• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecrafts Better Together Cross Play is already magical in my house

Gowans

4YDGlHu.jpg

I know there is a Minecraft thread but this is one of those crazy moments with my lad playing on his Xbox joined by his sister on the iPad.

They are HYPED! Is so cool to finally have realms and have them playing in the same game on completely different platforms.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So what exactly is Realms?

Think of it a a persistent server.

So you can create a world, but it doesn't go away when you log off cause someone else is hosting the world for you. So your friends or family or whomever can play in your created world even when you log off.

Robin64

A rentable server, basically, officially built into the game. Better Together allows players from many different systems to all log on to the same Realm. Unlike normal crossplay, it's persistent, so doesn't require someone to be online to host.

Gowans

Its a server for you and 10 friends.

It's all my lad wanted for his birthday so I told him when the update was out he could have it for a year.

He's invited his friends who he wants to join and they all have a persistent infinite world they can play in together from any device.

Tagyhag

Think of it a a persistent server.

So you can create a world, but it doesn't go away when you log off cause someone else is hosting the world for you. So your friends or family or whomever can play in your created world even when you log off.

Oh that's neat. I wonder if it's cheaper than 3rd party servers or if it also has different tiers.

It's all my lad wanted for his birthday so I told him when the update was out he could have it for a year.

He's invited his friends who he wants to join and they all have a persistent infinite world they can play in together from any device.

Jesus, this is gonna be huge, isn't it? (Unless realms was already in other versions?)

Thank you OP for this post. In an age where it feels like all anyone does is bitch and complain it's nice to see a reminder that kids don't give a shit and are just happy to play together!

Tumle

Oh it's only for up to 10 players?
Thought it was more like the java version servers, where you log in to a big ass community..
Maybe in the future:)

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Wait.... I could never get into Minecraft because my world was at the mercy of a host I didn't know and I could never maintain a universe of my own for any long-stretch of time.

Realms sounds like a way for me to jump in, as a 28 year-old who's only played MC for maybe five hours way back when it was PC-only.

How much is a Realm? How easy is it to invite others? If I log in from a Switch, a PC, and an iPad - is that three users, or can I have a single log-in for myself?

I'm surprisingly suddenly excited...

Xeroblade

Wait.... I could never get into Minecraft because my world was at the mercy of a host I didn't know and I could never maintain a universe of my own for any long-stretch of time.

Realms sounds like a way for me to jump in, as a 28 year-old who's only played MC for maybe five hours way back when it was PC-only.

How much is a Realm? How easy is it to invite others? If I log in from a Switch, a PC, and an iPad - is that three users, or can I have a single log-in for myself?

All great info I wanna know as well haha.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
This is similar but to a much larger degree about what Hearthstone did for me.

Being able to play on a PC, phone, and tablet under one account was fucking game changing. I can't go back to any other CCGs that don't do this.

It's so free and liberating to not be tied down due to corporations wanting that $$$.

Aaron D.

Thank you OP for this post. In an age where it feels like all anyone does is bitch and complain it's nice to see a reminder that kids don't give a shit and are just happy to play together!

This X 1 mil.

It's so easy to get all cynical over this hobby.

Thanks, OP!

Just got it working in my house too.

Signed up for a free realm for a month.

My boys are playing on the xbox split screen. And my daughter is playing in the same realm as them from her Android tablet.

It's superb. Well done Minecraft.

Gowans

Haha I'll tell the bairn on the props for his room, he'll be chuffed!

Just got it working in my house too.

Signed up for a free realm for a month.

My boys are playing on the xbox split screen. And my daughter is playing in the same realm as them from her Android tablet.

It's superb. Well done Minecraft.

It's a lovely special moment when they are just all connected and having fun together isn't it.

Crash331

I think it's 3.99 for you and two friends or 7.99 for you and 10 friends. Monthly, I believe.

Orca

How much is a Realm on Xbox One for a year? Didn't get a chance to try it this morning and I'm sure the kids are going to want to start one tomorrow as they're off school.

Edit - nm answered.

I'm pretty sure it operates off of slots. You can invite as many people as you want to your server, but only 10 can be logged in at any given time. Its been awhile since I was in a realm though.

Kade

This will hopefully be the future of multiplayer gaming. Can't imagine what some multiplayer mobile games would be like if I was only allowed to play with people who owned the exact same device as me. I really want console and PC gaming to be like mobile games in that regard.

M.J. Doja

Banned
Happy for your kids, this is the kinda thing I would have loved to get when I was growing up, if it actually had existed.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Add two additional kids to that picture. One playing on his/her PS4 and one playing on his/her Nintendo Switch.

Isn't that beautiful?
It is, but we gotta keep 'em safe.

Top Bottom