• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2017 |OT| The Weather's Hot and the Deals are Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anno

Which one of these games do I get?

Firewatch
Hyper Light Drifer
Hollow Knight
Nex Machina

13?! I thought it was 1 per queue. I only got 2 cards.

Firewatch (if you want something super chill and short with a good story) or Hollow Knight (if you want something longer, action-focused and a decent challenge) would be my personal suggestions.

Picked up Pillars, Tyranny, and Killing Floor 2. Think that'll be all for me this sale.

...Oh and, out of curiosity, why is it almost every single 3rd party title (Barring SDN44 recently) Paradox publishes uses Unity? It made me hesitant to touch Pillars or Tyranny due to my... History with Unity performance issues I don't get in much more ambitious Unreal 4 titles.

Since the first Dark Souls is unbelievably not on sale, should my first entry be the second one or would it be money better spent on the third?

Dark Souls 3.

Dark Souls 2 only if you reaaaaly like the series and desperately want more after 100%ing DS1 and 3 + DLCs.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
13?! I thought it was 1 per queue. I only got 2 cards.

I think the 13 is a bug where they hadn't yet flipped the queue over from the last sale event and they granted me all the cards I should have got from the last event. But what I'm curious about is if that somehow reset the number of cards I'm entitled to for this sale or something.

As an example, this is what I see now:
o2AaCB9l.png

Brashnir

Picked up Pillars, Tyranny, and Killing Floor 2. Think that'll be all for me this sale.

...Oh and, out of curiosity, why is it almost every single 3rd party title (Barring SDN44 recently) Paradox publishes uses Unity? It made me hesitant to touch Pillars or Tyranny due to my... History with Unity performance issues I don't get in much more ambitious Unreal 4 titles.

Dark Souls 3.

Dark Souls 2 only if you reaaaaly like the series and desperately want more after 100%ing DS1 and 3 + DLCs.

Pillars has some pretty severe performance issues, (I think it's basically impossible to get better than 45fps in one section of the game) but it's worth playing through them. I have only played the intro to Tyranny, so I'm not really sure if it's much better.

TsuXna

Since the first Dark Souls is unbelievably not on sale, should my first entry be the second one or would it be money better spent on the third?

I have started with the 3rd one. It was so damn addicting and overall is amazing game. I just got the second on. You won't lose anything by playing the 3rd one first its not a heavy story based game.

tmarg

2 is in the current Humble monthly, so that's your best bet if you have to buy something today.

The first one is significantly better than the others, though, so I'd probably just say wait until it goes on sale again, as it happens fairly frequently.

Kadin

I think the 13 is a bug where they hadn't yet flipped the queue over from the last sale event and they granted me all the cards I should have got from the last event. But what I'm curious about is if that somehow reset the number of cards I'm entitled to for this sale or something.
Just so I'm not confused, you guys are talking about trading cards, not stickers? I got 3 sets of stickers for going through discovery queue, looking at my activity feed and then going into the store preferences.

I got 2 random cards but I don't recall what triggered them.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Just so I'm not confused, you guys are talking about trading cards, not stickers? I got 3 sets of stickers for going through discovery queue, looking at my activity feed and then going into the store preferences.

I got 2 random cards but I don't recall what triggered them.

No, I mean trading cards.

Which one of these games do I get?

Firewatch
Hyper Light Drifer
Hollow Knight
Nex Machina

You can't really go wrong with either one. Firewatch if you want some interesting narrative with some gorgeous art style, Hyper Light Drifter if you want a Zelda like game, Hollow Knight if you're looking for a great Metroidvania game, or Nex Machina for that awesome co-op arcade-like gameplay from Housemarque.

It's a toss up between Nex Machina and Hollow Knight for me.

tensuke

3 is better, but if you get 2 get it on humble monthly instead since it's the same price and you'll get 5 or 6 more games with it in a couple weeks.

Gurnlei

Prob just gonna get the Zero Escape trilogy to last the rest of the summer along with XIV. If only I had more time for gaming, so many great deals.

Nabs

Hollow Knight being at #4 makes me happy because 1) it's a great game 2) the dev team knows how to price their game. They didn't have to launch their game at $15 or drop it below $10 for the sale, but here we are. Classic Steam Sale numbers coming up.

Alienfan

Any recommendations for games with good stories? I've played most of the recent critically acclaimed indie games like night in the woods, What Remains of Edith Finch, Firewatch, Inside etc. So something a little less well known.

lazerfox

It's a toss up between Nex Machina and Hollow Knight for me.

Firewatch (if you want something super chill and short with a good story) or Hollow Knight (if you want something longer, action-focused and a decent challenge) would be my personal suggestions.

I think I'll go for Hollow Knight and see for myself if it can keep up to Ori and the Blind Forest.

As an example, this is what I see now:
o2AaCB9l.png

Wow weird. If it still says -1 tomorrow then you probably can't get any more steam cards.

I kinda want Cities: Skylines but the amount of DLC is kinda putting me off. Some of it isn't on sale and they all add up to a hell of a lot.

Are any of them not really worth buying?

preta

As always, I'll vouch for Xanadu Next, a chronically overlooked and underrated dungeon-crawler from the same developer which brought us the Ys and Trails games. Feel free to get more details in the OT.

Seconding this, so much. If you like Falcom's other games (particularly Ys), Metroidvania-like connected worlds (in this case, I'd compare it to Dark Souls 1 or Vagrant Story), action CRPGs like Nox, or non-traditional storytelling (a major element of the story is finding writings from the past and trying to understand their relevance), I'd strongly suggest giving it a look.

Dueck

Banned
I was really hoping the FF "Lightning Trilogy" would be $5 each or less. Alas... I'm not very happy with this sale at all. Basically everything from my wishlist is on sale, but at a price I still won't bother.

rtcn63

Does the screen still freeze every time you hit an enemy in Hollow Knight? Can you turn it off? I hated that while watching streams.

Maddrical

Can't decide: Hollow Knight or Dead Cells? Keep in mind I got stuck on difficulty halfway through Salt and Sanctuary.

They're quite different games, though I haven't put a whole lot of hours into either of them. Dead Cells is a lot like Rogue Legacy; get as far as you can, die, upgrade your stuff a bit, repeat. Hollow Knight is pretty tough, very long, and a fantastic game.

Also Hollow Knight is very much a complete game, Dead Cells is still getting stuff added. If I were to choose now, I'd probably choose Hollow Knight and get Dead Cells at a later date with more content.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
2 questions, anywhere to get steam gift card at less than straight value? Additionally, anyone bought a steam card off gameflip and can vouch for its veracity or naw?

Yeah, this was literally the only thing I was planning on buying during the sale, but of course it's pretty much the only game without a discount.

DS2 gets a lot of hate, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. I can't recommend where to start, since I've only played Bloodborne and DS2, but I can vouch that DS2 (and Bloodborne, of course) is a good game.

If possible, I would play Bloodborne first. But I'm guessing you probably don't have a PS4 since you'd likely have played it by now.

daxy

Can someone explain to me what steam trading cards are even for?

They're to be sold for a tidy profit to people who value showing off jpegs on their Steam profile page, in turn incentivizing you to buy yet more trash to add to your backlog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom