• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 has been an absurdly fantastic year in gaming

Jan/Feb 2017 has everything that was supposed to make 2016 fantastic for me

This. At least, for the 2nd half of 2016. First half was amazing. But the second half is a huge disappointment since so much good stuff was delayed to early next year (Horizon: Zero Dawn, South Park, Mass Effect 3, etc.). I have no interest in FPS games, so Fall 2016 kinda blows.

You failed to mention PSVR which has been the best thing this year gaming related IMO I know you just listed games themselves, but PSVR has just blown my mind in terms of what games should be like. Honestly I thought it would just be some fancy 3D effects every now and then, but it's just simply jaw dropping.

Javin98

Banned
Yep, pretty fantastic year. I actually had even more games I planned to get earlier this year, but it looks like from now until the end of the year, I'll just settle with Dark Souls 3, FFXV and hopefully Battlefield 1.

For me it was quite dissapointing. (I am a PS4 owner, so can't comment on the Xbox or PC exclusive games)
From the list I have enjoyed:
Overwatch
DOOM

Dissapointed by:
Dark Souls III
Uncharted 4
INSIDE (somewhat)
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Mirror's Edge: Catalyst
NO MAN'S SKY (!!)

No opinion: (haven't played or seen a significant amount of footage)
Ratchet & Clank
Rez Infinite
Battlefield 1
Blood and Wine

So as you can see, I was dissapointed by far more titles than I enjoyed.

Neptonic

I hope that people don't forget The Witness when game of the year stuff starts happening. Kinda got buried by all the great games this year.

reKon

Banned
For me it was quite dissapointing. (I am a PS4 owner, so can't comment on the Xbox or PC exclusive games)
From the list I have enjoyed:
Overwatch
DOOM

Dissapointed by:
Dark Souls III
Uncharted 4
INSIDE (somewhat)
NO MAN'S SKY (!!)

No opinion: (haven't played or seen a significant amount of footage)
Ratchet & Clank
Rez Infinite
Battlefield 1
Blood and Wine

So as you can see, I was dissapointed by far more titles than I enjoyed.

soon you'll quit gaming. All downhill until Half Life 3 in VR

Dinjooh

The Witness, Firewatch, Uncharted 4 and Ratchet have been my highlights this year so far. Now I just need FFXV and TLG to be good to make it perfect.

spliced

With Dark Souls 3 being such a disappointment I can't say I agree, I love greatness and there wasn't any this year. There were some solid games though, it was ok.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Haven't really been blown away this to be honest.

Uncharted 4 was amazing. Bought but didn't play Dark Souls 3 yet. Playing Witcher 3 at the moment.

Can't wait for 2017 though. RDR2 and Mass Effect. Gimme that shit!

Indies kicked a lot of ass this year, so that really contributes a lot to the quality of 2016. 2D fighting and JRPG fans definitely have a lot of great choices.

2016 has a lot of great games, but it doesn't seem like the AAA titles consistently hit hard like they did in 2013.

I personally think it is great, but the lack of English Persona 5 and Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild prevent this year from being truly legendary.

Early 2017 certainly starts strong because of several delayed titles. I think that year will be possibly stronger than the current one, especially if the odd year trend continues.

Illucio

Banned
The last 2 years were delayed to make 2016 great.

2017 is setting up to be an amazing guy year as well. Well the beginning half that is. What is coming out next fall? I feel like everythijf in gaming was working up to fall of 16.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
The last time I felt like I couldn't find time to breathe between all these games was like 2007. it's just hot release after hot release this year. Anyone else overwhelmed?

Overwatch
Blood and Wine
Dark Souls III
Gears of War 4
Battlefield 1
DOOM
Uncharted 4
INSIDE
Forza Horizon 3
XCOM 2
The Witness
Ratchet & Clank
Rez Infinite

With the following yet to come out:

Dark Souls III DLC
Titanfall 2
Infinite Warfare
Skyrim Special Edition
Dishonored 2
The Last Guardian
Watch Dogs 2

JESUS.

Agreed, but you're forgetting psvr.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Blood and Wine, Doom, UC4 and R&C are all great, but spread over an entire year it means there's been a game I care about only approximately every third month. This gen offers me way less than the previous gen did, due to the death of mid-tier games. 2017 doesn't look much better, there's Nier 2, FF XII HD, the new Cthulhu game and hopefully God of War and.. I think that's it.

Greddleok

I love Overwatch, but last year was better for me.

Had like 4 games that would have been GOTY if they were released in separate years. Super Mario Maker, The Witcher 3, Bloodborne and MGSV.

That level of quality in one year is uncommon!

Trace

Banned
2016 has been one of the best years in gaming I've ever seen, the 2017 only looks better.

What a time to be a gamer.

soon you'll quit gaming. All downhill until Half Life 3 in VR

I have given detailed reasoning on these forums as to why most of those titles dissapointed me. And not all did, so I don't "hate all gaming."

How can you get disappointed by Inside?

I feel like the game presented a lot of interesting questions, but no answers at all. I guess it crossed the line to too ambigious for me to get much out of the story.

T.O.P

Banned
-HTC VIVE
-FH3
-Gears4
-INSIDE
-DOOM
-Overwatch
-BF1
-W3 Blood & Wine
-The Turing Test
-Oxenfree

And both FFXV and Dead Rising 4 are just around the corner

Great fuckin year allright

(except for Uncharted 4 being kinda disappointing to me and NMS...well being NMS)

Aters

I feel like the game presented a lot of interesting questions, but no answers at all. I guess it crossed the line to too ambigious for me to get much out of the story.

Totally understand. I expected more from the ending. The games is less ambiguous than Limbo though.

Raybunny

I have to agree just by playing 2 games out of that list:

The Witcher 3 ( played it completely. Blood and Wine was refreshing and good)
Dark Souls III

It's been an okay year. Three or four great games, a couple of really solid titles, and then the rest.

Certainly not a mind blowing year, unless you compare it to 2014.

18-Volt

I couldn't care less about mature shooters and shit but this year indeed has been a great year for my two beloved platforms: 3DS and Vita.

For the first time ever my playtime on 3DS will pass 1000 hour point, thanks to future classics like Fire Emblem Fates, Bravely Second, Monster Hunter Generations, 7th Dragon III, Dragon Quest 7, SMT4A, Yokai Watch 2 and of course Pokémon Moon.

On the Vita front, there were some really big hard hitters like God Eater duology, Attack on Titan, Shiren the Wanderer, Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth, Cold Steel 2, SAO Hollow Realization, World of Final Fantasy, Grand Kingdom, Odin Sphere, DQ Builders and Exist Archive. I actually build myself a Vita backlog, never have thought one they that could be possible.

linko9

Been the worst in a long time for me personally. Dark Souls III is really the only new game I've really enjoyed, and it was kind of underwhelming. Been playing a lot of older games.

TheRed

Yes yes it has. I'm playing new game after new game and they're all amazing. Shit I'm absolutely in love with Battlefield 1 on PC, then I was seeing good things about Shadow Warrior 2 and decided to pick it up and give it a try, that game is awesome too! I mean damn this year has been great for games.

Crixus

Definitely a good year for me, I have already bought 7 games and will also buy Watch Dogs, Dishonored and Civ. Too bad Syberia was delayed, would have been a great winter holidays companion. I get Skyrim for free, otherwise I would have bought that as well.

Rathorial

A weaker year for me with indies, and some big games disappointed me like Mirror's Edge: Catalyst, Uncharted 4, etc. Still more big games this year came out that I actually cared about, and enough turned out good like XCOM2 (launch performance could've been better, but fundamentally a better game than Enemy Unknown imo), DOOM, Deus: Ex: Mankind Divided etc. Mid-tier games have also been good this year like Shadow Warrior 2, Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak, and Offworld Trading Company.

2016 ain't bad, and Dishonored 2 is getting close. Also hoping Titanfall 2's campaign will surprise me with its quality like Doom's did.

Thud

I agree it's a pretty solid list, but haven't played any of those games.

So it's merely okay for me. I'll catch up later anyway.

maxcriden

Paper Mario Color Splash is incredible. Twilight Princess HD was a great port. And, I imagine BOXBOXBOY is awesome too, but I haven't had a chance to play it yet.

Not for me.

I got into Twilight Princess HD, but for completely new games in 2016 it's been a long gap until Doom, then a long gap until Forza Horizon 3. Only now is it starting to pick up with Gears and Battlefield.

[edit] Pardon me. I forgot about Uncharted.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
It just occurred to me that not being an owner of a PS4 or XBO means I have access to none of the games in the OP. Goddamn.

Top Bottom