• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Blog: Hideo Kojima Death Stranding interview: Strands, Decima and Guerrilla

ethomaz

Banned
This is a pretty good interview.

About the PC port I see no issue using Decima on PC... I do think Sony/Guerrilla allow that.

But of course Sony won't market the PC version... only the PS4 only... it makes sense.

Pif

Banned
Do you feel as you get older this becomes more apparent? For me, I feel that it does.
I won't be able to crush half this backlog till I am retired.

The witcher 3 felt boring half of the time.

But in contrast, I loved GTA5.

My patience with videogames is much less now.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
They've quietly killed the PC version, haven't they?

Chances are big of that being the case. Tbh tho i will play this on PS4 (playstation only gamer here), some part of me is hoping it's also released on PC for the simple fact that i want to see what this engine can do on a high end PC.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
The witcher 3 felt boring half of the time.

But in contrast, I loved GTA5.

My patience with videogames is much less now.

Seething this. I look back to the time when I would grind 99 levels in RPG's or create perfect legitimate saves for my games.

On topic: I want Death Stranding to be one of those games games I can focus on.
Usually, even if I do like a game, I'll invest maybe enough time to see 20% of any given game, on average, and toss it in the backlog.

Kojima states it's going to have depth, so I am expecting to be able to do plenty of things within the game world. He also states you can jump in and out of the game with ease, in his own words of course!

So what that said, it does sound like something I could be fully invested in just by those tidbits he shared.

disap.ed

The part where GG handed the engine with no strings attached is pure magic!
Can't wait to see what both studios will come up with in the years to come.

Wonder if they will be allowed to use it going forward especially if the next title may be going multiplatform.

Pretty cool to learn there's vehicles. Everything else we've known about already. This is easily my most anticipated game right now, and only Cyberpunk 2077 comes close

Edit: CHC has the best taste in this thread
9di2yzq4nz6y.gif

Salex_

"There was one condition though, that Kojima Productions doesn’t just use the engine, but that we develop the engine together with Guerrilla Games, that it should be a collaborative effort. So we were really blown away by their stance on this and being so open with the engine and we thought “Wow, these are the people we have to work with.”

This shit right here is thread worthy. So is Kojima like a 2nd party for Sony now?

Also, I assumed the game wasn't Open World taking into consideration it's graphics, but holy shit.

Very interesting.

jayu26

This is a pretty good interview.

About the PC port I see no issue using Decima on PC... I do think Sony/Guerrilla allow that.

But of course Sony won't market the PC version... only the PS4 only... it makes sense.
How does it benefit Sony to put this on PC? They own the game and the engine. More sales argument doesn't make any sense because just look at Spiderman. Why would a franchise like that be only on PS4 but not this, when unlike Spiderman they own everything (except the studio). It's a prestige title. Yeah they would like to make profit, but profit at the expenses of losing a prestige exclusive doesn't benefit Sony.

vivekTO

I wonder if that why Horizon was first delay, to improve the engine even more.

Good point!! But i heard somewhere that guerrilla themselves confirmed that There partnership with Kojima didn't have any technical affect on the Horizon , but could be seen in their future titles/Sequels.

ethomaz

Banned
How does it benefit Sony to put this on PC? They own the game and the engine. More sales argument doesn't make any sense because just look at Spiderman. Why would a franchise like that be only on PS4 but not this, when unlike Spiderman they own everything (except the studio). It's a prestige title. Yeah they would like to make profit, but profit at the expenses of losing a prestige exclusive doesn't benefit Sony.
It is not a Sony game...

It is a Kojima's game where they made a contract with Sony to delivery the game on PS4 and PC.

They of course can cancel the PC late but I don't think that will happen.

Wereroku

That must be a big chunk of the budget that can be spent elsewhere no?

Maybe no where. What this does is allow for faster development. Now all they have to worry about is altering the engine and asset creation. And since GG is still working with them on the engine they have a large support base for any questions or problems they might run into. This actually bodes well for the game being released on time.

I wonder if Kojima will still pursue 60fps game. Maybe his improvememt to decima is to accomodate 60fps gameplay.

If Kojima and GG are sharing their engine changes that might explain why there is a new pro patch coming out for horizon that will include a performance mode. Though from Killzone we know the engine is capable of 60fps.

Sigh

I'm actually excited for this project now, even though I think they announced it too early and showed it off too much, as is.

BUT, if they're diving head first into honest-to-goodness development, then they'll make good progress with a seemingly excellent engine like Decima behind them.

Just ... don't do anything idiotic like Quiet's design again please.

Of course, he'll do something idiotic like Quiet's design again SMH

That must be a big chunk of the budget that can be spent elsewhere no?

Yep, not having to build an engine from scratch will reduce the budget. Another factor for Kojima choosing an existing engine was due to him not wanting to make people wait as long to get their hands on the game.

Wereroku

It is not a Sony game...

It is a Kojima's game where they made a contract with Sony to delivery the game on PS4 and PC.

Not anymore Sony owns the IP it is not a Kojima owned game. It seems like the original agreement has changed.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I think that was mentioned once when the game was just a tittle. They haven't said anything or listed PC in any media after that.

Sony owns the IP and their engine is being used for the game. If this was a smaller title like Helldivers, I could see it coming to Steam, but this AAA game? It doesn't seem likely.

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4801:9zmo6n.2.1

Then I may hope that there is any chance that Sony buys Kojima Productions. Would give more financial secruity to Kojima.

It is not a Sony game...

the trailer starts with --> Sony Interactive Entertainment presents

which afaik only appears on sony owned Games

Dargor

I think that was mentioned once when the game was just a tittle. They haven't said anything or listed PC in any media after that.

Sony owns the IP and their engine is being used for the game. If this was a smaller title like Helldivers, I could see it coming to Steam, but this AAA game? It doesn't seem likely.

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4801:9zmo6n.2.1

I didn't know this. Sony really doesnt do the "you can keep the IP" anymore, for anyone.

Coxy100

Banned
"As you know their upcoming game Horizon Zero Dawn, which is coming out in February"

Hmmm did Hideo really quote when it's coming out Sony?? ;)

(In the EU blog it says March)

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Yep, not having to build an engine from scratch will reduce the budget. Another factor for Kojima choosing an existing engine was due to him not wanting to make people wait as long to get their hands on the game.

I think the jokes about long dev time are getting old. If this game comes out at the end of next year or start of 2019 (first quarter), people are going to be eating some words about 4-5 year cycle. I'm thinking 3 years dev time. Them working with GG on the engine could also speed things up some, I gather.

Kayant

And what specifically led to the adoption of Guerrilla Games’ Engine?

Usually when you go to use, buy or borrow an engine, someone will say, “Lend us your name,” or of course ask for payment. We had no contract with Guerrilla Games, but when we met them they suddenly gave us a box, a very pretty box. When we opened the box, there was a USB dongle inside that had the source code for the engine.

Keep in mind we had no contract or anything at this stage, yet still they handed over what was basically the crystallisation of their efforts over many years. They simply said, “Mr. Kojima please use this engine,” and we thought these people are incredible.

There was one condition though, that Kojima Productions doesn’t just use the engine, but that we develop the engine together with Guerrilla Games, that it should be a collaborative effort. So we were really blown away by their stance on this and being so open with the engine and we thought “Wow, these are the people we have to work with.”

Now that how establish a partnership! Present an offer that is too good to not take with the presence of working today to further improve it.

In terms of a PC version happening the strongest evidence is the fact it was referenced to as "Console exclusive" in the press release when It was formally introduced with it's name. Of course things could have changed but I can still see it happen even if it's not a simultaneous release with the PC version coming out a 1yr later or something due to their investment in the project.
https://www.sie.com/en/corporate/release/2016/160614a.html

SONY INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT UNVEILS
HIDEO KOJIMA’S PS4 CONSOLE EXCLUSIVE TITLE
DEATH STRANDING

Kagero

I just love reading about stuff like this. Gives me goose bumps. Good stuff! So Decima is a collaboration between GG and Koj. The origin of the naming of the engine is just perfect.

jayu26

Because Sony probably will publish the game on US.

The trademark in Japan is in the name of who?
You think Sony is not going to publish in Japan? Are you serious? Also, PC market is bigger in West than in Japan. Making it PS4 exclusive here and not in Japan makes no sense. Face it, contracts change.

Alright, how about this? Avatar bets. Make it interesting. If Death Stranding comes to PC at any date, without emulation or PS Now, I will wear whatever avatars you guys decide for a month.

Corine

Not anymore Sony owns the IP it is not a Kojima owned game. It seems like the original agreement has changed.

Where are you all getting this "Sony owns the IP" info from? All I see is that they trademarked it which doesn't mean they own it at all. I've seen no evidence that the PC version isn't coming still.

"Contrary to popular belief, registering the trademark is not an equivalent to owning the IP, which is dictated by contract among the parts involved."

ethomaz

Banned
You think Sony is not going to publish in Japan? Are you serious? Also, PC market is bigger in West than in Japan. Making it PS4 exclusive here and not in Japan makes no sense. Face it, contracts change.
I don't know.

Looks to Everybody's Gone to the Rapture for example... it is on PC.

The only think your link shows is that Sony will publish the game in US.

Where are you all getting this "Sony owns the IP" info from? All I see is that they trademarked it which doesn't mean they own it at all. I've seen no evidence that the PC version isn't coming still.

"Contrary to popular belief, registering the trademark is not an equivalent to owning the IP, which is dictated by contract among the parts involved."

Trailer starts with Sony Interactive Entertainment presents

It is not a Sony game...

Kojima is making it but it's still a Sony game.
They own the IP and the Engine.
That is like saying R&C , Heavy Rain , BB are not Sony games.

jayu26

I don't know.

Looks to Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture for example... it is on PC.

The only think your link shows is that Sony will publish the game in US.
Sony published it everywhere. And you don't see the difference between that and a prestige title like Death Stranding? Why are they putting Spiderman on PC while they are at it?

LUXURY

Action? Open world? My hype just dropped a few levels. I expected action though after the trailer we got.

Top Bottom