• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox first-party is "critical" for Scorpio, says Spencer (Gamesindustry.biz)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmiPrime

Yes that is much better than most thought it'd be given the performance of other JP developed games on the platform not the least of which was FF Type 0.

I hate to break it you but the UK is the only country in Europe where the Xbox One has anything resembling an equal retail presence with PS4. 8:2 is horrible. In other European countries the gap was even bigger. It's impossible to argue that FFXV on Xbox One was anything other than a massive flop.

Leflus

Alan Wake 2 please, with a Steam version a few months after the the Xbox One/Windows 10 store version like Quantum Break.
Xbox wants to move away from publishing games from IPs they don't own. It's more likely that you'll see a Microsoft-published sequel to QB than AW.

It's why the negotiations for Ryse 2 supposedly broke down. MS wanted to buy the IP, Crytek refused to sell it.

Hasn't he been mostly closing studios and cancelling games?

They have almost no studios left, so if they really are going to push the Scorpio with first party games, it's going to be an expensive undertaking considering all the external studios they need to work with.
I like Phil, but it's PR, Xbox has almost no marketing deals, very few studios, a declining user base,...

There's no question that Microsoft of all companies could buy themselves back in the console race, but why would they. It would be a huge gamble.
If they're serious about Scorpio, they should finally make an European push, I bought an Xbox One back in the day, it's a mediocre device in mainland Europe.

Taiser

FMNVs3k.png
1v138A2.png

it's time for Otogi 3.

eizarus

Banned
The more he talk the more I lose faith in him. I used to believe in him when he took over, but now I regret buying an xbox one.
Especially when some people embraced him as the messiah of gaming. It feels like he's just repeating the same things over and over but it's not amounting to much. Hopefully that Japanese studios tour he did recently will change that come E3.

Splatoon was like their only new IP in a decade since pikmin while since the launch of Xbox one Microsoft had sunset overdrive,quantum break,recore, ori, d4,ryse

This just isn't true.

Xenoblade
The Last Story
Pandora's Tower
Pushmo
Wii Sports
Brain Age
Steel Diver
Code Name STEAM

Probably a bunch of others too.

OléGunner;232671119 said:
Wasn't he in charge of first party stretching back to like '08 or '09?
Could be wrong here.

Yep; since 2008.

RexNovis

Banned
i like your optimism...

it's like saying....xbone sold 50 units this week in japan instead of 25 units. That's a 100% increase! Xbox rebound in japan incoming!!

I mean if getting 10% of sales counts as a success I don't really know what to tell you

I hate to break it you but the UK is the only country in Europe where the Xbox One has anything resembling an equal retail presence with PS4. 8:2 is horrible. In other European countries the gap was even bigger. It's impossible to argue that FFXV on Xbox One was anything other than a massive flop.

I'm saying it sold more than most anyone thought it would going by previous JP releases on the platform. I'm not saying it sold well just that it sold well enough to show there might be a profitable audience for JP titles on XB1 in US and U.K. which is hopefully enough to get some development going along with some added monetary incentive from MS.

Breakage

Why is he talking about Scorpio like it is a console that exists outside of the Xbox One family? Scorpio's supposed to be family.

oti

Banned
Why is he talking about Scorpio like it is a console that exists outside of the Xbox One family? Scorpio's supposed to be family.

They're trying a rebranding in a way. The S was a good first step but the Mattrick era is still hurting them.

I'm saying it sold more than most anyone thought it would going by previous JP releases on the platform. I'm not saying it sold well just that it sold well enough to show there might be a profitable audience for JP titles on XB1 in US and U.K. which is hopefully enough to get some development going along with some added monetary incentive from MS.

Honestly though, if a franchise like FF15 cannot obtain average to admirable sales on the XBox, I do not think any Japanese game can.

wapplew

By whom? At least GG existed 5 years ago, and were working on stuff. MS only has Coalition, 343, Turn 10 and Rare to build AAA games. Among them, Rare is the only one that makes new IP.

Do you propose they have been keeping a studio secret from us?

I have no idea.
But we have not idea who is Playground games before Forza Horizon too. MS is good at hire unknown studio. They could also expand internal studio into multiple team studios, lot's of way to improve their first party output.

My point is, MS studios is in rebuild mode, we should be patient.

Dany

Banned
I'm out of the loop slightly. This isn't going to be the xbox one.5, Like the PS4 pro? Sounds like they're just going to make a new gen of consoles.

RexNovis

Banned
Honestly though, if a franchise like FF15 cannot obtain average to admirable sales on the XBox, I do not think any Japanese game can.

Eh you might be right all I'm saying is that it sold more than most were expecting which strengthened their position st the negotiation table a bit. They'll still likely have to help cover any costs for porting the games to the platform but it's something at least.

FFXV performance didn't really change anything. It's the biggest non-exclusive Japanese franchise and still sold poorly on Xbox compared to the market share. It's the performance of the smaller Japanese games that is problematic and still very much in question. 17 percent of 6 million is alright. 13 percent of 1 million not so much.

bigjig

Sure but there are opportunity costs involved. Square Enix would probably look at those numbers and think that their time and effort would be better spent developing a Switch or PC version instead. I wouldn't be that surprised if the XB1 version of KH3 is quietly canned at this rate.

Leflus

I'm out of the loop slightly. This isn't going to be the xbox one.5, Like the PS4 pro? Sounds like they're just going to make a new gen of consoles.
It is supposed to be like the PS4 Pro, but stronger. It's still in the Xbox One family.

kyser73

'We need to give our games time to shine on stage.'

Trans:

'We don't have that many games so each one gets more time.'

Elandyll

Banned
Honestly Rex, for a mainline FF, 70/30 in the US and a likely 80/20 split everywhere else is about as bad as what was expected.

sirronoh

It IS going to be like the PS4 Pro. It's just that the Microsoft PR has been somewhat vague at times leading to the core audience running away with the idea that it could NOT be like the PS4 Pro.

But it is -- full stop.

Thorrgal

Why do this stupid Q&A if he has nothing new to say??

This year long wait from E3 to E3 has been excruciating so they better fucking deliver or it will be disastrous for the brand

Don't worry...the Xbox Secret Sauce that hidden within the waffle that cannot be disclose due to patent reasons and DX12 will be activated soon and all Xbox will be able to support 120fps8K...

/S

A reasonable expectation.

They will reveal 2 or 3 games for 2018, but I don't expect them to blow me away with a barrage of announcements.

What? Microsoft offers new IPs and several non-Gears/Halo/Forza IPs, though. Microsoft's first party strategy deserves criticism, but acting as if all they ever release are Halo, Forza and Gears is just flat out wrong.

Exactly. There really haven't been any signs or whatsoever that they have been working on establishing a new studio or two, nor a brand new IP. But that could simply be due to MS keeping everything under wraps. But if there's a New IP, what studio is making it? Rare?

I would consider their show fine if they.... let's say show the games we expect, a brand new IP or two for next year and not a small game but a big one. Show all the games on Scorpio, announce a boatload of already released games looking and performing much better right from the start, announce several Japanese games Xbox missed out on, not just JRPG and of course hopefully new Moon Studios. I'd say these are realistic expectations.

kyser73

Don't worry...the Xbox Secret Sauce that hidden within the waffle that cannot be disclose due to patent reasons and DX12 will be activated soon and all Xbox will be able to support 120fps8K...

/S

One thing we do know - it won't be a 'half-assed' upgrade.

Maybe.

ViciousDS

Banned

And FFXV is the biggest IP from Japan on the system. A split like that is terrible, if you think it's that bad what happens when you start involving smaller studios who just don't have resources or time for a title to sell just good enough

JimiNutz

Banned
He's saying the right things and not delivering. I guess it's difficult because it's going to take a long time to build strong first parties.

Let's see what Scorpio launches with... I'm expecting new Forza, Crackdown 3, updates for KI and a new big AAA IP. Anything less than that will be a disappointment.

Alx

Er, he's barely talking about the Scorpio at all, as a matter of fact. The only time it is mentioned in his answers is "Having our 1P games ready for Scorpio is critical." (or later "can't talk about that") It doesn't make it exist "outside of the Xbox family".

/S

Nah, you're just talking shite. It'll just be a full PS4 more powerful than the PS4 Pro. Thats going to be good enough for lots of people.

oti

Banned
Eh you might be right all I'm saying is that it sold more than most were expecting which strengthened their position st the negotiation table a bit. They'll still likely have to help cover any costs for porting the games to the platform but it's something at least.

I don't know man. What you're saying is just because XV on Xbox wasn't a total disaster they'll surely invest more resources in Xbox. That's not what companies do usually. MS needs to balance this out by paying tons of money. That works, up to some point.

RexNovis

Banned
Sure but there are opportunity costs involved. Square Enix would probably look at those numbers and think that their time and effort would be better spent developing a Switch or PC version instead. I wouldn't be that surprised if the XB1 version of KH3 is quietly canned at this rate.

Honestly Rex, for a mainline FF, 70/30 in the US and a likely 80/20 split everywhere else is about as bad as what was expected.

FFXV performance didn't really change anything. It's the biggest non-exclusive Japanese franchise and still sold poorly on Xbox compared to the market share. It's the performance of the smaller Japanese games that is problematic and still very much in question. 17 percent of 6 million is alright. 13 percent of 1 million not so much.

And FFXV is the biggest IP from Japan on the system. A split like that is terrible, if you think it's that bad what happens when you start involving smaller studios who just don't have resources or time for a title to sell just good enough

Look given the expectation most everyone had for the SW split as informed by previous JP developed games released on the platform including FF Type 0 it was an unexpected success. Success is a relative term. In this situation it means it sold more than pretty much everyone thought it would on the platform. In my book that's a success and it's also a good bargaining chip to bring to the table when trying to negotiate ports and future releases of other JP developed games on their platform. Notice I said "a bargaining chip" as in one of not the only meaning they will need other incentives as well but at the very least it's a boon to negotiations.

I don't know man. What you're saying is just because XV on Xbox wasn't a total disaster they'll surely invest more resources in Xbox. That's not what companies do usually. MS needs to balance this out by paying tons of money. That works, up to some point.

Which is exactly what I said. It gives them extra bargaining tools at the negotiation table but they'll likely need other monetary incentives as well.

People keep informing me of the realities of JP developed game sales on XB1 as if I'm somehow not aware. I'm well aware. Y'all are too busy focusing on making sure I know something I already know to actually read the point I was trying to make. Nobody is saying the floodgates are going to open or that these games will suddenly be massively successful on the platform. So I would really appreciate it if y'all would please stop trying to correct me on statements I never made.

Isurus

Another day, another Xbox first party thread

'We need to give our games time to shine on stage.'

Trans:

'We don't have that many games so each one gets more time.'

I'm concerned this could be the case. Time will tell. E3 can't come soon enough. At least the speculation will die down then. I'm hoping for the best, as I love Xbox. That being said, if they come only with what we already know, I'm not sure it'll end well.

Behlel

I think the unexpected success of FFXV on XB1 gave them a lot more pull at the negotiating table when it comes to JP developed games. I could see them getting a number of late port announcements and a few day 1 release announcements for future releases.

FF XV a success on XB1? Sorry but are you on Earth?

Breakage

They're trying a rebranding in a way. The S was a good first step but the Mattrick era is still hurting them.
In that case, they should ditch the Xbox One name and any association with it all together. It's mixed messages all over again. They explicitly stated Scorpio is part of the Xbox One platform and that there'll be no exclusives, yet the way Spencer comes across here gives the impression that it's a new platform - he doesn't even mention "Xbox One", just "Xbox".

akern1984

Neo Member
I have no idea.
But we have not idea who is Playground games before Forza Horizon too. MS is good at hire unknown studio. They could also expand internal studio into multiple team studios, lot's of way to improve their first party output.

My point is, MS studios is in rebuild mode, we should be patient.
Ehhhhh?. It is nice to dream.

Pasedo

More 1P games also means more quality games for PC. Meaning more Windows uptake meaning more sales of Surface. I see what you're trying to do Bill. You can't fool me.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I expect Microsoft's E3 to be dominated by Scorpio and their subscription service. Next will be whatever franchise they have a deal with to get dlc first.

I like how people keep informing me of the realities of JP developed game sales on XB1 as if I'm somehow not aware. I'm well aware. Y'all are too busy focusing on making sure I know something I already know to actually read the point I was trying to make. Nobody is saying the floodgates are going to open or that these games will suddenly be massively successful on the platform. So I would really appreciate it if y'all would please stop trying to correct me on statements I never made.

It's almost like some people dont want those games to go to Xbox? How many copies has Final Fantasy sold on Xbox, over 1 million units? Its not going to be the main platfrom for any Japanese Dev but it could be a possibility of increasing a games sales, userbase and reach.

Leflus

Exactly. There really haven't been any signs or whatsoever that they have been working on establishing a new studio or two, nor a brand new IP. But that could simply be due to MS keeping everything under wraps. But if there's a New IP, what studio is making it? Rare?
I don't see Rare announcing a new AAA game before SoT has been released or is at the very least close to release.

Maybe from an external studio?

They published Sunset Overdrive.
In 2014, yes.

Here's what Phil said in january 2014, long after the deal with Insomniac was signed:

@Gabrielsp85 @shikamaru317 Probably a change from the past but I'm more in favor of funding our games. I like growing base of owned IP.
https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/429481693045481474

Poster#1

I think the unexpected success of FFXV on XB1 gave them a lot more pull at the negotiating table when it comes to JP developed games. I could see them getting a number of late port announcements and a few day 1 release announcements for future releases.

it was a success?

anyway Phil, show me the receipt.

oti

Banned
So does this mean they're gonna let their first party do more than forza/halo/gears? Cause that'd be great.
No. They built up their studios to do exactly that.

In that case, they should ditch the Xbox One name and any association with it all together. It's mixed messages all over again. They explicitly stated Scorpio is part of the Xbox One platform and that there'll be no exclusives, yet the way Spencer comes across here gives the impression that it's a new platform - he doesn't even mention "Xbox One", just "Xbox".
It's confusing, but what can you do. MS bled money for years to establish the Xbox brand. Just dropping the brand would be bad.

Phil Spencer, the master of telling people what they want to hear without actually doing much...

poor phil's always just been the manager, not the general manager. the manager's left to deal with what he's provided with, accentuate the positive, & make the best of it. only the gm can actually change things :) ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom