• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown gameplay footage

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
the video

Also preview is here

DISCUSS

custom.jpg

Aaron

I was going to call it sexy, but they beat me to it. So instead I'll say they're doing everything I want them to do with this series.

Sentenza

Looks good.
But it never was the look my main concern.

I still think that his argument to ditch Time Units is bogus, by the way.

Ruprit

Does anyone even care about the fps anymore? That's got to be so demoralizing for 2K. Anyhow, looks like a wonderful "contemporary" game. Day 1.

Ponti

Dat glamcam. A bit gutted about the lower soldier count and scrapping of TU's but it still looks awesome regardless.

Yo Gotti

Banned
The base looks amazing, so does the destruction.

This is the one game for me where there's not much to talk about, no real reason to read these previews, I trust Firaxis enough. Just put the game in my hands.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
what I love about this footage is that they managed to make turn-based system look real-time. I love turn-based games like Heroes, Age of Wonders and so on because I play them like chess but I always hated Fallout 1-2 system even back in the day. It was fun and strategic but looked RIDICULOUS. Here enemies react to being shot at even if bullets don't reach the target. This adds a lot (for me at least).

Belgorim

Looks nice. Haven't played the original.
Is this for pc only? Or also consoles?

Considering there are x-box controller buttons in the above video, I would be extremely surprised if it was PC only. The consoles are probably the reason for lowering the body count of your troops.

duckroll

WOW. This looks really, really great. The camera, the presentation. the animations. It just looks really slick, AND it's still a turn based strategy game with base building and management between levels. It looks like a really solid effort and I'm excited to play it. :D

Darkkn

Does X-Com have turns one after another or simultaneous like in Frozen Synapse? Old skool turn based system feels a bit dated imo.

Edit: Oh, it seems to be classic turn based. A bit disappointing, but not too much.

Love what they are doing presentation wise. Camera dramatic camera angles makes game more exciting without altering the gameplay and the base looks really neat.

Considering there are x-box controller buttons in the above video, I would be extremely surprised if it was PC only. The consoles are probably the reason for lowering the body count of your troops.

Yeah i noticed those button prompts too, but that isn't a 100% confirmation.
Anyway, i hope so.

The turn/action thing and (maybe) focus on fewer squad members and their abilities reminds me of Shadow Watch, which is not a bad thing at all. Bring on the new glorious XCom.

Balehead

Been waiting for some video footage, so this is definitely nice even though it doesn't really show much about the gameplay. Loved the look of the base.

This looks good, and I always hoped that turn based games would do more on a cinematic side considering the limitations turn-based combat gives the player.

2012 is just jam packed with so much stuff.

.la1n

Wasn't very interested in the game but this video goes a long way to show how passionate the team is, I hope it comes through for them in the end.

Unghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh @ the music.

Unghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh @ the base.

Unghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh @ everything.

I just want it. IN. MY. VEINS.

(except Glam Cam which needs to be toggable)

Krilekk

Banned

Probably not. That might be a valid argument for a realtime game but for turn based strategy the number of player controlled characters is really nothing but a design choice. And one I like. Just like getting rid of those time units. This looks just like the VATS system from the Fallout games.

Belgorim

Probably not. That might be a valid argument for a realtime game but for turn based strategy the number of player controlled characters is really nothing but a design choice. And one I like. Just like getting rid of those time units. This looks just like the VATS system from the Fallout games.

Oh, I'm not saying it is a technical reason, only that it feels weird to toggle through 10+ units with a controller, so it is not weird at all to make the decision to limit them down a bit. On PC you could have them all hotkeyed instead.

I'm not even sure there is that low of a limit though, have not heard anywhere that you wont be able to have 10+ troops, so I guess my point was irrelevant anyway.

Pooya

man, that base part near the end of the video looked so cool. Gameplay is a lot like Valkyria Chronicles too which is awesome in my book, I want this :D

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
Looks nice. Haven't played the original.
Is this for pc only? Or also consoles?

It was confirmed for 360, PS3 & PC when it was first announced. I'm still hoping for a Wii U version.

The game looks really great and I can't wait to play it. I played the original on my Amiga 1200 where the alien turns could take up to 10 minutes so it was pretty annoying but I kept playing it because it was so much fun.

McNum

Well this is relevant to my interests. Also, it seems that the main screen for the game isn't the globe view, but the base view now. Interesting choice, wonder if they're trying to make the downtime on the Geoscape into something a bit more productive? That would be an improvement, I think.

Mikeside

It was confirmed for 360, PS3 & PC when it was first announced. I'm still hoping for a Wii U version.

The game looks really great and I can't wait to play it. I played the original on my Amiga 1200 where the alien turns could take up to 10 minutes so it was pretty annoying but I kept playing it because it was so much fun.

Looks like it could be a good fit for wii u and vita to me

Regardless, I'll be playing on PC

Top Bottom