• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spike VGAs Reveals [Use the new thread linked at the end of this one.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pranay

Update 2:

Via Seda:

t1354928400z1.png

USAToday said:
And in addition to announcing awards such as Game of the Year – the nominees are Assassin's Creed III, Dishonored, Journey, Mass Effect 3, The Walking Dead: The Game – new trailers for already announced games such as The Last of Us will be shown, as will five debut trailers.

"For hard-core gamers this is the first place you will ever see those new games," says the show's executive producer Mark Burnett. "Imagine if the Academy Awards was on and they announced five movies that no one has ever heard of. That is the equivalent. You will be on a rip-roaring, two-hour ride of television."
Source: http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/1751725?articlePage=2

Spike TV and Microsoft will also broadcast the Video Game Awards on Xbox LIVE in multiple countries. The show will also be streamed internationally on Spike.com and GameTrailers.com.
Yep you guys can watch the show worldwide at vga.spike.com. Works on the web, on your phone, on your iPad etc. No geoblocking. The preshow gets underway at 5 PM PT / 8 PM ET.

It's an incredible show and I'm very proud of the strides we are making this year. I hope you'll give things a fair shake. I know hating on the VGAs is a sport for most of the core audience, but we have some really amazing moments planned this year with some new games and some very special guests.

Enjoy the show.

Update:

GrizzNKev said:
“VGA TEN” will also feature highly anticipated world premieres from “Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2” (Konami), “BioShock Infinite” (2K Games), “Tomb Raider” (Square Enix), “Assassin's Creed III: The Tyranny of King Washington” (Ubisoft), “Halo 4: Spartan Ops” (Microsoft Studios) and more.

Good Q, there are a bunch of factors at play here. There are some surprises we aren't teasing at all this year for a variety of reasons. Next week we will drop some new footage on a few of the world premieres to give you a taste of what's to come on Friday night.

Geoff on Major Nelson podcast
Can add Bioshock and Tomb Raider to the list. Gears will show off the main enemy that hasn't been seen before. South Park gameplay will be shown.

Talks about the Xbox live stream, which will be smartglass enabled. Sam Jackson will be able to talk directly to Xbox Live community, Xbox live voting will impact the show.(even more teabagging this year?)

Talks about some of the game footage from the big games coming out next spring, then says there will be games shown that are coming "far beyond summer of 2013"

Gonna be a video package where Sam Jackson is inserted into a bunch of different games. All the former hosts will be back to celebrate 10 year anniversary.(Jack Black, Zach Levi, Snoop, Neil Patrick Harris)

Will be available on demand for 48 hours on Xbox Live after show ends. Pre show will start 1 hour before.

Geoff Keighley said:
Geoff Keighley ‏@geoffkeighley

@CrimsonDagger Great question, probably 75-80% of what you see this year will be in-engine

---

I think it will be better if we keep all the discussion in one thread just like last year's thread

General Info -

->Live on Friday 7th December 9pm ET/ 6pm PT
->VGA live steam this year is available globally around the world, and also on Xbox Live globally
->Next Gen Tease !
->Will be hosted by Samuel L Jackson

Confirmed Reveals -

The Last of Us

A895rCxCUAIJprz.jpg

Gears of War Judgement

judgment-default-hero.jpg

South Park : Stick of truth

South-park-stick-of-truth-logo-600x329.jpg

Castlevania Lord of shadows 2

gabriel.jpg

Tweets worth speculating -

1 - For old school gaming fans

Have an amazing VGA announcement coming together for old-school gaming fans....this one is very special to me personally.

2 - Something new from Cliffy B [?]

Looking forward to seeing @therealcliffyb at VGAs this year.

3 - A reveal as surprising as last of us

Reviewed a new cut of one of our big VGA surprise reveals this year, can't wait to share it with you next week.

Erik Griggs ‏@ErikGriggs
@geoffkeighley Anything as earth shattering as last years reveal of The Last of Us or 2010's reveal of Mass Effect 3?

@ErikGriggs We think so, yes.

Late night world premiere screening with our VGA team in LA. One surprise piece had everyone raving, can't wait to show you in 7 days.

Cade

Man, I'm excited. That reveal last year was mindblowing. Everyone waiting to see who this new game was by and then the NAUGHTY DOG logo showing up on the screen?

Legendary.

NateDrake

Revengance will probably be there in some form as well. Seems like a perfect opportunity to market it to the masses just before it launches.

It'd be nice if Aisha Tyler showed up with her lady wood.

I love that gal.

I'm probably not checking it out this year... only TLOU interests me.

MAYBE SYPHON FILTER PS4?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

No. It's not happening

Seda

Man, I'm excited. That reveal last year was mindblowing. Everyone waiting to see who this new game was by and then the NAUGHTY DOG logo showing up on the screen?

Legendary.

I thought it would have been better if the Naughty Dog logo came at the end of the trailer rather than the beginning. Still awesome.

ChaosXVI

I'm curious to see if Nintendo will indeed have a presence there this year...This certainly seems like the year for them to do it, and all this talk of Yoshi's Land...just might happen.

Also very interested in seeing more of Destiny, even if its something that I probably won't play, I can't help but be curious.

Man, I don't think the hype this year will ever live up to the hype for the new PS3 exclusive (TLOU) last year. That was amazing.

Edit: And I can't wait to see TLOU again.

geoffmk

Geoff Keighley
I thought it would have been better if the Naughty Dog came at the end of the trailer rather than the beginning. Still awesome.

I debated that for a long time with Naughty Dog last year....but I think it was perfect the way we ended up doing it.

Pranay

Listening to the podcast between major nelson and geoff

Tomb raider and bioshock infinite will be shown.
Gears of war judgement - campaign and main enemy

Nibel

Geoff post some weird gifs to hype us man

And I wonder if they'll top The Last Of Us this year - that was a fantastic reveal last year. I mean the only thing that could come close for me is the Bungie game or a first glimpse at the project that Respawn is working on.

Anth0ny

Man, the Last of Us unveil last year was incredible. NO ONE saw that shit coming.

If they could match that surprise this year, I'd be very impressed.

Rising by Platinum was a megaton too. VGAs 2011>>>>>>>>>E3 2012

New 1313 and/or Watch Dogs footage would be nice, too.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Really looking forward to seeing Castlevania, and I already know The Last of Us will be great so I doubt there will be any surprises for me from Naughty Dog. Can't say I care too much about Gears, I enjoy the series but I don't know, I'm finding myself not really caring about Judgement for some reason.

Hopefully some great new stuff, a tease of Next Gen would also be fantastic.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Come on source engine 2 and half life 3. I mean there was a 600mb update to HL:E2 ...

Yeaa.. Pulling at straws.

Hopefully there's no totally cringe worthy moments. Although at the same time I really hope there's a lot of cringe worthy moments.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I debated that for a long time with Naughty Dog last year....but I think it was perfect the way we ended up doing it.

Out of curiosity, was there a conscious decision to be more quiet about the reveals this year?

Generally I remember a ~1 month campaign advertising the reveals for the show, but now we're one week away and it feels like we have a lot less teasing.

I can't quite tell if you intend to pack it all in the last week, intend to tease less, or if there are just less reveals to tease.

geoffmk

Geoff Keighley
Out of curiosity, was there a conscious decision to be more quiet about the reveals this year?

Generally I remember a ~1 month campaign advertising the reveals for the show, but now we're one week away and it feels like we have a lot less teasing.

I can't quite tell if you intend to pack it all in the last week, intend to tease less, or if there are just less reveals to tease.

Good Q, there are a bunch of factors at play here. There are some surprises we aren't teasing at all this year for a variety of reasons. Next week we will drop some new footage on a few of the world premieres to give you a taste of what's to come on Friday night.

GrizzNKev

Banned
According to the press release I ignored in my email until now:

“VGA TEN” will also feature highly anticipated world premieres from “Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2” (Konami), “BioShock Infinite” (2K Games), “Tomb Raider” (Square Enix), “Assassin's Creed III: The Tyranny of King Washington” (Ubisoft), “Halo 4: Spartan Ops” (Microsoft Studios) and more.

I get the feeling a Destiny tease will be present. These recent leaks seem a bit too well timed, and Bungie's starting to get the ARG machine rolling... Ending VGAs with Bungie would be a show-stopper to say the least.

Jb

Last of Us, Castlevania, ... So it's basically the VGAs 2011 all over again?

I'd love some next gen stuff, but realistically we're probably not going to get a ton of new stuff until GDC/E3.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Thanks. Well, at least it should be more surprising this year.

According to the press release I ignored in my email until now:

I get the feeling a Destiny tease will be present. These recent leaks seem a bit too well timed, and Bungie's starting to get the ARG machine rolling... Ending VGAs with Bungie would be a show-stopper to say the least.

Combining Geoff's comments with this, I'll say that anything that's next-gen (or heavily focused toward next-gen) isn't getting teased at all, while the current gen games will get teased, and that there are less teasers for them since the last current gen games are all coming out pretty soon.

I also expect that Game Informer might have an article on Bungie's game, given that it comes out the night before the VGAs if they're sticking with first Thursday of this month.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Thanks. Well, at least it should be more surprising this year.

Combining Geoff's comments with this, I'll say that anything that's next-gen (or heavily focused toward next-gen) isn't getting teased at all, while the current gen games will get teased, and that there are less teasers for them since the last current gen games are all coming out pretty soon.

I also expect that Game Informer might have an article on Bungie's game, given that it comes out the night before the VGAs if they're sticking with first Thursday of this month.

This sounds very very likely. I'm with you 100%.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think the most interesting aspect about the reveals is that it implies very few studios aren't (at minimum) going cross generation, since otherwise this would be a great chance to show your current gen game for Fall 2013/Spring 2014 while it can still look good visually.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I think the most interesting aspect about the reveals is that it implies very few studios aren't (at minimum) going cross generation, since otherwise this would be a great chance to show your current gen game for Fall 2013/Spring 2014 while it can still look good visually.

Yeah. This is my first time observing a generational leap as an adult and with any knowledge of the industry and the technology, and it's interesting to watch this time-wall of mid-2013 where few to no games officially exist beyond it.

Jb

Don't we already pretty much know that at least Battlefield 4, the next AC and MGS: Ground Zeroes will be cross gen? I would also bet that yearly franchises like CoD (2 was a launch 360 after all) and NFS will also be available on both generations.

Squire

Banned
Don't we already pretty much know that at least Battlefield 4, the next AC and MGS: Ground Zeroes will be cross gen? I would also bet that yearly franchises like CoD (2 was a launch 360 after all) and NFS will also be available on both generations.

I think you can lock in almost anything from EA, Activision, and Ubisoft as cross-gen.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
This show was supposed to be about world exclusive premiers.
I thought it was supposed to be about giving out awards and honoring achievements in video games? It is exciting that it seems to be less of a marketing vehicle this year, even if that is only by accident.

Globox_82

Banned
I thought it was supposed to be about giving out awards and honoring achievements in video games? It is exciting that it seems to be less of a marketing vehicle this year, even if that is only by accident.

well I was talking about video game trailers...
Let's be honest no one cares about awards

GrizzNKev

Banned

The only real awards are given out to people who make games by people who make games. An arbitrary group of journalists whose legitimacy ranges from zero to meh holds no bearing.

Bring on the reveals Geoff. That is how I derive pleasure.

0gVkI.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom