• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls delisted, becoming Skullgirls Encore (see post #288 for latest updates)

Why the heck did Konami stop communicating with Lab Zero in the first place? This wouldn't have happened if it was called "Metal Gear Girls." >=[

angry-joe-give-me-mon66zid_zps4968dad9.gif

Harlock

Remember that jimquisitiion about Konami. They cant even release your own games in a. Way that makes sense. Even worst with other companies games.

bootski

what's crazy in this situation is it seems that Konami has said "just fuckit" TO MONEY! they're choosing being petty and trying to ruin the game as it switches publishers instead of milking the game for every dollar they can before the switch happens. that is unheard of!

at least when EA is fucking consumers left and right, it's for the money; when MS was trying to shut down used games, it was for the money; when Activision releases that same shooter over and over, it's cuz they know the money is gonna pour in. these idiots over at Konami are doing it for....

i can't remember the last time i've seen a Konami title screen. went and checked and the only things they got going on are Winning Eleven which i haven't played in 7 years or so; MGS which i've never played since a couple hours in on the PS2 and Castlevania which i've only seen on twitch. not really the best move; making yourselves look so horrible on such a public stage.

someone fill me in on their list of fuckups that ppl are talking about in this thread, it's looking promising.

Felsparrow

Neo Member
Oh no, a thousand times no, Konami is actually doing very well itself, video games are only a small part of their business.

Then their video games division is crap and I stand by my statement that Konami's gaming divisions wouldn't exist today without support from all those other attached businesses.

If they weren't in Japan with their megacorporation structure, their standalone games company would not have lasted.

Jintor

On a side note, who's handling the Skullgirls Arcade release in Japan on the... not sure what the service is called, but the weird service?

Is it Konami? :T

Hmmm.

Is there such a thing as an "anti-Konami code"? News like this just makes me question Konami's integrity. When was the last time they had any?

Ugh, this is awful. No, let me rephrase that: Konami, YOU are awful.

The Skullgirls team is so nice and awesome, and their share of bad luck has not been deserved. And I say that despite the fact I'm not a big fan of the game. Yet I feel so conflicted, with the new MGS coming out. That's the problem with megacorps -- they are many-headed hydras that all act independently and inconsistently.

duckroll

On a side note, who's handling the Skullgirls Arcade release in Japan on the... not sure what the service is called, but the weird service?

Is it Konami? :T

It's not Konami. M2 (the awesome guys who handle a lot of the best retro ports to modern systems, including the Sega 3D Classics on the 3DS eShop) is handling the arcade release on NESiCAxLive.

Jawmuncher

Damn Konami you barely release games as it is and now you have to go and screw over LZ? Geez hopefully this being known might sway their opinion on the matter since it's public now. All around what a dick move. Glad I purchased the PC version.

-PXG-

This game is the epitome of development hell. My goodness. No one deserves this much shit. Fuck Konami.

wildfire

Banned
The universe just likes fucking around with this studio. I wonder how many small dev teams had to deal with similar bullshit? Seriously.

Basically, Konami had been going behind LabZero's back and trying to get it delisted without LabZero's knowledge.

Whenever MikeZ asked Konami about the patch issue, they wouldn't respond, and MikeZ asked for an extension to get things settled. Konami said it was impossible because Sony told them so. When MikeZ went to go ask Sony for clarification, Sony said that Konami was the one that told them MikeZ was the one who didn't want to contact them. Dirty dealings man.

Wow. That's cold blooded.

Toxi

Banned
Not buying the next MGS. There's only one way to fight this bullshit, and it's by not giving Konami money.

Fuck this, this is backstabbing the developers of one of the games I enjoyed most from the last generation.

Konami is a plague and will be treated like one by me now.

wildfire

Banned
I think it's more like

Autumn and Konami co-publish Skullgirls, with Reverge developing.
Konami and Autumn end up suing each other for an unrelated matter.
Autumn has to suspend development of Skullgirls DLC because (indirectly) of the lawsuit, causing the team to get laid off from Reverge.
The team reconstitutes itself as Lab Zero and carries on. MAQL comes in and publishes the PC version.
Konami continues to be a roadblock in getting things done on the console versions. MAQL offers to take over as co-publisher with Autumn on the console versions, but this could be messy as transferring one game to another publisher on PSN/XBLA has only happened a few times before.
Konami agrees to wash their hands of Skullgirls and let MAQL take over, but it looks like they have decided to get a few parting shots in on their way out.

This is beyond petty and retarded.

They are being dickheads to the wrong people.
th_sweatdrop.gif

Why?

kmax

Way to go Konami, killing indies instead of helping them get up on their feet.

Seriously, way to go.

Apdiddy

Wow, just wow.

I've now seen everything.

Skullgirls was making Konami money....yet they do this? I understand being a bit bitter towards a developer for switching publishers, but you would think someone at Konami would at least know how to act professional.

I sincerely hope this gets straightened out. If it doesn't, I'd say let's hurt Konami where it counts by not buying Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 or MGS V Ground Zeroes/The Phantom Pain when they come out.

Tizoc

Hold on how is SG making income for Konami? Does this include the PC ver. as well as the Japanese release?

Toad.T

Banned
For those that haven't bought the game yet, is it possible to post the link to buy it on the webstore equivalent of XBLA/PSN? If there's a spike in purchases, maybe Kon-
Bwahahahaha, sorry couldn't finish that with a straight face.

But seriously, I would like at least the XBLA webstore purchase link.

Storm360

Don't buy the XBLA or PSN versions because your giving them money still... Wait until Konami is dropped or buy it on Steam

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
what's crazy in this situation is it seems that Konami has said "just fuckit" TO MONEY! they're choosing being petty and trying to ruin the game as it switches publishers instead of milking the game for every dollar they can before the switch happens. that is unheard of!

at least when EA is fucking consumers left and right, it's for the money; when MS was trying to shut down used games, it was for the money; when Activision releases that same shooter over and over, it's cuz they know the money is gonna pour in. these idiots over at Konami are doing it for....

Well to be fair, skullgirls probably wasn't making them any amount of money that they would miss.

Delisting it hurts lab zero and the game itself waaaaaaay more than it probably hurts konami's bank, which is why they did it.

Shengar

Konamis asked LZ to create Skullgirls mobile card game spin-off for them, but they got refused. This is their retaliation for such insolence of ignoring mobile market!

I kid, I kid

KLonso

The fuck Konami? Actually, what the fuck PSN and XBLA as well, it's not like they're completely oblivious to the fact that Konami is obviously trying to fuck over LZ

Holy fuck, what?

How the fuck does it make any sense to have it out for a successful indie team like this who is making them money?
Ugh, sickening.

jacobeid

Banned
I already tweeted Konami about this. Disgusting. This is my final straw with Konami. See you never, MGS.

Skullgirls is my jam. Don't do this.

okay, I'm buying every konami game used from here on out just to send a message. as for skull girls, should I buy this now? would the developers get the money if I do?

Whompa

Hate to say it but this really really needs two sides of the story...seemingly these guys are getting screwed over, but without a word from Konami, it's a pretty bias case at the moment.

That being said, it's definitely an issue of money...it's not spite.

okay, I'm buying every konami game used from here on out just to send a message. as for skull girls, should I buy this now? would the developers get the money if I do?

Getting the PC version would do them some good, and if you're actually interested in playing would be the version to get anyway, but I don't think they see any money from sales.

Silky

Banned
I already tweeted Konami about this. Disgusting. This is my final straw with Konami. See you never, MGS.

Skullgirls is my jam. Don't do this.

Don't do that. It's pointless and you're just giving a guy on a computer a hard time. Best thing you can do is to support the PC version of Lab Zero, don't buy the Konami ver. of Skullgirls until things are sorted out, and simply not purchase anything Konami related. It isn't hard when you realize they don't really /release/ anything cool anymore.

Do you have a PC? If so, get the PC version.

The fuck Konami? Actually, what the fuck PSN and XBLA as well, it's not like they're completely oblivious to the fact that Konami is obviously trying to fuck over LZ

XBLA/PSN aren't really responsible. up until the self-publishing thing MS and Sony went through. It's always been Konami's call with adding/de-listing the game.

jacobeid

Banned
Don't do that. It's pointless and you're just giving a guy on a computer a hard time. Best thing you can do is to support the PC version of Lab Zero, don't buy the Konami ver. of Skullgirls

Why not? A lot of companies have their best interactions with consumers on twitter.

I bought Skullgirls on PSN, XBLA and Steam on release.

shaowebb

Steam's safe, as far as I know.

Konami needs to just leave LZ alone. This is getting really dumb.

This. Lab Zero never did anything to them, but the whole debacle of Autumn Games being who they were tied to got them dragged under the bus for no reason. Now its like they have a target on them. Stupid $15 million dollar Def Jam lawsuit...

Top Bottom