• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brand new Sony Japan Studio game - Panopticon (Trailer up, announcing May 21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaB_NL

74.-Isis-Panopticon.jpg

Shameshameshame they decided to throw in the towel.

I'm also hoping for a Jrpg.

Looks a little more than allright. Some of the themes are overused, but they only stand out bcause of how original and amazing the rest looks.

Whatever this ends up being, at least we don't have to worry about it not being localized since SCEE already trademarked it.

I'd guess it's a PS4 game and that the majority of the trailer (especially the first half) was real-time.

Looks like another monster hunter clone . Also feeling that it will be for the vita.
It'd have to be a lot different from Soul Sacrifice for Sony publishing both to make sense.

Soriku

I thought they were playing the SMT Law theme at the beginning.

Anime character designs...hope it's a JRPG. I thought it looked like God Eater...

duckroll

Whatever this ends up being, at least we don't have to worry about it not being localized since SCEE already trademarked it.

I'd guess it's a PS4 game and that the majority of the trailer (especially the first half) was real-time.

That seems like a pretty low bar, even if the entire trailer is real time, it wouldn't even be that great even for a PS3 game. There are so many awkward animations and the characters are really low detail. Either its a pretty decent looking Vita game, or Japan Studios is really a huge joke in terms of technical prowess.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The game kinda looks like a collaboration between SCEJ and imageepoch or NIS.

Redhood

There will be hell to pay if this ps3. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

either let it be vita or ps4 or both.

ReaperXL7

I dont know if this if for the PS4, I mean I guess it could be but it does not really look like what I think most will expect out of the PS4 unless its a PSN game.

I dont think it looks bad personally, but it would be the worst game we have seen from a visual perspective.

That seems like a pretty low bar, even if the entire trailer is real time, it wouldn't even be that great even for a PS3 game. There are so many awkward animations and the characters are really low detail. Either its a pretty decent looking Vita game, or Japan Studios is really a huge joke in terms of technical prowess.
I'd agree if it didn't look so clean. But if it's PS3, the trailer could just be rendered in-engine and not reflect the actual gameplay IQ.

The geometry looks waaaay too complex for it to be a Vita game, though. I'd rule that out altogether.

Hellraider

8 players instead of 4 make me think of J-RPG and not an action MH-like hunting game.Unless they decided to step up their game and make it an action 8 player co-op game.That would be cool.

Also god eater vibes from the whole trailer.Could easily be a spin off or something from what we saw.

duckroll

It'd have to be a lot different from Soul Sacrifice for Sony publishing both to make sense.

Soul Sacrifice is grittier and more fantasy driven, like Monster Hunter. This looks totally anime and will probably have a famous voice cast and a popular pop theme song. Sony might just be reaching out to different demographics even if the genre is similar.

I was thinking it was PS3 until they got to the fight. The particle effects are way beyond what that console is capable of doing, and the same obviously goes for the Vita. What's shown there is much more similar to the explosions and smoke we've seen in PS4 demo. The monster design is also extremely detailed. So it's either a PS4 game or that's all CG.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood

Dunno man... it kinda looks to good to be on current gen platforms, but it doesn't scream next gen either. This trailer is way to vague to take anything from it, for all we know it's a robo-dating sim.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Soul Sacrifice is grittier and more fantasy driven, like Monster Hunter. This looks totally anime and will probably have a famous voice cast and a popular pop theme song. Sony might just be reaching out to different demographics even if the genre is similar.

And hopefully not be as half assed as Soul Sacrifice was... always loved getting stuck in geometry within the level due to enemy attacks at times.

Im guessing this is going more for the God Eater crowd most def. God Eater had great AI though and quite possibly the best feature about the game.

Soul Sacrifice on the other hand...

duckroll

I was thinking it was PS3 until they got to the fight. The particle effects are way beyond what that console is capable of doing, and the same obviously goes for the Vita. What's shown there is much more similar to the explosions and smoke we've seen in PS4 demo. The monster design is also extremely detailed. So it's either a PS4 game or that's all CG.

But even if the particle effects are reminiscent of PS4 demos, the majority of the graphics simply do not look that great. I think if the trailer is representative of "real time PS4", it'll be seen as a pretty weak effort... which might be the case if it's really an Imageepoch collaboration or something cheap like that. Lol.

I'm going to guess a jRPG where the other people in the game are like Demon's Soul's ghosts things. Or even like pawns from Dragon's Dogma. And the numbers above them are their citizen number you will be given one and then that's how people choose their pawns. Or the countdown timer until their inevitable death and you have to keep reincarnating yourself handing down through generations of a family to stop it all.

The combat looks like Resonance of Fate type stuff.

PS4/PSV Cross-buy.

Looks amazing for a Vita title no?

Very intrigued with the story and the numbers on eveyrones head....time till death maybe?

SCEJ steeping up it seems. Its about time.

Ken

So...8 player Monster Hunter game with God Eater/futuristic dystopian setting where people (robots?) who are closing in on some kind of expiration date are recruited on suicide missions to take down monsters. All monsters will be super huge (to account for larger party size?) with multiple sections to break apart using a mix of conventional weaponry and unconventional powers (red thorn thing). There's a robot too that's made of paper or something. Looked partly organic so maybe defeating monsters can somehow yield more robots?

Also big emphasis on optics. Trailer seems to imply something special about that robot girl so maybe there will be a commander role in game that can see and relay information to other players, similar to operators in ACV.

It's fun to guess.

Was thinking the same thing some effects look to good for PS3 or Vita .

Parakeetman

There will be hell to pay if this ps3. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

either let it be vita or ps4 or both.

Actually it is a smarter business move for it (thats pure speculation) on the PS3 due to the attach rates vs. trying for it to be on a brand new system. Unless they hope to get major amounts of fresh purchases just from the title alone.

Though what would also work is VITA / PS3 or PS4 cross platform play if available. Seeing how Sony is starting to dabble in cross platform play in general lately.

Id be leaning more towards VITA / PS3 rather than VITA / PS4.

And hopefully not be as half assed as Soul Sacrifice was... always loved getting stuck in geometry within the level due to enemy attacks at times.

Im guessing this is going more for the God Eater crowd most def. God Eater had great AI though and quite possibly the best feature about the game.

Soul Sacrifice on the other hand...

Soul Sacrifice is hardly half assed! One of my favorite games of this year.

It might not have been the biggest budget game. But a great unique experience nevertheless. I had way more bugs so called "AAA" game Bioshock Infinite than I did with Soul Sacrifice.

ReaperXL7

Lol this is really dumb, I dont understand why you even bother showing a trailer for a game like this without announcing its platform. All you end up doing is pissing off portions of your fanbase because they pinn their hopes on the wrong platform.

If its for Vita I will be interested, if its not than I wont. We will see what they say come the 21st I guess.

Parakeetman

Soul Sacrifice is hardly half assed! One of my favorite games of this year.

It might not have been the biggest budget game. But a great unique experience nevertheless. I had way more bugs so called "AAA" game Bioshock Infinite than I did with Soul Sacrifice.

Unique? lol hardly.

The only thing I found good about the game was the story, thats about it. Gameplay / mechanics were horrid.

But thats for another thread.

---

If this game does infact allow for more than 4 players at once it will be a huge step up in terms of interest for the hunting genre. That is if its even part of the hunting genre as for the most part we have been stuck with 4 players, though granted its an ARPG, Phantasy Star Online 2 has done pretty well with the latest game and the huge combined free zones for over 4 players running around at once.

Lol this is really dumb, I dont understand why you even bother showing a trailer for a game like this without announcing its platform. All you end up doing is pissing off portions of your fanbase because they pinn their hopes on the wrong platform.

If its for Vita I will be interested, if its not than I wont. We will see what they say come the 21st I guess.

I think you just answered your own question there with that last line of yours. 21st isnt that far away. Either way you can have people pissed off now or later. Might as well drum up as much attention as possible by not announcing which Sony Platform its for with people conversing and guessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom