• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your most hyped game of all time?

Cess007

Super Smash Bros. Melee

You guys wouldn't believe the amount of hype I'd for the game. When I watched the Intro in a Toys 'R Us, I freaking lost it. I saved for months for a GC and the game.
And the game delivered. Oh boy, it delivered in spades <3

Pokemon Gold would be a close second.

I think it was eitherher Super Mario 64 or Zelda Ocarina of Time.

Both lived up to the hype and then some.

I try not to get hyped anymore, and have successfully avoided getting hyped in recent years, with a couple of exceptions. Breath of the Wild being one, but I only started getting hyped for it a couple of months before launch, so it wasn't that bad. And it also lived up to it, so far (haven't beaten it yet).

Notable mentions: MGS2, MGS3 and MGS4.

MGS4 completely failed to live up my hype and I ended up hating the game so much. I think it might have been the catalyst to get me to not get hyped for games anymore because it was such a disappointment.

LotusHD

Banned
Hmm, I dunno, I didn't really follow games like that when I was younger. I suppose it was Twilight Princess. That along with the fact that it also came out on the Wii, which as we know everyone went absolutely crazy for, made it a very big deal when I got my hands on it.

Loved the hell out of it, so yea, that was a quality purchase.

EDIT:

Okay, Brawl was another one. The way they'd introduce each character slowly had me hype af

Hikami

Skyrim

I watched that reveal trailer so many times

Played it for like 2 weeks, got burnt out, and never touched it again.

Hazu

1. Diablo 3
The gap between Diablo 2 and Diablo 3 was just way too long, so I was really excited when they first announced it. It wasn't a really good game with it first came out, but with updates it quickly began one of the best game I've ever played. The wait was worth it!

2. Final Fantasy XV
This game is the reason I first bought a Playstation 3, so needless to say I was pretty excited about it. Unfortunately, it turned out to be garbage in my opinion. I did have fun playing it during a few hours (and I did finish the main quest), but after playing games such as Horizon or Breath of the Wild, I just don't think I'll ever be able to enjoy playing it again. It's just an inferior open world game on pretty much every single aspect.

3. Every Pokemon or Smah game
These games make me hyped every time for many different reasons. Learning about new Pokemon or new characters/stages in Smash is just one of the best thing ever.

eggandI

Banned
Street Fighter 4 - Delivered on all fronts and then some. My favorite game of all time. SF4 pretty much defined last gen for me. I bought the game on all platforms it came out on, and played it regularly from 2009 to December 2015. The game's been pretty dead since SFV came out and that's a damn shame.

Halo 3 - Although not as mechanically sound as 2, this game did deliver on the fun factor. I had an insane amount of fun playing this game, and in fact it was the last Halo game I truly enjoyed. Overall it definitely delivered

Diablo 3 - A huge disappointment. The D3 reveal was absolutely amazing. They went all out with a 20 minute gameplay video and a whole bunch of info about the game.

Unfortunately the game that shipped ended up being very different from what they had first shown. Not a bad game but just extremely forgettable IMO.

Opa-Pa

Ocarina of Time, Brawl, MGS4, Metal Gear Rising and Smash 4.

Man, the Smash dojo was the best, and with Sonic AND Snake it was impossible not to be extremely excited.

Rising surpassed all my expectations too, bless Platinum.

Currently it's Persona 5.

Edit: Ah, Twilight Princess too... The one reason I don't let myself get hyped for Zelda games anymore lol.

PillarEN

Halo 3. I almost never pre-order. I remember dropping by the Gamestop on launch day and they just had several cardboard boxes with the game by the cashier desk. I played through the campaign several times and cherry picked various levels throughout the years. The multiplayer was a mainstay for me and my friends. Both online and LAN. Oh how great the LAN was. 4 players could play on one console (why did you take this away? ;_; ) and so you could have 16 people on only 4 TVs. Since it was me and 2 to 3 people living in that place we would easily get a small game going and if we wanted to we could invite many friends for a bigger game.

I don't care about Halo anymore. Sad really. MCC killed it for me.

Mass effect 2, i remember initially being dissapointed that it wasnt more lime the first game than slowly falling in love with it. I love that series so much, the lead up to me2 for me was a huge deal

final_fantasy_xiii_by_denissecroft-d31twei.png

Doubt I will ever be this hyped again.

It had the sci fi setting I wanted and the anime vibe I wanted...the trailers showed everything I liked. And the FFX team was making it.

Probably Persona 5.

Or DS3, and by extension the Ringed City. If only for it being end of an era...bearing in mind I first played a Souls game in April 2016 so...(it was DS1)

A Matsuno + Ito produced FF XVI or Obsidian doing a Star Wars rpg might take the cake.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Ocarina of Time. My first preorder

I got a cool T-Shirt, wore it until it fell apart

Big Wazu

Metal Gear Solid V

Apart from a few problems I have with it, I absolutely loved it. I constantly think about going back to it and have put at least 300 hours into it. Is it my favorite Metal Gear Solid game? No. I can say it's gameplay is by far the best I've ever played in any game.

DrD

Metal Gear Solid 2. Delivered in every way, even if it took me a few years after I played it to start to understand the story.

Metal Gear Solid 4. I was pretty disappointed but still enjoyed it. The game goes downhill after act 2 and the story was a mess, but an entertaining mess at least.

Metal Gear Solid V. Haven't played it yet but I plan fixing that eventually. Don't think it'll disappoint as much as MGS4 since it looks like they nailed the gameplay part at least from what I've seen.

Right now my most hyped is easily Cyberpunk 2077.

Jotakori

FFXV.... and it definitely was a disappointment for me. However I started getting a sinking feeling about it the month or so leading up to launch, so I wasn't completely blindsided by it letting me down at least. But my hype levels were definitely super high before and I was following the game way too closely, and ultimately that bit me in the ass. :/
Think it's probably better to not follow games pre-launch too closely, then I have less expectations.

I've been pretty hyped about P5, too, buuuut I don't think that game will be letting me down. /fingers crossed

AerialAir

Banned
Sad thing is there's probably many like you out there, indirectly contributing to its low sales.

I know. It is sad indeed because I know we're making the series have a painful death in the West. Though I must say that I AM going to buy it, but those games are very expansive for my wallet, the price never drops in mainland Europe and I'm going through DQ8 already.

Emu-Fred

Banned
Mario Galaxy 2.

First game I ever pre-ordered. I would count the days and constantly check the mario wiki for any new info.

Good times.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Of all time?

Probably Super Mario World. I mean, Nintendo was late to the 16 bit party, and I was salivating over 16-bit Mario from the moment Nintendo Power ran a couple shitty teaser screens. It took forever for it to finally arrive. It was torture!

Uncharted 3. Couldn't wait to jump into the multiplayer after beating the campaign. It took me like a year to realize the multiplayer was a huge step down from 2. San Andreas was hype also, couldn't wait to get my hands on that.

_SAKY_

I used drool over magazine articles for months prior to the release of Super Metroid and it completely lived up to my expectations.

Redd

Metal Gear Solid 2. Was rhe biggest reason I grabbed a PS2 at launch in anticipation of it coming out. Had to play lots of ps1 games anf TTT until it came out.

Epcott

You know what... I take it back and say Super Mario World.

The first images from EGM back in the day created massive hype.

Col.Asher

Hmm?, a toss up Between Breath of the Wild, Splatoon, Super Mario Galaxy, and Majora's Mask. They all delivered on that hype

Lingitiz

Halo 3 probably, because of the timing. I was a teenager with a limited amount of money, and a ton of my friends were going to be playing this one. It felt like it was going to be THE game I would play for years to come, and nothing else.

I did end up putting over 1000+ hours into it.

Razorback

Halo. I remember reading an article about it in 1999. It was described as a third person open world game where you could explore an entire ringworld.

I became obsessed with it and joined my first online community on the halo.bungie.org forums. The game changed a lot in the following years, becoming a first person shooter exclusive to a new console I had no intention of buying. Of course, I saved up some money and I did buy it on launch day. Amazingly it lived up and even surpassed the hype. The rest is history.

silentg

Honestly, might still be Super Mario World. Could not wait to get my hands on that game after reading previews in Mean Machines magazine. Didn't disappoint.

More recently, like OP, was extremely hyped for Mass Effect 3.

Top Bottom