• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera |OT| What Can Change The Nature of a Man?

Purkake4

Banned
Which is ironically what makes him complex.

Admittedly, it's been many years since I played Planescape Torment to completion. My memory of its details are fuzzy.
Full PST spoilers.
The Transcendent One is just (the concept of) your mortality separated from you, it has fed on your countless deaths over millennia, but at its core it's just a small part of you acting on basic instincts to continue its unnatural existence.

"[...]This entire Fortress has been constructed from belief. Belief damned a woman, whose heart clung to the hope that another loved her when he did not. Once, it made a man seek immortality and achieve it. And it has made a posturing spirit think it is something more than a part of me."

Is this game going to topple Divinity OS, or does that remain king on the PS4

King of what? Torment and Divinity are extremely different types of RPGs, as impossible to compare as, say, Deus Ex Human Revolution and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. Any comparisons based on the assumption that the games are similar would only end up being surface deep.

Alastor3

After seeing the OP, I will wait for InXile to rework on the game and buy the game of the year edition.

I still have planescape to do.

Anno

Ah ok I thought this was a CRPG like Divinity, best polish up on my knowledge before buying

It is, just one with a different focus. Divinity excelled at having crazy intricate combat and game systems, whereas this is much more centered on conversations and story/character development.

Freeman76

It is, just one with a different focus. Divinity excelled at having crazy intricate combat and game systems, whereas this is much more centered on conversations and story/character development.
Ok thanks for clearing that up. Will wait for a sale by the looks of it so far. Performance issues ruin games.

calder

I will absolutely be getting this in a couple of weeks when I'm done with Horizon. Looking forward to it, the setting and plot seemed fantastic based on the clips I've seen and the little I've read.

Playing on a Pro, hopefully the performance is ok.

Moff

FYI you're playing the beta, I'd wait until the release tomorrow in case your saves break.

oh I know, I will restart anyway, I just want to feel the world a bit

when I played the beta I wasn't very impressed but now I really like it, it often depends on my mood and I'm definitely in the mood for this kind of game now

Scan thoughts is of course already my favorite ability, as someone who loves dialogue and solving problems with it. but apparently it doesn't give me new dialogue options? that's a bit of a shame.

I am also not certain if intelligent or clever is the better kind of castoff for me, I want to be a caster but I think clever might suit me better

I also really liked the first few choices you get in thevery first small area,
lying to the thug, tell him the truth and then you can even get captured and wake up somewhere else. I know you get there soon anyway, as it's one of the 2 first quest destinatations, but I still love stuff like that, very cool. of course I also touched the obelisk in the bottom right corner and died. I will die a lot in this game.

Mugen08

Shame that there is an embargo on reviews until launch (according to opencritic?). Would have been interesting to read some TToN-reviews before going into full Zelda-mode.

SmZA

12 hrs before I can download it from GoG. I'm hoping I'll get to play a decent portion of it before my next session of GMing Numenera on Thursday but I've got a busy week. I worry that if my players play more of the game than I do, my GMing will pale in comparison to the game.

https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=17166#p181399

Lix from InXile forums writes:

"play4 gives 72/100.

Review is German and on paper:

Pro:

- Good Story, nearly as good as Witcher 3

Con:

- awful performance on PS4 Pro
- bad graphics even when compared to other "revival" Games; terrible character animations and poses, sterile atmosphere
- character and combat system are serviceable, but no more than that
- main story is predetermined and quest solutions are "nothing new" (reviewer warns not to believe "marketing speak" here)
- stats are badly balanced, too much power given to Intelligence chars

They confirm that there are no difficulty levels for combat.

Summary: "More of a book than a game - but a very good book." "

https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=17167&start=20#p181376

Grimskarson from InXile forums who beat the game adds:

"no sign of Oasis/Jerboa in the game..."

is the game out already? I redeemed the steam key and installing the game.

Come on, the release time has been discussed on the majority of this page, and this question has been asked a bunch of times already in the last few hours.

The game isn't out of early access until in about 11 hours.

Here we go again...

Oh yeah. Expect this game to end up with wildly divisive reviews as most niche indies tend to do. The more niche something is, the higher the chance that a reviewer who just "doesn't get it" will be tasked with reviewing it.

Moff

Here we go again...

Sounds good to me, if it's an interactive book where I can play my character as I see fit and influence the story, the world and other characers with it that's right down my alley and much better than most "cinematic experiences" out there where you basically just walk through tunnels most of the time and can't change a bit

Fjordson

https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=17166#p181399

Lix from InXile forums writes:

"play4 gives 72/100.

Review is German and on paper:

Pro:

- Good Story, nearly as good as Witcher 3

Con:

- awful performance on PS4 Pro
- bad graphics even when compared to other "revival" Games; terrible character animations and poses, sterile atmosphere
- character and combat system are serviceable, but no more than that
- main story is predetermined and quest solutions are "nothing new" (reviewer warns not to believe "marketing speak" here)
- stats are badly balanced, too much power given to Intelligence chars

They confirm that there are no difficulty levels for combat.

Summary: "More of a book than a game - but a very good book." "

https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=17167&start=20#p181376

Grimskarson from InXile forums who beat the game adds:

"no sign of Oasis/Jerboa in the game..."
So a double whammy of underwhelming visuals and poor performance. Cool cool.

Based on the opening areas, i don't get how someone could say this has bad graphics or "sterile" atmosphere

The Pillars aesthetic is so much prettier than Divinity's style

The Wart

On the other hand, this:
Sounds like a Torment game.

Haha that was my exact reaction.

Off topic but I'm always a bit bemused by how people cite the "What can change the nature of a man?" thing as this super interesting part of PT. I mean, the game provides a pretty definitive answer here: dying and being resurrected with a completely unrelated personality and no memories. Boom. Done. I guess you can headcannon something more interesting but the game doesn't really support that in any explicit way.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Haha that was my exact reaction.

Off topic but I'm always a bit bemused by how people cite the "What can change the nature of a man?" thing as this super interesting part of PT. I mean, the game provides a pretty definitive answer here: dying and being resurrected with a completely unrelated personality and no memories. Boom. Done. I guess you can headcannon something more interesting but the game doesn't really support that in any explicit way.

The game provides the answer it leans towards but the point is
there are many things that that can change the nature of a man. The player decides what they think is the reason.

gdt

Fuck man I'm really trying to play Planescape Torment but it's hard to really get into it. I've only enjoyed Falliht 1 and 2 years ago as a CRPG. The writing is wonderful but it's not fun to play.

Maybe I just gotta dig in until it clicks.

Wanna buy this so bad, the world and narrative looks amazing.

Fuck man I'm really trying to play Planescape Torment but it's hard to really get into it. I've only enjoyed Falliht 1 and 2 years ago as a CRPG. The writing is wonderful but it's not fun to play.

Maybe I just gotta dig in until it clicks.

Wanna buy this so bad, the world and narrative looks amazing.

How far into the game are you? It might not be your thing.

Vamphuntr

Is the final version a patch or another dld entirely? Not sure If want to download the EA now to have to download it again tomorrow. Found it for really cheap so even with the Inxile factor it mitigates the risk a bit.

I have yet to play PST (I'm sure I will in the future) or this game, but the skew towards intelligence is pretty much by design, right?

The RPG it is based on skews towards intellect-based characters, so I'm not surprised that their game does as well.

kionedrik

Is the final version a patch or another dld entirely? Not sure If want to download the EA now to have to download it again tomorrow. Found it for really cheap so even with the Inxile factor it mitigates the risk a bit.

As far as we know they will release a patch for the EA version to make it final.

Top Bottom