• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokkén Tournament DX |OT| A Game So Nice, It Has Croagunk Twice

Would you guys recommend this for a 9 year old girl to play if she won't touch online?

Thinking of getting this for my daughter who like Poke'mon.

My daughter is 6 and she liked the demo a lot. She's not much into video games, but she does love Pokemon a lot so I'm planning on getting this for her to play. So it sounds like it might be a good fit for your situation too.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Boo looks like my Walmart preorder for in store pick up won't arrive till next Thursday. I guess that's what I get for getting it for $43. But still fucking ridiculous that it just shipped earlier today.

How does this game only have a minor performance boost when compared to Wii u version? It could do a lot more than 720p native only.

Grylvak

So I just found in the region map if you press X to go to System Menu there is a "Special Code" option that I don't remember being in the original Pokken on Wii U. I didn't play it much so maybe I just never looked hard enough, but can anyone confirm if that was there in the original and if it did anything? Couldn't find anything on a quick glance at Serebii either.

JoeM86

So I just found in the region map if you press X to go to System Menu there is a "Special Code" option that I don't remember being in the original Pokken on Wii U. I didn't play it much so maybe I just never looked hard enough, but can anyone confirm if that was there in the original and if it did anything? Couldn't find anything on a quick glance at Serebii either.

Wasn't in the original. I noted about it yesterday. No codes have been released yet

The game plays great. Really enjoying it so far and the matches online seem a lot more smooth than the ones I would get on Wii U. Disappointing the 3 on 3 mode isn't playable online.. what is the point of adding it?

Overall I'm trying to decide who I want to pick up from the new roster. Its between Scizor and Decidueye now. Love both the play styles.

YOU GUYS ARE CRAZY

Having locked characters is the worst. Why shold I have to gringo through half the game just to play with a character I like?

I guess that makes sense if you're of those people who only want to play one character in a fighting game, even if you're just playing casually.

Sadly, seems to be a lot of those.

Best gaming memories were unlocking boxing dinosaur, a bear and the final boss in Tekken 2 as a kid.

J@hranimo

Banned
The game plays great. Really enjoying it so far and the matches online seem a lot more smooth than the ones I would get on Wii U. Disappointing the 3 on 3 mode isn't playable online.. what is the point of adding it?

Overall I'm trying to decide who I want to pick up from the new roster. Its between Scizor and Decidueye now. Love both the play styles.

Wha? You can't do Team Battles online? The OT says you can, unless you can only do it with friends. That'd kinda suck if that were the case.

The OP says the story mode is lengthy and grundy, but is it *fun*? I really don’t know anything about fighting games but it’s a genre I really want to learn

The OP says the story mode is lengthy and grundy, but is it *fun*? I really don’t know anything about fighting games but it’s a genre I really want to learn

its pretty decent practice, good for basic mechanics and not terrible for practicing combos. It is however just cpu battle after cpu battle after cpu battle, just divided up in a ranking ladder sort of way

its pretty decent practice, good for basic mechanics and not terrible for practicing combos. It is however just cpu battle after cpu battle after cpu battle, just divided up in a ranking ladder sort of way
Yeah I kind of figured that’d be the structure

I’ll try out the demo and see if it’s worth buying because It’s like $90 here and I’m afraid I’m going to bounce off of it

Gengar has always been a lot smaller in my mind...haha. Like twice the size of a Pikachu, not this giant monster. Haha.

I never played the Wii U game, so this has been pretty neat so far.

Smasher89

From what i saw on the wii u version, the story mode is really really bad, the ai doesnt make any good play except for a few exceptions, and you play through a ton of those battles.
That said, they fixed it by having all characters and assists unlocked from the start(can still get "titles")!

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I guess that makes sense if you're of those people who only want to play one character in a fighting game, even if you're just playing casually.

Sadly, seems to be a lot of those.

Best gaming memories were unlocking boxing dinosaur, a bear and the final boss in Tekken 2 as a kid.

Having to unlock characters for local VS is the worst. It's aggravating if you run tournaments and need all characters available on all stations. It's aggravating if you want to take your game to a friend's but have no easy way of porting save data over. It's aggravating if your save data ever gets wiped for some reason or you have to replace consoles / change accounts / whatever and start all over again.

It's fine to have various cosmetics and extras to unlock, and it's even fine to have character unlocks for strictly single-player modes, but erecting grindy single-player barriers over local multiplayer modes shouldn't be a thing. I'm even fine with how Wii U Pokken did it; IIRC, there were some unlockable characters, but it never mattered for me because my group only ever played in LAN mode (which always has everything unlocked).

Just picked up my copy. Gonna really enjoy getting back into this game, especially with GOAT Decidueye.

I think a huge part of the appeal of this game is that the animations are just so cool and the action is really crazy. The moves draw heavy HEAVY inspiration from the real Pokémon moves they're named after, which makes everything feel like a regular ol' Pokémon battle but with complete control over the Pokémon.

T.O.P

Banned
Gengar has always been a lot smaller in my mind...haha. Like twice the size of a Pikachu, not this giant monster. Haha.

Yup, first time i realized the size of a Gengar was in Go

21687557_10214004509890769_5762497200732313004_n.jpg

Anyway, left my Switch downloading the game at home, gonna dig into it later today :D

RomanceDawn

Man I am seriously digging Empoleon! I'm surprised I haven't faced one yet 20 matches.

I think I'll also go with Machamp again because I just love the feel of big lumbering characters. I also tried Blaziken and I might try him again but I'm just not sure yet.

I faced a Scizor and man his moves look so cool! Maybe i'll try it out.

I have an urge to really get better this time around. I think I went through 5 rounds before I won 1. Now after 20 matches I've got about 13 wins. I'm still not sure how I feel about seeing that win/loss ratio all the time. I know on the Wii U it was really disheartening seeing my ultra long losing streak.

Yup, first time i realized the size of a Gengar was in Go

Anyway, left my Switch downloading the game at home, gonna dig into it later today :D

I've known he's huge for years, I might have seen it in the show or something. But still everytime I see it, like in this or Pokemon Go it confuses me everytime. Haha.

Nintendad

So as I unlock panels I managed to unlock a key too. I don't see the keys any where else and have no idea what they do. Anyone know what they do?

My other question is do I need to go to town to change my Pokémon for League Battles?

From what i saw on the wii u version, the story mode is really really bad, the ai doesnt make any good play except for a few exceptions, and you play through a ton of those battles.
That said, they fixed it by having all characters and assists unlocked from the start(can still get "titles")!

absolutely, i didnt mean to imply that you could get any great fundamentals down. The CPUs dont teach you great habits, the story can help you get real familiar with your character though, which IMO is the first step to being able to play this game decently at all.

Wha? You can't do Team Battles online? The OT says you can, unless you can only do it with friends. That'd kinda suck if that were the case.
I couldn't seem to find any option that allowed me to do it online unfortunately. It's sad because it was one of the modes I was most looking forward to. Maybe they'll patch it in.

As a 3 week work trip comes to a close, this should be waiting for me at home. Make haste-amazon delivery! I vow to not only play Machamp this time. Gonna do my best to actually finish the campaign, too.

BiggNife

I honestly thought you could, but I don't own the game yet. I'll edit that out.

The OP says the story mode is lengthy and grundy, but is it *fun*? I really don't know anything about fighting games but it's a genre I really want to learn

Personally I found it a lot more fun to just play the online mode and learn that way instead of the story mode, because a lot of the AI in the story mode is brain-dead. I know playing online is intimidating, but playing against real people forces you to adapt and actually learn the mechanics.

I'd like to see the DF video for this game to confirm it, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Pokken DX is running at handheld clocks when docked, since there's no resolution bump or increased detail. The handheld mode runs exactly as smooth as the docked mode.

JoeM86

Special T-Shirts for all Pokémo

Male TC2JY22VBQUU
Female J7XEEQLYNDMT

Old Leather Jacket

Male 6GSSALLDM9RL
Female NQLMEMRGX37X

Beats

Darkrai seems like my type of character just from playing the combo tutorial and messing around a bit in training. Think I might switch between it and Gardevoir.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I can see why Croagunk is his own (low) tier, the dude can either be really great or really bad depending on the rolls

there were some bugs with decidueye, eg his air grab was having issues with lucario

they should have just deleted him

Kebiinu

Banned
Oh yeah, i got that, but there's no way to not make the phase switch? it's tiring to always reset with ZR

Naaaaah. I understand why it is, but when you're practicing a combo in dual phase, it gets annoying everytime they get launched into Field, when you just wanna practice a Dual Phase combo.

But the argument, is that it helps you understand how many hits will cause a shift, what attacks cause a shift, and what attacks keep you in dual phase. So if you lock yourself into one phase or the other during training, it might hinder your muscle memory/Pokken play in a real fight online.

Still, as a Sceptile main, I just reset over and over whenever I'm in training, lol.

Top Bottom