• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 James Vega Featurette

Zen

Banned
I wonder how its going to play off if you play as Femshep. I know chicks can fight, but it wouldnt seem realistic with Vega taking out his frustration on a chick like that... or maybe it does. And I'm guessing/hoping its an optional thing like he says, "Want to spar with my Shep?" and you say, "Fuck off".

It can happen, but not with someone like Vega that looks exceptionally roided. Well Lair of the Shadow Broker had femshep punching the crap out of an alien that was several times her mass, so eh.

Derrick01

Banned
Yeah same here. I don't really get the hate for Freddy, I mean he seems really passionate and such about the games, and his character. I have faith he'll do his best for sure.

I don't hate Freddie and I do like his passion in the video but at the end of the day he's an actor and he has to act however Bioware wants him to. I still have a hard time believing Vega will be anything but a douchebag.

commander-shepard1.jpg

Guy's just as dead-eyed and robotic IRL, so don't blame Bioware.

The problem is that he doesn't really look badass, Bruce Willis looks badass, Viggo Mortensen looks badass, Gerard Butler looks badass, heck maybe even Eric Bana looks badass in Blackhawk Down, this guy just looks like an old male supermodel which is what he is, he doesn't look like some hardass military commando dude at all, and that voice.

Jarmel

Banned
The problem is that he doesn't really look badass, Bruce Willis looks badass, Viggo Mortensen looks badass, Gerard Butler looks badass, heck maybe even Eric Bana looks badass in Blackhawk Down, this guy just looks like an old male supermodel which is what he is, he doesn't look like some hardass military commando dude at all, and that voice.

I think that was kinda the point. He was supposed to look sleak as that fit into the 70's Sci-Fi theme the original had going.

Samara

I think it's most likely because he looks racially ambiguous. Same thing with the Kaidan/Ashley face model.

Didn't watch the vid, but God that punch looks weak Vega: Another one!

I think that was kinda the point. He was supposed to look sleak as that fit into the 70's Sci-Fi theme the original had going.

Default male Shepard fits in best when he's dancing in a futuristic techno disco and that's about it, he just looks out of place everywhere else, I mean you don't have to go all out like Gears-style meathead Marcus Fenix, but the guy is supposed to be spec-ops military, there's a certain edge to it, like a Stanley McChrystal, even Dick Winters back when he was still alive, for an old man relatively soft-spoken in civilian life he's got that hardass stare, with Shepard there's none of that, he's just some model-looking dude trying to get it on, Bioware's concept of a hardass military commando is as spot-on as their idea of asian people in Jade Empire. Do the folks at Bioware actually think your everyday hardass marine actually looks puffed up and beefy like James Vega?

zashga

Freddie is great. It's a shame he didn't get to play a more interesting character. Everything we've seen of Vega so far makes him look extremely bland.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

He looks rugged enough. Not every soldier has to be a roided dudebro.

I don't get the vega hate.

If I were to form a group that is going to fight giant robots from space I would rather have the dudebro soldier that knows how to handle a gun than the multifaceted guy with too many issues to pull The trigger.

But that's just me, I want to survive.

If I were to form a group that is going to fight giant robots from space I would rather have the dudebro soldier that knows how to handle a gun than the multifaceted guy with too many issues to pull The trigger.

But this is also a video game with lots of other alien races. If I wanted to play a game with more human allies, I would pick up one of the dozens in stores.

Wasted opportunity, is all.

Dacon

Banned
He looks rugged enough. Not every soldier has to be a roided dudebro.

Badass soldier=/=roided dudebro

Admiral Hackett looks badass and you can tell he's been through some shit.

Shepard's expressionlessness is the current-gen equivalent of everyone in Final Fantasy X calling your main character 'star player of the Zanarkand Abes' over and over again because they let you name him.

Is it nice to be able to customize your character's appearance? Sure. But don't be surprised when there are some MASSIVE trade-offs in animation and expression quality.

Not just the customized characters. Vega's suffering from stone face too.

DTKT

Yeah, but that's not why I play Mass Effect. I play ME to actually interact with the characters. Dudebro bald marine number 5679 is not an interesting premise for a character I will spend 20 hours with.

Replicant

What I don't get is if FPJ voiced the character, why didn't they just model Vega after him? At least he'd be good-looking as opposed to the monstrosity that Vega looks like now. My guess is the voice acting casting call was made after the modeling?

Kinyou

What I don't get is if FPJ voiced the character, why didn't they just model Vega after him? At least he'd be good-looking as opposed to the monstrosity that Vega looks like now. My guess is the voice acting casting call was made after the modeling?
Yeah it's weird. I'd actually prefer FPJ over Vega in my team.

Sober

Yeah it's weird. I'd actually prefer FPJ over Vega in my team.
Yeah it's weird because when I imagined Vega's voice it wasn't even close to FPJ.

Maybe they will remodel him again because his current model (as of in the video) still stands out because his head is like the size of Maleshep's torso.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah it's weird because when I imagined Vega's voice it wasn't even close to FPJ.

Maybe they will remodel him again because his current model (as of in the video) still stands out because his head is like the size of Maleshep's torso.

The game will be gold in like 3-4 weeks tops.

inky

Because he is a bland, generic, boring marine type dude in a game that due to genre alone has almost unlimited possibilites. I don't think that many people were initially attracted to the ME series because it offered a hard military shooter experience on space filled by a human crew mainly, or at least I would like to think that is not the case, but Bioware sure is set on pushing it hard that way. Besides, Jacob kind of already filled that role.

Although maybe 60% (or whatever percentage it is) of people playing default Shepard soldier class prove me wrong and most people do want human characters bro-ing it up while killing aliens.

Uh, what?

Something something haters something something leave Bioware/EA alone.

Jarmel

Banned
Because he is a bland, generic, boring marine type dude in a game that due to genre alone has almost unlimited possibilites. I don't think that many people were initially attracted to the ME series because it offered a hard military shooter experience on space filled by a human crew mainly, or at least I would like to think that is not the case, but Bioware sure is set on pushing it hard that way. Besides, Jacob kind of already filled that role.

No Jacob does not fill Vega's role. Vega's role is to show the effect the past years and current events are having on society. His role as the PTSD soldier gives some sort of emotional depth to the game. Look at Halo, regular soldiers are seeing entire fucking planets razed and yet PTSD is rarely if ever brought up. He also can easily work as a foil for Shepard to voice his/her feelings on previous events. Now as to whether he had to be human? My guess is that this was done in order to more easily connect with the audience.

kai3345

Banned
I like the idea behind the character, but knowing Bioware I feel like they won't handle the character well at all.

One of these days Obsidian needs to do a Mass Effect game. I fell like they could do something amazing with this universe.

Fist fight aside, the animations look really good.

Yup, said it before and I totally agree. Has motion blur has been added to the game as well? Movement in general looks a lot more...motion blurry.

Judging by the videos it seems to. It looks wonderful in motion.

Edit:
I like the idea behind the character, but knowing Bioware I feel like they won't handle the character well at all.

One of these days Obsidian needs to do a Mass Effect game. I fell like they could do something amazing with this universe.

Damn son, on a roll. Obsidian would do a marvelous job with the ME universe. They are writing gods.

Kyoufu

I'm in the mood to play ME2 again. Only because I want Ashley on my ME3 file.

I want to play ME1 also, purely because it's still awesome today.

DTKT

No Jacob does not fill Vega's role. Vega's role is to show the effect the past years and current events are having on society. His role as the PTSD soldier gives some sort of emotional depth to the game. Look at Halo, regular soldiers are seeing entire fucking planets razed and yet PTSD is rarely if ever brought up. He also can easily work as a foil for Shepard to voice his/her feelings on previous events. Now as to whether he had to be human? My guess is that this was done in order to more easily connect with the audience.

what.

Where did the PTSD part come from?

inky

Nothing I've seen suggests what you say. Sure, he brings a soldier's perspective to the game (like we don't have enough of those already), but he's shown to be just a more loyal-than-most and hard marine. That's it. (I did not read the leaked script before anyone goes that way). If they manage to make something interesting with the character I can accept it, but it doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe the compaison to Jacob wasn't apt, I'll give you that. I was talking more about having the soldier type, fit, weapons dude.

And yes, I was coming from the position of having more interesting aliens in your team, not just human soldier types again and again.

Jarmel

Banned
what.

Where did the PTSD part come from?

It's mentioned in the video (around the 0:58 mark) and the comics to an extent. They don't actually state PTSD but FPJ meant it.

Nothing I've seen suggests what you say. Sure, he brings a soldier's perspective to the game (like we don't have enough of those already), but he's shown to be just a more loyal-than-most and hard, marine. That's it. (I did not read the leaked script before anyone goes that way). If they manage to make something interesting with the character I can accept it, but it doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe the compaison to Jacob wasn't apt, I'll give you that. I was talking more about having the soldier type, fit, weapons dude.

And yes, I was coming from the position of having more interesting aliens in your team, not just human soldier types again and again.

The comics show he has PTSD to an extent but he does idolize Shepard, which is very understandable.

rozay

Banned
He definitely seems pretty passionate about the role, I just wonder if that'll translate well to the game. To be honest though, the look of his characters and enemies/the new armors they've shown us makes me sad considering how much bulkier and out of place they are compared to what we've seen in ME1 and ME2.

Top Bottom