• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA disabling purchased copies of Rock Band iOS? [Yes / No / Maybe / Bear's Driving!]

lol.

This is what digital distribution means, nerds! Somehow you end up paying for something you don't own.

In fact, if you give me half of your salary this month, I'll license you my house. You can visit it as much as you want. Until I decide you can't. And you won't own it. Deal?

The EA shenanigans are a mere drop in the ocean to when people finally wake up and realise that every PSN purchase expires with the PS3....

Derrick01

Banned
Jeeze.

You know, for a few years there, EA had REALLY turned itself around and regained a LOT of respect among gamers after the shit they had pulled for years.

Now it's back to that shit again.

Sorry but anyone who believed they turned around was simply being naive. I could see through that crook Riccitiello's fake smile from day 1.

test_account said:
How are they going to do that? And what about Xbox 360?

Lots of rumors that Sony will drop the cell so a lot of games won't work on PS4. Xbox should be fine.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The EA shenanigans are a mere drop in the ocean to when people finally wake up and realise that every PSN purchase expires with the PS3....

I've thought about that one. With PS4 being a whole other animal I could easily see compatibility issues with PS3.

test_account

XP-39C²
Lots of rumors that Sony will drop the cell so a lot of games won't work on PS4. Xbox should be fine.
Because the PSN purchases are locked to the PS3 and when you no longer have a PS3, you'll no longer have the games. There's no way in hell they'll emulate them all on the PS4.
I'm pretty confident that none of the current DLC and XBLA/PSN games will make the transition to the next set of consoles.
Oh, in that sense, i understand. But that is like saying that i'm being locked out of my NES games if i buy a SNES :) The reason why i asked is because it is possible to disable a product after X-amount of time on the PS3, but this has to be done when purchasing the game (when it activates the game to your account), it cant be done later on as far as i know.

Ridley327

I'm pretty confident that none of the current DLC and XBLA/PSN games will make the transition to the next set of consoles.

I'd be really surprised if that stuff doesn't carry over on the next Xbox; MS doesn't appear to be in a position where the architecture of their next system is so different that it would cause compatibility issues with games on the previous platform. I'd bank on the next Xbox having all of your digital games and DLC carrying over just fine.

Oh, in that sense, i understand. But that is like saying that i'm being locked out of my NES games if i buy a SNES :) The reason why i asked is because it is possible to disable a product after X-amount of time on the PS3, but this has to be done when purchasing the game (when it activates the game to your account), it cant be done later on as far as i know.

No it's completely different.

I could jump onto ebay right now and grab a NES cart because it's a physical item. When a PSN game no longer exists how would anyone get one?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I could jump onto ebay right now and grab a NES cart because it's a physical item. When a PSN game no longer exists how would anyone get one?

As a practical matter, they download a pirated copy and play it on an emulator. Whether or not you consider that ethical depends on your own standards.

You're wrong about XBLA. They will all be backwards compatible on the next Xbox.

Microsoft isn't that stupid, and there is already evidence they very much intend on having full backwards compatibility on their next console.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
This is the number one post on the front page of reddit right now. I bet EA is going to have to put their tail between their legs and undo this once they get word of all the bad press.

Also: HILARIOUS

http://support.eamobile.com/

"This site has been disabled for the time being."

Grecco

This is the number one post on the front page of reddit right now. I bet EA is going to have to put their tail between their legs and undo this once they get word of all the bad press.

EA barely gets any bad press when they take down the servers for their xbox/ps3 games they wont here.

Xanathus

EA barely gets any bad press when they take down the servers for their xbox/ps3 games they wont here.

Bad press is completely meaningless if people keep buying their games. Frankly if you want something actually done about it, stop buying their games and/or file a class-action lawsuit.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
lol.

This is what digital distribution means, nerds! Somehow you end up paying for something you don't own.

In fact, if you give me half of your salary this month, I'll license you my house. You can visit it as much as you want. Until I decide you can't. And you won't own it. Deal?

Get off your high horse and realize this has always, ALWAYS been the case with every EULA. Physical or not. If you have no idea what you're talking about, please just don't post. Of course, it's easier to pull this with DD games rather than physical but that's not what you're arguing.

I'm so sick of the anti DD people crapping up this thread with their unknowledgeable posts. You don't know what you're talking about, just shut up. EA is a crappy company to do this but they always had the right. Fuck them for exercising it, though.

A. Grant. Through this purchase, you are acquiring and EA grants you a personal, non-exclusive license to install and use the Software for your personal, non-commercial use solely as set forth in this License and the accompanying documentation. Your acquired rights are subject to your compliance with this Agreement. Any commercial use is prohibited. You are expressly prohibited from sub-licensing, renting, leasing or otherwise distributing the Software or rights to use the Software, except by transfer as expressly set forth in paragraph 2 below. The term of your License shall commence on the date that install or otherwise use the Software, and shall end on the earlier of the date that you dispose of the Software; or EA's termination of this License. Your license will terminate immediately if you attempt to circumvent the technical protection measures for the Software.

http://tos.ea.com/legalapp/eula/US/en/PC/

IrishNinja

Also: HILARIOUS

http://support.eamobile.com/

"This site has been disabled for the time being."

haha, goddamn.

Because the PSN purchases are locked to the PS3 and when you no longer have a PS3, you'll no longer have the games. There's no way in hell they'll emulate them all on the PS4.

i'm always surprised when i see this - don't most customers buy a PSN/XBLA/etc library under the assumption they can carry their digital goods into the next gen? this seems even more precarious than not bringing physical software BC, because you're asking consumers to have faith & invest in your ecostystem (a tall order for sony after PSN's downtime/compromise last year), but then just drop it all after every gen? this feels like a weird assumption.

You're wrong about XBLA. They will all be backwards compatible on the next Xbox.

Microsoft isn't that stupid, and there is already evidence they very much intend on having full backwards compatibility on their next console.

You're insane if you think Halo 4 and all of its DLC won't be playable on the next Xbox at launch.

It will most likely be BC at launch, but will they keep the XBL support for current gen games, or shut it down in 3-4 years like they did with the old XBL? You can't download any of the patches or DLC for Xbox 1 games anymore.

Did we ever get a reason why they shut down XBL for Xbox 1 games? I remember some people speculating it was because of the 100 friends limit, but we still have that limit.

MS said that "it is clear this will provide the greatest benefit to the Xbox LIVE community.", but we haven't benefited at all from it as far as I know.

Massa

haha, goddamn.

i'm always surprised when i see this - don't most customers buy a PSN/XBLA/etc library under the assumption they can carry their digital goods into the next gen? this seems even more precarious than not bringing physical software BC, because you're asking consumers to have faith & invest in your ecostystem (a tall order for sony after PSN's downtime/compromise last year), but then just drop it all after every gen? this feels like a weird assumption.

When I buy games for a device I expect it to work on that device alone, anything else is just a bonus.

Get off your high horse and realize this has always, ALWAYS been the case with every EULA. Physical or not. If you have no idea what you're talking about, please just don't post. Of course, it's easier to pull this with DD games rather than physical but that's not what you're arguing.

I'm so sick of the anti DD people crapping up this thread with their unknowledgeable posts. You don't know what you're talking about, just shut up. EA is a crappy company to do this but they always had the right. Fuck them for exercising it, though.

WTF are you talking about?

Firstly you are so far off base with EULAs that it hurts. When has an EULA ever been tested in court, and found to be legally binding. I'll give you a clue: NEVER.

Secondly, at least in the UK (and possibly across wider EU), physical media sales are covered by the Sale of Goods Act - one of the terms of this is that what you buy should be FIT FOR PURPOSE for a reasonable expected lifespan. Therefore, if you had this Rockband game on physical media, you'd be instantly entitled to get your money back from EA. This does not apply to DD as in the eyes of the law, you are renting for an indefinite period of time. Yes, even on Steam.

Ergo Physical media is superior to DD

Ergo You don't know what you're talking about

Omikaru

It will most likely be BC at launch, but will they keep the XBL support for current gen games, or shut it down in 3-4 years like they did with the old XBL? You can't download any of the patches or DLC for Xbox 1 games anymore.

Did we ever get a reason why they shut down XBL for Xbox 1 games? I remember some people speculating it was because of the 100 friends limit, but we still have that limit.

MS said that "it is clear this will provide the greatest benefit to the Xbox LIVE community.", but we haven't benefited at all from it as far as I know.
I think the Xbox 1 support was a special case, since many Xbox LIVE functions were hard coded into the games, meaning certain functions couldn't be updated without patching individual titles.

Xbox LIVE on 360 is OS level, so they don't have to worry about legacy games fucking up the network. At the very worst, Xbox 360 consoles may be blocked from XBL in the future (due to a lack of firmware updates), but the games still fully functional on the network via BC.

Of course, all this depends on MS's back compatibility strategy.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
WTF are you talking about?

Firstly you are so far off base with EULAs that it hurts. When has an EULA ever been tested in court, and found to be legally binding. I'll give you a clue: NEVER.
What does that have to do with ANYTHING? You're arguing nonsense. The fact is that it's there and has always been there. Who is to say the EULA wouldn't stand up in court and who is to say EA's recall of Rockband would be stopped by the courts? You're arguing conjecture.

Your argument is DD enables companies to do this. No. They have always written that right into their EULA. You are wrong.

You can talk about the UK but I don't live in the UK so I don't care.

What does that have to do with ANYTHING? You're arguing nonsense. The fact is that it's there and has always been there. Who is to say the EULA wouldn't stand up in court and who is to say EA's recall of Rockband would be stopped by the courts? You're arguing conjecture.

Well seeing that an EULA is accepted by something as simple as clicking "accept", which could quite easily be done by a minor with no legal right to accept such an EULA, or even a frickin cat jumping on the mouse - therefore, if I went to court over an EULA, they would have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that I had UNDERSTOOD AND ACCEPTED. And they couldn't do that. So yeah, I'm pretty confident that the EULA wouldn't stand up in court. Where's your "conjecture" to say it would stand up in court?

Lol. That just about says it all. America, fuck yeahhhhh!

I'll revise then: If you buy DD in the UK (and mostly likely the wider EU) you have absolutely zero rights as a consumer so don't cry when EA decide to disable it. Buy physical if you want indefinite access to your purchase. Go DD if you're comfortable with a non-determinable rental period.

Bboy AJ

Lol. That just about says it all. America, fuck yeahhhhh!

I'll revise then: If you buy DD in the UK (and mostly likely the wider EU) you have absolutely zero rights as a consumer so don't cry when EA decide to disable it. Buy physical if you want indefinite access to your purchase. Go DD if you're comfortable with a non-determinable rental period.

Now that you've clarified your statement, you can carry on. I'd make you apologize for giving me a reason to clarify things but it's okay.

"Absolutely zero rights" seems like bs but whatever. I don't know UK law. But neither do you, it seems.

test_account

XP-39C²
No it's completely different.

Sure, but as long as your PS3 works, you wont be locked out of the games. If a digital download service goes down and you lost your original download, this is the unfortunate backside of digital download. Unless piracy is possible as Stumpakapow mentioned, then at least it is possible to grab a unofficial backup.

GeekyDad

All this noise could easily be avoided by simply changing the word "purchases" to "rentals." Just model the App Store and other online retailers after Gamefly and similar media-rental businesses, and say, "You can play this...for a while."

Evidently, EA wants its ball back.

Da3Hu.jpg

EDIT: Haha just noticed the grammar. Fuck it.

Ha. The bad grammar would work better in a Cacpcom thread.

So what you're saying is, is that you're confident that all my Rock Band tracks and all of my XBLA games will carry over to the next console generation? I'd love for it to be true, but both MS and Sony have already shown that BC is an afterthought, at best. I'm sure they'll be more than willing to sell a re-re-rereleased compatible version to me though.

They also removed Tetris from the App Store and added it again with in-app purchases and Origin and some (possibly optional) monthly fee.

For the most part I'm sure it will be largely backwards compatible. But the next xbox after that? I doubt it

Bboy AJ

Well seeing that an EULA is accepted by something as simple as clicking "accept", which could quite easily be done by a minor with no legal right to accept such an EULA, or even a frickin cat jumping on the mouse - therefore, if I went to court over an EULA, they would have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that I had UNDERSTOOD AND ACCEPTED. And they couldn't do that. So yeah, I'm pretty confident that the EULA wouldn't stand up in court. Where's your "conjecture" to say it would stand up in court?

This is such bullshit and there is a ton of precedent saying otherwise.

http://firstyearcontracts.blogspot.com/2009/09/duty-to-read-and-another-case.html

"As I wrote the other day, under all the court decisions I am aware of online sellers can ensure that their contracts are not invalidated on these grounds merely by requiring the affirmative act of clicking on an “I agree” button. As I read all of these decisions, online agreements that require the consumer to click “I agree” are enforceable despite the fact that consumers generally do not read the agreements.

To rule otherwise would overturn ages of decisions imposing on the consumer a “duty to read” that binds them to agreements they express agreement to even if they don’t understand what they are agreeing to. It would also leave open to dispute any online transaction that the consumer decided he or she didn’t like, a result that would mire our economy and courts in a mess to deep to contemplate."

Just stop posting, buddy.

Your argument is DD enables companies to do this. No. They have always written that right into their EULA. You are wrong.

You're wrong. An Eula in a boxed product is never a legal contract simply because it wasn't read and signed before the purchase. It's as simple as that. Then you have the issue that in the EU at least, companies forfeit every right to the copy you bought the moment they sell it to you. The physical copy is your property after the transaction is completed.

DD is insofar different as you are only paying a license to use a software. In this case, this license can be revoked at any time and without disclosure. I'd call the police if someone from EA was standing at my door wanting my game back and have them arrested. A recall isn't legally binding, especially when there was no signed contract, which with games there never is.

The legislation regarding DD is a muddy grey area, that has many loopholes which allows publishers to act like EA just did.

Now that you've clarified your statement, you can carry on. I'd make you apologize for giving me a reason to clarify things but it's okay.

"Absolutely zero rights" seems like bs but whatever. I don't know UK law. But neither do you, it seems.

You have the right to use it as long as the provider allows it. That's basically what it boils down to. You are allowed to pay for then living under the content providers mercy.

Sweet deal.

Top Bottom