• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DDOS attacks - targeting PSN, Spotify, Netflix, Comcast, etc

low-G

Anyone find it scary how this is possible?

If this is, imagine what elseO_O

Also many industrial, commercial, and military systems are connected to the net without adequate or any security. Lots of gas station pump controls, nuclear power plants, etc...

It's ALL security via obscurity. Now that the Mirai botnet can be controlled there's no reason we won't see DDoS attacks like this and far far worse constantly.

NewDust

Some Republican talking head on CNN says that this happened because SOPA didn't pass.

That makes no sense at all. SOPA has nothing to do with internet security. It would have been more likely for such an attack to happen if SOPA DID pass, angering pirates and online activists advocating SOPA results in censorship.

SomTervo

Installing updates on PSN in Maryland!

Edit: WTF WHY IS DOOM GETTING AN 18 GB UPDATE

Ah, megatextures

Can anyone explain to me, in basic terms, what has happened?

Thanks!

A website (really a server but let's call it a site) HAS to look at every connection that comes its way. Each one might be a legit user, like you, or whatever. It has to evaluate whatever you send it. So if people work out how to send billions of bytes of NOTHING they can still freeze up that site while it struggles earnestly to read all the bad requests.

My company (Newscorp) got hit by DDOS today. Guess who had to work service desk pretty much on their own for today?

Fuck these people

Must... resist... making... Fox News joke...

And yeah. the IW beta is screwing up for me, so I'm hoping that this gets hammered out soon.

NewDust

Thanks!

Imagine a post office that is able to handle 20.000 letters a day. Now imagine someone being able to redirect 2 million letters to that poor post office. Obviously they can't handle the amount of letters, and trucks with more letters are blocking the access roads, resulting in traffic jams. The post office sends out a notice to put all deliveries to their office on hold, which in turn clogs up all other offices.

Anyone find it scary how this is possible?

If this is, imagine what elseO_O

As someone who is a network administrator as their day to day job. It's amazing just how complicated the network is, and just ONE break, just one vulnerability can break the entire link.

But with this DNS issue, if everyone knew the IP addresses to the servers that holds the websites they like going to, they would be able to get to the website.

Thanks!

Some others have posted some info about whats happening, but let me tell you why they attacked this specific target.

They attacked a DNS company.

DNS - Domain name system

DNS basically, translates a websites URL into an IP Address. Computers dont know what google.com is, so the computer ask the DNS server, "hey, wtf is google.com???" the DNS server responds "it's 64.233.177.100 you idiot!", computer responds "oooohhhhh, got cha" and then the computer heads on over to google website server, 64.233.177.100, and brings back the webpage you see on your computer.

They attacked the DNS company thats owns those DNS server and took those DNS server offline, so when you type, google.com, the computer says" Hey DNS!! whats google.com???"..........................*No responce from DNS*...................computer says 'hey!! DNS!!! ARE YOU THERE!? WHAT IS GOOGLE.COM!!!???"......................*no responce from DNS*.........................computer says "well shit, sorry user, DNS is not responding and I dont know what google.com is so I cant help you."

But if you typed in 64.233.177.100 instead of google.com in the address bar on your web browser. the computer will take you straight to google.com, since you told the computer, what the DNS server would have told your computer.

So by them attacking the DNS servers, they basically, take away how computers find websites. This is an effective tactic to use if you wanted to disrupt internet services like we all just witnessed because aint NOOOOOObody gonna remember a shit load of strings of numbers.

Elginer

I think I still have my stash out in the woods.

tumblr_m85e8mw00m1rqfhi2o1_250.gif

kenta

Has no PEINS
Also many industrial, commercial, and military systems are connected to the net without adequate or any security. Lots of gas station pump controls, nuclear power plants, etc...

It's ALL security via obscurity. Now that the Mirai botnet can be controlled there's no reason we won't see DDoS attacks like this and far far worse constantly.
One potential way to mitigate it is if ISPs implement BCP38. That would at least help reduce the effectiveness of reflection/amplification

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingress_filtering
http://www.bcp38.info/index.php/Main_Page

Schlorgan

When do we get the Downfall video of Hitler getting BF1 and trying to play it, but not being able to because of the DDOS?

I'd be surprised if it didn't exist already.

A-V-B

Was just downloading a 1.6 gb update (for The Show 16) and went from a steady 2 megs a second to about 10 kbytes a second. Gonna take an eternity to finish at this rate.

I suppose this is part of the attack?

Top Bottom