• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIIII| New Generation - Fighting Game Is Something So Great

cHaotix8

gbVrPQh.jpg

Apparently MvCI's netcode is great based on impressions from Discord, which led the guy who tested it to believe that SFV's issues were more with the servers they're using than the netcode itself.
I would take impressions with a grain of salt, but maybe they improved the netcode?

Village

It makes sense with the disco ball she uses.

Not everything is racist man. That's actually a really great mod.

If it wasn't obvious earlier

I was making a funny

Arab and African aren't a one or the other thing, though I haven't seen any Egyptian identify as black, the "African" is more of a geographical term there and even olive/white skinned people from north africa still use it!

So she's african, and maybe black.

Ryce

Arab and African aren't a one or the other thing, though I haven't seen any Egyptian identify as black, the "African" is more of a geographical term there and even olive/white skinned people from north africa still use it!
Yeah, Africa is just a continent. Egypt is an Arabic nation that's considered a part of the Middle East, and its population is predominantly ethnically Egyptian. There's no reason for me to think that Menat is black.

Village

If it's gonna have to be a color, African Arab/North Africans/Egyptians are more racially profiled as "brown" than black by the west.

Interesting

I guess I thought black because a lot of her costumes seem to be Ancient egypt , and at that time They are more black than they are now. Like I interpreted her entire design as capcom just not even understanding what egypt is. So that's why

Neoxon

If it's gonna have to be a color, African Arab/North Africans/Egyptians are more racially profiled as "brown" than black by the west.
I'm of Eritrean descent (Eritrea is over in East Africa) & I'm still considered to be black by most people.

Ryce

I guess I thought black because a lot of her costumes seem to be Ancient egypt , and at that time They are more black than they are now.
That's actually just a misconception.
They found that the ancient Egyptians were most closely related to the peoples of the Near East, particularly from the Levant. This is the Eastern Mediterranean which today includes the countries of Turkey, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Syria, and Lebanon.
Modern Egyptians are actually more black than ancient Egyptians.

Ryce

Huh, thank you for the information.

So... She's black then ?
No, probably not. Egyptians are their own (non-black) ethnic group, and 91% of the Egyptian population is ethnically Egyptian. Modern Egyptians share only 8% of their genome with central Africans, and ancient Egyptians shared even less.

Sayad

I'm of Eritrean descent (Eritrea is over in East Africa) & I'm still considered to be black by most people.
Eritrea isn't really north africa though, someone from Sudan or Somalia for example would certainly be considered black regardless if they speak arabic or not, but a north african arab(mediterranean sea african countries) would most certainly be brown.

There are always exceptions with brown skin though, as it can get white enough to pass as white and dark enough to pass as black too, even within the same family it can vary greatly! That might be why we look at religions, sekts, class and tribes for things to divide and fight over and not skin color. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Worst part is when you're born with a fairer skin colour than most but the fucking sun gives you a damn near permanent tan. I pull up the sleeves on my shirt and I'm straight up white-ish. But my face and arms and legs are brown AF.

Stupid Sun.

Ryce

With that said, Street Fighter needs more black African characters. There are nearly a billion black people living in Africa and all Street Fighter has is the ridiculously whitewashed Elena.

Sayad

Worst part is when you're born with a fairer skin colour than most but the fucking sun gives you a damn near permanent tan. I pull up the sleeves on my shirt and I'm straight up white-ish. But my face and arms and legs are brown AF.

Stupid Sun.
Lmao, my uncle and my father looks almost exactly the same, except that my uncle's skin is twice as dark because he worked as a field engineer. It's especially funny when you look at their childhood pictures when they had the same skin tone!

Village

With that said, Street Fighter needs more black African characters. There are nearly a billion black people living in Africa and all Street Fighter has is the ridiculously whitewashed Elena.

IIRC I remember somewhere seeing that Laura was their "idealized version of a Brazilian woman" . If that's how they went about designing elena, then yeah that speaks poorly of her entire design.

But Yes I very much agree that there needs to be a different female african, or just black, Representative. From somewhere, well I laura counts, afro-Brazilian her and sean. But I hate laura as a character, so give me another one.

Lmao, my uncle and my father looks almost exactly the same, except that my uncle's skin is twice as dark because he worked as a field engineer. It's especially funny when you look at their childhood pictures when they had the same skin tone!

Sounds like me and my brother. When we younger we were both very light skinned. I got a bit more brown, no field work though. I just... got brown. And my brother is still light. Its weird.

To be fair Elena could be representative of one of many diverse groups in Africa (fictional or otherwise). Capcom could really stand to add a couple more characters that buck the traditional mold they've set for themselves, though. There is a lot that could be done costume-wise and in terms of hair/body type (A pygmy fighter could be cool), but I fear Capcom isn't going to make any real efforts unless there is some financial incentive. Rashid, Laura, Juri and even Necalli make sense in that regard. They're built to appeal to regions that Capcom hasn't traditionally appealed to and are of financial interest. Brazil, SA, Latin America and South Korea are all worth investing in monetarily speaking and Capcom has even run tournaments in those places. Don't think I've ever heard of Capcom doing that in any African countries yet.

The world will sure become more interesting when the African continent becomes a larger player on the world stage.

I love how people whip out numbers, figures, and diagrams when trying to prove that a character is not black. It's like you need 10 forms of ID, a DNA test, and 400 years of ancestral tracking to prove that a video game character is black.

But, white characters? "Eh...Guile has light skin and blonde hair (in a game where characters have been known to dye their hair). That's good enough for me! He's white." The bar is very low. Why is that?

For years people argued tooth and nail that Dudley wasn't black. "No, he's of Indian descent! There's a large population of people with Indian heritage living in England! Scientifically, it's much more probable that he's Indian."
(Dude's black: https://imgur.com/a/bveiY Referred to explicitly in an old All About Capcom book as a "British black gentleman boxer".)

I've even see people try to claim that ELENA isn't black.

Like, the only time people will readily believe a character is black is when they look like fricking Balrog, Dee Jay, or Birdie...stereotypes.

Menat has just as much right to be "black" as Guile has a right to be "white".

Girl looks like Janelle Monae, and black Egyptians exist. That's "good enough for me."
DIQdTHFUwAAAKv9.jpg:large

Village

That's also true. Every time a black character shows up that doesn't fall in " this is how black people look" folks want to use every thing in the book to try and say that they aren't black.

I don't know if i can say it applies here,

Should we start a thread on this?

SlimXx

I was thrilled when Santamu showed up in story mode

Until she started literally chucking spears . . .

The mod to replace Cammy's model with Santamu made me happy, though.

That's also true. Every time a black character shows up that doesn't fall in " this is how black people look" folks want to use every thing in the book to try and say that they aren't black.

I don't know if i can say it applies here,

Should we start a thread on this?

Please don't. Lol

Not gonna lie though...it will probably make for a hilarious thread.

kikiribu

Yeah I never really saw Menat as black tbh. It's like saying all Near East and Middle East girls are black just because a lot of them have a dark skin tone.

How do you guys feel about Urien being called black just because his skin is bronze colored?

I actually want a Jamaican girl in SF, and a Latino guy that isn't a dumbass luchador like El Fuerte. And keep Deejay out of SFV, he is not the black guy we need. Reboot King Cobra. I'll even take Byron at this point for the mustache alone. Just please no cargo shorts, plz.

Village

Yeah I never really saw Menat as black tbh. It's like saying all Near East and Middle East girls are black just because a lot of them have a dark skin tone.

How do you guys feel about Urien being called black just because his skin is bronze colored?

I actually want a Jamaican girl in SF, and a Latino guy that isn't a dumbass luchador like El Fuerte. And keep Deejay out of SFV, he is not the black guy we need. Reboot King Cobra. I'll even take Byron at this point for the mustache alone. Just please no cargo shorts, plz.

But urien wasn't from africa, and then in his original appearance he seems to be much lighter and then turns into what is now his normal color And even now, he just seem's like a dark dude from greece, or turkish. And I don't think anyone is saying that women with dark skin is black, but this girl with dark skin from africa might be be black and that's why the discussion is being had I guess. Black Egyptians do in fact exist, so she might be black.
As for a jamacan person it would be interesting. That isn't Dee Jay.

Do we have anyone in SF from the Philippines? I feel like that's kind of an ommision

Top Bottom