• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, Capcom and the Switch: what's going on exactly?

They released USF2 in the launch window, MH:XX is not coming west, and nothing else is announced.

It just feels like they don't want to invest in the sole portable on the market in the foreseeable future. And yet they asked Nintendo to increase the RAM of the Switch during development...

So what's going on there because I sure haven't got a clue about Capcom's stance.

This is not a thread about Monster Hunter btw, I just don't get they have no games announced on the console.

I posted this in the other Capcom thread (about Capcom and the Switch) but this thread is just as topical:

So I wasn't crazy for saying Capcom wasn't committed to Switch in the other (rumour) thread. E3 announcements have come and gone, and so far Capcom has only announced and released two very quick MT Framework ports on Switch for the entire year.

3DS had Resi Revelations, Mega Man Legends 3, Resi: Mercs 3D, Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition and E.X. Troopers lined up for it from the start - significantly higher investment.

Still, the Worlds rumour from months back suggested that Sony paid to keep MH5/World off Switch. That seems quite believable not because the rest of the rumour was correct, but because MH World is a game with origins that belie its platforms - MT Framework has been dragged back, the game's presentation isn't especially modern, it looks like it could easily be adapted to the Switch.

I'm not sure how to feel about all this, I'm excited for MH World, but it seems that if you want to play the next big MH game with a group of other owners in local multiplayer, with nice buttons and sticks via the Joy-Con, you're stuffed.

Capcom execs definitely haven't been interested in Switch at any rate. Digital Eclipse weren't even approached by them to bring Disney Afternoon Collection to Switch, and the same thing happened with Mega Man Collection 2.

There's a theory that Nintendo asked Capcom to make USFII since it's a good fit for tabletop multiplayer, so if you discount USFII, Capcom's support has been pretty weak. Publishers who have bothered saw gains (Disgaea 5 almost outsold the PS4 version on pre-orders alone, Puyo Tetris is at 60k sales, significantly more than PS4, Lego City sold most on Switch), though.

For now it seems the biggest Switch supporters (major publishers) are Square Enix > Koei Tecmo > Ubisoft > WB Games > Bandai Namco > Konami = EA = Microsoft > Marvelous = Sega = THQ Nordic = Capcom

I don't know, but I'm just glad MH isn't tied to Nintendo anymore. I just cannot play on portables, so glad its finally not looking like a PS2 game and I can jump into the series.

Really weird what Capcom does with the franchise though. Starts on PS2, blows up in Japan on PSP, goes to 3DS exclusively, back to current gen, but not on Switch. They really need to make up their minds.

Mediking

One day people will realize that current day Capcom needs serious restructuring and remembering what a good game is.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Capcom barely have the money to make games anymore, their output in general is very weak. They couldn't even afford to develop Dead Rising 4 or SFV without help from the console makers. It's not a surprise that they didn't devote resources to an unknown quantity like the Switch.

Maybe in a year's time they will give us a RE spinoff.

leehom

. Publishers who have bothered saw gains (Disgaea 5 almost outsold the PS4 version on pre-orders alone, Puyo Tetris is at 60k sales, significantly more than PS4, Lego City sold most on Switch), though.

Games sold @ console launch isn't indicative of the platforms success. Numbers are inflated because there is nothing else to play.

But why?
Seriously, why would they not support Switch? It's clearly on it's way to becoming a commercial success? The audience is "the same old" why not sell us the stuff?

butwhy.gif

Lets just say Capcom probably thought the Switch would sell like shit.

Now it seems like its biting them in the ass.

Also why they made SF2 40 dollars is mind boggling.

From the same report that shared that Capcom requested increased RAM for the Switch we also learnt that Capcom are porting the RE7 engine to the Switch.

Given the RE7 engine is likely the basis of all future projects, like MT before it, step one to releasing games is having the engine they run on compatible.

MH World is just plain odd, though. It's built on MT Framework, which was last used for the cross-gen Resident Evil Revelations 2, but since abandoned. And Capcom ported MT Framework to Switch to get USFII running on it (probably for the First person 3D mode) and MHXX.

Thinking like an exec, the only reason I can think of is Capcom wants to sell MHXX twice and MH World twice to Switch owners, either that or the rumour that Sony paid to keep MH World off Switch.

entremet

Capcom has been pretty rudderless of late. SFV bombed and Marvel 4 looks to be another disaster and they've still haven't learned anything from NRS. Resident Evil 7 was a nice surprise, but the company is rather limping along.

120v

its kind of naive to think capcom is done with MH on nintendo. so it won't get World, so what

either way the system is a quarter year old, capcom is hamstrung with resources. not sure why people expect everybody to pull out all stops with this system so instantaneously

I posted this in the other Capcom thread (about Capcom and the Switch) but this thread is just as topical:

So I wasn't crazy for saying Capcom wasn't committed to Switch in the other (rumour) thread. E3 announcements have come and gone, and so far Capcom has only announced and released two very quick MT Framework ports on Switch for the entire year.

3DS had Resi Revelations, Mega Man Legends 3, Resi: Mercs 3D, Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition and E.X. Troopers lined up for it from the start - significantly higher investment.

Still, the Worlds rumour from months back suggested that Sony paid to keep MH5/World off Switch. That seems quite believable not because the rest of the rumour was correct, but because MH World is a game with origins that belie its platforms - MT Framework has been dragged back, the game's presentation isn't especially modern, it looks like it could easily be adapted to the Switch.

I'm not sure how to feel about all this, I'm excited for MH World, but it seems that if you want to play the next big MH game with a group of other owners in local multiplayer, with nice buttons and sticks via the Joy-Con, you're stuffed.

Capcom execs definitely haven't been interested in Switch at any rate. Digital Eclipse weren't even approached by them to bring Disney Afternoon Collection to Switch, and the same thing happened with Mega Man Collection 2.

There's a theory that Nintendo asked Capcom to make USFII since it's a good fit for tabletop multiplayer, so if you discount USFII, Capcom's support has been pretty weak. Publishers who have bothered saw gains (Disgaea 5 almost outsold the PS4 version on pre-orders alone, Puyo Tetris is at 60k sales, significantly more than PS4, Lego City sold most on Switch), though.

For now it seems the biggest Switch supporters (major publishers) are Square Enix > Koei Tecmo > Ubisoft > WB Games > Bandai Namco > Marvelous = Sega = THQ Nordic = Capcom

What I don't get is that they are leaving easy money on the table by not supporting the hardware in its release year. All seems to indicate that their lazy SF2 port sold well, so why don't they capitalize on that?

Sesha

"sole portable console on the market

3DS is still on the market, and since the beginning of last year Capcom has released/is releasing:

Ace Attorney 6
Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2
Monster Hunter Generations
Monster Hunter Stories
Monster Hunter XX

Switch is a new console. Capcom had few good reasons to jump on the console pre-launch. Also keep in mind that Capcom doesn't announce games early anymore. The days of titles like DmC being announced 2.5 years before release are done. When they have something that's ready to be announced they'll announce it.

Games sold @ console launch isn't indicative of the platforms success. Numbers are inflated because there is nothing else to play.

No they aren't. That's not how sales work. People buy games because they want to play them. Not because they have no other choices. Their other choices are not buy any games which is a valid and often used method. Explain why WiiU software numbers sucked at launch.

There are games to play it's just that they're not all being released at once. Each month at least has 1 or 2 Switch games.

Rncewind

For now it seems the biggest Switch supporters (major publishers) are Square Enix > Koei Tecmo > Ubisoft > WB Games > Bandai Namco > Marvelous = Sega = THQ Nordic = Capcom

Or, we could just take granted what devs and mod on neogaf said: Nintendo was nintendoing again and send out few devkits and most of them too late and major companys are not intressted in halting major production to port engines and then port the games (which is not the same thing btw.) because switch is not the most important plattform under the sun by any stretch

either way the system is a quarter year old, capcom is hamstrung with resources. not sure why people expect everybody to pull out all stops with this system so instantaneously

It's the new console from Nintendo and probably the sole handheld system for years to come, and Capcom, one of the historical names of the Japanese industry has nothing announced on it. It is really strange.

Or, we could just take granted what devs and mod on neogaf said: Nintendo was nintendoing again and send out few devkits and most of them too late and major companys are not intressted in halting major production to port engines and then port the games (which is not the same thing btw.) because switch is not the most important plattform under the sun by any stretch

For Capcom it should be especially in Japan.

13ruce

Banned
The Switch succes probably got them by surprise.
And it's still strange because portables > consoles in Japan.

LordRaptor

MH World is just plain odd, though. It's built on MT Framework, which was last used for the cross-gen Resident Evil Revelations 2, but since abandoned. And Capcom ported MT Framework to Switch to get USFII running on it (probably for the First person 3D mode) and MHXX.

Thinking like an exec, the only reason I can think of is Capcom wants to sell MHXX twice and MH World twice to Switch owners, either that or the rumour that Sony paid to keep MH World off Switch.

I think people are just underestimating the time costs of modern development cycles and overestimating the agility to respond to market changes, especially amongst Japanese publishers.

MH makes sense as previous games are on MT, and its probably a bad idea to be learning a new engine while also learning a new hardware platform; this is the same reason the EA sports titles have only just recently moved to Frostbite on the PS4 and X1.

USF2 was probably greenlit years ago

Rodin

Overreacting much? The Switch is 3 months old and the games Capcom released or announced for other platforms started development way before the console was even a thing. Yes, that includes Monster Hunter World, and while they haven't announced anything, they didn't deny the possibility of a late port either (afaik at least). We also heard that a new, more "classic" game for Switch is being made. Yeah, not having announced a game for a console doesn't mean there aren't games in development for it.

About why the aren't bringing XX to the west (especially considering that the majority of the translation is already done), i don't know. Maybe they don't want any other MH game sharing even a tiny bit of World's spotlight, although that would be a pretty stupid reason imho.

I'd forgotten about the dev kits being sent out late, that's a plausible explanation, though some developers have clearly had the resource/ability to port over their own custom engines and fairly sophisticated games faster than others.

Stuff like the Disney Collection not making it to Switch wouldn't fall under that category given the developer themselves said they weren't asked by Capcom to make a Switch version.

I don't think there's a lack of dev kits, considering how smaller projects at Square Enix from M2 and Tokyo RPG Factory have already been released, and the developer of an iPad game (Astro Duel Deluxe) released a special version of the game on Switch. A developer working for Capcom isn't going to be deprived of a dev kit.

Hex

Banned
Were there guarantees of having content and titles that I can not find?
A video clip and a big pretty spreadsheet of developers pledging titles on a system really holds no weight.
They did the same for WiiU and they did the same for the Wii.
If titles come, that is great but at the end of the day expecting a different result I do not really know what to say.
Time will tell whether the Switch can convert third parties.

And there is a MH XX port in japan so whatever what you try to say dont work

Instant port button to switch

one of the best neogaf things

Considering the game is out in 2018 and even Gust of all developers has a Switch version of Nights of Azure 2 ready, there's no need to bring that up. Saying Capcom's support of Switch is lousy != thinking there's an instant port button.

Kalor

It's only been a couple of months so it's hard to say what their stance is like yet. The 3DS was an exception for Capcom in terms of announced software, most other platforms had around 2 games announced around launch. We're bound to hear about a new Ace Attorney for switch next year at the very least.

And there is a MH XX port in japan so whatever what you try to say dont work

Instant port button to switch

one of the best neogaf things

That's a port of a 3ds game.

Capcom had a lot of games for the 3ds announced. With Switch it gets a old ass game and a port of a 3ds game.

It seems like they didn't have faith in the system. Hopefully that changes since its rocking Japan.

Nothing to do with long-term success, but to do with the port paying off.

Puyo Puyo Tetris at 60k, selling 75% on Switch Vs PS4, obviously paid off for Sega.
Disgaea 5 Complete at 120k+, outselling PS4 on pre-orders alone, obviously paid off for NISA.
Lego City selling the majority of copies on Switch obviously paid off for WB Games Versus a version of the game that sold less for similar effort.

Supporting a format early on guarantees more sales of the game for the reason you mentioned, and it ensures that future work on the format is smoother because you've already made the legwork to ensure processes, tools and engines etc. work now rather than later.

Taker666

The fact that the Disney Afternoon collection and Megaman Legacy 2 collection are not coming to the 3DS or Switch...should speak volumes.

Not even porting NES/SNES games to Nintendo systems ..is a bigger snub than the lack of a western XX translation.

I think people are just underestimating the time costs of modern development cycles and overestimating the agility to respond to market changes, especially amongst Japanese publishers.

MH makes sense as previous games are on MT, and its probably a bad idea to be learning a new engine while also learning a new hardware platform; this is the same reason the EA sports titles have only just recently moved to Frostbite on the PS4 and X1.

USF2 was probably greenlit years ago

You're right, when MH5 was greenlit MT Framework would have been the best engine to start development on (and transition to from MH4) but that wasn't my point. My point is that the game, due next year, is running on MT Framework, which is an engine that Capcom ported to Switch for USF2.

Considering MH World is out in more than 8-9 months' time, it's really not a stretch to expect Capcom to be able to deliver a Switch version of the game when smaller, less able developers like Gust and Omega Force can add Switch versions of their games on their engines, due out much earlier (see: DQ Heroes 1 and 2, released at launch. see: Nights of Azure 2, releasing in August. See: Lego City and Lego Worlds).

For engines that already support the Switch - Unity, UE4 - there basically is a 'port to Switch' button.
For Engines that don't - most publisher in-house engines - there isn't.

To be fair, that's telling of how Capcom isn't serious about Switch.

When Koei Tecmo has built that capability into their engine you can tell that they are serious about the platform:

Koei Tecmo has even more plans for Switch in the future. At a financial results briefing this week, chairman Keiko Erikawa noted that the company’s multiplatform engine has Switch embedded, meaning it can generate PC, PlayStation, Xbox, and Switch titles automatically from a single source.

The true test will come when Capcom starts releasing more Resi 7 engine games. We know that they requested Nintendo to expand the RAM on the Switch's SoC to 4GB (3.25 available to devs).

Top Bottom