• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone takes China by storm–already 7% market share, ahead of iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aaand this is why Apple is to get the iPhone onto China Mobile (world's biggest carrier). Getting the iPhone onto three of the big four carriers in the US has pretty much stemmed the Android tide here; Apple pretty clearly knows that making sure people can actually buy your goddamn product on their carrier is a big deal.

BigDug13

Aaand this is why Apple is to get the iPhone onto China Mobile (world's biggest carrier). Getting the iPhone onto three of the big four carriers in the US has pretty much stemmed the Android tide here; Apple pretty clearly knows that making sure people can actually buy your goddamn product on their carrier is a big deal.

They're still making far and away the most profits if any of the companies. So it's not like they "need" to do it, but if they want to keep dominating all players, they do.

All thanks to Tango I presume. Microsoft and Nokia seem to know what they're doing, even if the western media, which is enamored with iOS/Android, seems to be spelling doom for Nokia and Windows Phone.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
if microsoft aren't crazy, they'll slip a really good corporate scheme in there with exchange and just murder blackberry. If they got corporate side, would be a real contender for apple in the phone space.

something has to replace blackberrys for corporate clients and android/iphone are doing a shitty job of it.

Except for app support, I am absolutely enamoured with my Nokia Lumia Windows Phone, and think if any smart phone OS deserves to take off, it's this one. It is just such a beautiful experience through and through.

Hopefully this means a future for the platform in the west.

Nokia share's still being on an overall downward trend shows that investors don't know shit. Windows Phone is definitely going to help Nokia. Wish I had money.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
if microsoft aren't crazy, they'll slip a really good corporate scheme in there with exchange and just murder blackberry. If they got corporate side, would be a real contender for apple in the phone space.

something has to replace blackberrys for corporate clients and android/iphone are doing a shitty job of it.

Admittedly my corporate needs are MS, but the phone, basically out of the box supports Outlook, office, exchange, skydive, our internal IM system, forwards biz calls to my cell, does speech to text on incoming voice messages and handles calendars better than anything else I have used.

numble

Chinese market data is so wonky:

http://thenextweb.com/asia/2012/05/...es-market-share-in-china-rocket-to-16-report/

This new report says iPhone is at 16% in China after Q1 (iPhone 4S launched in Q1).

Analysys said iPhone was at 5.7% in Q4.
Gartner said iPhone was 7.5% in Q4.

Also in that article:
Microsoft backed away from media reports — which originated from comments attributed to Michel van der Bel, its COO for Greater China — providing a non-committal statement which suggested that there had been a miscommunication.

gcubed

Nokia share's still being on an overall downward trend shows that investors don't know shit. Windows Phone is definitely going to help Nokia. Wish I had money.
Yeah!!!

Chinese market data is so wonky:

http://thenextweb.com/asia/2012/05/...es-market-share-in-china-rocket-to-16-report/

This new report says iPhone is at 16% in China after Q1 (iPhone 4S launched in Q1).

Analysys said iPhone was at 5.7% in Q4.
Gartner said iPhone was 7.5% in Q4.

Also in that article:

Er maybe they do... why wouldn't it be on a downward trend, their phone sales are orders of magnitude lower then previous years and still dropping every month.

Oh China, you so crazy!

I actually have a Windows phone. It was the best option available in my price range for my phone plan. The OS is great, but god damn the lack of support is pretty painful.

felipeko

Oh Microsoft, it's time to wake up... Knowing you, it's probably a 7% market on the smallest carrier (you know, the only carrier of Windows Phones in china...[source]). But it's nice to lie outright to all the blogs, as most would not care to really check what's the real deal.

Oh China, you so crazy!

I actually have a Windows phone. It was the best option available in my price range for my phone plan. The OS is great, but god damn the lack of support is pretty painful.

Yeah, support is kinda botched on both ends. Carriers are putting all their baskets into the IOS and Android markets (see Sprint on betting the farm on the iphone) and MS making mistakes such as launching only on non-CDMA networks for the first six months. Verizon was already ticked off at the last debacle (was it the Kin phone?) and so the delay did not help at all. I think Windows Phone will do better, maybe even up to 25% market share in a few years but it's a steep road ahead. To their credit though, MS is willing to throw money at stuff and stay in for the long haul (see Xbox).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom