• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fans: Bring Xenoblade, TLS, Pandora to US | NoA: lol no | NoE: Come here instead!

ivysaur12 said:
BKO is now at #2,931. No idea what it was before then, but probably lower than that.

Wee.

Aww_yeah.JPG

This campaign probably gave BKO more exposure due to people saying how it's also made by Monolith and how good it is. Hell yeah people, start playing excellent RPGs.

Effect

The fallout of this could be bad for Nintendo. They want core gamers with the Wii U. Those are the people that will be early adopters. Especially Nintendo core gamers. A repeat of the Wii is very unlikely. If they do not bother to attract or make these people happy now why will they believe Nintendo will do so when it comes to the Wii U? A negative outcome to this I believe could affect the Wii U launch. No matter what 3rd parties announce people will remember what Nintendo has done. Their word means nothing when one looks at their actions as those are what matter in the end.

I know personally I have not been looking forward to the Wii U now that the E3 hype has died down. My patience with Nintendo has grown very thin when it comes to the console market. Hand held market I feel better because it's so strong in Japan. They have no choice not to screw around there and if they mess up outside of Japan Sony is waiting to fill the void. Even there I'm still getting a Vita just to be sure. Depending how this situation turns out overall the Wii could very well be the last Nintendo console I own. I've had it with them on this front.

I just hope they are thinking about situations like this when it comes to the final months of the Wii. They need to think long and hard in regard to what they want to happen with the Wii U and if they want core gamers to actually believe what they say.

Darryl

Banned
Effect said:
The fallout of this could be bad for Nintendo. They want core gamers with the Wii U. Those are the people that will be early adopters. Especially Nintendo core gamers. A repeat of the Wii is very unlikely. If they do not bother to attract or make these people happy now why will they believe Nintendo will do so when it comes to the Wii U? A negative outcome to this I believe could affect the Wii U launch.

Nintendo could see a Xenoblade release as tainting their 'HD image'. They could just want a fresh start in the US.

Darryl said:
Nintendo could see a Xenoblade release as tainting their 'HD image'. They could just want a fresh start in the US.

Then release these games for the Wii-U at launch. I wouldn't complain. Toss a special collectors edition label on them or something.

Darryl said:

Then they shouldn't be bringing over Fortune Street or Rhythm Heaven either...

They're even bringing over DQ Monsters Joker 2 for the DS goddamn.

Darryl said:

It still gives them no reason to not publish a highly desired title. NoA can very well lose their core fans on release day of the Wii U, thanks to the internet and social media.

If Nintendo truly intended to win their core back, they need to start picking up the slack and localizing highly desired games.

wait so nintendo fans are resorting to "petitioning" (read: begging) the mother company just to keep the remainder of wii's barren lineup from being even more barren?

if this is how nintendo treats its fanbase, i wonder where all the predicitons of Wii U domination next gen comes from
cuz theres that expression that seems appropriate here: "fool me once, shame on you - fool me twice shame on me...."

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
frAntic_Frog said:
wait so nintendo fans are resorting to "petitioning" (read: begging) the mother company just to keep the remainder of wii's barren lineup from being even more barren?

if this is how nintendo treats its fanbase, i wonder where all the predicitons of Wii U domination next gen comes from
cuz theres that expression that seems appropriate here: "fool me once, shame on you - fool me twice shame on me...."

Well, this is why it's being said that the whole situation looks bad for Nintendo. The core audience they are courting with Wii U is revealing how disgruntled they are, and essentially broadcasting the message "Nintendo treats core gamers like second class citizens." That clashes with Nintendo positioning themselves to make a big comeback with core gamers.

The cynical voice might say "Why would Nintendo listen to this, they have billions and shouldn't have to care." Perhaps that's true.

On the other hand, bad press is bad press. This is also not 3 years ago, or 5 years ago. In this day and age, "bad press" can go very far. It can screw up Amazon, twitter, social media, facebook, and essentially generate a geekosphere lynch mob.

Look how much more attention the situation has gotten this time, within 48 hours.

waytofailself

Neo Member
frAntic_Frog said:

Yes it's sad, but at least on the other hand it's far easier to be heard.

pgtl_10

AceBandage said:
Actually, thinking about it, getting Monado so high could be a bad thing.
They'll release the game as Xenoblade, but we'll get all these people on board for Monado.
Uh oh.

Not really. How many people know Monado exist and how many are doing this for the campaign? I figure people who are pre-ordering know what Monado is.

Raul_Atreides

Neo Member
Sometimes I love you people for doing this kind of stuff. This whole situation perfectly articulates my problems with nintendo this generation. Preordered!

pgtl_10

All you people should buy BKO. Even if hate BK buy BKO. You will be in for what could be one of the best RPGs of last generation and a game that should have been a Wii launch title.

Eusis

Yeah, I hated BK1 but I got BKO for cheap, and while I have yet to beat it or even get a large chunk of the way through I've liked it a lot more than the first.

pgtl_10

All right I switched my-pre-order from Zelda: Skyward Sword to Xenoblade. I even suggested the customer rep to put this out front and linked to the GAF thread. I explained that the major reason for the sales was because of the campaign.

Unfortunately he didn't seem to care. Shame because having this on the front page could mean a lot.

pgtl_10

Eusis said:
Yeah, I hated BK1 but I got BKO for cheap, and while I have yet to beat it or even get a large chunk of the way through I've liked it a lot more than the first.

I LOVED BK, but the strange thing is that BKO surpass it in every conceivable way. I only recommend the first for story reasons because I know a lot of people can't stand the battle system but the second I would recommend for any RPG fan.

Alex

I truly believe that the groupthink, anti-wii propaganda that we had for four years straight warped core gamers' perceptions of the Wii

I agree, it has a stigma and I think that it sort of deserves it. Nintendo didn't do much to keep this thing supported and maintained in any reasonable fashion for anyone outside of their now diminishing expanded audience. There are morons who get a kick out of trashing on things and system wars but that happens in accordance with anything, anyone who is on the internet should be well aware of that.

Anyhow, I got mine on the cheap specifically for a small block of games (Monster Hunter 3, Little King's Story & Shiren 3) and got a few extra titles out of it and had some good fun so I don't feel too burned but no one is in the wrong for being a little bothered after the history of this platform. Look at the damn thread we're in now, when it DOES get a block of appealing software we have to beg for it.

Also, as someone who is a fan of rogue-likes, kooky ARPGs, etc and thus dabbles almost entirely in the B and C-tier as far as console games go, I always find the insinuation that the Wii was so amazing dumping ground for niche software to be ridiculous. It has been fairly barren outside of a few really nice titles that got burned by association, even compared to the somewhat diminished HD consoles. (though it'll be interesting to see if the Wii-U and PS3 creating a nice overlap in the future, that would be really nice)

Any nonsense aside though, games like Sin & Punishment, etc are not high sellers, not on anything, and CERTAINLY not as a full retail release. I'd like if Xenoblade got localized and tore ass on the charts, I'd like if the last year of genuinely great PSP software didn't all bomb, I'd like if more of the games I like didn't get auto-6/7'd with no media attention because Bald Space Marine June Edition came out, but that's reality and sometimes it sucks.

Gravijah

pgtl_10 said:
Look at the best selling video games list:

I'm sorry but your hyperlink has me laughing my ass off.

You've gotta host images on a image website, buddy. Try imgur.com or something.

Great to see people actually working together to get NoA's attention.

Can we shoehorn Another Code R and Last Window into this campaign too? :)

Gravijah

pgtl_10 said:
Look at the best selling video games list:

a>

Haha, remove all that extra garbage. Like this:

http://imgur.com/PLG6p.gif[img]

Except, of course, close the other image tag with an /. Whenever you use imgur, just use the direct image link.

Gunloc said:
Great to see people actually working together to get NoA's attention.

Can we shoehorn Another Code R and Last Window into this campaign too? :)

We can pretty much add any game to our "List O' Demands", but Monado/Xenoblade is the only one we can support with our money at the moment.

It would be kind of hilarious and sad (for NOA) if they were actually planning to release these games and they wanted to give NOE their time in the sun first.

waytofailself

Neo Member
ShockingAlberto said:
It would be kind of hilarious and sad (for NOA) if they were actually planning to release these games and they wanted to give NOE their time in the sun first.
If that were the case, why would they stay completely quiet and hide the ball from the general public then? Why not just allow Europe to get the game first? They're separate markets, it's not like there would be interference.

Diffense

Warrior_Keoni said:
It still gives them no reason to not publish a highly desired title. NoA can very well lose their core fans on release day of the Wii U, thanks to the internet and social media.

This whole travesty is the main reason I've soured towards the Wii U.
Heck, Monoloithsoft has been confirmed to be making a Wii U game and I can't even anticipate it.
Because there's a good chance that even if were to get a Wii U I may not be able to play it!
This ruins the whole point of owning a Nintendo machine; you don't buy them for 3rd party exclusives.

So Wii U is definitely not on my list of highly anticipated things.
Yet I own four generations of Nintendo consoles and this is the first time I've felt apathetic towards nintendo's next.
They're probably doing some damage to their core fanbase but exactly how much is hard to gauge.

Even if they were already planning on releasing Xenoblade in NA, this could get them to speed up the release to a late summer/fall date.
Besides, more exposure never hurt a game's sales.

waytofailself said:
If that were the case, why would they stay completely quiet and hide the ball from the general public then? Why not just allow Europe to get the game first? They're separate markets, it's not like there would be interference.
I'm not saying it is the case, just that it would be funny.

I'm pretty sure they have had no intention of releasing it since NOE is handling the entire localization, complete with british voice actors.

If they were American voice actors and/or this was being handled by, say, Treehouse or 8-4, that could change things. But that's not the case.

Diffense

pgtl_10 said:
I LOVED BK, but the strange thing is that BKO surpass it in every conceivable way. I only recommend the first for story reasons because I know a lot of people can't stand the battle system but the second I would recommend for any RPG fan.

I just ordered BKO. I have BK haven't finished it yet.
I think this will motivate me to
beat kalas
since I won't want to start BKO before I'm done with BK.

Apdiddy

I would like to believe that spamming Nintendo's Facebook page/emailing/sending letters/etc. will cause NOA to change their mind, but this is the same company that for years refused to release Mother 3/Earthbound 3 in the US. I don't see them changing no matter how much begging is done. It's entirely possible that NOA has already made plans to release Xenoblade/Last Story/Pandora's Tower in the US.

I put a message on Nintendo's Facebook page begging for those games, but the simple solution if this fails is boycotting Nintendo's products and not buying the 3DS or Wii U.

The Nintendo from NES/SNES and even N64 days is not the same Nintendo today.

teiresias

With NOA blatantly refusing to localize good games - good games that just happen to speak to core gamers - I don't see how anyone interested in such things could actually consider buying a Wii U. It's completely ludicrous. Sure, buy the thing for Mario/Zelda/Whatever, if you want, but don't expect anything else interesting to come to it that won't also either A) Be on a console you already own, or B) be coming to a more powerful next-gen console from MS or Sony. The fact that there's no question something like "The Last Guardian" (hell, any team ICO game) is going to see a US release and these Wii games aren't is ridiculous.

NOA obviously has no interest in supporting anything but the grandmothers and "Maybe" gamers (as opposed to NEVERS!!!) that they were able to attract this generation. That happens to cover only a small sliver of gaming genres and certainly not ambitious Japanese-made RPGs.

I pre-ordered to show my support and will definitely buy it if it's localized, but right now I'm definitely a NO on getting a WiiU on launch day. NOA just doesn't have a good enough track record of bringing over anything that isn't the traditional Nintendo franchises.

BluWacky said:
Localising Xenosaga I&II would have been ridiculous and unlikely. It's possible (perhaps even probable) that Bamco retained the IP on the Xenosaga franchise when they sold Monolithsoft, despite cancelling it. And if there's any company more adept at not releasing localised versions of JRPGs than Nintendo, it's Bamco.

Oh I know all about that. Trust me, I used to campaign for XSI&II pretty heavily. I know not everyone liked it, but I want more Xenosaga, dammit. The first OG Saga was a terrible, terrible tease. A decent RPG, but a terrible tease.

Meanwhile, it's list time:

BK1: Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #8,787 in Video Games (See Top 100 in Video Games)
BKO: Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #3,528 in Video Games (See Top 100 in Video Games)

Xenosaga Episode I: Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #2,110 in Video Games (See Top 100 in Video Games)
#25 in Video Games > PlayStation 2 > Action
#58 in Video Games > PlayStation 2 > All Games

Xenosaga Episdoe II: Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #2,852 in Video Games (See Top 100 in Video Games)
#18 in Video Games > PlayStation 2 > Role-Playing

Xenosaga Episode III: Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #2,829 in Video Games (See Top 100 in Video Games)
#16 in Video Games > PlayStation 2 > Role-Playing

Super Robt Taisen OG Saga: Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #14,011 in Video Games (See Top 100 in Video Games)
#92 in Video Games > Nintendo DS > Role-Playing

Dragon Ball Z Attack of the Saiyans: Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #1,257 in Video Games (See Top 100 in Video Games)
#18 in Video Games > Nintendo DS > Role-Playing

I just had a crazy idea. It might be too much (it probably is), but how about we see what we can do about getting these games to sell out, or get people to start buying them? Last-gen JRPGs might be a hard sell...but if we can increase general brand awareness of this studio, then it might be worth a shot.

Top Bottom