• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Magazine Thread of Duckroll's Birthday and a Black Mark on the White Knight

Johann

If a Japanese reviewer calls you out on your simplistic combat, you know you have issues.

:Glares at Assassin's Creed:

It'd be interesting if the situation is a reverse with The Last Remnant with WKC scoring better in the West due to its technical merits.

TreIII

Happy B-Day ducky. Ever since I joined up on this site, you've kept things fun and interesting. So cheers. :D

And LOL at Metal Gear "Touch". If I actually cared about the series, I'd probably be SO MAD right now. :lol

Bebpo

Banned
To understand the WKS score you have to understand that NO rpgs get below a 30 unless they are Idea Factory shit or something. You NEVER see a real budget rpg get below a 30.

xero273 said:
lulz at white knight.

Oh well I played horrible crap like .hack, I'll see how bad this game is.

.Hack games got 31s, 32s. :p

xfactor

Banned
BlazingDarkness said:
does anyone have MGS famitsu thing to confirm? there's usually random fake shit posted around this time

Its true. the scan is out

now the next entry of both mgs and Resident Evil will be on mobile phones

eznark

Banned
duckroll said:
<Famitsu> I have this review here and it's fucking gold, and I'm not going to let it go for fucking nothing!

:lol
So it's Rahm's fault we aren't getting the Layton sequels? Son of a bitch.

kay

Bebpo said:
To understand the WKS score you have to understand that NO rpgs get below a 30 unless they are Idea Factory shit or something. You NEVER see a real budget rpg get below a 30.

.Hack games got 31s, 32s. :p
Monster Hunter (PS2) and Pokemon (GB) apparently got the same score.

Johann said:
If a Japanese reviewer calls you out on your simplistic combat, you know you have issues.

:Glares at Assassin's Creed:

It'd be interesting if the situation is a reverse with The Last Remnant with WKC scoring better in the West due to its technical merits.

What technical merits? Western reviewers will be even less forgiving of anything less than a throrough online implementation.

Given the amount Sony have riding on WKC (it being pretty much their sole JRPG at this point) this is not going to go well for them.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Bebpo, it can't be worse than IU. IU is sooo bad. It's like Saga frontier. Almost broke my will to play RPGs.

Iu is like getting a butt injection of lard.
IU is like being farted on.
IU's Vesplume Tower is so bad that Tartarus from P3 crapped it out.

Lebron

duckroll said:
<Famitsu> I have this review here and it's fucking gold, and I'm not going to let it go for fucking nothing!

and when Famitsu of all people gives your game(in this case a high profile JRPG) a low score, that's a little cause for concern.

WYWY

Paracelsus said:
But Rogue Galaxy got 36/40, and it has an average of 82% on gamerankings. ._.
The Rule to reading Fami scores is as follows:

1) 30 and below - games that they don't care, not advertised, or crapware.

2) 31 and above - the scores and reviews aren't worth anything. Value = NULL.

eznark

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Bebpo, it can't be worse than IU. IU is sooo bad. It's like Saga frontier. Almost broke my will to play RPGs.

I literally had it in my hand, ready to put it in the 360 in celebration of finishing up the semester.

now what?

KTallguy

Banned
WTF they gave the JAPANESE version of Rogue Galaxy a 36!?!?!

WTF WTF
WTF WTF
WTF WTF
WTF WTF
WTF WTF
WTF WTF
WTF WTF
WTF WTF

orz <-- me

For those people who are slow, the above WTF represents the two WTF towers you have to "enjoy" for over 2 hours. What a load of WTF.

duckroll

KTallguy said:
WTF they gave the JAPANESE version of Rogue Galaxy a 36!?!?!

WTF WTF
WTF WTF
WTF WTF
WTF WTF
WTF WTF
WTF WTF
WTF WTF
WTF WTF

orz <-- me

For those people who are slow, the above WTF represents the two WTF towers you have to "enjoy" for over 2 hours. What a load of WTF.

Are you talking about the prison world? Because that's when I had enough of the fucking game. I don't know what it is with these games and terrible huge maze-like dungeons. They're just not fun. FFXII's Pharos and IU in general suffer from similar problems, although not remotely as bad. IU is just plain unfun though.

WYWY

OK OK, one can still hope that the SCE/Level 5 bribe didn't come through...

...or the game has a slow start, and being Fami, the 4 reviewers spent a combined 15 minutes on it...

...or they thought it was a MMO...

:D

Mrbob

White Knight Bombicles: 7/7/8/7
--lots of optional content
--big boss battles
--simplistic combat
--customizable combos
--is basically like every other Level 5 RPG. Sadness befalls the land.
--Online has chat issues and a reviewer "hopes it will be patched in the future"

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit vaderno.gif

Level 5 why??? :(

eznark

Banned
Mrbob said:
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit vaderno.gif

Level 5 why??? :(

you just reminded me, I'm still waiting on MLB08 The Show's "chat issues" to be patched in the future.

Cells kill chat

xfactor

Banned
MGS mobile
- scheduled for release in Spring
- fire gun by sliding the finger on the ipod touch/iphone

white knight
- 30 hours playtime woot

also more information of devil survivor~

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
eznark said:
I literally had it in my hand, ready to put it in the 360 in celebration of finishing up the semester.

now what?
If the beginning of the game doesn't put you off it, you MIGHT be able to beat the game. Or maybe you'll get distracted by a ball of yarn and want to do something more fun and fulfilling.

dinner~dinner~dinner~

Y2Kev said:

::nods head:: I also thought that the battle system in "The Last Remnant" was eerily similar to the "SaGa" series as well... Which didn't bode well for my feelings about the game.

^-^ I'll probably get hands-on with my friends copy when he get's it, I'll reserve my judgment on this game till then.

(As well as reserve my judgment on the reviewers as well... After all they were the ones who gave lovely scores to HAZE and Lair. ::shrugs shoulders::)

Guymelef

xfactor said:
MGS mobile
- scheduled for release in Spring
- fire gun by sliding the finger on the ipod touch/iphone

white knight
- 30 hours playtime woot

also more information of devil survivor~

30?
they said 100 :lol . :(

Mrbob

eznark said:
you just reminded me, I'm still waiting on MLB08 The Show's "chat issues" to be patched in the future.

Cells kill chat

Positive, three more months till the release of MLB 09. Hopefully it will be patched then!

xfactor

Banned
PS zero:
- Easy to control, but the battle pace isn't quite good
- The features is a little underutilized, and the sound is a little soft

Y2Kev said:

Please don't compare Saga Frontier to the piece of shit that is Infinite Undiscovery.

KTallguy

Banned
duckroll said:
Are you talking about the prison world? Because that's when I had enough of the fucking game. I don't know what it is with these games and terrible huge maze-like dungeons. They're just not fun. FFXII's Pharos and IU in general suffer from similar problems, although not remotely as bad. IU is just plain unfun though.

No, I actually slaved through that bullshit.
Now imagine if there are two towers with at least 10 levels each that you have to both ascend and descend in order, with no real breaks for story, each floor having the same textures and designs with a slightly different and confusing layout (which means pausing for the map all of the time).

Then imagine that there are plenty of annoying enemies in this tower. Like I have to switch the gun on my main character to the shield killing gun (by cycling through the menu), just to shoot an enemy's shield off once, then switch back to my regular gun. Also there are enemies where you HAVE to jump and attack them, so it's just X O O O, X O O O, over and over and over because they just stand there and sometimes do an area attack (don't worry, magic or screen killing spells don't work on either of these enemies).

AAAAAGH bad memories.

I was hoping that WKC would be better. The combat looked decent, at least.

KTallguy

Banned
soco said:
so we're 3 full years into this generation. can we call it the generation of the mediocre JRPG yet? ;)

I'm praying to Jeebus that FFXIII and FFvXIII can wash my mouth clean of this horrible mediocre JRPG filth.

And I still do want to play The Last Remnant.

diunxx

So I was watching Transporter 3 and when I come back I open firefox and get a 500 server error on gaf, I was curios about what was causing it but I see now that is just Kojima owning the internet again.

i need some sort of calendar/chart at-a-glance card that:

-fits easily into my wallet
-is color-coded
-shows me which days im supposed to care about famistu scores

they seem to be all over the place with scores, especially this gen. are sales and metacritic numbers following their opinion every time anyway?

Top Bottom