• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Todd Howard "can't say" whether Skyrim Switch is the original or enhanced edition

Which industry personality is most deserving of the benefit of the doubt with PR?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ponn

Banned
The last time we got a non-answer on the subject of Skyrim on Switch, Skyrim turned out to in fact be coming to Nintendo Switch.

More probably, the answer is that it's somewhere in the middle, with some of the changes from the enhanced edition but some additional changes + tweaks to make the game work well on the Switch hardware.

Without all the enhancements and no mod support (please if anyone thinks THATS going to happen) is it closer to the SE version then or a slightly enhanced original version? People are free to spin it however they want i'm just saying a non-answer like that for a pretty straightforward question rarely turns out marshmallows and rainbows.

Skyrim rendered in the Morrowind engine "We know Nintendo fans have a lot of respect for classic games and so we made Skyrim as a Morrowind mod. It's basically 90% of the full fat PC Morrowind engine with almost all of the effects but set in Skyrim." 720p 30fps

You are kidding right ? Don't expect better graphics than the 360, if not lower.
???

There is no reason to think this. The Switch in handheld mode for all intents and purposes seems to be equivalent to the Wii U, which was a side step and a slight upgrade from the 360. The Switch also benefits from architectural improvements and 4GB of RAM.

It's not going to be as pretty as the SE and I pointed out the two things I think will go first - light shafts as they are performance intensive and texture quality due to the more limited RAM.

Without all the enhancements and no mod support (please if anyone thinks THATS going to happen) is it closer to the SE version then or a slightly enhanced original version? People are free to spin it however they want i'm just saying a non-answer like that for a pretty straightforward question rarely turns out marshmallows and rainbows.

Given that they sold the PS4 version as the SE version without full mod support, I'm gonna go ahead and say that mod support isn't essential.

And I don't think having 80% parity with the SE version otherwise would make it a "slightly enhanced original version," either.

You are kidding right ? Don't expect better graphics than the 360, if not lower.

Except the chips used in Nintendo Switch easily outperform the 360.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...sing-revengeance-android-performance-analysis

7roject28

I'm telling you, it'll be the Special Nintendo Edition with all sorts of Nintendo themed mods and HD rumble support, possibly optional motion controls.

Book it.

Yeah I bet they added motion control to it. Each joycon will control each specific hand. Maybe swing to swing sword. Thrust forward to shoot magic.

Ponn

Banned
Given that they sold the PS4 version as the SE version without full mod support, I'm gonna go ahead and say that mod support isn't essential.

And I don't think having 80% parity with the SE version otherwise would make it a "slightly enhanced original version," either.

Source?

No one has any source, hence this thread.

But my guess is there'll be minor concessions rather than just a small bump from the original console versions. And I'm arriving on that conclusion with no less evidence than you are at yours.

Surely if that was the case he could just say "I can't say much, but we are fine tuning the experience for the Switch" without possibly breaking any NDA

Polygon isn't reporting the full question and answer at this time, so how would we know he didn't say something to this effect?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
My guess is that it's some sort of Switch Exclusive version, that may have a couple extras, including all the enhanced Edition content. Otherwise, this doesn't make sense.

Either this, or they honestly don't know what it will be yet. It's possible, that they want to get further along in development, to confirm that the game will be intact in all facets, before proclaiming what will or won't be in the port yet.

Surely if that was the case he could just say "I can't say much, but we are fine tuning the experience for the Switch" without possibly breaking any NDA

Edit: Also in case you guys didn't realise this, the last Poll option is a trick option. As we all know, Todd Howard is the dark one himself.

Time will tell. But don't get your hype too High. The Switch isn't a powerhouse.

It actually has a bit more juice than the 360 even in portable mode.

I feel like people don't remember what 360/PS3 Skyrim actually looked like. I remember actually seeing it (after I had played over a hundred hours of a lightly modded PC version) and was actually stunned by how bad it looked.

RqSEvsg.jpg

56cqeDB.jpg

O0Q3G7l.jpg

UChrOYc.jpg

LPJf7xr.jpg

8sNycXu.jpg

wXUNLhc.jpg

yUc9urX.jpg

Uct0AAO.jpg

Time will tell. But don't get your hype too High. The Switch isn't a powerhouse.
It isn't, but we know from Wii U ports and the leaked specs that it is basically a portable Wii U in handheld mode, and around 2x that power when docked.

So it is absolutely silly to think it will look "worse than the 360 version", especially when it will probably at least have better textures than that version due to the increase in available RAM.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I feel like people don't remember what 360/PS3 Skyrim actually looked like. I remember actually seeing it (after I had played over a hundred hours of a lightly modded PC version) and was actually stunned by how bad it looked.

360_013.bmp.jpg

newPS3_013.bmp.jpg

360_008.bmp.jpg

newPS3_008.bmp.jpg

360_015.bmp.jpg

newPS3_015.bmp.jpg

360_011.bmp.jpg

newPS3_011.bmp.jpg

360_033.bmp.jpg

That's some premium hotlinking Mr. Mod-San

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
wait, Switch isn't more powerful then 2 PS4's taped together?!?

jtb

Banned
Whatever.

Bethesda's track record with console ports is abysmal and I expect nothing different here. Whether it's hedging their bets or actually shipping out the last gen version of Skyrim, I don't know or care.

JP

What's the difference between the two versions, I mean apart from the improved graphics? Is it not going to just look like a Switch version of Skyrim which ever version it's based on?

120v

specifying which version it is would pigeonhole them to a certain standard. it was obvious it wouldn't be a straight SE port and i don't think they have the brass to simply port 2011 vanilla either

because SE started as a test for running FO4 at the baseline i'm guessing this is sort of an experiment as well. the finished game should be telling what the console is ultimately capable of... big ass last gen game with "better" graphics

Wedzi

Banned
I assumed it was some kind of custom version based of the enhanced version but then downgraded to whatever can run consistently on the Switch. But who knows!

I would say it's a modified last-gen version with some graphical enhancements found in the Enhanced but not all. That's really the only reason to justify it short of simply thinking Todd is fucking with us for no reason.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
What's the difference between the two versions, I mean apart from the improved graphics? Is it not going to just look like a Switch version of Skyrim which ever version it's based on?

Not much except the new lighting engine and some ridiculously costly godrays.

Ponn

Banned
No one has any source, hence this thread.

But my guess is there'll be minor concessions rather than just a small bump from the original console versions. And I'm arriving on that conclusion with no less evidence than you are at yours.

I'm basing my tempered expectations on history of Beth games running on consoles and the power difference between Switch and the other consoles. Because you know, Bethesda is that bastion of truthiness, i'm sitting here enjoying Oblivion on PSP and Bioshock on Vita...oh wait, no i'm not.

And goddamnit poll maker where is my Thor 2: Dark World?? Always trust in Thor Dark World.

Eolz

The trailer looked like some custom version of the EE.
Can't see it being the original version, would be a pain for them to port it too. Probably just doesn't want people to have expectations of some features...

sweet little lies

CazTGG

Bethesda has just about burned up any goodwill I had with it over the past twelve months so this is fine. Give me another reason to justify never buying a game (unless it's used or shows up on the Humble Bundle so I can donate to a charity instead) from your company again.

P.S. It's not getting a custom version so don't expect one.

It's probably a mix of the enhanced version and the original 360/PS3 one if I had to guess.

And in terms of Video Game people most worthy of the benefit of the doubt, I'd have to go with Sean Murray. I feel like with the massive backlash they got for their disastrous PR campaign for No Man's Sky, they probably learned their lesson way more than most developers. But only time will tell I guess.

Mercador

It isn't, but we know from Wii U ports and the leaked specs that it is basically a portable Wii U in handheld mode, and around 2x that power when docked.

So it is absolutely silly to think it will look "worse than the 360 version", especially when it will probably at least have better textures than that version due to the increase in available RAM.

Alright, maybe lower than 360 was a bit much, but still, if it runs like the 360, I don't expect more than 2-3 hours of playtime, it will drain fast for sure.

Actually, I'm playing the devil advocate here. It would be great that Skyrim SE runs on the Switch, but I highly doubt it, sorry.

Maybe I'm wrong but this certainly makes it seem like it's the original version, otherwise why would Nintendo not want to market that it's getting the shiny new version? Sad.

MoonFrog

RqSEvsg.jpg

56cqeDB.jpg

O0Q3G7l.jpg

UChrOYc.jpg

LPJf7xr.jpg

8sNycXu.jpg

wXUNLhc.jpg

yUc9urX.jpg

Uct0AAO.jpg

Jesus. I was right to consolidate PC strategy games and western games on PC back in 2011.

Really need to update that PC now, but...it was a decent rig back in those days.

I hope if the game is not standard they are making good use of joycon motion/rumble. Could be cool.

Top Bottom