• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AV Receivers, HDMI & PS4 Pro 4k / HDR

I'll admit that I am totally ignorant on this entire issue because I haven't been all that interested in the 4K/HDR movement to date. I've been quite happy with my 1080p setup, and like the OP, I just have everything going through my receiver (Pioneer VSX-1022-k).

I'm going back and forth on if the Pro is something that would be worthwhile to me given my setup. If I did buy the Pro but kept my 1080p TV, does this mean I would still need to get a new receiver to pass the video through? Or would I only need a new receiver to pass the video through if I bought a 4K TV?

JohngPR

I'll admit that I am totally ignorant on this entire issue because I haven't been all that interested in the 4K/HDR movement to date. I've been quite happy with my 1080p setup, and like the OP, I just have everything going through my receiver (Pioneer VSX-1022-k).

I'm going back and forth on if the Pro is something that would be worthwhile to me given my setup. If I did buy the Pro but kept my 1080p TV, does this mean I would still need to get a new receiver to pass the video through? Or would I only need a new receiver to pass the video through if I bought a 4K TV?

You wouldn't need to get a new receiver if you are keeping your current TV because your receiver can already passthrough 1080p. You would only need a new receiver if you bought a 4K TV and wanted your PS4 to put out lossless audio still. Also keep in mind that only new receivers also passthrough HDR, and those cost a pretty penny.

Pyrrhus

Your existing 1080p stuff would still work as it has even with the PS4 Pro. You only need a newer receiver if you want to move up to 4K stuff because of HDCP 2.2. It's nothing more than a DRM hoop they make consumers jump through to get 4K, 60fps video.

Your existing 1080p stuff would still work as it has even with the PS4 Pro. You only need a newer receiver if you want to move up to 4K stuff because of HDCP 2.2. It's nothing more than a DRM hoop they make consumers jump through to get 4K, 60fps video.

I don't think pre HDMI 2.0 receivers have enough bandwidth to deliver 4k at 60fps.

You wouldn't need to get a new receiver if you are keeping your current TV because your receiver can already passthrough 1080p. You would only need a new receiver if you bought a 4K TV and wanted your PS4 to put out lossless audio still. Also keep in mind that only new receivers also passthrough HDR, and those cost a pretty penny.

Okay, phew.
Thanks for the confirmation.

SpecX

I have the Onkyo TX-NR646. It is 4k and HDR compatible and it supports HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2. It also has Dolby Atmos and DTS-X support. I really like Onkyo, they make really good receivers.

Nice, just bought this myself 2 months ago when my older receiver started acting up. Can't complain though, I got a solid 4-5 years out of my previous Onkyo, so I was more than willing to get another from this brand.

Pyrrhus

I don't think pre HDMI 2.0 receivers have enough bandwidth to deliver 4k at 60fps.

This is true. However, like I was saying earlier, the extra bandwidth is not enough. Without HDCP 2.2, even though you have the bandwidth the content providers are going to prevent you from being able to view that 4K stuff at full fidelity. HDCP is purely a DRM thing.

ElNino

Saying ARC is limited to Dolby - the PS4 didn't support lossless for games though, did it?
Not sure exactly on formats used, but it supports LPCM (5.1 and 7.1) which is what I use on my Marantz. Those would be uncompressed, but I'm not sure what it does if you select DD or DTS.

CyberChulo

Not sure exactly on formats used, but it supports LPCM (5.1 and 7.1) which is what I use on my Marantz. Those would be uncompressed, but I'm not sure what it does if you select DD or DTS.

Ok. I guess I'll try the ARC method with my current PS4 to see how it goes. I have to order a 35ft HDMI cable to go from the TV to the Onkyo 709.

Kill3r7

That's not my receiver though. Mine is the 523K. The one you listed is only 1080P. I know mine is 4K.

I know the 530K has hdcp 2.2 support but not sure about anything earlier. My best guess is the 523K does not as it was released in 2013. Top of the line receivers in 2014 did not have it.

psychotron

I know the 530K has hdcp 2.2 support but not sure about anything earlier. My best guess is the 523K does not as it was released in 2013. Top of the line receivers in 2014 did not have it.

Good thing it has an optical port then, lol. My wife isn't letting me upgrade receiver and tv at the same time.

Rodin

Yes. It's 5.1 max though, so if eventually you want a 7.1 or Atmos speakers it won't work for you. I had an older 5.1 receiver prior to it and just changing the receiver made my speakers sound better.

Thanks! I'm not interested in 7.1, and i'd miss airplay compared to the more expensive models (it still has bluetooth though), but 259€ seems like a very good price so i can adjust.

Apparently, this receiver is able to passthrough HDR at a reasonable price.

When I was looking around a few months ago, it didn't exist. :p

Yeah that's exactly it. Checking some reviews now, seems like the audio quality is excellent and it's great value for the money.

Oni Jazar

I have the Onkyo TX-NR646. It is 4k and HDR compatible and it supports HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2. It also has Dolby Atmos and DTS-X support. I really like Onkyo, they make really good receivers.

^5 this is my receiver. Oh DTS:X just got added on a recent firmware. gotta git.

Thanks! I'm not interested in 7.1, and i'd miss airplay compared to the more expensive models (it still has bluetooth though), but 259€ seems like a very good price so i can adjust.

Yeah that's exactly it. Checking some reviews now, seems like the audio quality is excellent and it's great value for the money.

Sure. By the way if you pick it up make sure you read page 66 of the manual. The receiver has two 4K modes, mode 1 and mode 2. It's in mode 2 by default but mode 2 doesn't support 4:4:4 or 4:2:2, only mode 1 does. Put it in mode 1 otherwise things will look washed out and you'll get what looks like black crush when those 4k signals are passed. I figured this out because my Samsung 4k UHD player looked less than stellar when the receiver was on mode 1 for 4k media.

Ashtrax

None of the new Sony Receivers have this?

Sorry for the slow reply, I'm in Australia. Only the premium line of Sony Receivers have the high end Audio Modes.

If you think you don't have the need for those modes (which basically adds ceiling channels to a surround setup), and you love the 10xx series, it's still a good buy.

ViciousDS

Banned
If you have a 4k tv, most likely it has an HDMI ARC (audio return channel). This lets you connect the PS4 directly to the TV and route the audio back over a different hdmi to the receiver.

well now.....so I might not have to update my receiver.

Denon S720W owner here. All 5 ports hdmi 2.2. 4K and HDR. Got it under $350 refurbished direct from manufacturer. It's flawless. Connected to and Xbox S and Samsung 65ks8000. No issues.

III-V

Picked up a Denon AVR-X1300W for $499 at Magnolia BB on sale. Price is right on this with Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, HDCP2.2, HDMI 2.0a, and 4K Ultra HD 60Hz video, 4:4:4 Pure Color sub-sampling, High Dynamic Range (HDR) and 21:9 video, 3D, and BT.2020 pass-through support.

Huge upgrade over my old Denon, which I really liked.

Denon S720W owner here. All 5 ports hdmi 2.2. 4K and HDR. Got it under $350 refurbished direct from manufacturer. It's flawless. Connected to and Xbox S and Samsung 65ks8000. No issues.

ok THIS looks like a good buy.

It seems to be the cheapest one i've seen that does all this.

I am honestly thinking about running separates so that I don't have to needlessly upgrade my receiver every 4 years now.

Putty

Ok, so currently I'm not grabbing the pro....cost involved is just too much to justify, HOWEVER ...just as a little game, what all singing all dancing 4K, HDR receivers are out there..say around £500.00 UK of course...

Thanks in advance you lovely people.
Anth

When buying a new receiver do a bit of research to see if it adds any input lag. Also try to look for an online manual that tells you whether you can disable any video processing or overlays as these usually add input lag too.

jfoul

When buying a new receiver do a bit of research to see if it adds any input lag. Also try to look for an online manual that tells you whether you can disable any video processing or overlays as these usually add input lag too.

Any resources to check for passthrough input lag? I'm looking at the Denon AVR-X1300W, AVR-S920W, or probably next years models.

Saberus

I bought 5 months ago.. Yamaha YSP 5600 sound bar, HDMI 2.0a with Dolby Atmos and DTS-X.. guess what.. they won't support HDR.. Yamaha gave me some crap about manufacturing cost..blah..blah.. told me to use the my second HDMI output from the player.. I'm like I'm getting playstation Pro.. only has one output.. they were like.. oh....

Rayme

Shopping around, it hasn't been 100% clear to me which receivers will let me pass HDMI (2.0a, HDCP 2.2, etc) straight through to get (nearly) no added input lag.

My current receiver (which can't do wide color), has a setting per-input for passthrough, but by default adds a lot of delay so that it can mess with the image itself and/or add overlays like sound volume on top. Turning it off makes a world of difference for games.

Swass

If you have the funds, grab the newly released Yamaha RX-A3060, it is one of the best receivers on the market.. it isn't cheap with an msrp of 2,199.95, but can be had for around 1,600 if you search around the web.

If funds are tight you can grab a lower model in this series and still have a pretty stellar piece of equipment.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm in a very similar position as the OP. I have a Denon 2113, it was advertised as '4K compatible' but that was before anyone (even the industry it seems) knew WTF '4K' would actually be.

Anyway. Seriously tired of buying a new receiver every 3-4 years. I'm probably just going to optical out from my PS4 Pro to the receiver and live with the consequences. Other than uncompressed audio from Blu-Rays (which I hardly watch now anyway) I don't think anything else will be adversely affected will it?

I'm at the stage where I'd love to ditch my receiver all together (it takes up too much space), assuming my new TK (likely to be a Samsung KS8000) has enough HDMI ports to satisfy all my connections, anyone recommend any other decent surround sound solutions that maybe don't involve a receiver?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
You'll lose losses audio but as far as I'm aware no games support losses audio this gen unlike last gen.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Any affordable 4K/HDR receivers with twin outputs? Have a Yamaha RX-v767 at the moment and I love the twin HDMI outputs so I can drive a TV and projector without needing an extra splitter.

Karak

Any affordable 4K/HDR receivers with twin outputs? Have a Yamaha RX-v767 at the moment and I love the twin HDMI outputs so I can drive a TV and projector without needing an extra splitter.

I will check my specs I think we just used one but i could be wrong.
I have this sinking feeling 4k splitters are going to be a huge seller this Christmas

Edit Whoops ya it was the avrx2300w

also cheaper is the AVR-X3200W

And those are just the Denons absolutely sure other brands do it.

Henrar

If a new Receiver is necessary, what is the latest version of the one i have that is suitable?

Pics below for clarification:

str-dn1000.jpg

sonyrec2.jpg
Check Sony STR-DN1070. It has dual outputs and 6 HDMI inputs and all of them are 4K/HDR/HDCP2.2 compatible. I have one of these and I'm rather happy with my purchase. No Atmos support though, although my setup and my flat would not support this anyway.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-receiver/

I have the denon listed here (AVR-S710W) and it's great

All six HDMI inputs and the one output are HDMI 2.0- and HDCP 2.2-capable

If only Denon would still it in Europe.

Can anyone recommend a very basic reciever? All I want is 4K / HDR support and a bunch of inputs.

I'll never go beyond a stereo setup, so Atmos and the like is not needed.

What's the price range for something in that basic area?

Madao

how's the input lag on these newer receivers?

do they avoid that with the passthrough of the signal or is there some lag introduced?

Putty

Ya glad to see a couple supporting everything thats needed.

I have tested most of the Denons. Its ok. Not great but it does whats needed.

Currently testing the Denon AVR-S710W 7.2 as we speak.

I'm coming from the Sony 1050 btw...

Gitaroo

how's the input lag on these newer receivers?

do they avoid that with the passthrough of the signal or is there some lag introduced?

yeah, on marantz and denon, there is a pure direct option where the receiver just pick up the audio and pass through whatever video source to the TV. My old pioneer does that too.

Vashetti

Banned
Anyway. Seriously tired of buying a new receiver every 3-4 years. I'm probably just going to optical out from my PS4 Pro to the receiver and live with the consequences. Other than uncompressed audio from Blu-Rays (which I hardly watch now anyway) I don't think anything else will be adversely affected will it?

You'll lose lossless audio from games.

You'll lose losses audio but as far as I'm aware no games support losses audio this gen unlike last gen.

Uh, they all do.

If only Denon would still it in Europe.

Can anyone recommend a very basic reciever? All I want is 4K / HDR support and a bunch of inputs.

I'll never go beyond a stereo setup, so Atmos and the like is not needed.

What's the price range for something in that basic area?

HDR is still pretty new and not many allow HDR passthrough at the moment. Basic receivers can cost around £300-£400 (in the UK at least) so not super cheap but cheap when compared to higher end ones, which can cost upto £2000 or more. Also they sometimes keep newer features to higher end models.

Hopefully HDR becomes normal on all receivers soon and isn't restricted to higher end receivers at the beginning but might be worth waiting a little while at the moment to see what HDR support is like.

Lettuce

FUUUUUUCK!!, i didnt even think of this!!!

So in order to get the full experience of the PS4 PRO your going to need a......

PS4 Pro
4K HDR compatable TV
4K HDR compatable A/V AMP

this setup along would probably cost £1200 at the least........a PC setup would be cheaper!!!

Top Bottom