• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Someone Needs to Make a 4k Downsampling Device

We all know that the PS4 Pro can output at 4k/60Hz, but what if you don't have a 4k TV? The problem here is, currently, there is no support for 1440p resolution and also, not all PS4 Pro games support Supersampling (the process of taking a higher resolution image and displaying it at 1080p).

I think it would be really cool if someone came up with a hardware device that could take the PS4 Pro's 4k signal and display it on any screen.

I'm talking about being able to set the PS4 Pro to 4k in the settings even if your display is not capable of 4k because the downsampling will be done in the box before it gets to your display.

I tried looking and there's nothing out there that can do this yet, but that would be so cool!

NewDust

There is no reason this needs to exist (for gaming) IF Sony/dev's allow the internal resolution to be send to the tv.

Also, such a device already exists and runs around $200... No thanks.

onQ123

I think I already seen one posted on NeoGaf but it costed a lot so at that point you could just buy a $200 4K TV or used the money that you was going to spend on that device to put towards buying a 4k TV.

shiyrley

Banned
I still can't believe the PS4 Pro doesn't support 1440p output. I admit that it's a niche resolution, but it would be so trivial. Just downscale whatever resolution to 1440p instead of 1080p, that's it. And there are many games that run at native 1440p on PS4 Pro, this would be perfect for those. But no.

I mean, the Xbox 360 lets you select any sub-1080p PC resolution via HDMI after a software update, with no problem.

I don't wanna waste my money on a $200 downsampler because I fear that if I do that, Sony will come out with an update with a system-wide option and I'll look like a fool for spending $200.

Top Bottom