• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5 anarchists arrested in plot to blow up Cleveland bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, we're going back to the days of bomb throwing anarchists? What's next, is the Kaiser going to show the French what for? I think the newfangled American League is going to ruin baseball!

sangreal

No, that is the definition of entrapment. Law Enforcement making you do something you would not normally do.

No force is required for entrapment.

Consider this extreme (absurd) scenario:

I would love to take over the country if I could. I have no means to do so. I can't be considered a traitor, because I haven't taken any steps to accomplish my goal. Then I somehow become friends with someone who does have all the resources I would need to take over the country, a plan to do so, and a willingness to help me. In this hypothetical situation, and assuming that I believe it would be succesful, I would go along with my new friend's plan. That would make me a traitor.

Is it entrapment? Probably not, under the law (arguably it is under the definition). According to the logic being presented in this thread, however, I should be arrested now and considered a dangerous traitor because I would, if given the opportunity and resources, try to take over the country. Yet, if that miraculous friend never shows up to give me everything I need, I will never try to take over the country.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I wish it were easy to draw a line with the whole FBI entrapment thing. It's obvious that the FBI has been facilitating (intentionally impotent) terrorist plots, and it is entrapment, but you can't completely throw away the argument that if you can be facilitated you're still something of a threat and that needs to be recognized.

I think that people who have been facilitated by the FBI should face a lesser jail sentence, and an acknowledgement in their criminal prosecution that the FBI let (influenced) their plots (to) evolve to the point they did.

Perhaps they should be hit with lesser conspirator charges.

And to one of the guys above me. The drone situation is fucked up for a lot of reasons. It's great that we have the ability to do these things, but the ability to carry out these missions needs to be accountable. That means that the CIA can't carry them out, and private military organizations can't.

A lot of civilians die because of drone attacks, and we can't have unaccountable assaults.

Slayven

Consider this extreme (absurd) scenario:

I would love to take over the country if I could. I have no means to do so. I can't be considered a traitor, because I haven't taken any steps to accomplish my goal. Then I somehow become friends with someone who does have all the resources I would need to take over the country, a plan to do so, and a willingness to help me. In this hypothetical situation, and assuming that I believe it would be succesful, I would go along with my new friend's plan. That would make me a traitor.

Is it entrapment? Probably not, under the law (arguably it is under the definition). According to the logic being presented in this thread, however, I should be arrested now and considered a dangerous traitor because I would, if given the opportunity and resources, try to take over the country. Yet, if that miraculous friend never shows up to give me everything I need, I will never try to take over the country.

You are still grown enough to say no.

No, that is the definition of entrapment. Law Enforcement making you do something you would not normally do.

Actions by an FBI agent that couldn't make a citizen plan an elaborate terrorist plot to blow up a public land mark:

Put a gun to his head.

Actions by an FBI agent that could make a citizen plan an elaborate terrorist plot to blow up a public landmark:

give the citizen access to firearms.
give the citizen access to explosives.
work with the citizen in planning the plot, with knowledge of strategies, potential targets, and information on how to execute the plot.
pretending to also be an extremist, and putting pressure on the citizen to execute the plot.

Evlar

Banned

Consider this extreme scenario:

Honestly, I think that example I quoted goes even further than that. The informant says, “Revelation is going to come in your dreams that you have to do this thing, O.K.?” That is identical to the kind of language used by, say, an evangelical going door to door trying to win converts. God will show you the truth in your dreams. I've literally heard Christian preachers use that.

When an evangelical uses it to try to convince someone to "get saved" it's plainly proselytizing. When an FBI agent uses it to propose buying a missile from China...

Chichikov

You are still grown enough to say no.
You're moralizing things instead of being practical.
There are countless patsies willing to carry an explosive vest, supply of ideological idiots this is not a weak link in the chain of terrorism.
You want to attack funding and bomb-making capabilities, which are much harder to come by than idiots.

But no, we go after the idiots, because it's easy.

sangreal

Honestly, I think that example I quoted goes even further than that. The informant says, “Revelation is going to come in your dreams that you have to do this thing, O.K.?” That is identical to the kind of language used by, say, an evangelical going door to door trying to win converts. God will show you the truth in your dreams. I've literally heard Christian preachers use that.

When an evangelical uses it to try to convince someone to "get saved" it's plainly proselytizing. When an FBI agent uses it to propose buying a missile from China...

Yes, I agree, but the point I was just trying to make is that right now I would stipulate that I would commit this crime if given all of the resources I need and if I had a belief it would work. It seems to me, that the rest of the fake plot/investigation would be pointless and according to the logic of many in this thread I should be arrested today, even though I will never actually commit the crime I agree that I would commit.

Before the FBI turned Mohamed Osman Mohamud into a bomber mastermind, he was already a failed terrorist trying to get a job fishing in Alaska because he couldn't get a visa to Yemen. The components for his bomb were supplied by the FBI and later assembled into a fake bomb by the FBI. There is nothing to suggest he could have carried out his attack without the FBI.

You're moralizing things instead of being practical.
There are countless patsies willing to carry an explosive vest, supply of ideological idiots this is not a weak link in the chain of terrorism.
But ones who have certain backgrounds, features, passports, that make them far better potential people to use in an attack.

You want to attack funding and bomb-making capabilities, which are much harder to come by than idiots.
We still do that and in significant ways. That's absurd to assert otherwise.

But no, we go after the idiots, because it's easy.
You mean But Yes, since we go after both,.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Why are these guys "anarchists," but jihadists are "terrorists"?

:reads thread:
Ah, OK, they are white.

Well, the article did say that some of them described themselves as anarchists. However, anarchists, terrorist, methodists... They're all the same to me.

ToxicAdam

Come on, you know what I'm saying, don't play semantics with me.
We go after the easiest target instead of the important one.

But, who are 'the important ones' they are missing? You act as if every year there are some mastermind syndicates that are pulling the wool over the Feds eyes and blowing shit up or terrorizing citizens.

you can't completely throw away the argument that if you can be facilitated you're still something of a threat and that needs to be recognized.

I think it boils down to: Who do we want in our prisons? Criminals that actually pose a danger to society OR harmless, impressionable people that, when nudged and guided by an informant, will go along with the planning of some type of violent 'terrorist' action?

And what is it to 'go along' with such a plan? If you don't object loudly, do you agree with it? What if you agree with it, but you're inebriated, or just giving in to the peer pressure of your homespun 'terrorist cell'? Again, the stories show that it's the FBI undercover agents who do the initiating and the hatching of the plot.

There are tens of thousands of people within the US that would 'go along' with such plans when in the right circumstances. Perhaps hundreds of thousands. Hell, there'd be even GAFers who would. It's a waste of money, resources and lives to lock all these people up.

Dude Abides

Banned
That´s the court system. He said the FBI doesn´t care about right wing terrorists just muslims and terrorists, that´s just not true.

Yes, it does rebut his assertion re right-wing terrorists. But it also rebuts your suggestion that the FBI does not go after people in instances where they have no case.

Chichikov

But, who are 'the important ones' they are missing?
You act as if every year there are some mastermind syndicates that are pulling the wool over the Feds eyes and blowing shit up
No, that's not what I'm saying at all.

Here's what I am saying - you can't achieve any meaningful reduction in terrorism by going after people who only possess willingness to be persuaded to act.

I don't feel particularly sorry for that guy, but you are no safer for arresting him.

Cat Party

I never understand the entrapment cry, for one they aren't holding a gun to their heads and two pretty simple to just say I don't want to be involved in blowing shit up.

There is a line that can be crossed, for sure, and I wouldn't give the FBI carte blanche to do whatever they wanted, but I agree with you here. Isn't this how the real terrorist plots come around as well? Bin Laden and Co. didn't fly the planes or plant bombs themselves. They found radicals to do it for them. It's one thing to nudge someone into doing something like smuggling drugs. You can't nudge someone into murder and mayhem.

And this is the same way the police catch other criminals. How often do you hear about a person contacting what he or she thinks is a hit man, only to find out later it is cop. No difference.

ToxicAdam

I think it boils down to: Who do we want in our prisons? Criminals that actually pose a danger to society OR harmless, impressionable people that, when nudged and guided by an informant, will go along with the planning of some type of violent 'terrorist' action?

And what is it to 'go along' with such a plan? If you don't object loudly, do you agree with it? What if you agree with it, but you're inebriated, or just giving in to the peer pressure of your homespun 'terrorist cell'? Again, the stories show that it's the FBI undercover agents who do the initiating and the hatching of the plot.

I want criminals in jails. Period. You still have to be responsible for your actions.

If a police officer drops a loaded gun in a bank and I pick it up to rob the bank, I am still the criminal. It doesn't matter if someone else provided the means to do it. It doesn't matter if I have a low IQ. It doesn't matter if it was an impulsive move.

This wasn't an impulsive act either. This was something that was planned and discussed for months.

Chichikov

I never understand the entrapment cry, for one they aren't holding a gun to their heads and two pretty simple to just say I don't want to be involved in blowing shit up.
There two main problems with entrapment -

• It focuses our limited law enforcement resources on places where we're not sure a crime would've even be committed.
  • It's very easy to abuse such system.

Now obviously, this is not a black and white question, but those are the main concerns I have against allowing such practices to go unchecked.

I want criminals in jails. Period. You still have to be responsible for your actions.

If a police officer drops a loaded gun in a bank and I pick it up to rob the bank, I am still the criminal. It doesn't matter if someone else provided the means to do it. It doesn't matter if I have a low IQ. It doesn't matter if it was an impulsive move.

This wasn't an impulsive act either. This was something that was planned and discussed for months.
You act like being a criminal is a personality trait or a genetic disorder.
A criminal is someone who broke the law, if the breaking would've never happened without law enforcement, is that person a criminal?

You're getting into the dangerous "capacity for crime" territory here.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.

There are tens of thousands of people within the US that would 'go along' with such plans when in the right circumstances. Perhaps hundreds of thousands. Hell, there'd be even GAFers who would. It's a waste of money, resources and lives to lock all these people up.

Yeah, it's a tough sort of thing. I agree that they should be very selective and not take on the role of facilitating beyond the false dealing.

But if you want to talk about people who are suffering at the hands of our criminal justice system, you have to consider the depth of the problems with our war on drugs. It's been shown to be extremely racially biased and poverty biased. It eclipses this... probably tens of thousands of times over, and is aiding in upsetting the economic viability of an entire (and large) group of people. Especially young ones.

In the end I want to make efforts keep my concerns in check, I suppose. I do see your point though.

Criminals are mostly idiots though. Very rarely are they well-educated.

The dangerous ones often are. People who are actually planning on committing terrorism for political ends tend not to be that stupid or gullible, whatever else one may think of them. All of the 9/11 hijackers, for example, were college educated (many at Western schools, no less).

We examined the educational backgrounds of 75 terrorists behind some of the most significant recent terrorist attacks against Westerners. We found that a majority of them are college-educated, often in technical subjects like engineering.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/14/opinion/14bergen.html

(This was looking specifically at so-called "Islamic" terrorism, which is usually more secular and politically motivated than religiously motivated.)

Timothy McVeigh, while never completing college, had obtained a scholarship to go.

"If you met Tim McVeigh and you didn't know his history and you began chatting with him ... you'd find him a very affable, knowledgeable young man," Herbeck said in an interview before the execution.

Anders Breivik fits this mold as well.

The people the FBI pursues in these operations tend to be simpletons. I wouldn't be surprised if a good chunk of them are literally--i.e., clinically--mildly mentally retarded or otherwise suffer from various mental illnesses. They pursue them precisely because they are already surveilling them (itself a problematic thing that law enforcement does that violates the First Amendment) and because they are easy. This kind of law enforcement is in fact optimized to catch the most naive and most simple people who but for the encouragement, prodding, and persuading of law enforcement agents (who typically take the organizational lead to move things along), never would have found themselves in these situations.

If you're willing to go along with a plot to potentially kill innocent people then fk you, you deserve to be incarcerated - regardless of your IQ or education.

Chichikov

If you're willing to go along with a plot to potentially kill innocent people then fk you, you deserve to be incarcerated - regardless of your IQ or education.
Don't you think the more important question here is why the FBI is putting such plots in motion in the first place?

If you look through history, willing idiots are never in short supply, you will never dry that swamp with sting operations.

Again, I don't care that much about that dude, seems like an asshole, but I'm worried about the approach the FBI is taking to counter-terrorism.

Don't you think the more important question here is why the FBI is putting such plots in motion in the first place?
Because idiots with American passports or addresses are of value for wanting to use in terrorist attacks against the US.

If you look through history, willing idiots are never in short supply, you will never dry that swamp with sting operations.
It makes it harder for them to connect with a valid source, discourages people on the line, and makes valid sources doing recruitment have a more difficult time in making contacts. It's one part of Terrorism Disruption.

Again, I don't care that much about that dude, seems like an asshole, but I'm worried about the approach the FBI is taking to counter-terrorism.[/QUOTE]
Why? It's one component of a broad based strategy. It also goes after the money trail and the weapons supplies.

nib95

Banned
Wait I'm confused, all the terrorist suspects linked on the first page are all White. New calls to profile all White looking people next?

Anyway, imo countless uneducated ignorant people could be persuaded to do crazy shit with the right push. Same can be said of every country. Honestly don't think the FBI should be entrapping people like this. Imagine an FBI plot getting some crazies down south to want to blow shit up because they're persuaded Obama is a Muslim set to blow up America or something similar. Basically, a slightly more radical and specific version of what they already hear and see on Fox News lol.

Again, I don't care that much about that dude, seems like an asshole, but I'm worried about the approach the FBI is taking to counter-terrorism.

Idiots very well may see this headline and think twice before joining in on a plot in the future. I see nothing wrong with this.

Wait I'm confused, all the terrorist suspects linked on the first page are all White. New calls to profile all White looking people next?

Anyway, imo countless uneducated ignorant people could be persuaded to do crazy shit. Same can be said of every country. Honestly don't think the FBI should be entrapping people like this.

I bet they listen to heavy metal too.

Time for new legislation!

It makes it harder for them to connect with a valid source, discourages people on the line, and makes valid sources doing recruitment have a more difficult time in making contacts. It's one part of Terrorism Disruption.

It does not accomplish any of that. At all. These people would not try to "connect with a valid source." The "source"--here, an FBI agent--connects with them. It also does not discourage anybody "on the line." There really aren't any such people. People who seriously contemplate and make decisions to commit terrorism (without the inducement and prodding of a government agent) are already politically engaged and connected to like-minded others. It's not like somebody just makes a snap decision one day and then joins up with other terrorists out in a field somewhere. This goes for the last point, too. It does not make people "doing recruitment" have a harder time, because people who are serious about committing terrorism do not recklessly start approaching unknown simpletons for terrorism work. The FBI, sad to say, has that market cornered.

MG310

I'm just going to leave this here.

paul1.jpg

Also the 2nd guy looks like the after shot in one of those before/after Meth posters.

It does not accomplish any of that. At all.
It actually does, you don't want to acknowledge that because it would undermine your whole argument.

These people would not try to "connect with a valid source." The "source"--here, an FBI agent--connects with them.
You have no evidence to suggest that in all the cases they have only connecting with an FBI source and not trying to connect with others. Once again this is because it undermines your argument.

It also does not discourage anybody "on the line." There really aren't any such people. People who seriously contemplate and make decisions to commit terrorism (without the inducement and prodding of a government agent) are already politically engaged and connected to others.
Not always, the best terrorists are the ones who are no the clear cut activist. You want someone with little to no record or involvement in the political aspect. It reduces the risk that they'll be picked up.

Such as this person
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Times_Square_car_bombing_attempt#Prior_to_the_attack

Which begs the question, how do you know that the FBI already hasn't picked up someone who would have followed the same path?

It's not like somebody just makes a snap decision one day and then joins up with other terrorists out in a field somewhere. This goes for the last point, too.
Why not? People are driven to join groups an organizations often on spur of the moment events and decisions. This goes for any type of group (legit or illegal), such as 9/11 causing people to join the military. Someone seeing the Israel's acting stupid and getting hot about that.

It does not make people "doing recruitment" have a harder time, because people who are serious about committing terrorism do not recklessly start approaching unknown simpletons. The FBI, sad to say, has that market cornered.
Except you're wrong about that. You are giving far to much credit to terrorists and their risk management.

Chichikov

Idiots very well may see this headline and think twice before joining in on a plot in the future. I see nothing wrong with this.
I am not aware of any case in history where a terrorism group ran out of patsies.

You defeat terrorism by eliminating its reasons to exist, and you contain it by killing its funding and operational capacity (bomb making, access to weapons etc.).

This is just theater.

I am not aware of any case in history where a terrorism group ran out of patsies.

You defeat terrorism by eliminating its reasons to exist, and you contain it by killing its funding and operational capacity (bomb making, access to weapons etc.).

This is just theater.

Except we're are also doing the containment part of the process too. It's an overall strategy. You need to stop acting like this is the only thing done.

This is just theater.

Well yeah, but you don't give them free reign to bomb things while doing that.

Not surprised to see that the cancerous Occupy movement has created this type of home-grown terrorism. I'm expecting all Democrat leaders to condemn this movement in the harshest terms.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I wonder if we're going to get the usual jumping to conclusions and "This is obviously the work of those damn (insert my currently least favorite political group here) I am outraged!" based on flimsy evidence again.

It seems to happen a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom