• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 PRO 4K native games (will update the list everytime there is a new game)

So I keep saying mixed reports here. Obviously 4K is the focus, but it seems like the general consensus is without a 4K TV there really is no benefit to getting a Pro right?
I guess Sony will do a FAQ like they did with VR but you should do a little digging man, Pro is a super PS4.

- If your on a 1080p set, the games will look better
- if your on a 4K set, the games will look much better
- If you get VR, framerate and image will look better
- Devs will decide if they want improved visuals or the game to run better

onQ123

Last night I was reading an article about why gamers should hold off on buying the PS4K. It's biggest point against purchasing it is that they don't think very many developers are going to utilize the extra power. Looking at the game list it is pretty nice but what are peoples thoughts on here? I have one preordered already but this article made me wonder. I'm struggling to find the article.

Is anyone else worried that support for this come 2017 will be less than great? I know people were talking about all games past a certain date having to have a Pro Mode or whatever it was called but I thought that turned out to not be entirely true.

All games from this point will support Pro

So I keep saying mixed reports here. Obviously 4K is the focus, but it seems like the general consensus is without a 4K TV there really is no benefit to getting a Pro right?

Why do people keep going back to this silliness?

Raven77

what are you talking about? It's a Sony policy to release games on there system, you HAVE to have a Pro version of you want your game on PlayStation period, how is the Pro not going to be supported, it's the same games as PS4 just beefed up. Obviously some devs will do more work than others.

Not sure how you missed this but it's around the question of upgrading to the PS4K when you already own a PS4. You don't HAVE to have a Pro version if you want to game on Playstation, you can have a regular PS4 and play Playstation games just fine. The question is also around your last statement, about how many devs outside of first party Sony will do any of the work required to make games better on PS4K.

I know technically "all games will support Pro" but I thought I remembered reading all that meant is you can play all games released, not that they will have any benefits.

onQ123

It drives me crazy to see people still believe this.

I even predicted these people in my OP from 2012

If one of the Next Gen Consoles has support for 4K games & the others don't could it have a effect on which console you buy Next Gen?

I know your 1st thought is "No 4K TVs cost like $30,000 & I don't need it & you can't see the difference on a normal size TV" but in 2005 the same was being said about 1080P now we have people wishing more games was in 1080P on the HD Consoles & PC Gamers point & laugh at 720P games, & also I noticed in just the last few weeks that 4K is the new buzz word & companies have been showing off lots of 4K TVs & even 8K prototypes so by the 2nd & 3rd year of the Next Gen Console cycle 4K TVs will be everywhere & there might not be any new consoles for the next 8 years so 4K might be a bigger deal than we think.

& on a weird but true note could it also influence you to buy the console without 4K support because you feel like you will not be able to enjoy the 4K Console to it's fullest potential because you don't plan to buy a 4K TV so you would rather have the console that you can enjoy to it's fullest potential?

All games from this point will support Pro

Because Sony hasn't really said anything to the contrary. We won't see a frame rate bump for most games, that's a given. So what is improved on a 1080p set?

I've had to explain to my friend many times. He just getting stuck on "I don't have a 4K TV so why would I want a pro instead of the slim?" Or "I'm only getting a pro because I can't play VR on a regular PS4."

Although its funny because whenever I re-explain that PSVR works on any PS4 he says "then whats the point of the pro!? I thought it was just for VR!" :p

I guess Sony will do a FAQ like they did with VR but you should do a little digging man, Pro is a super PS4.

Do digging where? 90% of the coverage I've read from the event has said exactly that. Where is the hands on with a pro on a 1080 set and exactly what improvements are there to "make the games look better"

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I guess when I made my post last page I should have said "modern" AAA games. Of course The Last of Us is a AAA game but it was also originally a PS3 game. I'm talking PS4 level AAA games like the Witcher 3 or Destiny for example.

Raven77

Because Sony hasn't really said anything to the contrary. We won't see a frame rate bump for most games, that's a given. So what is improved on a 1080p set?

I agree with this 100%. Sony has been vague about this only stating that some games will get patches, their own first party games will obviously take advantage of it, and that things will be "improved" for users without a 4K or HDR tv.

Hell, even on the official Sony page this is what it says:

Spectacular Graphics
Explore vivid game worlds with rich visuals heightened by PS4™ Pro*.

Enhanced Gameplay
Support for faster frame rates delivers super-sharp action for select PS4™ games.*

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/ps4-pro/
*Look for the 'PS4™ Pro Enhanced' icon on software packaging. 'PS4™ Pro Enhanced' features vary by game. Select titles may have enhanced visuals, frame rate, HDR 10 support, or increases in resolution. Select features depend on the type of display connected to PS4™ Pro. PS4™ Pro plays all PS4™ format games.

Basically if you don't have a 4K tv, the benefits you might receive will vary by title or might not exist at all. That is a fact. Not ALL titles will have the "PS4 Pro Enhanced" icon on the packaging because not all games will look better on Pro.

I want to re-state this, I have a Pro pre-ordered and am excited about it but only because I just got a 4K TV. That being said, I still have concerns about how much this thing will be supported. I have friends without 4k tv's that have no idea if or why they would buy a Pro.

onQ123

Yes they have they showed videos of what it will do in 1080P at the reveal & there is a Q&A

People just keep listening to the idiots that write stories & make youtube videos saying that they didn't explain the benefits.

Fisty

Games can be rendered at 1440p or 1800p before being upscaled to 4k. This means if you have a 1080p screen, instead of being upscaled to 4k it will be downsampled to 1080p, meaning a much cleaner image. Things like jaggies will be significantly reduced.

That's just the bare minimum work right there, devs can also increase draw distance (you can see farther) or increase LOD, cleaner effects, shadows, etc.

Think about it like this: if you have a PC that can play AAA games at 30fps on medium settings, what would happen if you doubled the GPS power? Not just a res increase, you could turn some effects up to high or increase other sliders

Lady Gaia

I know technically "all games will support Pro" but I thought I remembered reading all that meant is you can play all games released, not that they will have any benefits.

Games released prior to the cutoff date (which leaked documents suggested was late September 2016) will see no benefits. The hardware will literally run in a lower performance mode to behave as close as possible to an original PS4. No game released in the future will have that option.

Every game released now has been certified on the hardware running at full speed and will ship that way. Even if a developer doesn't change a single line of code their games will render in less time and their code will run faster, improving frame rate consistency if nothing else. Reports indicate that Sony has gone out of their way to make it easy to do more, and developers have every incentive to want their games in the news cycle by highlighting improved graphics as a result.

kevin1025

Banned
Do digging where? 90% of the coverage I've read from the event has said exactly that. Where is the hands on with a pro on a 1080 set and exactly what improvements are there to "make the games look better"

Games that support the Pro in 1080p will get improved visuals, in either bumping up the graphics settings, supersampling the image, and improving the framerate (making it a more stable 30fps in most cases). Or all of the above.

Games that don't support the Pro will run exactly the same on PS4 Pro that it does on PS4.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Yes they have they showed videos of what it will do in 1080P at the reveal & there is a Q&A

People just keep listening to the idiots that write stories & make youtube videos saying that they didn't explain the benefits.

They need to do more than a 30 second clip of Paragon and a website Q&A. Pro comes out in just over a month and the only media we have from it are still just snippets from the PS Meeting and even then most of that was never released in proper quality. They're absolutely doing a piss poor job at marketing this right now and I say that as someone with a Pro pre-ordered.

I guess when I made my post last page I should have said "modern" AAA games. Of course The Last of Us is a AAA game but it was also originally a PS3 game. I'm talking PS4 level AAA games like the Witcher 3 or Destiny for example.

Haha, by your standrads , you can't consider Destiny as a PS4 level AAA since it is a cross-gen game that released on PS3 and shared the same tech but and became a little better for PS4. Otherwise you have to consider TLOU: Remastered a PS4 level AAA since it receieced the same treatment as Destiny on PS4 if not better.

platocplx

They have had a massive FAQ for over a month on the pro.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/09/08/ps4-pro-the-ultimate-faq/

yeah its kind of clear of the people who are just going by that vs actually looking for information directly from sony and or actually ya know watching their presentation vs Reaction videos lol.

They need to do more than a 30 second clip of Paragon and a website Q&A. Pro comes out in just over a month and the only media we have from it are still just snippets from the PS Meeting and even then most of that was never released in proper quality. They're absolutely doing a piss poor job at marketing this right now and I say that as someone with a Pro pre-ordered.
they have release 4k versions of their own presentations. i seriously dont understand how hard is it to see this. Also VR is this month. thats the focus this month. Im sure next month you will see more focus on the Pro.

HStallion

Haha, by your standrads , you can't consider Destiny as a PS4 level AAA since it is a cross-gen game that released on PS3 and shared the same tech but and became a little better for PS4. Otherwise you have to consider TLOU: Remastered a PS4 level AAA since it receieced the same treatment as Destiny on PS4 if not better.

ok fine Battlefield 1 instead if you want to get pedantic about it. My point was a game released in the last two years will most likely not be getting a native 4K patch and I'm fine with that. My original point was that I'm surprised and fairly happy a lot of older and less graphically complex games are coming out at 4K and even some at 4K and 60 fps.

The Last of Us is a AAA game but it originated on the PS3. The remaster looks great on the PS4 but its not like its pushing something like UC4 level graphics and again, totally fine with that. I'll finally finish up my Grounded + run through on 4K when the Pro comes out to put things in perspective and I love that that is an option. I don't expect such an option as native 4K for UC4.

kevin1025

Banned

I'm sure we're going to be getting PS4 Pro videos coming. It's still a month out, which is soon, but they can have a huge marketing blowout once PSVR comes out. They don't want to overshadow that, most likely.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Elder Scrolls Online actually holding a steady 30fps at 4k when it can't hold a steady 30 now? I need to see the receipts.

Ricker

My thoughts on the whole do you need a PRO is this...if you already have a PS4 and have no plans to get a 4K set with HDR until the same time next year,stay with your PS4...no PS4,wait like one more month and grab a Pro and wait till next year when we know more about the Scorpio to decide if you go full 4K...

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I'm sure we're going to be getting PS4 Pro videos coming. It's still a month out, which is soon, but they can have a huge marketing blowout once PSVR comes out. They don't want to overshadow that, most likely.

I'd understand if they were blowing the doors off the place with PSVR marketing but they're not doing that either. I suppose this is why it's a bad idea to release two $400 products right next to each other though.

Caayn

Elder Scrolls Online actually holding a steady 30fps at 4k when it can't hold a steady 30 now? I need to see the receipts.
I think that ESO is more CPU bound than GPU bound. I doubt it'll hold steady 30fps, regardless of resolution, but the small CPU boost in the Pro should at least improve the framerate.

kevin1025

Banned
I'd understand if they were blowing the doors off the place with PSVR marketing but they're not doing that either. I suppose this is why it's a bad idea to release two $400 products right next to each other though.

I think having all of the reviews and impressions for PSVR a week early is their version of marketing, for better or worse. But you are right, otherwise it's been fairly muted. I think with releasing the slim, the headset and the Pro so close to each other it's more aggressively trying to keep the Playstation ecosystem in place, giving something for everyone, and so things are being left in the shuffle for some.

For me personally, I sold my PS4 last month and am going Pro, and so I've been single-minded in wanting this thing and have been reading any little tidbit that's come out.

But I think we'll get a bunch of Pro videos and impressions before it releases. It might be a few from Sony and from Playstation sites and Youtube channels at first, and then also widespread reviews like we've been seeing this week for VR!

Have you played TLOU Remastered? That game is as much a "PS4 level AAA game" as either Destiny or the Witcher 3.

HStallion

Have you played TLOU Remastered? That game is as much a "PS4 level AAA game" as either Destiny or the Witcher 3.

I'd beg to differ when we have a made for PS4 game in Uncharted 4. I still think The Last of Us Remastered looks great even to this day but the difference is night and day between the two. I don't see why this is such a contentious statement to say a made for PS4 /X1 AAA will most likely never run at native 4K resolution. I'd actually love to be proven wrong as well I just don't see it happening and for fairly straight forward and obvious reasons.

I'd love more PS3/360 era games to start coming out at native 4K res like Skyrim and TLoU are. Hell I'd even kill for Okami and the Team Ico collection games to be re-released at 4K resolutions and some other lookers from the PS2 era.

Planet

The remaster looks great on the PS4 but its not like its pushing something like UC4 level graphics [...] I don't expect such an option as native 4K for UC4.
OK, so I will eat my words and say: The remaster runs at double the framerate, naturally Uncharted 4 had much more time for pretty environments to render, also the tech was improved.

Again: TLoU runs in checkerboard 4K (AFAIK) at the same 60 frames it runs on PS4, just like U4 does at 30. Only by going down to half the rate, it uses that time gained to render 4K natively.

onQ123

I agree with this 100%. Sony has been vague about this only stating that some games will get patches, their own first party games will obviously take advantage of it, and that things will be "improved" for users without a 4K or HDR tv.

Hell, even on the official Sony page this is what it says:

Basically if you don't have a 4K tv, the benefits you might receive will vary by title or might not exist at all. That is a fact. Not ALL titles will have the "PS4 Pro Enhanced" icon on the packaging because not all games will look better on Pro.

I want to re-state this, I have a Pro pre-ordered and am excited about it but only because I just got a 4K TV. That being said, I still have concerns about how much this thing will be supported. I have friends without 4k tv's that have no idea if or why they would buy a Pro.

PS4 Pro: The Ultimate FAQ

Q: Will PS4 Pro require a 4K TV?

No. PS4 Pro can display much higher resolutions than the standard PS4 when using a 4K TV. But if you own an HDTV (720p, 1080i, 1080p), PS4 Pro can still improve your gaming experience.

Q: What benefits does PS4 Pro provide when played on a non-4K HDTV?

PS4 Pro offers benefits even if you play on a HDTV that isn’t 4K. Depending on how the developer chooses to use the increased processing power, games with PS4 Pro support are able to render higher or more consistent framerates, increased environmental and character model detail, improved overall visual quality, and other related visual enhancements. For a look at how games are using the power of PS4 Pro, watch some of the first game footage on our YouTube page.

Additionally, PS4 games that render below native 1080p (maximum quality for HD TVs) on the standard PS4 can be elevated to render at full native 1080p on an HDTV.
See below for a chart detailing how PS4 Pro will display based on different TV types.

kLpVEjX.png

onQ123

There is way too much fake concern going on, no one has to keep explaining to people that a more powerful console is going to look better no matter what resolution your TV is.

icespide

Banned
anyone else greatly anticipating the first Digital Foundry breakdown of a game with major PS4 Pro advantages? I'm guessing a lot of people will suddenly want one

Dlacy13g

"PS4 PRO 4K native games (will update the list everytime there is a new game)".... missed opportunity by the OP....should have read "PS4 PRO 4K native games (will checkerboard in everytime there is a new game)".

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN

Yeah, the general WRONG consensus....

If that was true, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a normal 1080p PS4 game and an enhanced 1080p PS4 Pro game.

We know for a fact that is not the case.

I am not sure where this disinformation is coming from, (Colin Moriarty?) because Sony clearly stated the difference and even used Epic Games Paragon as an example. And we know that game has TONS of improvements to the game in Pro mode

"Supporting PS4 Pro for enhanced 1080p is as easy as enabling the support in the Sony publishing tools," according to Marcus Wassmer, Epic’s core rendering team lead.

"Unreal Engine 4.13 is already fully capable of taking advantage from that perspective. Doing this will give you an immediate large performance boost on a title running on PS4 Pro. What you choose to do with the extra performance is totally up to you."

For Paragon on PS4 Pro, Epic has added dynamic lighting along with enhanced geometry and scene complexity. The game also utilizes new volumetric effects such as light shafts and fog; motion blur; enhanced HLOD (hierarchical level of detail) and increased view distance; screen space reflections; contact shadows; procedural grass; and advanced light bloom.

"From a rendering perspective, it lets us more closely realize our vision for the game by reducing the number of compromises we have to make for performance."

Paragon will run at 1080p and 60fps on PS4 Pro, while it's offered at 900p on regular PlayStation 4.

http://www.gamepur.com/news/24374-i...-pro-enhanced-1080p-mode-says-epic-games.html

Fisty

anyone else greatly anticipating the first Digital Foundry breakdown of a game with major PS4 Pro advantages? I'm guessing a lot of people will suddenly want one

Yep I have a feeling BF1 is going to really get some attention. I could see 1080p native or maybe even 1440p, at a more stable 60.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
This list will be very interesting to watch grow after the console releases. Right now, it seems like if a game is a remaster or simpler game graphically, then it will hit 4k. But I do wonder if how developers use PS4 Pro will change when they're thinking of the console during the early design phases of a game. Three years from now, it'll be intriguing to see what was achieved with this incremental console.

I don't think much will change. They are still using the current gen consoles as baseline. In that scenario, they will only put minimum effort into these incremental units because its easier on development. This will also likely apply to Scorpio as well.

Yes you will. Just by recognizing the 30% CPU bump for Pro, every game will have stabler framerates by default than the original unit. And regardless of what TV you have, games will look significantly better than PS4, either by downsampling the higher pixel image, or having a dedicated 1080p optimized mode.

Its very simple, i'm not sure where the confusion from this very simple concept is coming from.

I don't think much will change. They are still using the current gen consoles as baseline. In that scenario, they will only put minimum effort into these incremental units because its easier on development. This will also likely apply to Scorpio as well.

Yes you will. Just by recognizing the 30% CPU bump for Pro, every game will have stabler framerates by default than the original unit. And regardless of what TV you have, games will look significantly better than PS4, either by downsampling the higher pixel image, or having a dedicated 1080p optimized mode.

Its very simple, i'm not sure where the confusion from this very simple concept is coming from.

If only there were PS4 PRO esclusives (or the PS4 was released with PS4 PRO specs) we would see real wonders.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
If only there were PS4 PRO esclusives (or the PS4 was released with PS4 PRO specs) we would see real wonders.

That would go against the whole concept of the PS4 Pro and the Xbox Scorpio for that matter.

At the end of the day, Pro is a PS4 and Scorpio is an Xbox One. Both companies have been very clear about this and have gone on record saying this.

Edit: in anticipation of the Xbox fans crying bloody murder, I will just leave a quote from the Phil Spencer interview at Gamespot a couple of days ago

Phil Spencer said:
But I also want people to understand that Scorpio is going to be a premium console. Like, I'm not trying to sell you a high-end gaming PC rig for a couple of thousand dollars or something. We look at consumer price points of consoles and definitely our target is to hit that. But it will be a premium version of an Xbox One and we'll talk more about pricing as we're cutting it closer to the launch and everything else.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-head-phil-spencer-talks-scorpio-ps4-pro-4k-re/1100-6444198/

Here is a video of Mark Cerny talking about PS4 Pro 1080p TV enhancements during the PlayStation Meeting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l44DpEF8QcI

Can't believe how many people either missed, or choose to ignore this....

I am sure not many people watched the conference. Even the media that did, seem not to understand. If you want to see proof of that, watch the kind of funny reaction where someone there loses it because they don't understand the purpose of it. Its kind of funny.

That would go against the whole concept of the PS4 Pro and the Xbox Scorpio for that matter.

At the end of the day, Pro is a PS4 and Scorpio is an Xbox One. Both companies have been very clear about this and have gone on record saying this.

Not at all. While PS4 PRO is considered among this gen and must stick to it, Microsoft explicitely confirmed that there are no gens anymore for them (more like PC route now) and devs are free to whteher improve available Xbox One games or develop exclusive games for Scorpio. That is why I wished PS4 PRO would follow the same path.

Edit: My bad then, it must have been the early unclear informations at that time. I think the MicroSoft confirmed exclusive VR only games on Scorpio.

onQ123

Not at all. While PS4 PRO is considered among this gen and must stick to it, Microsoft explicitely confirmed that there are no gens anymore for them (more like PC route now) and devs are free to whteher improve available Xbox One games or develop exclusive games for Scorpio. That is why I wished PS4 PRO would follow the same path.

No they didn't

Top Bottom