• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is PC gaming still considered difficult with too much tinkering?

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Just got Ultimate Doom off Steam today... Can't believe that in the current year of our lord 2017 that I have to go into cfg files just to get the game to look and sound halfway decent. Also ran into some fuckery with DOSBox when I tried to exit the game and had to restart my computer since I was just getting a static black screen. Granted, I know this is a very old game, but I still fell like for just about every game I play on PC, I end up spending a significant amount of time just fucking around with settings just so the game can run optimally.

If I didn't know as much as I do about computers, I would definitely understand how some could see PC gaming as a daunting experience.

We also shouldn't underplay the sheer amount of shit console ports that PC still gets to this day *glares at FH3 and Nier Automata*

petran79

Banned
Just got Ultimate Doom off Steam today... Can't believe that in the current year of our lord 2017 that I have to go into cfg files just to get the game to look and sound halfway decent. Also ran into some fuckery with DOSBox when I tried to exit the game and had to restart my computer since I was just getting a static black screen.

Those releases are still using DOSBOX 0.74 from 2010

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Someone I know just got a PC, and he asked me for help setting it up. He couldn't get video to his TV. (Has no other monitor)

Freshmaker: It might be the resolution what kind of TV is it?
Him: It says Energy Star on it.
Freshmaker: ...
Well, does the PC have a graphics card?
Him: I dunno.

So I had to get him to take pictures of the back of his PC so I could diagram where ne needed to plug in his HDMI cable.

Then he tells me that the HDMI doesn't fit.

We went round and round on that forever until I finally got him to remove the plastic shipping tabs there were still in the graphics card.

I haven't heard from him since, so it is either working OK now or he set his house on fire since he had the thing on his fluffy carpet...

Lister

Banned
Someone I know just got a PC, and he asked me for help setting it up. He couldn't get video to his TV. (Has no other monitor)

So I had to get him to take pictures of the back of his PC so I could diagram where ne needed to plug in his HDMI cable.

We went round and round on that forever until I finally got him to remove the plastic shipping tabs there were still in the graphics card.

I haven't heard from him since, so it is either working OK now or he set his house on fire since he had the thing on his fluffy carpet...

Some people should just stick to consoles, or maybe laptops :)

Dommel

Because it still is difficult with too much tinkering. I've got a 4k capable PC hooked up to a 4k OLED and bought Project Cars 2 on PSN because I know it's going to be a pain in the ass otherwise.

I want to sit down behind my wheel and race, not wondering if it's the Nvidia drivers or Windows Creator update fucking up HDR on the TV.

Stuff I can definitely figure out and probably fix (until the next update on whatever side arrives to ruin the fun) but I just can't be bothered after fixing PC problems at work for 8 hours.

It's definitely gotten much better in the last few years and I do buy a decent amount of games on PC yet still more on consoles.

senj

I don't really see a problem bringing older games up, the topic of PC gaming being considered too difficult is not limited to just modern games, and in terms of playing older games it is vastly more difficult than finding the right plug for your TV.

I'll use Fable 3 as a different example, with that being the last mainline entry it remains a game people still want to play. If you've got a 360 or Xbox One it's simple, buy it digitally or put a disc in, it'll play instantly and flawlessly every time - co-op works, DLC is buyable, jobs done.

For PC? Well, it was delisted off Steam and the GFWL store is dead so digital is out of the question. So then you're on to getting a physical copy, except GFWL games had a one time use serial number so you need to track down a sealed boxed copy - good luck. Let's say you get around that and find a copy you can use, got Windows 10? Cool, it uses Securom so that probably won't work. If you do get it installed though, well GFWL is dead so your problems can range from either needing to use an unofficial tool to remove GFWL entirely to error codes that have no solution. And on top of this co-op is inaccessible and DLC cannot be purchased any more.
Yeah, a best case scenario will always compare well against a worse case scenario? I don’t thing that says anything about platforms, honestly?

If I want to play Ultima III: Exodus, I can download it off of Origin or GOG today and it just works, but if I want to play it on a NES I have to buy a NES, potentially resolder on a new connector to fix the blinking issue, find a cart, replace it’s long-dead battery, etc, etc.

We can arbitrarily pick old games that will make PC look easier than consoles or vice-versa. It’s all pretty meaningless. Both have older games that represent worst-case scenarios. Most games that came out the same year as Fable 3 are easily available and work perfectly.

Tagyhag

Lol this is the kind of gaffer that I imagine when someone here says they spend more time getting the game to work than actually playing it.

If I want to play Ultima III: Exodus, I can download it off of Origin or GOG today and it just works, but if I want to play it on a NES I have to buy a NES, potentially resolder on a new connector to fix the blinking issue, find a cart, replace it’s long-dead battery, etc, etc.
I'm sorry but that's just being silly, you're comparing the process needed to get a game working on hardware you already own to specifically buying an old console that doesn't work and repairing it? Talk about comparing apples to oranges.

senj

I'm sorry but that's just being silly, you're comparing the process needed to get a game working on hardware you already own to specifically buying an old console that doesn't work and repairing it? Talk about comparing apples to oranges.
If you already owned Fable 3 on steam, you wouldn’t have to deal with all the withdrawn shenanigans either.

You’re just arbitrarily constructing worst case scenarios for PC, and complaining when someone illustrates that there are worst case scenarios for consoles too

Mohasus

If you do get it installed though, well GFWL is dead so your problems can range from either needing to use an unofficial tool to remove GFWL entirely to error codes that have no solution.

Ah yes, good to see the GFWL is dead myth is alive and well.
GFWL marketplace is dead, GFWL isn't.

Not even sure why you are bringing a delisted game to the discussion. Games were also removed from PSN and XBL and there is nothing you can do to play them now. Tracking down a copy and putting some effort to make it work is better than not even having this option in my opinion.

I don't really see a problem bringing older games up, the topic of PC gaming being considered too difficult is not limited to just modern games, and in terms of playing older games it is vastly more difficult than finding the right plug for your TV.

I'll use Fable 3 as a different example, with that being the last mainline entry it remains a game people still want to play. If you've got a 360 or Xbox One it's simple, buy it digitally or put a disc in, it'll play instantly and flawlessly every time - co-op works, DLC is buyable, jobs done.

For PC? Well, it was delisted off Steam and the GFWL store is dead so digital is out of the question. So then you're on to getting a physical copy, except GFWL games had a one time use serial number so you need to track down a sealed boxed copy - good luck. Let's say you get around that and find a copy you can use, got Windows 10? Cool, it uses Securom so that probably won't work. If you do get it installed though, well GFWL is dead so your problems can range from either needing to use an unofficial tool to remove GFWL entirely to error codes that have no solution. And on top of this co-op is inaccessible and DLC cannot be purchased any more.

Obviously all of that isn't going to apply to the latest and greatest like PUBG or Destiny 2 or whatever, they are one facet of PC gaming that will no doubt be discussed at great length by many others, such that I don't really feel any need to drop my 2 cents in regarding them.

I don't understand why you're bringing Fable 3 up and ignoring the hundreds/ thousands of other, older games that work just fine. And even in your cherry picked scenario there are ways round the issues, you still have options, despite Microsfot's best efforts to fuck them up.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I've had less problems with my PC than I have with my consoles weirdly enough. I imagine I'm just lucky.

Some people are spouting total bullshit in here btw, the reason people buy consoles is simple - The ease of use. You buy one, set it up, install any needed updates, insert game disc or download game - play

If you already owned Fable 3 on steam, you wouldn’t have to deal with all the withdrawn shenanigans either.

You’re just arbitrarily constructing worst case scenarios for PC, and complaining when someone illustrates that there are worst case scenarios for consoles too
I'm comparing a situation where I have a PC, I have an Xbox 360/One, and I want to play Fable 3 but do not own a copy of the game. That situation is neutral.
You're comparing a situation where you want to play Ultima but don't own it, you have a PC, don't have an NES, but also feel the need to specifically buy a broken NES and repair it.

I'm the one constructing arbitrary situations here?

I don't understand why you're bringing Fable 3 up and ignoring the hundreds/ thousands of other, older games that work just fine. And even in your cherry picked scenario there are ways round the issues, you still have options, despite Microsfot's best efforts to fuck them up.
Because that is a game that I wanted to replay this week? Because getting it running on PC is such a nightmare that I gave up? Because it's not a problem on a console? Because the topic is about why PC gaming is considered more difficult than gaming on console?

You know what, forget it. Pretty clear that having a discussion about how difficult it can be to get older games running on PC is not welcome.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Just got Ultimate Doom off Steam today... Can't believe that in the current year of our lord 2017 that I have to go into cfg files just to get the game to look and sound halfway decent. Also ran into some fuckery with DOSBox when I tried to exit the game and had to restart my computer since I was just getting a static black screen. Granted, I know this is a very old game, but I still fell like for just about every game I play on PC, I end up spending a significant amount of time just fucking around with settings just so the game can run optimally.

If I didn't know as much as I do about computers, I would definitely understand how some could see PC gaming as a daunting experience.

We also shouldn't underplay the sheer amount of shit console ports that PC still gets to this day *glares at FH3 and Nier Automata*

lol. You don't even know that you can close the game on task manager or just log off to close the game and are trying to deal with DOSBox.

Is it easier to play Ultimate Doom at 4k on console?

The shit ports that PC gets are still better than the console versions ;)

Paragon

I just bought 3 games on Steam from the Square enix sale
Sleeping Dogs
Kane & Lynch
Kane & Lynch 2

This isn't an isolated thing for me, or something that has just happened to me on my current computer. and plenty of games play fine for me (recently Arkham Origins, Tekken 7 and Dead by Daylight) But a game just downloading and running for me is absolutely hit and miss. compared to on console where I've never had an issue.
I'm not someone that will try and convince you that PC gaming is as simple as console gaming - for the amount of options it gives you, it can't be. While your experience is unfortunate, and I hope you find a solution, I also don't think it's typical.
Some games do have problems, but if it's happening frequently and across many different games, it generally points to hardware issues - whether it's faulty, or has been overclocked without proper testing methods being carried out to ensure that it's stable.

I downloaded all three of these games from Steam to test, and both Sleeping Dogs and Kane & Lynch 2 ran without a hitch. Didn't have to do anything, and Sleeping Dogs supports 21:9 out of the box. None of the crashes you described.
Kane & Lynch 1 required that I drop in a fix for it being a GFWL game, and then it ran without issue. A config tweak later, and it was running in ultrawide on my monitor rather than 16:9. Less than five minutes of work for a game that's 6-8 hours long, and this is on a fully updated version of Windows 10.

I know that "works fine for me" is not really a helpful statement, but it's just never been typical for me that games randomly crash all the time or won't start like that. I'd never game on PC if that was a frequent occurrence.
The main thing I would say is that if you want the least amount of headaches it's generally best to stick with NVIDIA GPUs, but games still shouldn't be crashing all the time.

But you illustrate an issue which some people ignore--all of those games work right now with minimal effort on console. And by minimal, I mean, put in disc/start game, update and play. The fact that you can't universally do that for every PC title, or that you need different logins is ultimately what holds it back from being more widespread here.
It's easy if you have an Xbox One and the games you want to play are on the backwards compatibility list. You can't play PS3 games on PS4 at all.

And aside from minor enhancements from the backwards compatibility, they basically play the same as they did on the 360 at release.
It's typically less than ten minutes of work to get most games up and running to a modern standard (1440p, 4K, ultrawide if possible etc.) in large part thanks to sites like PC Gaming Wiki and WSGF.
In less than five minutes of work I had Kane & Lynch up and running at 3440x1440 @ 100 FPS. Play it on Xbox One and you'll get something like 720p30 upscaled. (but now with 16x AF and triple buffering)
I do understand that some people really don't have an extra 5-10 minutes to spend, or just want to play a game without doing anything else first, but it's generally not a complicated process and once it's done you don't have to do anything more for that game again.

Getting some older games working is a lot more involved, but it's still rare that it's more than ten minutes of work, and the point is that you can get them working on a modern PC - usually with much higher performance and image quality than when they were new.
I can still play games that I bought 25+ years ago on a PC that I built this year.
With consoles, you mostly need to rely on old hardware and converters and the end result is not as good as it was back in the day - or you end up having to buy it again if the game was re-released.
I had a PS3 back in 2006 but if I bought a PS4 today I wouldn't be able to play any of the games I bought for it on PSN - and many of those like Outrun and Afterburner are unlikely to ever see a re-release due to licensing issues.
Since backwards compatibility is not a general-purpose emulator, it's unlikely that Outrun or Afterburner will be added to the Xbox One's backwards compatibility either.

Ah yes, good to see the GFWL is dead myth is alive and well.
GFWL marketplace is dead, GFWL isn't.
Though true, it is a lot more reliable to just bypass GFWL than get it running on Windows 10. Invasive DRM hurting the experience of paying customers as usual.

This thread title reminded me about my visit in the Forza 7 demo thread, where people started posting .ini settings and such.
It's rare, but some ports are completely messed up, and Forza 7 is one of them. It is extremely rare for a "bad port" on PC to end up worse than the console version of a game though.
Forza almost seems like sabotage, since the original Xbox One hardware has no problem running the game locked to 60 FPS, but I would assume that Hanlon's razor applies, since this is the third time they've had that problem and did largely fix things for Horizon 3 in a recent patch.

The thing is, if a console version of a game runs badly, you generally have no recourse. That's just how the game is. I've seen a lot of people complaining about how poorly Observer runs on console recently for example.
Things are changing a bit with the PS4 Pro/XB1X, but generally you don't have the option of revisiting a game a few years later with faster hardware and running it with much better performance and image quality than you had previously, and with consoles the games do still require a patch from developers for full support of the new hardware.

dr_rus

Yeah. "Optimally".

26033871235_9b069e003a_o.jpg

25433294194_55eb82cbb1_o.jpg

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Why do you find it hard to believe that a PC game that released before the Sega Saturn, requires a little tinkering to "look good" on modern hardware?

This thinking baffles me. I picked up the Unreal series knowing full well that I'm going to have to tinker to get the game running at settings that were unheard of at the time.

KtSlime

Why do you find it hard to believe that a PC game that released before the Sega Saturn, requires a little tinkering to "look good" on modern hardware?

This thinking baffles me. I picked up the Unreal series knowing full well that I'm going to have to tinker to get the game running at settings that were unheard of at the time.

I think that it would be nice if Steam could come up with a way to easily share these configuration files within Steam like they do for the controller configurations, that way the developer who doesn't update their software can still have happy customers that won't have to mess with it most of the time if they don't want to.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I recently started Saints Row 4 and it won't recognise my Steam Controller inputs if I make it have mouse look, and it won't recognise my DS4 despite that being fine in 3 (I'm told). I might have to accept my fate and use my 360 controller for it.

PC gaming is far from trouble free, even if I don't see myself dropping it to return to console in the foreseeable future.

Zeneric

I think that it would be nice if Steam could come up with a way to easily share these configuration files within Steam like they do for the controller configurations, that way the developer who doesn't update their software can still have happy customers that won't have to mess with it most of the time if they don't want to.

Maybe that idea'll be implemented in the future.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Because there are two types of people, those who game on PC and those who look for excuses not to.

My PC requires less tinkering than my phone nowadays.

Snoopycat

Banned
I sit on the couch, switch the console on, play the game. I don't want to do anything more than that. Don't want to sit at a desk. Don't want to use a mouse/keyboard. Don't want to waste time on drivers, graphics cards and all the other stuff. Don't want to worry about hackers ruining my game. I'm happy to trade pretty graphics for time and convenience

I sit on the couch, switch the console on, play the game. I don't want to do anything more than that. Don't want to sit at a desk. Don't want to use a mouse/keyboard. Don't want to waste time on drivers, graphics cards and all the other stuff. Don't want to worry about hackers ruining my game. I'm happy to trade pretty graphics for time and convenience
This post lol
You can hook it to your TV. Your can use any controller. Waste time on drivers? Graphic cards? It's a one time installation for graphic cards and drivers installation is as easy as to update your console firmware. You probably loose more time waiting on the console loading times than pc updates. Hackers ruining your game is old wives tale. You can have nice graphics, time and convenience on pc as well you just need to change that mindset

Nothing pushes pc hardware any more either. Want to spend 3,000 on a a machine? Great, now you can play shinier versions of games that someone who spent a 10th of that can play. Who's making the next Crysis?

I remember upgrading to play Doom, then upgrading to play quake, then for UT/Q3, etc. When FarCry 2 came out was the last time I spent money upgrading my PC. FarCry 3 was the last game I finished on PC. I played FarCry 4 on PS4 and enjoyed it way more. I wasn't constantly messing with settings to try and get performance perfect.

I have a friend who games on PC and when he turns on a game for the first time he goes to options and hits 'invert mouse'. That's it, never even looks at the gfx options. As long as the game runs he doesn't care. Think if I was more like him I'd probably still play on PC.

packy34

Why should Valve be responsible for making sure other developer's games are compatible with future hardware?

This stuff isn't that hard to do on your own. "Messing with a cfg file" is literally just replacing a few lines of text.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
Nothing pushes pc hardware any more either. Want to spend 3,000 on a a machine? Great, now you can play shinier versions of games that someone who spent a 10th of that can play. Who's making the next Crysis?

You just answered your own question. The 'shinier' versions of games are where the hardware is being pushed. And, if you have that hardware, and you are enthusiast, the investment very much pays off. As a recent example, the Destiny 2 beta, on PC, at 4K with HDR is an astonishingly superior experience.

You may be satisfied with console performance, and that's fine. For many games, a PS4 will do the job just fine for me, too. But, enthusiast PC gaming is more than just 'shinier' gaming. It is a very different mindset, approach, and experience, with an equivalent price tag and time investment attached.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

lol. You lose more time in your dash and loading screens that i lose tweaking my games :p

I started PC gaming on my friends older brother's PC making Doom and Doom II maps (wadded anyone?). Loved PC gaming all through school and living with roommates. Rebuilding my PC because of installing bad drivers was A-OK for me. Spending hours online in forums and trying everything under the sun to get a game to work was part of the adventure. As time went on though with work and social life I find myself less and less interested in working to get my PC games running.

I believe it was battlefield 2 that made me quit. Xbox 360 just released and so I went across the street to Best buy, purchased one with Oblivion and never looked back. The sheer ease and convenience is enough for me. I understand phone gaming is free on PC, I understand that graphics are better ect. I simply prefer console now.

spanna

I'm definitely of the opinion pc gaming is a pain in thr ass.

90% of my Gaming is on my PS4 but when I get a few hours I will stick a sim on in my pc as sims give me the best gaming experience.
nearly every time I have to tweak or update something. A find example was tonight.

Had a few hours spare so went for ac on rift,
First off . Oculus drivers needed to update. Ok ran that. It didn't seem to do anything.
Restarted home , no sign of steam in home so opened steam vr , which crashed.
Restarted pc.
Got steam vr loaded , opened ac got into a race, no sound or steering input.
Closed game, switched audio output to rift , realised oculus tray tool wasn't auto starting . (That normally switches my audio). Opened that , that needed updating. Ffs.
Back in game had to run through the wheel calibration to get it to work .

Sorted finally. Did about 5 mins of hotlapping and rift disconnected . Arghhh
Restarted game played another 5 mins and the wheel stopped working. Great

Closed game checked / adjusted USB power settings .
Went back into game. Managed 5 more minutes then ran out of time.

Tldr: had 2 hours of pc game time. Managed 15 mins of Gaming and 1hr 45 mins of tinkering and fixing.

You just answered your own question. The 'shinier' versions of games are where the hardware is being pushed. And, if you have that hardware, and you are enthusiast, the investment very much pays off. As a recent example, the Destiny 2 beta, on PC, at 4K with HDR is an astonishingly superior experience.

You may be satisfied with console performance, and that's fine. For many games, a PS4 will do the job just fine for me, too. But, enthusiast PC gaming is more than just 'shinier' gaming. It is a very different mindset, approach, and experience, with an equivalent price tag and time investment attached.

I agree with you.

But I just feel that PC gaming used to offer more than it does now. I just don't feel the time invested is worth it anymore.

This is how I personally feel obviously and realise it's different for everyone.

I remember thinking that I would never convert to pads from M&K but now mouse just feels crap to me. Like I'm just trying to click on a particular pixel instead of shoot a gun or whatever.

I'll definitely get a PC again but probably just a middle of the road one so I can play my old favourites.

I don't want a game to push my hardware, I want my hardware to push the game. Specifically at 144hz.

As for Crysis, fun game. Replayed it recently, it runs like shit still though due to how the game was optimised. I'd say Ghost Recon Wild Lands firmly takes the crown for most demanding game to max out in 2017, without bottlenecking itself on a single CPU core!

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
I agree with you.

But I just feel that PC gaming used to offer more than it does now. I just don't feel the time invested is worth it anymore.

This is how I personally feel obviously and realise it's different for everyone.

I remember thinking that I would never convert to pads from M&K but now mouse just feels crap to me. Like I'm just trying to click on a particular pixel instead of shoot a gun or whatever.

I'll definitely get a PC again but probably just a middle of the road one so I can play my old favourites.

PC gaming offers the same as it always has. A mixture of AAA stuff coming out of the major studios, mid-tier stuff coming out of mid-tier publishers and developers, and weirdo indie stuff made by bedroom coders that spans genius and complete trash.

I use a controller for everything on my PC. I have a 6800k with a 1080ti hooked up to a 4K OLED, running though a surround sound setup. I also have a PS4 hooked up to the same screen. If I will be disadvantaged by playing with a controller, I swap to the PS4. For pretty much everything else, I use an Xbox One controller or a Steam Controller. Divinity OS2 at 4K on a couch with a controller is just an incredible experience.

The problem isn't that PC gaming has changed. You have. Perhaps none of what I'm describing interests you, and that's totally fine. Your time is valuable, and perhaps pursuing an agenda of bleeding edge tech isn't something that you give a shit about. In that case, Sony and Microsoft both offer standardised hardware which is limited in what it can do, but provides a very comfortable, simple experience aimed at 'regular' consumers. If you're more interested in exploring the possibilities of gaming, and have both the time and the budget, PC gaming exists as it always has.

I agree with you.

PC gaming has never offered more than it does now in every respect. Gaming on PC is a sea of options.

I don't want a game to push my hardware, I want my hardware to push the game. Specifically at 144hz.

As for Crysis, fun game. Replayed it recently, it runs like shit still though due to how the game was optimised. I'd say Ghost Recon Wild Lands firmly takes the crown for most demanding game to max out in 2017, without bottlenecking itself on a single CPU core!

I hear you.

But I'd just play it on PS4.

I totally understand the "have to have the best version possible" mindset. I just find i enjoy gaming more since I left it behind.

Over-Run

I adore PC gaming, been playing PC for like 18 years.
There is truth to it though. Things on PC just break sometimes and it can be hard to find out why.
For example, the past month I can't play Battlegrounds because I get a black screen after the intro logo. Can't find any solutions online that work so I'm just out of look for now.
Still love PC though

I moved away from PC gaming earlier this year since it was much cheaper to buy a used console than a new PC. I think most of my issues stemmed from using old hardware (hadn't ever upgraded my PC since I build it in 2011) so my issues may not even be valid anymore on current hardware. That said, whenever someone brings up the "PC doesn't require fiddling" argument, I like to tell my story of Battlefield 3 and 4.

I build my PC in 2011 just to play Battlefield 3. However, upon attempting to play multiplayer, I was getting kicked out of every match I joined with a vague "Punkbuster B" error. I was unable to solve this error for over 3 years, after Battlefield 4 came out. I got that game hoping it wouldn't have the same issue but it still did. So here I am with two games I can't play because of this error. As it turns out, a system monitoring program I was running was being identified as a cheat, and as soon as I closed out of it, the problem went away.

Had I just got the game on a console I'd have spent those years playing Battlefield instead of spending literally dozens of hours troubleshooting. The whole experience really put me off of playing on PC, well that and the high price. In a perfect world, PC is the best, easiest platform to play games on, but computers are too finicky so that to be a reality 100% of the time. I plan to get back into PC gaming in a few years once I finish school and have a steady income and can afford a halfway decent PC (plus maybe then GPUs will be back in stock) so for now, I'll play my games on my Xbox One.

univbee

You can hook it to your TV.

Believe it or not this single step can go weirdly wrong with PC's. Beyond the "wrong HDMI port" problem (using the motherboard's HDMI instead of the graphics card's HDMI) the TV needs to have overscan disabled, which can sometimes require weird steps and that's assuming you know what overscan is in the first place.

Essentially in many scenarios, outputting HDMI to your TV will cut off some of the image on all four sides, which with Windows means you're not going to see the bottom bar or the left options on the Start Menu properly. Consoles deal with this well because the OS is intentionally designed to keep everything in the safe zone, and both the OS and a lot of software have a specific "defining the visible area" feature. On PC you don't have these options and have to figure out how to disable overscan (usually by using the often-ignored "input label" feature to select the "PC" profile or even manually naming the input to "PC" is what you have to do with some TV's).

It's a classic issue for a lot of reasons. It's a little "random" if it happens or not depending on the make/model of the TV and how its inputs are configured. There are usually very few steps and very little time required to fix it and it's an "easy" fix, but there's absolutely no hint or easy indication of what the issue is if you've never heard of overscanning before; Windows has no setting for it and for some people it can be very difficult to articulate the nature of the problem for either asking someone or Googling the problem, and asking someone if they've never seen the issue before (because their configuration lucked out) could spend a very long time fishing through possible solutions and can easily wind up down a rabbit hole of useless fix attempts (uninstall/reinstall drivers, completely nuke/reinstall the OS), especially since those types of "generic" fix suggestions will be the first thing they'll be presented with getting support from most sources.

tl;dr there's a hidden "extra" step which may or may not be required for plugging your PC into a TV that isn't really well-documented anywhere.

Angry Fork

It sometimes does depend on the game and developer. I don't have many problems but there have been more than enough games that made me have to troubleshoot to fix things. I usually like solving computer problems and don't mind trying to figure it out so it's not a big deal to me but for people who don't have the time or don't want to do that it would be a massive pain in the ass.

Having to find a specific .dll if your game won't open, having to change shit in config files just to get high resolution/settings working properly, having to create multiple accounts of shit for no reason (rockstar social club), having to trial and error through in-game settings to figure out what settings kill your fps the most, etc.. Granted most of this applies to older games but you do get an occasional new game that does something annoying and requires troubleshooting or a community mod/fix.

If you have a beast desktop PC with all new parts you're unlikely to run into issues, but if you have older parts, or you're on something like a laptop especially, problems occur more often. The average person really doesn't want to deal with ANY problem (and honestly they shouldn't have to, it should be as easy as watching a movie). People work normal jobs, they want to come home, turn something on, and play it without any risk of them having to work more to figure something out.

You managed to fit every ridiculous excuse about PC gaming into a single post, nicely done.

Top Bottom