• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (August 2011)

qno6bm.jpg

Join www.goodreads.com and join the NeoGAF Group.

GAF Recommends!

History Books
Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books
Post-apocalpytic Books
Books of 2010
Forgotten Sci-Fi Novels
Lengthy Books
Space Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Fantasy Books
Summer Reading
Dresden's Favorite Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Sci-Fi Novel Series
Modern Fantasy and Hidden Gems
Must Read Books That Came Out in the Past 10 Years
Fantasy Recommendations

Kindle Links
Free Kindle Books
Amazon Kindle Search - set alerts for free or price drop Kindle books

Online Book Stores
http://www.bookdepository.com/ Free shipping World Wide, cheap.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ Free shipping Word Wide, cheap.

Blogs
100 Greatest Sci Fi Novels
100 Best Novels

Sci-Fi & Fantasy
http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/
http://aidanmoher.com/blog/
http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/

Free Audio Books
http://podcastle.org/ Free Fantasy audio books.
http://www.archive.org/details/audio All sorts of stuff.

Shelved Threads
What are you reading? (July 2011)
What are you reading? (June 2011)
What are you reading? (May 2011)
What are you reading? (April 2011)
What are you reading? (March 2011)
What are you reading? (February 2011)
What are you reading? (January 2011)
What are you reading? (December 2010)
What are you reading? (November 2010)
What are you reading? (October 2010)
What are you reading? (September 2010)

What are you reading? (August 2010)
What are you reading? (July 2010)

What are you reading? (June 2010)
What are you reading? (May 2010)
What are you reading? (April 2010)
What are you reading? (March 2010)
What are you reading? (February 2010)
What are you reading? (January 2010)
What are you reading? (December 2009)
What are you reading? (November 2009)
What are you reading? (October 2009)
What are you reading? (September 2009)
What are you reading? (August 2009)
What are you reading? (July 2009)
What are you reading? (June 2009)
What are you reading? (May 2009)

Thread here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=438936

The Count of Monte Cristo, by Alexandre Dumas

The original revenge novel! Thrown in prison for a crime he has not committed, Edmond Dantes is confined to the grim fortress of If. There he learns of a great hoard of treasure hidden on the Isle of Monte Cristo and he becomes determined not only to escape, but also to unearth the treasure and use it to plot the destruction of the three men responsible for his incarceration.

"A piece of perfect storytelling."
—Robert Louis Stevenson

Past month threads:
July - Master and Commander
June - The Happiness Project
May - A Visit From the Goon Squad
April - The Afghan Campaign
March - Stranger in a Strange Land
February - Flashman
January - Child 44

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
6a00f48cf01dff0002011016755f8f860d-500pi.jpg

Finally getting back into reading after reading literally nothing for the past month and a half or so. Enjoying this, so far 70 pages in.

Hd335.jpg

Posted this in the other thread, half way through.

If you are at all interested in the Navy SEALS, this is a great book. Some of the stories he has told sound straight out of movies. Beating the russians to a trident missile rocket engine, sneaking past patrol boats, etc.

I'm a little more than half way through. Some of his stories from the Lebanon Civil War and the Marine barracks bombing in the mid 80s are interesting, but at the same time very sad and harrowing. It really makes you think of how insignificant some of your civilian troubles are compared to being in a conflict/war.

KidDork

The Hunger Games.

After reading Rotters (which I'm still amazed is classified as a YA novel and not a straight up adult horror novel), I thought I'd check this one out to see if what used to be classified as YA has changed. I've seen the negativity surrounding the following two books in the series, but GAF seemed to like this one right enough.

It isn't bad so far. The lead character of Catniss reminds me of a teenaged Sarah Connor. There be angst, but there's a sense of brutality to the novel that makes it more understandable and acceptable.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
kxWZn.jpg

Finally decided to read the "young adult" series, just to be able to say that I've read all Discworld novels.
After reading around ~50 pages of the first one I must say it's not half bad.

500x500_808677_file.jpeg

I got given this by a family friend who is American. I'm English but with me moving to University this September, I thought it be a good read and help with a some stupid worries I have.

JGS

Banned
KidDork said:
The Hunger Games.

After reading Rotters (which I'm still amazed is classified as a YA novel and not a straight up adult horror novel), I thought I'd check this one out to see if what used to be classified as YA has changed. I've seen the negativity surrounding the following two books in the series, but GAF seemed to like this one right enough.

It isn't bad so far. The lead character of Catniss reminds me of a teenaged Sarah Connor. There be angst, but there's a sense of brutality to the novel that makes it more understandable and acceptable.
I got tired of reading Dark Tower but was still slogging through it when a co-worker loaned me this. I love it and don't see it as a book quite for the same age as it's Catniss.

I've had it for a few days and have about 50 pages left. Going to go ahead and pick up the series.

NewFresh

Just picked up Won-ton Soup 1 & 2 at half price books.
68ebd912-fe51-4be4-8636-60c03bae85b9.jpg
e3afb23d-9afd-4f9f-848e-6afb2c6415e6.jpg

Started the first one and it is pretty crazy. Intergalactic chef traveling the universe looking for insane ingredients.

Beowulf28

TheBranca18 said:
It goes up with The Great Hunt and then it's largely downhill after Fires of Heaven/Lord of Chaos.
Ugh really? Is the series still worth reading if it inevitably goes down the shiter?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Count Zero by William Gibson.

Really wish I could find A Clash of Kings, but it's been MIA at the Borders around here (no surprise). I'm yearning for some more ASOIAF.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Moved near a library branch, and got a stack of books to go through now, it's great.

51lDPWZ5ZnL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Amazing. I miss Far Side comics.

414YDZMVHQL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

From one of my favorite non-fiction writers. Really neat insights into nature and culture from an American perspective.

51HG6T2527L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Really unique sci-fi short stories from an author with an interesting backstory. In the midst of this one.

41f4u54o23L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Just started this one, looks to be pretty insightful.

giri

TheBranca18 said:
It goes up with The Great Hunt and then it's largely downhill after Fires of Heaven/Lord of Chaos.
ergh no it doesn't.

Beowulf28 said:
Ugh really? Is the series still worth reading if it inevitably goes down the shiter?
yes, it is.

Aquavelvaman said:
Started this a couple days ago:
1U1US.jpg
Fantastic read.

bengraven

jonnybryce said:
I've gotten pretty bored with books and am looking for a really captivating mystery/suspense book. I like twist endings. Anyone have any recommends?

Apparently Devil in the White City is one of the best books of the last decade. And since it involves the World's Fair Killer (aka America's First Serial Killer) who built his own Saw-like house of horrors, I think you'll be happy.

Aquavelvaman said:
Started this a couple days ago:
http://i.imgur.com/1U1US.jpg

This sounds like it would be awesome.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
bengraven said:
Apparently Devil in the White City is one of the best books of the last decade. And since it involves the World's Fair Killer (aka America's First Serial Killer) who built his own Saw-like house of horrors, I think you'll be happy.
I finished it a few weeks ago. Fantastic read.

bengraven

demon said:
I finished it a few weeks ago. Fantastic read.

A friend of mine who mainly reads contemporary "girl power" adult novels and is extremely prolific, going through a book a day usually, has told me this was her favorite novel of all time.

It shocked me...trust me, coming from her that's the biggest compliment ever.

The only reason I haven't read it (it's sitting on my shelf) is the sheer intimidation behind the recommendations (that and all the other books I have to read).

I've never ready any of these stories before but figured it was time to start:

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle
I can't help but picture House MD as Holmes and Wilson as Watson. I guess it could be worse. It could be Robert Downey Jr.

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
Joining in on the bookclub.

The Hidden Goddess by M.K. Hobson
I liked the first book and thought it was pretty self-contained. Picked this up for some light reading but I may get bored and move on.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'm not reading anything at the moment, but I picked up 'A Tale of Two Cities' by Charles Dickens the other day. I haven't read it before, and I figure I'll start it soon.

bengraven said:
This sounds like it would be awesome.

I added that book to my to-read list two days ago. Its number one on Goodreads 'Best Non-Fiction (non biography)' listopia.

Top Bottom