• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

I call Cirqus dumb because the best strategy is to ignore basically everything on the table and only play Battle the Ringmaster mode. But it's actually pretty difficult to do that well, and it requires good ball control and timing, so it ends up being challenging to play anyway.

Shaneus

I call Cirqus dumb because the best strategy is to ignore basically everything on the table and only play Battle the Ringmaster mode. But it's actually pretty difficult to do that well, and it requires good ball control and timing, so it ends up being challenging to play anyway.
I call Cirqus dumb because they spelled "circus" wrong ;)
But yeah, there's so much going on with the entire left half of the table, but you can basically ignore the whole thing. It's really weird just how separate that half is from the other side (and vice-versa, obv). Vast majority of games are somewhat unified, but CV... it's fucking weird.

Thematically I like Cirqus, I just don't like how it damned long everything takes. The ball lock animation takes far too long, the Ringmaster animation takes far too long, God help you if you get a sneaky lock you'll be there all day watching the animation.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Standard goal set #16 (Taxi) complete. Fuck those PinBot pickup drop targets.

At this point the only standard goal sets left are three of the four base pack tables (Arabian Nights, Ripley's, and Black Hole), plus Attack from Mars, Firepower, Genie, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Black Knight, Funhouse, Bride of PinBot and Monster Bash.

Shaneus

Only one I have left on iOS is the Black Knight million. Second last was the video mode for TNG. Fuck me, that was a bastard... until I realised you can jump from far left to far right (or vice versa) by HOLDING the flipper and not having to press it twice.

Shaneus

I have it now, but it was more the reflexes for moving two lanes across... but yeah, got that nailed with holding the flipper :)

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I hate Buzz the Gofer so much, it makes whacking a pinball in his smarmy face so much more awesome.

"Go pound some sand, hacker!"
::gets a silver ball to the face::
"Ow, don't hit me, hit Bud!"
::ball drains::
"Hole in one... oops, wrong hole!"

I just love how he throws his dumbass friend under the bus like that!

I have $20 of Steam credit and nothing to buy with it. YET. YET. Right? Surely I'm only waiting another couple of months at most? RIGHT?

• There’s no new information as of late on the statuses of the Xbox 360 publishing issues (which are still being worked through by FarSight) or PC and Wii U release time frames.

WAAAAAH.

Shaneus

Wait, what?

Has "Season 2" ever been mentioned before now?
What wat? Off to PAF...

Edit: Eureka!
UPDATE Table Add-On Pack #14 Pushed Back To Late May Plus Season Table Packs Coming Soon!

• Table Add-On Pack #14 featuring Centaur and Pin•Bot has been pushed back to late May to implement new features and home menu tweaks.

• Season Table Packs will be available for purchase in the next Android, iOS, Kindle Fire, Mac and OUYA updates. Season One Table Pack allows you to purchase the four core tables plus Table Add-On Packs #1 - #10 (for a total of 22 tables) at a discounted price. Season Two Table Pack allows you to purchase Table Add-On Packs #11 - #20 at a discounted price as well. More detailed information on Season Table Packs and possible availability on other platforms to follow.

• New features, home menu tweaks and minor table fixes coming in the next Android, iOS, Kindle Fire, Mac and OUYA updates. I’m hoping to post full details on what’s included in the upcoming updates before release.

• The next Title Update for PS3/PS Vita (NA/EU) should be released by the end of June and will include assets for Table Add-On Pack #13 featuring Space Shuttle/White Water (now scheduled for release in early July) and Table Add-On Pack #14 featuring Centaur/Pin•Bot (still scheduled for release by mid July).

• FarSight has addressed the low framerate issue on the PS Vita version of Dr. Dude and will include a fix in the next Title Update due out by the end of June.

• Links to gameplay videos of Centaur and Pin•Bot have been added to the tables chart.

• There’s no new information as of late on the statuses of the Xbox 360 publishing issues (which are still being worked through by FarSight) or PC and Wii U release time frames.

Fuck. Late May? Ugh.

So how many table packs are we up to now? Because I'm not stoked with the fact that I've bought all the packs individually, but the first ten will be available for a discounted rate for latecomers :/

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Standard goal set #17 (Bride of PinBot) complete. Finally got that 200K skill shot, then got 4 of the 5 wizard goals in the next game. I almost got the fifth one (the 600K PinBot bonus), to boot.

As for the season passes, yeah, it would have been nice to have the season 1 pass at launch, but in a way, if it brings in more people the better. Besides, I don't think most people thought FarSight would get this far enough to offer a season pass. I'd double dip on the Steam version if they offer the season pass there.

I can also confirm that the physics have been tweaked, Doctor Dude plays a little faster on Vita, and I think the jet bumpers on Attack from Mars has been fixed, too, since I got within two hits of activating super jets (AAARGH!).

Shaneus

Oh crap, I forgot I had my Vita with me! Woo! Only have TNG and the base pack on it though.

I'm willing to bet that the main driver behind the season pass is that there's (practically) two entire platforms that necessitate it (counting the 360). 100% double-dipping on PC, though.

I wonder if Wii U support will be dropped? With the lacklustre sales and the fact that the biggest game seller topped the UK chart with less than 1000 sales... it might not be worth them wasting manpower on.

Oh crap, I forgot I had my Vita with me! Woo! Only have TNG and the base pack on it though.

I'm willing to bet that the main driver behind the season pass is that there's (practically) two entire platforms that necessitate it (counting the 360). 100% double-dipping on PC, though.

I wonder if Wii U support will be dropped? With the lacklustre sales and the fact that the biggest game seller topped the UK chart with less than 1000 sales... it might not be worth them wasting manpower on.

I wonder how Zen did on the system. I won't be gutted if they drop Wii U support. At least then I don't have to make a decision.

jvm

Gamasutra.
So, I know this will come as a shock, but something's kind of buggy with the new PS3 patch.

I just loaded up my system and Medieval Madness and Bride of Pin*Bot are showing up as not owned by me. They're not in my master list.

A quick check on the Vita, on which I've also installed the patch, shows that I'm fine there.

I'm going to head to the store and see if redownloading my MM/BoPB pack fixes the problem.

Also, I've been trying to see how my Gorgar score compares to others, but when I filter the scoreboard by friends, I can only see myself. :(

Edit: Redownloading license (100KB file) fixed the problem with MM/BoPB.

So, I know this will come as a shock, but something's kind of buggy with the new PS3 patch.

I just loaded up my system and Medieval Madness and Bride of Pin*Bot are showing up as not owned by me. They're not in my master list.

A quick check on the Vita, on which I've also installed the patch, shows that I'm fine there.

I'm going to head to the store and see if redownloading my MM/BoPB pack fixes the problem.

Also, I've been trying to see how my Gorgar score compares to others, but when I filter the scoreboard by friends, I can only see myself. :(

let me help you out. your Gorgar score is measly compared to Parallax's. the end. :/

joeblow

Played the PS3 version post-patch last night. No new glitches, but I did notice the bumper improvement for Attack from Mars. Getting to 100 bumpers was the only standard goal I hadn't completed on that table, and with the patch I got it easily on my first ball alone.

The stupid invisible bump coming from the right orbit is still there though, randomly sending a returning ball straight towards the drain if you don't nudge it.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
It's free for PSPlus members now, and the Season One pass is up. $30 for the first ten table packs, up to Attack from Mars/Genie, $40 for the pass plus all the pro table upgrades for the first ten packs and base game, plus the Twilight Zone and Star Trek custom balls.

Shaneus

It's free for PSPlus members now, and the Season One pass is up. $30 for the first ten table packs, up to Attack from Mars/Genie, $40 for the pass plus all the pro table upgrades for the first ten packs and base game, plus the Twilight Zone and Star Trek custom balls.
Is that the first 10 packs including the four base packs (assuming one didn't get the base game for free)? If so, that's not a bad deal and certainly one I would've jumped on with iOS.

Glad the option wasn't available from launch for 360, though ;)

The physics in No Good Gofers PS3 are completely different after this update. Also my friends leaderboards are all blank after updating, a bug that many other people have also reported with this update. Meanwhile, Farsight claims that the only thing the update changed was the menus and the ability to purchase the season pass.

Farsight is so incompetent they don't even know what they put in their own updates.

Shaneus

The four base tables aren't counted in the Season One pack AFAIK, except for the Arabian Nights pro mode.

On PSN, at least.
I'm not sure if I like the PSN versions enough to buy a season pass. Whenever I play any of the base tables, they still don't seem to compare to the 360 ones which mustn't have been updated for over a year now.

My friends leaderboards are also messed up, except they don't even show my own score, it just says "None" for every table. Some people on PAF have also reported that their friends leaderboard now includes friends that don't even own the game, next to other random people's scores.

Edit: I put these new Gofers physics to work and tripled my old score. Shots are generally easier in this version.

In another Gofers game, I just had all 3 balls go directly through the flipper during multiball.

banjo5150

Same here I just updated my Vita version and my friends leaderboards is messed up. Just says none for every table also, it don't even try to load scores just says none immediately. A friend and I were gonna do some score chasing this evening and this happens :(

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Standard goal set number #18 (Genie) complete.

I used a camera angle that zooms in on the action when needed, so I could have a better look at the mini play field, that helped a lot.

Shaneus

It's probably the most confusing ruleset of anything I've played. There's still a ton of stuff that I don't know why it happens, but I just figure out stuff that works over time and do that.
It's the same reason I couldn't get into Ripley's when I played the trial of it (or the version that came in the four pack for free on PSN+). There's no obvious shots to make, flow to follow or any clear structure. Funhouse is fine in that regard (advancing the clock etc.) but with NGG, how did I make that hole in one? Why did I only get a 5 for the one before?

Games that require explaining for you to have fun (let alone work through the table modes) are just poorly designed.

Are there quirks to NGG's rules not explained in the papa video tutorial?

Don't know, haven't watched it.

It's the same reason I couldn't get into Ripley's when I played the trial of it (or the version that came in the four pack for free on PSN+). There's no obvious shots to make, flow to follow or any clear structure. Funhouse is fine in that regard (advancing the clock etc.) but with NGG, how did I make that hole in one? Why did I only get a 5 for the one before?

To get a hole in one, first light Driving Range. Easiest way to do this is by shooting the horizontal ramp with the upper flipper. This lights a large blinking light above the two left inlanes. When the ball rolls over either of the left inlanes with that lit (which will happen automatically after that horizontal ramp shot), a small "Driving Range" ramp briefly drops down into the center of the playfield. Shoot that ramp and it sends the ball free-flying through the air. Usually the ball ends up in the main upper playfield which takes it on a path back to the left flipper, which is a normal Driving Range shot. You also might hit the toy golf cart on the back of the playfield for some points. If you angle your Driving Range shot just right, the ball will land in a small playfield in the upper right part of the machine and roll into a hole, awarding a Hole in One shot. There's really nothing else like it in pinball.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Just did a Gofers game with 24 holes in one.

I'm lucky if I even get one, what's your secret?

Games that require explaining for you to have fun (let alone work through the table modes) are just poorly designed.

Hit Buzz and Bud when they come up to lower your score for that hole down to two strokes, you can get holes in one by either making that shot when the slam ramp comes down or through the prize wheel.

Top Bottom