• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: Good E3 for Wii U, owning both Wii U and 3DS beneficial in the future.

Woffls

Didn't we already know that Smash Bros is going to be cross-platform, or was that the result of lots of wishful thinking? Anyway, that would cover most of those points.

Into

I have no problem with that. I fully acknowledge when she was wrong. I understand that. People always look at one side he posted all the time she was wrong but fail to show when she was right. I mean blah blah broken clock..

and yea somebody sounds mad.

KobeLaughingAfterJasonGetsBlockedByRim.gif

She does have sources but Iwata's biggest source of heartache is her article and I will never forgive her for that.
Link?

Mighty nice of you. That said, you now have info we want. ;)
ShockingAlberto has tons of info we want. He's good about keeping it mum, though, and that's why he gets to know things.

Rogers has named her sources for me and I absolutely give her credit for that. I am obviously not going to repeat them but I recognize who they are and am keeping a notepad of the rumors and the sources to sit on.

We'll see if they pan out. I am not going to say I believe her but she has stepped forward and given me information she has not needed to give me if this were totally made up (though something being made up is not the only way a rumor can be inaccurate).

I'll withhold any future mocking until after E3, where I'll either apologize for this one or we'll do this dance again next year.
I've never seen your Twitter until now, so I must ask: why is your name ShockingAlberto? I always thought your real name was Alberto, but now that does not seem to be true.

Didn't we already know that Smash Bros is going to be cross-platform, or was that the result of lots of wishful thinking? Anyway, that would cover most of those points.
It's known that the two games will have some kind of interactivity.

More worthless 3 DS related rubbish. Give us games on Wii U.

I would like to know the sales of VC games. Or more importantly how many hours are played on them. I have yet to find a VC game I play longer than 5 minutes. OK Links awakening I spent about an hour but I think that's the only one. The games are generally trash.

How you think a system that's half of Nintendo is "worthless rubbish" baffles me. Just comes off as some sort of envy, which is odd considering the more money the 3DS makes, the more money Nintendo has to pour into the Wii U.

Also, if it's something akin to the Vita's connectivity with the PS4, it could even persuade people to buy a 3DS.

Revven

Rogers has named her sources for me and I absolutely give her credit for that. I am obviously not going to repeat them but I recognize who they are and am keeping a notepad of the rumors and the sources to sit on.

We'll see if they pan out. I am not going to say I believe her but she has stepped forward and given me information she has not needed to give me if this were totally made up (though something being made up is not the only way a rumor can be inaccurate).

I'll withhold any future mocking until after E3, where I'll either apologize for this one or we'll do this dance again next year.

Shocking turn around!

DaBoss

Lead the way!

I've never seen your Twitter until now, so I must ask: why is your name ShockingAlberto? I always thought your real name was Alberto, but now that does not seem to be true.

When I was in high school, I went to a lecture from Yasuhiro Imagawa at Georgia State University and, after the talk, he was signing some stuff. In Giant Robo, there is a member of the Magnificent Ten named Shocking Alberto and I asked him to sign a Giant Robo poster underneath that character's face.

His translator was busy and he didn't really understand me so he wrote "To Shocking Alberto" on the poster. I've used that as my internet handle since.

Shiggy

Oh god no! Of not make retro do a furry game Nintendo. And not an old IP.

New IP!!!!!

I think someone on NeoGAF (who's in the know) told us that it's not a new IP nor a 2D DK game.

Expecting a new retail IP from a Nintendo-owned studio is pretty optimistic anyway.

There are 3DS and Wii U versions of Smash being developed. It was never said if they're supposed to be the same game or completely different.

There are 3DS and Wii U versions of Smash being developed. It was never said if they're supposed to be the same game or completely different.

Actually, Sakurai has implied there will at least be some differences.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2011/06/08/e3-2011-early-super-smash-bros-details-revealed

Currently Sakurai's thought process is focused on the notion that a portable experience is a more personal one. Only one player is likely to be using a portable system, and it might be interesting to allow that player to customize Smash Bros. fighters on the 3DS, which could then be brought over to the larger world of a home console Smash Bros. Sakurai's thinking is that an element of communication between the two versions will make both better.

wsippel

Banned
I think someone on NeoGAF (who's in the know) told us that it's not a new IP nor a 2D DK game.

Expecting a new retail IP from a Nintendo-owned studio is pretty optimistic anyway.
Pretty sure Nintendo owns Monolith, and X certainly doesn't look like an eShop title...

This has become an amazing thread with quite a few turnabouts.

Alberto truthbombing emily rogers and then emily stepping up to the plate.

Then stumpo comes in and presses hard on the HUMILITY button, once again reminding all of us that GAF continues to crack the loud Von Karma whip of integrity into the spine of the games media industry.

Gaming journalism: rebuilding its spine, one lash at a time.

And this I love.

That said,

E3 can't come soon enough!

Shiggy

Pretty sure Nintendo owns Monolith, and X certainly doesn't look like an eShop title...

Thought it's supposed to be a Xenoblade successor - guess we need to wait on that. Are there any other new IPs expected from Nintendo? On 3DS they are also more or less absent if I see it correctly, just more of the obvious sequels.

Mihos

Gold Member
I don't care at all about Smash Brothers, but if they are going to fix the online stuff, add x-play, merge the wallets, etc... I could get behind that.

AzaK

How you think a system that's half of Nintendo is "worthless rubbish" baffles me. Just comes off as some sort of envy, which is odd considering the more money the 3DS makes, the more money Nintendo has to pour into the Wii U.

Also, if it's something akin to the Vita's connectivity with the PS4, it could even persuade people to buy a 3DS.

Worthless to me (I own one, its somewhere in my house under some junk, waiting to be sold). Nintendo had so much money before 3DS it's not funny and they are not spending it on doing what they need to do for Wii U. They opted to do the minimum and its backfiring but their response is 'Oh well, lets focus on 3DS. Please understand'

I'm sick of the combo of major 3DS focus AND complete disregard for Wii U and people like me that bought one at launch. Pikmin in August? Launch window my arse. Same goes for almost every other title of theirs. And don't get me started on third party support. Nintendo should have paid for ports, plain and simple.

Davey Cakes

I really think they should bring back "gifting." That's a pretty cool feature, and would actually help certain games.
Earthbound

Nintendo had so much money before 3DS it's not funny and they are not spending it on doing what they need to do for Wii U.
I'm pretty sure they are to some degree. They just haven't laid it out for everyone else to see.

E3 will be a chance for them to show everyone what they've been working on, more than the Nintendo Directs that we've already seen. I do agree that Nintendo didn't take the right approach but they'll be in quite the hole is Wii U completely and utterly fails. They most certainly have things brewing, and I will be shocked if they 100% drop the ball again.

I really can't believe the hypocrisy at GAF. A tweet suddenly makes all the nintendo fans sure that the Wii U is going to be redeemed, even after Nintendo has shown how incompetent they can be handling the Wii U. Those same fans that enter the Vita threads to remind everybody how it is dead, etc, etc. Even though Sony has actually showed how having both the Ps4 and Vita will be beneficial in the future, but yet the Vita is doomed. (with more games, better tech than the WiiU).
I know but in the Media create sale or the monthly NPD's threads you see how the nintendo fans ridicule the Vita. This coming from a huge 3DS supporter.
Fanboys acting like fanboys, shocking.

wsippel

Banned
Thought it's supposed to be a Xenoblade successor - guess we need to wait on that. Are there any other new IPs expected from Nintendo? On 3DS they are also more or less absent if I see it correctly, just more of the obvious sequels.
It may or may not be a sequel, but it's certainly no obvious sequel to a well known Nintendo IP. And there are some less obvious sequels on 3DS, like New Style Boutique or the new Band Brothers - it's not all Mario and Zelda.

plank

Who is Emily Rogers, and why should I care for what she posts on the net? Is she from Xplay or something?

Shiggy

Worthless to me (I own one, its somewhere in my house under some junk, waiting to be sold). Nintendo had so much money before 3DS it's not funny and they are not spending it on doing what they need to do for Wii U. They opted to do the minimum and its backfiring but their response is 'Oh well, lets focus on 3DS. Please understand'

I'm sick of the combo of major 3DS focus AND complete disregard for Wii U and people like me that bought one at launch. Pikmin in August? Launch window my arse. Same goes for almost every other title of theirs. And don't get me started on third party support. Nintendo should have paid for ports, plain and simple.

Nintendo had and has huge management issues. They were realising too late how resource-intensive it is. Partnerships were thus started too late, while rapid expansion could not have been a solution. Moneyhats would have been helpful perhaps.

Anyway, why did you buy the system at launch? I mean, you can only blame yourself for that as the software and hardware situation was well-known before (well, it got even worse since then but still, it was never looking bright for the first half of 2013).

It may or may not be a sequel, but it's certainly no obvious sequel to a well known Nintendo IP. And there are some less obvious sequels on 3DS, like New Style Boutique or the new Band Brothers - it's not all Mario and Zelda.

You are obviously right about X. But still, I think New Style Boutique and New Jam with the Band (I doubt that's getting a release over here based on how hard the DS game bombed) are just more of the same. Not that other publishers are any better, but I'm not really interested in most of their titles anyway - unlike Nintendo games.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Unified account system seems possible...

I wouldn't be surprised if they just mean more multiplayer games that allow for 3DS' to be used.

klier

I want to be able to play 3DS games on my WiiU. Don't have a 3DS, and don't want to buy one for those few games I really want..

Would this be possible?

Your ability to blame Nintendo for your own poor purchases never fails to amaze.

Top Bottom