• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

Ramirez

Kyle says it in an extreme way, but I agree with his overall point. People who like CoD aren't going to like Halo, no matter how much you shoe horn into the game, which is exactly what most of the MP stuff sounds like at this point. Maybe it's wild speculation on most of the stuff, but it's all we can do at this point. If the stuff isn't as bad as it sounds, then GI did them a pretty big disservice in getting the info out, OR whoever told GI the stuff didn't do a good job explaining how it would work. Terrible either way...

Fracas

#fuckonami
Pretty much. This game is going to be a catastrophic bomb. You cannot beat Call of Duty at their own game, because they created and own that marketshare. COD players are going to try Halo out, struggle with the locked 24fps or aesthetic differences between it and COD, and go back to playing their favorite game. They're not going to be swayed by some carbon copy turd with aliens in it. It's like me creating a search engine called Googlee, making the background black, and changing the search results from what people are used to. You really my product is going to take on the original Google?

What a creatively bankrupt game.

I agree with you in the fact that you cannot beat Call of Duty in this day and age of games. Nearly every FPS has tried to imitate it, and no one has "toppled the king".

That said, despite my initial overreaction, I'm not going to pass judgement just yet. Yeah, a lot of those details sound horrible, but like it's been said here, I need to see it in motion. Hopefully that day comes soon. Until then, I will lay it all on 343 and wait.

Still don't understand why they wouldn't do a beta, especially after all this info came out.

I also want to sum up my feelings with a couple words:

Campaign-Looks amazing
Multiplayer-Uh.....
Spartan Ops-Probably the thing I'm most interested in at this point

Cranzor

I'm not going to judge it until more details come out.

Here's a weird thing I hope doesn't return, I bet a lot of you will disagree. I hated that Reach showed your K/D ratio in game. A lot of people would judge you from your K/D and just dismiss you if it doesn't hold up to their standards. It was fun in Halo 3 to go into a game and mess around once in a while without having to worry about going positive like in Reach.

heckfu

Banned

Here's a weird thing I hope doesn't return, I bet a lot of you will disagree. I hated that Reach showed your K/D ratio in game. A lot of people would judge you from your K/D and just dismiss you if it doesn't hold up to their standards. It was fun in Halo 3 to go into a game and mess around once in a while without having to worry about going positive like in Reach.

mess around? like...as in not playing the game?

Ramirez

Your one of those guys who rides around on a Mongoose all match aren't you? Go "mess around" in a custom match, don't deteriorate the experience for your teammates. Ugh

I really doubt it will be like that in objective games. Even CoD doesn't have instant respawns in objective.

But this isn't cod

tumblr_lmuk86F7uX1qidsbp.gif

I'm definitely keeping an open about all of what we've heard, that's for sure. Or I'd like to think I am. Honestly, it all comes back to this: Do I want another Halo 3 (2) or do I want a new Halo game? It's hard to separate the two for me, and I'd would want nothing but to be excited about everything I'm hearing.

Overdoziz

Banned
Kyle says it in an extreme way, but I agree with his overall point. People who like CoD aren't going to like Halo, no matter how much you shoe horn into the game, which is exactly what most of the MP stuff sounds like at this point. Maybe it's wild speculation on most of the stuff, but it's all we can do at this point. If the stuff isn't as bad as it sounds, then GI did them a pretty big disservice in getting the info out, OR whoever told GI the stuff didn't do a good job explaining how it would work. Terrible either way...
I tried to warn people, man.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I've seen multiple people interpret the "exploring chief as a man" line as "Chief's gonna show Cortana his brute zone". Some people have really strange concepts of masculinity.

Level headed? When nearly everything we've heard about Halo 4 multiplayer sounds like trash? What's there to be level headed about? Everything is skewed pretty heavily towards "garbage" right now.

All we got is faith in 343. And if their track record with Reach is any indication, they'll make amazing decisions, unmake some of those amazing decisions, and then make completely baffling decisions.

come off it. he's already writing the game off as a "catastrophic bomb" and saying they literally are CoD-ing it (which 343 has denied). if thats not hyperbole and the exact opposite of level headed, i dont know what is.

Ramirez

I really doubt it will be like that in objective games. Even CoD doesn't have instant respawns in objective.

Its most popular objective gametype, Domination, does indeed have instant respawns. Like I said last night, I'm almost certain the only non HC gametype that doesn't have instant respawns in Sabotage, and it always had a poor population.

I think one thing that has been ignored in all of the hysteria is how sick the character and weapon designs are.

I think the scopes on the guns look pretty lame, also don't understand why they went back to the old AR design, the Reach one was a lot better. The rest of the game does look amazing though, graphics mean dick if it isn't fun to play though, hi Killzone.

and saying they literally are CoD-ing it (which 343 has denied).

How can you read some of the MP changes and not think like this? Like someone else said, Bungie did a masterful job of spinning all of Reach's garbage and we ate it up. I'm not so quick to believe this time around.

CyReN

That's the one thing I'm worried about with Halo 4 now, I play Halo for Halo. I'm all for new stuff that isn't from other series. That why Reach failed for me and other and didn't numbers (at least XBL chart) as the predecessors. They tried taking different formulas (Evade = Gears, Credits/Sprint = CoD, Jetpacks = Tribes etc) and made it into a giant mixing pot that went bad quickly. When they tried to "understand" the competitive players we were left with a random bloom and a broken Arena game. As Frankie said you have to see it play out, I have never wanted to be so wrong in my life. Still have faith, still got a pre-order, still like cheese.

Ps: Hire Juices.

kylej

Banned
The thing that truly, completely stands out to me as the biggest blunder is the randomized weapon locations/timers and instant respawns. I have posted this exact same thing for years now; Halo is a chess game. At its best, Halo is about fixed, defined variables that each game revolves and plays differently around. Do we wait for rockets or OS? Three dead? Pull flag. What time is snipe up? I'm S2, they're spawning needler. The beauty of Halo is in its simplicity, even in the face of the fabled sandbox. It is unlike anything else out there. Halo multiplayer is about weapon locations, timing, and map control. Reach dipped its toe in the FFA BK bonanza pool and it's a turd. Just copying the king forgets why COD is so popular in the first pace; it was unlike anything out there at the time and still has a fluid style untouched by other games.

Spartan points to unlock shit? Rank up to unlock abilities? Instant respawn? It's just so creatively bankrupt, and I really have a hard time believing the false promises of yet another Halo dev talking about how we "just don't understand" what the real game is like yet.

Korosenai

The thing that truly, completely stands out to me as the biggest blunder is the randomized weapon locations/timers and instant respawns. I have posted this exact same thing for years now; Halo is a chess game. At its best, Halo is about fixed, defined variables that each game revolves and plays differently around. Do we wait for rockets or OS? Three dead? Pull flag. What time is snipe up? I'm S2, they're spawning needler. The beauty of Halo is in its simplicity, even in the face of the fabled sandbox. It is unlike anything else out there. Halo multiplayer is about weapon locations, timing, and map control. Reach dipped its toe in the FFA BK bonanza pool and it's a turd. Just copying the king forgets why COD is so popular in the first pace; it was unlike anything out there at the time and still has a fluid style untouched by other games.

Spartan points to unlock shit? Rank up to unlock abilities? Instant respawn? It's just so creatively bankrupt, and I really have a hard time believing the false promises of yet another Halo dev talking about how we "just don't understand" what the real game is like yet.
1330912219544.gif

That's the one thing I'm worried about with Halo 4 now, I play Halo for Halo. I'm all for new stuff that isn't from other series. That why Reach failed for me and other and didn't numbers (at least XBL chart) as the predecessors. They tried taking different formulas (Evade = Gears, Credits/Sprint = CoD, Jetpacks = Tribes etc) and made it into a giant mixing pot that went bad quickly. When they tried to "understand" the competitive players we were left with a random bloom and a broken Arena game. As Frankie said you have to see it play out, I have never wanted to be so wrong in my life. Still have faith, still got a pre-order, still like cheese.

Ps: Hire Juices.
Well technically, all of those aspects were in previous halo games, but for the ai only

Overdoziz

Banned

ib0hdbu6oo4K1I.gif

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member

Goddamn even I have to applaud that. You nailed it. I do think as someone else said in one of the threads that if Game Informer did an awful job of describing the details, etc then I'd be royally pissed if I was the 343 guys.

i would like to think this sums up how everyone feels at this point in time.

Cranzor

mess around? like...as in not playing the game?

Your one of those guys who rides around on a Mongoose all match aren't you? Go "mess around" in a custom match, don't deteriorate the experience for your teammates. Ugh

No, that's not what I meant at all. Mess around was a wrong way to describe it I guess. I'm pretty sure I have more custom games than match made games in Halo 3, that's where I do my "messing around". I just don't always like the feeling of having to go positive to keep some number up.

Let's get some positivity in here. From the scans, the intro sounds great, and definitely has my interested piqued in the way that I want to know what happens next but I don't because I'd spoil myself. The Elites, I think, look menacing by and large, but what I'm most excited about is that we're going to be introduced to a whole new "Covenant" of enemies. We're going to so many classes and great enemy variety. Good to hear! This would seem to put a dent into the "Forerunners/Prometheans as an enemy" theory.

Two Carbines will be returning, one human and the Covenant version we all know and love. I can't wait to try out both. Graphics being 720p with FXAL or whatever (jaggie smoother if I understand it correctly) will make the game look great.

Spartan Ops sounds interesting and I'm definitely willing to hear more, especially about the implementation. I wonder if we'll be able to do it alone with an AI counterpart?

Story-wise, I cannot wait to see how 343 handles Cortana's impending rampancy. If they hit it off, it's going to be so good. Kudos to 343 for not ignoring the issue.

Spartan OPS sounds amazing, short and simple. They are doing something that i really haven't seen done in a game before with its episodic nature for what is basically a second campaign consisting of skirmishes and missions. So awesome. Also, I wonder if some of the subsets of S OPs will be a survival mode, acting as a slightly less in depth firefight.

As for the MP stuff? Honestly, it all doesn't sound too bad at all, and I am sure some more context wil help immensely. Truthfully I think Halo 4 really stand out as a game which does its own thing, while adopting certain popular formulas in new ways.

Anyone else think that this info dump should have been in the form of a ViDoc instead?

Yup, I think the method of news distribution with Halo 4 has been rather awkward. For a 14 page blowout it was rather lacking in details, its strange GI articles usually clarify more than this one did.

Well, with Ellis saying some stuff has changed since the mag preview, an Frank saying stuff is being taken out of context, I have to wonder what the hell you guys were telling GI at the time of the story. Letting them unleash all of these terrible sounding ideas without good clarification is complete fail.

Tbh, I think GI just didn't flesh out and elaborate on the concepts and skimmed over the information. Its kinda disappointing to wait this long for something so vague. Its a great article, but it really is lacking in some crucial details. Maybe the size was just an issue.

Also, I assume they could have detailed this: What is the Assault Carbine? It sounds like our only new weapon thus far, other than the Missile Pistol.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
Let's get some positivity in here. From the scans, the intro sounds great, and definitely has my interested piqued in the way that I want to know what happens next but I don't because I'd spoil myself. The Elites, I think, look menacing by and large, but what I'm most excited about is that we're going to be introduced to a whole new "Covenant" of enemies. We're going to so many classes and great enemy variety. Good to hear! This would seem to put a dent into the "Forerunners/Prometheans as an enemy" theory.

Two Carbines will be returning, one human and the Covenant version we all know and love. I can't wait to try out both. Graphics being 720p with FXAL or whatever (jaggie smoother if I understand it correctly) will make the game look great.

Spartan Ops sounds interesting and I'm definitely willing to hear more, especially about the implementation. I wonder if we'll be able to do it alone with an AI counterpart?

Story-wise, I cannot wait to see how 343 handles Cortana's impending rampancy. If they hit it off, it's going to be so good. Kudos to 343 for not ignoring the issue.

I agree. That opening does sound insane in a good way. While not a fan of the name Spartan Ops does sound interesting as hell too if it is pulled off right.

heckfu

Banned

1330912219544.gif

but seriously, i think i'm just going overboard with positivity here. of course i have my own trepidation but i'm just hoping for the best.

The magazine scans were always going to come out the day after the cover debuted, that almost always happens. We can't talk about the story in detail, because it is GI's exclusive. I will say that some of the things that "invested, emotional" players are "raising eyebrows slightly at" are being very misinterpreted ("random" weapon spawns for example) but we will be able to clarify some of those things in due time.

Some of the other features, abilities, are also being discussed with no context (not your guys' fault, obviously) and frankly, a video of TS would probably allay many of the especially hysterical reactions, but we're not there yet.

We haven't seen a single reaction we didn't expect (apart from the Dax love story) and we will clarify a lot of this stuff 100% in the coming weeks and months. SOME of the things in here won't be properly understood outside of a holistic experience (modes, progress, fictional setting, etc) but I am going to say one thing and leave it at that:

It feels like Halo, it does NOT feel or act like the other game(s) it's being compared to. Again, without playing it, you can't be blamed for jumping to certain conclusions.

Needs pointing out in fairness ;)

kylej

Banned
Spartan OPS sounds amazing, short and simple. They are doing something that i really haven't seen done in a game before with its episodic nature for what is basically a second campaign consisting of skirmishes and missions. So awesome. Also, I wonder if some of the subsets of S OPs will be a survival mode, acting as a slightly less in depth firefight.

You should try Resident Evil 4's Mercenaries mode. It was released 8 years ago. It's very good.

Needs pointing out in fairness ;)

That's vague doublespeak on Frankie's part. That's "bloom adds skill to the game" levels of nonsense.

I can already see "no they're not random, see they drop random weapons at random times in random locations, but this system is in every game so it's a fixed system. Why are you guys up in arms?"

If anything all this news makes me anxious to see some lengthy in-game footage and that podcast. All we have to go on is the article and when they write it themselves as "You know what really sucked about the old games? All those pesky experienced players having an advantage on the map over people with no experience. Well no more!" it can't help but give me an arrhythmia.

It's just hard to shake it when nearly every new mechanic in a Halo game has been something that I think has ended up making the experience worse not better. To go down the list:
-Dual wielding
-Equipment
-Armour abilities
-Bloom
-/+Destructible vehicles (personally prefer indestructible)
+Vehicle jacking

But I always keep myself open to something new. After all the above were implemented by Bungie.

While I'm super picky about multiplayer stuff, with single player I'm very open to just radically changing up the formula. Can't wait to see more of this new enemy force and how everything turns out.

Cranzor

I didn't see until now that the covenant carbine is returning. That's pretty cool. It was a good alternative to the BR.

That's vague doublespeak on Frankie's part. That's "bloom adds skill to the game" levels of nonsense.

I can already see "no they're not random, see they drop random weapons at random times in random locations, but this system is in every game so it's a fixed system. Why are you guys up in arms?"

Oh shit, you're right.

I think of random spawns as rockets appearing in one of five fixed locations whereby it is impossible to lock down all positions with your team. Not really any point on the map at any time.

barth

Neo Member
Pretty much. This game is going to be a catastrophic bomb. You cannot beat Call of Duty at their own game, because they created and own that marketshare. COD players are going to try Halo out, struggle with the locked 24fps or aesthetic differences between it and COD, and go back to playing their favorite game.

Exactky what I thought.
And while the CoD kids are trying to play Halo us, real fans have to go to custom games to have some fun (segmenting the community even more)

kylej

Banned
Exactky what I thought.
And while the CoD kids are trying to play Halo us, real fans have to go to custom games to have some fun (segmenting the community even more)

Thankfully we'll have 343's 97 different playlists to even further help split the community. Anyone else up for some bangin' TU BETA SLAYER right now?

Although its hard to say, I bet maps will still have map based power weapons that remain in one location, with wildcard power weapons spawning over various predetermined locales.

My prediction is this-
-Shotgun, Propipe, DMR, etc are at fixed locations, do not randomize.
-Rockets, Snipers etc spawn on their regular intervals, but locations can vary.

You should try Resident Evil 4's Mercenaries mode. It was released 8 years ago. It's very good.

I understand that modes like that have been done before, but I am talking about how it has its own story that actually is relevant to Halo 4, as well as its episodic nature. The fact that it basically will tell a story of a ship packed full of Spartans doing missions that lead into Halo 4 is a really cool idea, and the fact that they said the scope and scale is on par with campaign is awesome.

Redford

aka Cabbie
If the "random" spawns mechanic worked in a way that was more interesting and dynamic than static spawns but still had some sort of skill behind it, I'd be open to it, but it just sounds like another middle finger to better players at this point.

In other words, kyle's post.

I was also hoping for fewer returning weapons, but if there's more to come that's alright. CARBINE.

heckfu

Banned
What if random means like the rockets have 4 different places it can spawn across the map?

So the timer is still the same but location changes, more competitive players/teams will be able to still try and lock them down but it spreads the team out to try and lock them down?

A little benefit/risk scenario.

What if random means like the rockets have 4 different places it can spawn across the map?

So the timer is still the same but location changes, more competitive players/teams will be able to still try and lock them down but it spreads the team out to try and lock them down?

A little benefit/risk scenario.

Great idea!

Top Bottom