I'm betting that we're shown some new IP's this year. I feel since Phil has taken over, he's been very receptive to listening what the wider community want. He's always voiced new IP and 1st party is important, but it takes a lot of time to set that up. The time where it's viable to show these new games with close release dates is this E3. If they don't, well, why buy a new Xbox other social aspects and better 3rd party games on the Scorpio.

Your product needs USP's, and without any decent 1st party, the Xbox is lacking those.

wapplew

Yeah, but that's what we thought in the last few years of the 360.
"They're saving all their games for Xbox One"

Instead we had fuck all games in the twilight 360 years and the Xbox One has been limping along since (a pretty decent) launch.

They did save all their games for Xbox One. Ryse, Crimson Dragon, Zoo tycoon, Powerstar golf, Lococycle etc obviously was 360 titles that move to Xbox one exclusively or cross gen.

leeh

They did save all their games for Xbox One. Ryse, Crimson Dragon, Zoo tycoon, Powerstar golf, Lococycle etc obviously was 360 titles that move to Xbox one exclusively or cross gen.
If those calibre of titles are being saved for the Scorpio, then god help us.

Hoo-doo

Banned

You're not exactly painting a positive picture here with those games.

blakep267

Although, a good management structure is a two way street. If you're proposed an idea, or a direction from your manager and you disagree, they should be open for discussion around that idea if you can propose a tweak in that direction with the why.

I'm betting that we're shown some new IP's this year. I feel since Phil has taken over, he's been very receptive to listening what the wider community want. He's always voiced new IP and 1st party is important, but it takes a lot of time to set that up. The time where it's viable to show these new games with close release dates is this E3. If they don't, well, why buy a new Xbox other social aspects and better 3rd party games on the Scorpio.

Your product needs USP's, and without any decent 1st party, the Xbox is lacking those.
But Mattricks way of thinking was working in the latter 360 era. Kinect was selling great. Consoles were selling. The tent poles were selling. Why would you think your future strategies are wrong. Ex. Kinect sports 1-2 sold 9 million copies. Logically you'd think that Rivals would be the. Eat way to go for Rare.

As for New IP, I assume that's pretty much guaranteed since they only really likely would have halo 6 and Horizon 4 next year so there's a lot of space that needs to be filled

MarveI

Truth.

etta

my hard graphic balls
"It takes time to set up a 1st party line-up. They are doing it!"

This same argument has been going on since like 2008. It's Microsoft's version of the old Nintendo mantra "we have a strong 3rd party partnership".
Are you saying Microsoft's first party is nonexistent?
Best in class tps, one of the best multiplayer fps, best in class racer, all this good shit sprinkled on the side with Sunset Overdrive, Ori, Quantum Break...etc.

Get the fuck out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom