• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump said he was going to donate $25k to the family of a dead soldier... Then didn't

President Trump, in a personal phone call to a grieving military father, offered him $25,000 and said he would direct his staff to establish an online fundraiser for the family, but neither happened, the father said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...abb0f1e9ffb_story.html?utm_term=.e799638e4f24

The WH claims that the check is in the mail and Trump will likely be shamed into writing the check even though the WH is clearly lying about the check being in the mail, but jesus christ.

Mahonay

Banned
giphy.gif

What's more interesting in that article is that phone call to the grieving parent, he went on a tangent about his achievements as President. In past interviews, even those stretching as far back as the early 90s, Trump's vocabulary seems to suggest he has been raised in speaking in superlatives; the best; the greatest; no one has ever done it before, etc.

There is a pattern here that goes beyond his politics, something that suggests this is not being done on a conscious basis anymore. It's a tale of a man who has been so used to telling white lies to elevate himself and his image, that he no longer is even aware of the fact.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
It would be easier to count/list the true things he has said... (and whittled down as even those turn out false)

FiggyCal

Banned
Well that father doesn't come across well in that article
”I said to my daughter, ‘Can you teach me to tweet, so I can tweet at the president and tell him he's a liar?'" he said. ”You know when you hear people lying, and you want to fight? That's the way I feel last night. He's a damn liar."

I don't fault the guy at all for being angry if that's what your'e referring to. He just got his emotions played with by the president of the united states who is currently in hot water for disrespecting other dead veterans. And he just lost his son!

Edit: Oops. Not the same guy. Sorry, folks.

I don't fault the guy at all for being angry if that's what your'e referring to. He just got his emotions played with by the president of the united states who is currently in hot water for disrespecting other dead veterans.

That's a different guy. That father wasn't called by Trump. (also, surprise surprise, the dead soldier was black, I wonder if that contributed to Trump not contacting his family!)

The guy who got stiffed by Trump just said "damn, no check :( "

chekhonte

I'm still worried that we'll have 8 years of him rather than 4. The Trump presidency has felt like internet dam broke and filled up the real world with shit posts. I'm also worried that Trump isn't special and this is just politics now.

Mikef2000

Read the entire article. Granted it's a very small sample size, but 3 of the dead soldier's relatives that did not receive a call are black. I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

Regarding the $25k check, it's almost as if being a pathological liar while holding the highest public office in the land eventually catches up with you. Who would have thunk it?

FiggyCal

Banned
Read the entire article. Granted it's a very small sample size, but 3 of the dead soldier's relatives that did not receive a call are black. I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

Regarding the $25k check, it's almost as if being a pathological liar while holding the highest public office in the land eventually catches up with you. Who would have thunk it?

I think it probably isn't a big deal that he doesn't call each of them by phone. The thing is that he made such a big deal about doing it and claimed no other president had done it before him.

Mahonay

Banned
Not a chance. I'd bet everything on it. It would be astonishing if he sees out his term. No consolation to decent Americans in the mean time, but he won't last.
Considering our government and social media platforms are intent on doing very little to curb the continuing onslaught of online Russian influence and hacking, unfortunately a 2nd term of Trump is legitimate worry to have.

One would hope the Muller investigation eventually takes away that possibility.

Jackpot

Banned
Euvince Brooks’s son, Sgt. Roshain E. Brooks, 30, was killed Aug. 13 in Iraq. He has not heard from the White House. The president’s claim this week that he had called every military family to lose a son or daughter only upset the Brooks family more.

Brooks said that after watching the news on Tuesday night he wanted to set up a Twitter account to try to get the president’s attention.

“I said to my daughter, ‘Can you teach me to tweet, so I can tweet at the president and tell him he’s a liar?’” he said. “You know when you hear people lying, and you want to fight? That’s the way I feel last night. He’s a damn liar.”

there's more to the article than what's in the OP.

Off course.

He doesn't follow up on any fucking promise when it's about money and charity.

Just recently there was another thread where I said "watch him not do it".

People should keep a list of these promises, and remind him and the press of it all the time until he follows through.

VARIA

The guy received a letter but no check. Today the WH says the check is in the mail.

What was the timeframe in all this?

Top Bottom