• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Aztechnology
Member
(09-24-2017, 08:44 AM)
Aztechnology's Avatar

Originally Posted by BlastCore

People care more about VR than funding White Supremacy. They can keep their expensive toys for all I care.

If you want to buy products from a company where nobody within that company can be someone you find reprehensible than you should probably start trying to live off the land. Sociopaths tend to make it to the top. Palmer Lucky is one person, he is not VR incarnate. There's a lot of good people involved with VR.
Death Penalty
Member
(09-24-2017, 08:49 AM)
Death Penalty's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aztechnology

If you want to buy products from a company where nobody within that company can be someone you find reprehensible than you should probably start trying to live off the land. Sociopaths tend to make it to the top.

There's a very real difference between giving your business to a company that might contain racists/white supremacists/whatever and continuing to support a company run by a known and active white supremacist who has millions to fund hate groups with and whose coffers will grow with your support.

If you put products above people to the point that you won't even forego a toy to take a stand against hate then you honestly make me ill.
Stilton Disco
Member
(09-24-2017, 08:51 AM)
Stilton Disco's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aztechnology

If you want to buy products from a company where nobody within that company can be someone you find reprehensible than you should probably start trying to live off the land. Sociopaths tend to make it to the top.

There's most big companies being run by unlikable, greedy cunts, and then there's actively funding hate groups and contributing to the emboldening of the modern alt-right movement that has massively destabilised the world, brought bloody Nazis back out of the wood work and thus actually killed innocent people because of that.

There's being a greedy sociopathic cunt, and then there's shit heels like Palmer. The guy is an unapologetic racist that encourages other racists to spread their hate and fear. Giving him money is actively going to harm others.
livelifelove13
Junior Member
(09-24-2017, 08:51 AM)
livelifelove13's Avatar

Originally Posted by The ๖ۜBronx

Mind elaborating?

Huh? That wasn't directed towards you. But I'll respond. As I said, I'm no fan of white supremacy, I just acknowledge that he's an integral piece in the future of VR. Your opinion of him might be passionate in distaste, but it doesn't change the fact that he's a revolutionary figure in the VR industry. All I'm saying. I wish him success because it means the advancement of VR.
Aztechnology
Member
(09-24-2017, 08:52 AM)
Aztechnology's Avatar

Originally Posted by Death Penalty

There's a very real difference between giving your business to a company that might contain racists/white supremacists/whatever and continuing to support a company run by a known and active white supremacist who has millions to fund hate groups with and whose coffers will grow with your support.

If you put products above people to the point that you won't even forego a toy to take a stand against hate then you honestly make me ill.

So, because I bought an Oculus Rift, I'm complicit in white supremacy?
Death Penalty
Member
(09-24-2017, 08:55 AM)
Death Penalty's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aztechnology

So, because I bought an Oculus Rift, I'm complicit in white supremacy?

I wasn't referring to you specifically, but I have absolutely no qualms against saying that if you knowingly support a white supremacist who actively funds and promotes hate groups because you want a leisure product then you should be ashamed of yourself.
Stilton Disco
Member
(09-24-2017, 09:04 AM)
Stilton Disco's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aztechnology

So, because I bought an Oculus Rift, I'm complicit in white supremacy?

Did you buy it while Palmer was still at Oculus and after we knew he was funding hate groups?

Because if so, yeah, obviously. Did you think your money would somehow not be the money given to that cunt?

Of course if you didn't know and bought it while he was there, then fair enough, I'd feel too disgusted to keep it myself if I found out, but if ignorance is enough to give you a clean conscience, more power to you, and if you bought it after the wanker was let go, then I guess you can tell yourself it was just him, and that all the folks that worked with him and that he must have had a say in hiring might not share his views.

Personally, I wouldn't want any association with or to own any product linked to white supremacists or hate groups at all, and would get rid of an Oculus ASAP and replace it with the much better Vive, if only because I'd feel nauseous even touching something Palmer was involved in creating, but you do you.
cripterion
Member
(09-24-2017, 09:12 AM)
cripterion's Avatar

Originally Posted by SeanTSC

Thread full of people not caring about Racism and showing off their privilege hard because it "doesn't matter" to them. Not surprised.

Racism isn't important guys!

These are the same people that shame NBA players because they refused the White House invitation. You should see the comments on those Yahoo news stories.

So many fucked up people this year that somehow feel emboldened by this american president cunt and guys like Palmer that give them exposure.

Originally Posted by Marcellus Wallace

Luckey for him, no one gives a flying fuck.

People actually seem to do, or else he wouldn't even have a platform to stand on again.
Last edited by cripterion; 09-24-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Aztechnology
Member
(09-24-2017, 09:20 AM)
Aztechnology's Avatar

Originally Posted by Stilton Disco

Did you buy it while Palmer was still at Oculus and after we knew he was funding hate groups?

Because if so, yeah, obviously. Did you think your money would somehow not be the money given to that cunt?

Of course if you didn't know and bought it while he was there, then fair enough, I'd feel too disgusted to keep it myself if I found out, but if ignorance is enough to give you a clean conscience, more power to you, and if you bought it after the wanker was let go, then I guess you can tell yourself it was just him, and that all the folks that worked with him and that he must have had a say in hiring might not share his views.

Personally, I wouldn't want any association with or to own any product linked to white supremacists or hate groups at all, and would get rid of an Oculus ASAP and replace it with the much better Vive, if only because I'd feel nauseous even touching something Palmer was involved in creating, but you do you.

I bought it during the Amazon Prime day sale, but I'm sure he still receives some kind of royalty.
Marker007
Junior Member
(09-24-2017, 09:34 AM)
Marker007's Avatar
Gaf really gets off on the hate boners for this guy. Good lord. Maybe topics about him should just be read only or banned out right. Usually ends up with causing more tension than it's worth.
livelifelove13
Junior Member
(09-24-2017, 09:40 AM)
livelifelove13's Avatar

Originally Posted by Marker007

Gaf really gets off on the hate boners for this guy. Good lord. Maybe topics about him should just be read only or banned out right. Usually ends up with causing more tension than it's worth.

Anything other than absolute hatred for the guy is labelled white supremacy. I don't like being labelled a white supremacist when I know in my heart that I'm not one. There's one side at fault here, and it's the fools who deal only in black and white and can't tolerate dissenting opinion.
Last edited by livelifelove13; 09-24-2017 at 09:46 AM.
General Lee
Member
(09-24-2017, 09:43 AM)
General Lee's Avatar
As long as he's spending his money on VR instead of political agendas I'm all for it.
SeanTSC
Member
(09-24-2017, 09:46 AM)
SeanTSC's Avatar

Originally Posted by livelifelove13

Anything other than absolute hatred for the guy is white supremacy. I don't like being labelled a white supremacist when I know in my heart that I'm not one. There's one side at fault here, and it's the fools who deal only in black and white and can't tolerate dissenting opinion.

He literally funded groups to spread Hate Speech. You're right in that there's only one side to be on here and it's very black and white. If you're okay with him doing that and continue to support him then don't cry when you get labeled a white supremacist.
Marker007
Junior Member
(09-24-2017, 09:47 AM)
Marker007's Avatar

Originally Posted by livelifelove13

Anything other than absolute hatred for the guy is white supremacy. I don't like being labelled a white supremacist when I know in my heart that I'm not one. There's one side at fault here, and it's the fools who deal only in black and white and can't tolerate dissenting opinion.

I don't disagree with you. However the group think and echo chamber effect is very strongly at play here. Getting labeled hateful titles outright for not jumping on a hateful lynch mob is kind of sad. It's everything that the guys who hate Palmer are supposedly against but seem to be okay with as long as it comes from their side of the proverbial argument. I don't like the guy after what I've read about him but apparently I've been labeled a white supremacist myself because I didn't fall in line in a previous topic.
livelifelove13
Junior Member
(09-24-2017, 09:50 AM)
livelifelove13's Avatar

Originally Posted by SeanTSC

He literally funded groups to spread Hate Speech. You're right in that there's only one side to be on here and it's very black and white. If you're okay with him doing that and continue to support him then don't cry when you get labeled a white supremacist.

There it is again. You fail to see anything else because you're too narrow-minded. The term "white supremacy" has been completely devalued by fools like you who use it shut down people who disagree with your viewpoint.
SeanTSC
Member
(09-24-2017, 09:52 AM)
SeanTSC's Avatar

Originally Posted by livelifelove13

There it is again. You fail to see anything else because you're too narrow-minded. The term "white supremacy" has been completely devalued by fools like you who use it shut down people who disagree with your viewpoint.

Uh, there's no multiple viewpoints here. Shitty Rich White Man paid people to be racist and spread hate. That's undeniable. There's no BOTH SIDES here.
livelifelove13
Junior Member
(09-24-2017, 10:01 AM)
livelifelove13's Avatar

Originally Posted by SeanTSC

Uh, there's no multiple viewpoints here. Shitty Rich White Man paid people to be racist and spread hate. That's undeniable. There's no BOTH SIDES here.

There is, and there always will be multiple viewpoints on anything and everything. When you narrow it down to black and white, our side or their side, with me or without me, it becomes sheer narcissism. Don't become the enemy you've feared most--that which exhibits intolerance towards others because they don't acknowledge a world view, lifestyle, or existence.
Telephone Man
Member
(09-24-2017, 10:11 AM)
"I don't care about this white person being racist. I don't see what the big deal is and will keep supporting him." - White person, thread #1000

If he promises to stop funding fucked up shit, then it's whatever. But I personally still wouldn't trust him.

Originally Posted by livelifelove13

There is, and there always will be multiple viewpoints on anything and everything. When you narrow it down to black and white, our side or their side, with me or without me, it becomes sheer narcissism. Don't become the enemy you've feared most--that which exhibits intolerance towards others because they don't acknowledge a world view, lifestyle, or existence.

What are you blabbering about? He was constantly liking racist tweets from his girlfriend as well. Her Twitter was so toxic, she closed her account when she was in the spotlight.
Last edited by Telephone Man; 09-24-2017 at 10:16 AM.
rocketskates
Member
(09-24-2017, 10:12 AM)
rocketskates's Avatar

Originally Posted by dhonk

One of the funniest and most inept posts I've ever seen on GAF

Inept? 🤔

Originally Posted by Steeped in a Sea of Games

Everything he touches is tainted. He is a liability. The world would factually be a better place without him funding hate groups. You are obviously a fan of and supporter of a white supremacist, thus making you a fan of and a supporter of white supremacy.

Acknowledging and realizing why shitty person is shitty person does not automatically mean you endorse said person.

Originally Posted by The ๖ۜBronx

What's the appropriate response to someone funding hate groups?

Ahoy, matey.

Originally Posted by SeanTSC

Uh, there's no multiple viewpoints here. Shitty Rich White Man paid people to be racist and spread hate. That's undeniable. There's no BOTH SIDES here.

You do realize that multiple viewpoints is pretty much one of the pillars of foundation that civilization was built upon right
Last edited by rocketskates; 09-24-2017 at 10:14 AM.
Axass
Member
(09-24-2017, 10:13 AM)
Axass's Avatar
I'm never supporting Lucky, as long as I can. He's shown to be a shit bag and a liar on top of it.

Some of the posts in this thread though, attacking others for their desire to judge his tech and intelligence only, are a little too hyperbolic for my tastes.

Remember that we're basically all complicit of several problems just by buying our systems and phones. Foxconn factories have been reported again and again to be basically labor camps where suicides were routine and working conditions sub-par (also instances of child labor). Ignoring the fact just because those workers live far from here and aren't westerners is a form of light racism in itself. Yet, that's standard and nobody in their right mind would attack you for being racist or heartless due to buying a PS4 or an iPhone.
Joey Ravn
Member
(09-24-2017, 10:14 AM)
Joey Ravn's Avatar
I will not be buying anything this asshole touches. If that means not getting into VR at all, so be it.

Also, surprise surprise, Juniors "just asking questions". It never fails.
Aztechnology
Member
(09-24-2017, 10:16 AM)
Aztechnology's Avatar

Originally Posted by Joey Ravn

I will not be buying anything this asshole touches. If that means not getting into VR at all, so be it.

Also, surprise surprise, Juniors "just asking questions". It never fails.

It's because most of us, by the time we make it out of our junior phase just realize it's not worth the energy to argue or discuss it. If anything they are simply naive in thinking there's discussion to be had lol.
Marker007
Junior Member
(09-24-2017, 10:19 AM)
Marker007's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aztechnology

It's because most of us, by the time we make it out of our junior phase just realize it's not worth the energy to argue or discuss it. If anything they are simply naive in thinking there's discussion to be had lol.

I'm slowly realizing this myself. There's a very real stigma here against anyone that isn't aware of the flavor of hatred of the month. Makes me want to go back to just lurking if I'm gonna be attacked for being honest about ignorance on a subject.
The ๖ۜBronx
Member
(09-24-2017, 10:22 AM)
The ๖ۜBronx's Avatar

Originally Posted by Marker007

I'm slowly realizing this myself. There's a very real stigma here against anyone that isn't aware of the flavor of hatred of the month. Makes me want to go back to just lurking if I'm gonna be attacked for being honest about ignorance on a subject.

Your post was this:

Originally Posted by Marker007

Gaf really gets off on the hate boners for this guy. Good lord. Maybe topics about him should just be read only or banned out right. Usually ends up with causing more tension than it's worth.

How is that applicable? You're not being honest about ignorance you're just moaning about the way the discussion about Luckey goes.

Likewise, how is this?

Originally Posted by livelifelove13

Great guy--love what he's done and doing with VR. Keep on trudging through the bog of hate, Palmer. The world is better off with your success!

Aztechnology
Member
(09-24-2017, 10:26 AM)
Aztechnology's Avatar

Originally Posted by Marker007

I'm slowly realizing this myself. There's a very real stigma here against anyone that isn't aware of the flavor of hatred of the month. Makes me want to go back to just lurking if I'm gonna be attacked for being honest about ignorance on a subject.

There's no denying that Palmer Lucky is a very stupid person, who did something that can be legitimately construed as a form of hate speech. It's the residual effect, the, anything in the air around said a person is tainted, that bothers me. It's much too emotionally charged for an industry and products that are so much more than a single person. It's almost like saying all GMO's are bad because Monsanto is a disgustingly conniving company. I don't have a great example so forgive me. But it's basically almost illogical in application to me personally.

Plus it discredits any work a person does because of how worthy we think they are morally. Even if he's a terrible person, it doesn't mean he doesn't have something to contribute that can be good and of value to society. Not utilizing him in some capacity really wouldn't change anything.
Last edited by Aztechnology; 09-24-2017 at 10:30 AM.
The ๖ۜBronx
Member
(09-24-2017, 10:29 AM)
The ๖ۜBronx's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aztechnology

But it's basically almost illogical in application to me personally.

I don't want to support a company that gives Palmer a platform knowing the controversy he was embroiled in. Not sure how that's illogical, unless you're specifically talking about the "fuck all of VR" thing?
livelifelove13
Junior Member
(09-24-2017, 10:29 AM)
livelifelove13's Avatar

Originally Posted by Joey Ravn

I will not be buying anything this asshole touches. If that means not getting into VR at all, so be it.

Also, surprise surprise, Juniors "just asking questions". It never fails.

I love when you GAF senior members who haven't been banned for wrongthink always point out the Junior members when they exhibit a dissenting opinion. Asking questions is the sole catalyst for discussion. When you stigmatize asking questions like it's the calling card of a white supremacist, you've successfully put up a barrier between you and everybody that questions you. What we know from history is that when one isolates themselves from the plight and worldviews of others, they become radicals.
SeanTSC
Member
(09-24-2017, 10:31 AM)
SeanTSC's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aztechnology

There's no denying that Palmer Lucky is a very stupid person, who did something that can be legitimately construed as a form of hate speech. It's the residual effect, the, anything in the air around said a person is tainted, that bothers me. It's much too emotionally charged for an industry and products that are so much more than a single person. It's almost like saying all GMO's are bad because Monsanto is a disgustingly conniving company. I don't have a great example so forgive me. But it's basically almost illogical in application to me personally.

Plus it discredits any work a person does. Even if he's a terrible person, it doesn't mean he doesn't have something to contribute that can be good and of value to society. INot utilizing him some capacity really wouldn't do anything,

Here's the thing and why people get so heated. It's not because of anything he said himself. It's because he took money he made from this industry and went out and courted groups to be racist and spread hate. He used a substantial amount of cash to fund hate groups.

That's not a little thing. That's not some dumb shit said on youtube. That is directly contributing to the spread of some of the most vile shit and worst problems that we have as a country.

If blows my fucking mind that people think they can overlook that.
Aztechnology
Member
(09-24-2017, 10:32 AM)
Aztechnology's Avatar

Originally Posted by The ๖ۜBronx

I don't want to support a company that gives Palmer a platform knowing the controversy he was embroiled in. Not sure how that's illogical, unless you're specifically talking about the "fuck all of VR" thing?

Yea, the fuck all Oculus/VR and people who talk to him without spitting in his face, is what I'm referring to. I can sympathize with disliking a person. I strongly disliked Steve Jobs, I thought he was a toxic person (At least early on, I didn't follow him in his later years). But he was a great businessman, and he had great things to contribute that have truly helped society. So regardless of how I feel about him personally, I think his work speaks for itself.
The ๖ۜBronx
Member
(09-24-2017, 10:34 AM)
The ๖ۜBronx's Avatar

Originally Posted by livelifelove13

I love when you GAF senior members who haven't been banned for wrongthink always point out the Junior members when they exhibit a dissenting opinion. Asking questions is the sole catalyst for discussion. When you stigmatize asking questions like it's the calling card of a white supremacist, you've successfully put up a barrier between you and everybody that questions you. What we know from history is that when one isolates themselves from the plight and worldviews of others, they become radicals.

Oh please 🙄, you wandered into a topic that was discussing his controversy and referred to it as a bog of hate, asked no questions, and expressed a willfull blindness to the things that have embroiled this man since they came to light:

Originally Posted by livelifelove13

Great guy--love what he's done and doing with VR. Keep on trudging through the bog of hate, Palmer. The world is better off with your success!

The intent to provoke couldn't be more clear, so let's not fall back and cite history and pretend that you're being attacked for coming in and asking innocent questions as to why people were upset.
Alienous
Member
(09-24-2017, 10:38 AM)
Alienous's Avatar

Don’t think of me as an Oculus person. Just think of me as a VR person. Everything. Sony, HTC, other companies. Everything.

How about no?

Stull trying to cling onto relevancy.
Palette Swap
Member
(09-24-2017, 10:39 AM)
Palette Swap's Avatar

Originally Posted by Marker007

I don't disagree with you. However the group think and echo chamber effect is very strongly at play here. Getting labeled hateful titles outright for not jumping on a hateful lynch mob is kind of sad. It's everything that the guys who hate Palmer are supposedly against but seem to be okay with as long as it comes from their side of the proverbial argument. I don't like the guy after what I've read about him but apparently I've been labeled a white supremacist myself because I didn't fall in line in a previous topic.

It’s funny how you went from regular JAQing Junior in the other thread to sanctimonious tone police in this one in the span of a day.
livelifelove13
Junior Member
(09-24-2017, 10:42 AM)
livelifelove13's Avatar

Originally Posted by The ๖ۜBronx

Oh please 🙄, you wandered into a topic that was discussing his controversy and referred to it as a bog of hate, asked no questions, and expressed a willfull blindness to the things that have embroiled this man since they came to light:



The intent to provoke couldn't be more clear, so let's not fall back and cite history and pretend that you're being attacked for coming in and asking innocent questions as to why people were upset.

You're right, I didn't ask questions, I was defending those "darn Juniors" who did. You call it a provocation only because you can't tolerate a dissenting opinion. To you, it's not a provocation if I were to parrot the same robotic response as anybody else here--how is saying "fuck you" to Luckey not a provocation? Why is it that my positive praise is seen as a provocation, while the slew of slander is seen as normal to you? Reflect on just why you think that way.
The ๖ۜBronx
Member
(09-24-2017, 10:46 AM)
The ๖ۜBronx's Avatar

Originally Posted by livelifelove13

You're right, I didn't ask questions, I was defending those "darn Juniors" who did. You call it a provocation only because you can't tolerate a dissenting opinion. To you, it's not a provocation if I were to parrot the same robotic response as anybody else here--how is saying "fuck you" to Luckey not a provocation? Why is it that my positive praise is seen as a provocation, while the slew of slander is seen as normal to you? Reflect on just why you think that way.

You dismissed people's opinions as a bog of hate before praising Luckey in absolute terms. That's why it was provocative.

Originally Posted by livelifelove13

To you, it's not a provocation if I were to parrot the same robotic response as anybody else here--how is saying "fuck you" to Luckey not a provocation?

..because he's not in the thread and that's not dismissing anyone's opinion. Do you take insults toward him personally or something?
Last edited by The ๖ۜBronx; 09-24-2017 at 10:52 AM.
Marker007
Junior Member
(09-24-2017, 10:47 AM)
Marker007's Avatar

Originally Posted by Palette Swap

It’s funny how you went from regular JAQing Junior in the other thread to sanctimonious tone police in this one in the span of a day.

Because maybe I don't think it's a good thing to call out some one as a white supremacist just because he was asking a question. I think the practice of jumping on anyone that doesn't outright agree with you without seeing proof of why everyone else is thinking a certain way is healthy. After reviewing the facts about Palmer Luckey I have come to dislike him a great deal. But I don't support the practice of hating on anyone just because they don't fall in line with no questions asked. Knowledge is power and I like to know why I'm supposed to dislike someone before I just blindly accept an opinion of majority.
SeanTSC
Member
(09-24-2017, 10:51 AM)
SeanTSC's Avatar

Originally Posted by Marker007

Because maybe I don't think it's a good thing to call out some one as a white supremacist just because he was asking a question. I think the practice of jumping on anyone that doesn't outright agree with you without seeing proof of why everyone else is thinking a certain way is healthy. After reviewing the facts about Palmer Luckey I have come to dislike him a great deal. But I don't support the practice of hating on anyone just because they don't fall in line with no questions asked. Knowledge is power and I like to know why I'm supposed to dislike someone before I just blindly accept an opinion of majority.

Here's some context for this on NeoGAF: "Just Asking Questions" people have a long history of being junior burner-accounts/alt- accounts for dogwhistling, flat out being racist, transphobia, and other vile things. They're famous for making threads into graveyards for banned juniors. People call that shit out because there's a consistent pattern of it.
livelifelove13
Junior Member
(09-24-2017, 10:56 AM)
livelifelove13's Avatar

Originally Posted by The ๖ۜBronx

You dismissed people's opinions as a bog of hate before praising Luckey in absolute terms. That's why it was provocative.

You want to talk about absolute terms? How about the people dogpiling and calling me and others white supremacists for not completely loathing the guy? A thread full of people, Twitter, and every comment section or forum mentioning the guy--besides maybe The_Donald--has people saying "fuck you" and other hateful terms. THAT isn't a "bog of hate" to you? It wasn't some generalization--you and 90% of the people on this forum HATE this guy.
Marker007
Junior Member
(09-24-2017, 11:01 AM)
Marker007's Avatar

Originally Posted by SeanTSC

Here's some context for this on NeoGAF: "Just Asking Questions" people have a long history of being junior burner-accounts/alt- accounts for dogwhistling, flat out being racist, transphobia, and other vile things. They're famous for making threads into graveyards for banned juniors. People call that shit out because there's a consistent pattern of it.

Well, you can check my posting history. I have nothing but mutual respect for other minority groups and I have no hate directed at anyone here. I just wish to be treated respectably and not knee jerk labeled as something I'm not. That's the only problem I have here.
The ๖ۜBronx
Member
(09-24-2017, 11:07 AM)
The ๖ۜBronx's Avatar

Originally Posted by livelifelove13

You want to talk about absolute terms? How about the people dogpiling and calling me and others white supremacists for not completely loathing the guy? A thread full of people, Twitter, and every comment section or forum mentioning the guy--besides maybe The_Donald--has people saying "fuck you" and other hateful terms. THAT isn't a "bog of hate" to you? It wasn't some generalization--you and 90% of the people on this forum HATE this guy.

People saying they don't want to support someone who financially supported hate groups is not what I'd refer to dismissively as being a bog of hate. Doing so in the context of that discussion before saying you've liked all he's done is provocative. You're dismissing opinions and ignoring context that's particularly charged and relevant at the moment, to purport blind support of the guy.
SeanTSC
Member
(09-24-2017, 11:14 AM)
SeanTSC's Avatar

Originally Posted by Marker007

Well, you can check my posting history. I have nothing but mutual respect for other minority groups and I have no hate directed at anyone here. I just wish to be treated respectably and not knee jerk labeled as something I'm not. That's the only problem I have here.

And that's fine. So here's why people get so passionate and upset about this:

This little man-child, Luckey Palmer, specifically went out of his way to fund groups aligned with white nationalism to go out and spread racism and hate. It's not something he said on youtube. It's not some dumb comment you could misconstrue. It's not his "political viewpoint" or what party he donated to. This pathetic, little coward went out with the express purpose of spreading hate speech and paid people to do it.

He had a goal to spread hate and racism. He funded the spread of it. That's fucked up. There's no both sides here. It's very black and white. He took money made from the VR industry and did this. It's not going away. That's going to follow him everywhere and anytime he is brought up.

I don't believe that any decent human being should be able to just brush that aside and work with him or buy products associated with him like it's nothing. What he did means something and it's extremely vile.
Godzilla's Left Toe
Member
(09-24-2017, 11:15 AM)
Godzilla's Left Toe's Avatar
Is the new company called Nazi R Us?
nephilimdj
Member
(09-24-2017, 11:17 AM)
nephilimdj's Avatar
VR is the future of rehab and hes pushing hard on it
https://uploadvr.com/palmer-luckey-e...enting-nerves/

We already know its gonna work since we have things like mirror therapy and blind people who can see based on pressing on their tongue.
Hes really not going away, most of the top colleges in the world have teams working on this.
Last edited by nephilimdj; 09-24-2017 at 11:38 AM.
livelifelove13
Junior Member
(09-24-2017, 11:20 AM)
livelifelove13's Avatar

Originally Posted by The ๖ۜBronx

People saying they don't want to support someone who financially supported hate groups is not what I'd refer to dismissively as being a bog of hate. Doing so in the context of that discussion before saying you've liked all he's done is provocative. You're dismissing opinions and ignoring context that's particularly charged and relevant at the moment, to purport blind support of the guy.

You can justify all the hateful comments towards this guy simply because you don't agree with his worldview. What you consider provocation, I consider difference of opinion. You say that I dismiss opinions--can I at least say that I acknowledge your concerns with the guy? I just wanted to emphasize that I separate the man's intellect and abilities from his political stances and actions. I think he's great at what he does, and that he plays an essential role in the future of VR. I never supported his positions. If he was an actor, I'd move on to liking another actor. But we're talking about a guy who pioneered VR into the mainstream and has poured financial support into fostering the growth of VR in the modern age. This is a gaming forum, so naturally I'd be excited about this prospect. Sue me.
Joey Ravn
Member
(09-24-2017, 11:27 AM)
Joey Ravn's Avatar

Originally Posted by Marker007

Well, you can check my posting history. I have nothing but mutual respect for other minority groups and I have no hate directed at anyone here. I just wish to be treated respectably and not knee jerk labeled as something I'm not. That's the only problem I have here.

I shouldn't have to search your post history to read your intentions when you make a post. If you, or anyone else, wanders into a topic that is being discussed extensively, shows absolutely no desire to understand why the topic is controversial or people are taking a certain position and starts "just asking questions" that are easily answered with even a cursory search before posting... well, don't expect others not to raise an eyebrow.

You won't get dogpiled or banned for having a dissenting opinion. That's complete bullshit. You'll get called out for faking naïvité to derail the thread or posting without even attempting an effort at informing yourself of the topic at hand. If you don't want to be thrown into the "trollish Juniors" bag, then don't act like them.

Originally Posted by livelifelove13

You can justify all the hateful comments towards this guy simply because you don't agree with his worldview. What you consider provocation, I consider difference of opinion. You say that I dismiss opinions--can I at least say that I acknowledge your concerns with the guy? I just wanted to emphasize that I separate the man's intellect and abilities from his political stances and actions. I think he's great at what he does, and that he plays an essential role in the future of VR. I never supported his positions. If he was an actor, I'd move on to liking another actor. But we're talking about a guy who pioneered VR into the mainstream and has poured financial support into fostering the growth of VR in the modern age. This is a gaming forum, so naturally I'd be excited about this prospect. Sue me.

Well, for starters, you consider white supremacy, racism and "meme magic" a "worldview". So there's that.

Then, whether this guy was a pioneer in VR doesn't somehow exhonerate him of his shitty behavior as a human being. So there's that.
Last edited by Joey Ravn; 09-24-2017 at 11:29 AM.
Bold One
Member
(09-24-2017, 11:43 AM)
Bold One's Avatar

Originally Posted by livelifelove13

There is, and there always will be multiple viewpoints on anything and everything. When you narrow it down to black and white, our side or their side, with me or without me, it becomes sheer narcissism. Don't become the enemy you've feared most--that which exhibits intolerance towards others because they don't acknowledge a world view, lifestyle, or existence.

Ah yes, "those who oppose racists are the real racists because they refuse to acknowledge racism as another viewpoint" - livelifelove13, you coward.
livelifelove13
Junior Member
(09-24-2017, 11:44 AM)
livelifelove13's Avatar

Originally Posted by Joey Ravn

I shouldn't have to search your post history to read your intentions when you make a post. If you, or anyone else, wanders into a topic that is being discussed extensively, shows absolutely no desire to understand why the topic is controversial or people are taking a certain position and starts "just asking questions" that are easily answered with even a cursory search before posting... well, don't expect others not to raise an eyebrow.

You won't get dogpiled or banned for having a dissenting opinion. That's complete bullshit. You'll get called out for faking naïvité to derail the thread or posting without even attempting an effort at informing yourself of the topic at hand. If you don't want to be thrown into the "trollish Juniors" bag, then don't act like them.



Well, for starters, you consider white supremacy, racism and "meme magic" a "worldview". So there's that.

Then, whether this guy was a pioneer in VR doesn't somehow exhonerate him of his shitty behavior as a human being. So there's that.

I never said I'd get banned for having a dissenting opinion, I said I'd get dogpiled for it--and if you knew what "dogpiled" meant, you'd agree that I did get dogpiled. I never said "meme magic" either, numbnuts. Whatever, you and I just function differently. I'm willing look toward the future of VR and the monumental success that it'll be and has been--thanks to Palmer Luckey. You dwell on the past, forever stagnating in a bog of hate.
Last edited by livelifelove13; 09-24-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Anticol
Banned
(09-24-2017, 11:45 AM)
Fuck Luckey.
Taker34
Member
(09-24-2017, 11:47 AM)
Taker34's Avatar

Originally Posted by livelifelove13

I never said I'd get banned for having a dissenting opinion, I said I'd get dogpiled for it--and if you knew what "dogpiled" means, you'd agree that I did get dogpiled. I never said "meme magic" either, numbnuts. Whatever, you and I just function differently. I'm willing look toward the future of VR and the monumental success that it'll be and has been--thanks to Palmer Luckey. You dwell on the past, forever stagnating in a bog of hate.

livelifelove13
Junior Member
(09-24-2017, 11:49 AM)
livelifelove13's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bold One

Ah yes, "those who oppose racists are the real racists because they refuse to acknowledge racism as another viewpoint" - livelifelove13, you coward.

So every differing viewpoint to you is racism? Only furthering the notion that you fail to acknowledge any opinion that isn't yours
Izcarielo
Member
(09-24-2017, 11:51 AM)

Originally Posted by Enduin

Your original post is just nonsense that has nothing to do with what I asked, acting like people hating on Luckey for funding white supremacy is some trivial annoyance that derails from the real discussion of VR is pathetic and your edit is marginally relevant at best yet still does not address my question at all of why do people, ie actual companies, care about this guy today.

His initial contributions are undeniable. That's not up for debate or a secret. But it's not 2012, it's 2017. VR is a major industry now with tons of huge corporations and companies going all in on it with tons of really brilliant hardware and software engineers that have nothing to do with Luckey. In those 5 years what has Luckey done or shown that has set him apart as being especially unique seeing as his initial work was was relatively easily and quickly picked up by several other companies, and done better in many cases both in quality of product and market penetration by huge margins. So what still makes him such a special snowflake in the VR world that he's still worth listening to and working with? Especially in light of his now very public and abhorrent views and funding activities.

In the immortal words of Janet Jackson; what have you done for me lately? Aside from being a huge PR nightmare for Oculus and Facebook?



Very good at it how? He was an enthusiast whose Kickstarter blew up. What insights has he shown since then that make him such an interesting and unique person in the now very large and diverse VR space to care so much about? Being the first guy to the party doesn't entitle you to anything or make you special in the long run.

dude, idk, but if he keeps being invited to events and companies want to work with him then maybe, JUST MAYBE, might mean the guy has very clever ideas and knows VR from inside out and can help companies develop VR games & utilities.
I dont know anything about VR industry, what he has or hasnt shown, but one thing is clear: the guy’s an ass, and hes also very good at this tech. Thats it. Otherwise, as you say, none would be interested in him.
Last edited by Izcarielo; 09-24-2017 at 11:53 AM.

Thread Tools