• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IBM: WiiU running on Watson's brain. 45nm MultiCore CPU with "lots" of embedded DRAM.

AceBandage said:
Uh, if they're going with parts like this, it won't compete with the 360/PS3. It'll destroy them.

Your words, not mine :) I like to stay conservative. Some GAF people go nuts when I state facts :)

brain_stew said:
If the CPU is indeed a Power7 design then there's no two ways around it, its CPU is a genuine generational leap. Given that, it would be very bizarre if the GPU is not also significant leap forward, the GCN was incredibly well balanced.
Interesting. I hope this ends up coming true. When you say generational leap, you mean a gen leap from the Wii right? I would be fine with that I think

CoffeeJanitor said:
Interesting. I hope this ends up coming true. When you say generational leap, you mean a gen leap from the Wii right? I would be fine with that I think

It's already much more than a generational leap from the Wii.
We're talking from the 360 now.

CoffeeJanitor said:

No, from Xenon to Power 7.

Biggzy

AceBandage said:
Yup, Nintendo won't bottleneck the CPU with a weak GPU.
We are seeing very early tech demos from Nintendo and PS3/360 versions of multiplatform games.
Come this Fall and Next E3, people are going to be very surprised.

Yeah let’s hope Nintendo don't pull a Sony a pair an impressive CPU with a comparatively weak GPU.

antonz

Yeah If they stick with Tri-Core your looking at 12MB of eDRAM on the CPU. Thats quite the step up from 1MB on Xenon

brain_stew said:
If the CPU is indeed a Power7 design then there's no two ways around it, its CPU is a genuine generational leap. Given that, it would be very bizarre if the GPU is not also significant leap forward, the GCN was incredibly well balanced.

Good point. Very interesting. Next year will be something of a shock to many.

It sounds pretty expensive for a Nintendo console. Wouldn't a Power7 and a beefy GPU combo run into heating problems in a console that size?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
AceBandage said:
It's already much more than a generational leap from the Wii.
We're talking from the 360 now.

So I'll ask again for the new page...can be put numbers on this? 10x more, assuming a 'low end' generational leap, or more? 15x? 20x?

(Assuming we're talking about a triple core at, let's say, 3Ghz)

scitek

Raistlin said:
Certainly the GPU will be lacking versus modern PC GPU's.

How much of a difference can the fact that consoles -- especially Nintendo's -- are way more optimized than PCs make graphically? i.e. how would the WiiU with a ~4850 compare to a PC with similar specs?

This thing is a generation above 360. But that wasn't exactly very difficult to accomplish anyway. The PS4/720 will be "two generations or one and a half generations" above their predecessors

antonz

gofreak said:
So I'll ask again for the new page...can be put numbers on this? 10x more, assuming a 'low end' generational leap, or more? 15x? 20x?

(Assuming we're talking about a triple core at, let's say, 3Ghz)
CPU wise Its harder to put a number like that. Assuming 4850 as a lowend considering thats whats been suggested its going to be a Console that is probably operating in the range of 5x the PS360.

Sianos

Considering most of the multiplat footage is just PS3/360 footage, it is too early to tell how strong WiiU will be. Considering the strong CPU, it will most likely have a good graphics card as well. This was just the unveiling: we'll get the real news next year.

It is funny to watch people declare PS3/360 footage worse than PS3/360 footage, though.

USC-fan

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Why would you think it has no fan? Even Wii has a fan.

And while it is still small, it's also 40% larger than Wii.
Maybe it will but its still at 45 nm which is huge at this point.

People are going to be upset thinking this is going to be high powered machine. Xbox 360 s model is already at 45mn and it still pretty big.

Wiiu looks tiny...

edit:
Wii (height): 1.5 in
WiiU: (height) 1.8 in
360 S: (height): 3 in

Wii (width): 6.3 in
WiiU: (width) 6.8 in
360 S: (width): 12 in

Wii (length): 8 in
WiiU: (length) 10.5 in
360 S: (length): 10 in

Wii (volume LxWxH): 75.6 in2
WiiU: (volume LxWxH) 128.5 in2
360 S: (volume LxWxH): 360 in2

Biggzy

Basileus777 said:
It sounds pretty expensive for a Nintendo console. Wouldn't a Power7 and a beefy GPU combo run into heating problems in a console that size?

Thats what i think as well.

Luckyman

Banned

360 is also on 45nm. Expecting this to destroy 360/PS3 in power is just silly.

TL4E

Luckyman said:

Joke post?

its looks super smooth. Almost liek 1080p 60. Its looks really good, but anything that looks like that now, is 720p and 30fps. half the frame at 1/3 the pixels.

Luckyman said:

I don't think it works like that.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
wsippel said:
Power7 isn't Cell. Power7 is what IBM designed because Cell sucked.

That's not answering my question.

I'm sure there must be paper numbers, at least, out there if not benchmarks to give us an idea.

I assume, btw, that architecturally it's not rendered Cell redundant since IBM was planning to mix the two in new designs.

antonz said:
CPU wise Its harder to put a number like that

Well, single precision floating point performance should be available, right? I know it doesn't tell the whole story at all, but it would be a start.

People must have some idea to put a description on its improvement over 360.

Neo C.

Basileus777 said:
Wouldn't a Power7 and a beefy GPU combo run into heating problems in a console that size?
There's a reason why IBM doesn't tell us how fast it's actually clocked.

scy

Luckyman said:

Larger volume is only part of the equation. We need to find the mass to calculate the density and only then will we know just how much power is contained within.

mr_nothin

Banned
Lots of EDRAM means lots of AA!
WiiU will look TONS better than PS3 and 360 if it had 4x-8x AA and 8-16x AF on all games. That alone would make it "much more powerful" than ps3/360 in my head.

AA makes a HUGE difference.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Luckyman said:

lmao oh man

Lots of arm chair analysis here

Matt

mr_nothin said:
WiiU will look TONS better than PS3 and 360 if it had 4x-8x AA and 8-16x AF on all games. That alone would make it "much more powerful" than ps3/360 in my head.

CPU, not GPU...

remnant

Banned
Luckyman said:

Did you get to this by just looking at your xbox 360?

wsippel

Banned
gofreak said:
That's not answering my question.
You're right, it isn't. Sorry. Basically, Power7 is twice as powerful as a Core i7 per transistor at the same clockspeed. We don't know how many transistors this thing has, and we don't know how it's clocked, so that's all I have.

aeolist

Banned
Shalashaska161 said:
To some extent it does. Larger cases generally mean more ability to dissipate heat and that correlates to more power draw.

Although the GPU could be on a smaller process like 32nm. The Watson chip is just the CPU.

Kad5

I'm just gonna leave gaf for the day the blind ignorant stupidity is just amazing. I expected more of this community.

People are just assuming things and downplaying Nintendo just because they want something to bitch about.

The Wii U is an impressive console not only in supposed specs but the controller is actually pretty interesting and I have no idea why people are not being open minded about this.

Maybe i'm overreacting but goddamn.

Zelda Wii U will be awesome in 2016 with the Wii U2, can't say i'll be too into the song that Bono sings at the Keynote though.

edit: wrong thread, too much Wii U

scy said:
Larger volume is only part of the equation. We need to find the mass to calculate the density and only then will we know just how much power is contained within.

Its what is known as mass effect

Eradicate

You know what's interesting, though, considering some of the rumors...

Though we don't know all the actual specs, and they may or may not release them, we have to assume this thing is pretty beefy. Going with that, it was rumored that the console's size would be around the size of an Xbox 360. But, if you look at videos out there that show the console, it is smaller than the controller.

Because they did not focus on the console, as much as the controller, could the unit being used be an early rendition of what to expect, with the remaining power and all of the system being worked on until it is revealed at a later date?

This is just speculation really. Personally, I am very happy with the power that it shows, but this is just something I was considering looking at footage and all.

KrawlMan

Shalashaska161 said:

Of course it is!
XBox (original)
Dimensions: 12.5 × 4 × 10.5 in
Volume: 525 in^3

Gamecube
Dimensions: 5.9 × 6.3 × 4.3 in
Volume: 159.8 in^3

I'm wondering if I should account for the handle in the volume of the Gamecube though for a more accurate calculation.

Jin34

Eradicate said:

Though we don't know all the actual specs, and they may or may not release them, we have to assume this thing is pretty beefy. Going with that, it was rumored that the console's size would be around the size of an Xbox 360. But, if you look at videos out there that show the console, it is smaller than the controller.

Because they did not focus on the console, as much as the controller, could the unit being used be an early rendition of what to expect, with the remaining power and all of the system being worked on until it is revealed at a later date?

This is just speculation really. Personally, I am very happy with the power that it shows, but this is just something I was considering looking at footage and all.

When they said it was the size of the 360 I'm pretty sure that it is the devkit that it's the size of the 360, then that info gets put through the gaming journalist filter and we get "console is same size as 360".

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Kad5 said:
I'm just gonna leave gaf for the day the blind ignorant stupidity is just amazing. I expected more of this community.

I'm telling you man, I swear some of the people on this site suffer from some sort of mental illness! I just make joke posts to fit in but it's just now hitting me that there are actual real life dumbfucks that post here!

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
LOL at the volume argument. How do people even dare to put forth arguments that can be picked apart so easily?

Kad5 said:

People are just assuming things and downplaying Nintendo just because they want something to bitch about.

The Wii U is an impressive console not only in supposed specs but the controller is actually pretty interesting and I have no idea why people are not being open minded about this.

I'm a big Nintendo fan and I've been bitching all day.

best to remain pessimistic

Jin34

Serenade said:
I'm telling you man, I swear some of the people on this site suffer from some sort of mental illness! I just make joke posts to fit in but it's just now hitting me that there are actual real life dumbfucks that post here!

Lets just say I don't even being a mod today.

Raistlin

scitek said:
How much of a difference can the fact that consoles -- especially Nintendo's -- are way more optimized than PCs make graphically? i.e. how would the WiiU with a ~4850 compare to a PC with similar specs?
It certainly can make a big difference.

My biggest concern is if they plan to use another custom design that's prehistoric in terms of shaders. Not only will that hurt it graphically, but will also make porting difficult (and piss of 3rd parties ... again).

Using a part that doesn't necessarily have massive raw performance is fine, if the architecture is modern in terms of shading capabilities.

wsippel said:
Power7 isn't Cell. Power7 is what IBM designed because Cell sucked.
lol not really. CELL doesn't suck, however it is not well-suited for a number of tasks. Power7 is their general purpose solution.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
gofreak said:
Can you elaborate?

The only raw performance metric I can find for it to compare wouldn't suggest that, if we're talking about a 3 or 4-core chip. edit - though i may be comparing apples to oranges, if the power7 numbers are dp

I can certainly see given its features and the amount of memory on chip that it would be much easier to extract a level of performance out of it vs the others, but if comparing tuned code with good utilisation, would it be 'leagues ahead'?
Dual precision isn't necessary in a console, and everything I've found has all been DP. And it's probably safe to assume Nintendo is going to chop the chip up since it only comes in 8 core varieties with binned cores, and that's an extra expense on Nintendo to keep them in there. Once you cut the number of cores down to 2-3 (and reduce the L3 cache in the process), and you reduce the clock speed for lower heat output and power consumption, among other misc. changes, I guess "leagues" is a pretty big exaggeration.

In that case, if both CPUs are running code that's optimized for them, then the Power7 based CPU probably wouldn't be significantly better, Cell would probably give it quite a run for it's money. I'm not that much of a programmer (just PHP right now), but I imagine a Power7-based processor would be easier to work with though.

If there were some SP information somewhere that would be nice, but I didn't even see anything in IBMs PDF files. Again, lots of DP and some unspecified stuff I assume was DP related (because I highly doubt SP and DP performance would be the same, that makes little sense).

Also, if the CPU is a Power7 at 45nm, I seriously doubt this console has a single CPU+GPU on the same die. I'd have guessed they would have gone with a single chip solution, but that may not be the case. Also guessing they would use unified RAM, but I guess we'll see.

Eradicate

Jin34 said:
When they said it was the size of the 360 I'm pretty sure that it is the devkit that it's the size of the 360, then that info gets put through the gaming journalist filter and we get "console is same size as 360".

This is very true. Thank you for replying with a pleasant response. People are acting crazy and foolish lately, so I do appreciate it.

Raistlin said:
It certainly can make a big difference.

My biggest concern is if they plan to use another custom design that's prehistoric in terms of shaders. Not only will that hurt it graphically, but will also make porting difficult (and piss of 3rd parties ... again).

Using a part that doesn't necessarily have massive raw performance is fine, if the architecture is modern in terms of shading capabilities.

I think the fact that they got Epic to make a tech demo for the system is rather telling about what kind of architecture is in the WiiU.

Raistlin

mr_nothin said:

Thread is moving fast ... who said anything about lots of EDRAM? There's GPU info?

scitek

Eradicate said:

I think the rumor was that the dev kits were the size of an Xbox 360, not the console itself.

Raistlin said:
Thread is moving fast ... who said anything about lots of EDRAM? There's GPU info?

EDRAM on the CPU, not GPU.

Top Bottom