• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | The 'Verse Awakens

atpbx

I said it in another thread a few days ago, horrible people with no understanding of how anything works dancing with joy over the perceived failure of other more successful people.

But instead just displaying to the world as a whole just how ignorant, stupid and spiteful they are.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Reposting for new page.

CIG never talks about their finances. The only peeks we get are the total funding tracker, and by financial filings in the UK which are public by law. (Where that loan news came from, BTW.)

EDIT: Well damn, proven wrong in about 3 minutes. Here's RSI's statement on the loan.

EDIT 2: So this is an advance on tax rebates due F42. Not too unlike a tax refund advance here in the States, but considering the pedigree of Coutts & Co., it'll be an advance without any of the predatory lending policies most tax refund advances shackle you with.

from Ortwin
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...hread/re-uk-tax-rebate-advance-for-foundry-42

"We have noticed the speculations created by a posting on the website of UK’s Company House with respect to Coutt’s security for our UK Tax Rebate advance, and we would like to provide you with the following insight to help prevent some of the misinformation we have seen.

Our UK companies are entitled to a Government Game tax credit rebate which we earn every month on the Squadron 42 development. These rebates are payable by the UK Government in the fall of the next following year when we file our tax returns. Foundry 42 and its parent company Cloud Imperium Games UK Ltd. have elected to partner with Coutts, a highly regarded, very selective, and specialized UK banking institution, to obtain a regular advance against this rebate, which will allow us to avoid converting unnecessarily other currencies into GBP. We obviously incur a significant part of our expenditures in GBP while our collections are mostly in USD and EUR. Given today's low interest rates versus the ongoing and uncertain currency fluctuations, this is simply a smart money management move, which we implemented upon recommendation of our financial advisors.

The collateral granted in connection with this discounting loan is absolutely standard and pertains to our UK operation only, which develops Squadron 42. As a careful review of the security will show and contrary to some irresponsible and misleading reports, the collateral specifically excludes “Star Citizen.” The UK Government rebate entitlement, which is audited and certified by our outside auditors on a quarterly basis, is the prime collateral. Per standard procedure in banking, our UK companies of course stand behind the loan and guarantee repayment which, however, given the reliability of the discounted asset (a UK Government payment) is a formality and nothing else. This security does not affect our UK companies’ ownership and control of their assets. Obviously, the UK Government will not default on its rebate obligations which will be used for repayment, and even then the UK companies have ample assets to repay the loan, even in such an eventuality which is of course unthinkable.

This should clarify the matter. Thank you."

who would have known? (hint: the people with loan/tax experience)

edit: aww too slow ^^

Thanks. New thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1397142

So what did section 4 and 5 of that document actual pertain to - were they what was transfering to the bank for this deal, or were they just collateral for if their payments fall through? I couldn't see anything saying they were the collateral but maybe i was misinterpreting the document as i don't know much about this sort of thing. The collateral is SQ42 only, then?

Man that explanation is totally valid and makes complete sense. Goes to show jumping to conclusions rarely pays off.

Not invested in this project but as someone who works in Finance found it morbidly interesting what people were implying.

Primus

I should clarify, since I'm being quoted heavily now, that calling this sort of an advance on tax rebates owed is not completely correct. I mean, yes, that's what this really boils down to, but the idea of a "tax refund advance" has somewhat of a stigma attached to it due to the predatory lending practices of those agencies that deal in tax refund advance loans.

The real purpose of this funding, as Ganyc pointed out above, is to help with avoiding loss of funds due to exchanges between EUR/USD and GBP. Which is a wise bookkeeping maneuver for any company right now, what with Brexit uncertainty.

duckroll

Interesting how RubberJohnny is only interested in posting in this thread when he has unverified news to use to promote his agenda.

tuxfool

Banned
Interesting how RubberJohnny is only interested in posting in this thread when he has unverified news to use to promote his agenda.

I'll say it clearly. He whines incessantly that we're unfair to him.

The real purpose of this funding, as Ganyc pointed out above, is to help with avoiding loss of funds due to exchanges between EUR/USD and GBP. Which is a wise bookkeeping maneuver for any company right now, what with Brexit uncertainty.
That lede seems somewhat buried, but it seems totally appropriate.

I am shocked. I cou.....

nope.... can't do it

Not surprised. Same group of people. Post around the same time when they feel there is something negative to push agenda, then disappear, until next time. It won't work forever, so I guess they gotta get it all out while they can.

I mean you seem to be sporting a half chub at the idea of shouting down skeptics.

He's overzealous in his negativity, and you (and many others) are overzealous in just labeling the naysayers as part of the Derek Smart conspiracy against this game.

How bogus, you can't be serious? There is no comparison, it would be different if it was actual criticisms. This is/was NOT skepticism, the fact that you think it is. Is hilarious.

There is no "half chub" this shit is just funny to me. Every time it happens, it's always a similar result.

Don't put that onus on me. Like it's my fault.

John Dunbar

correct about everything

that seems a bit unfair since this particular news was posted only half an hour ago. might just be asleep or something.

duckroll

that seems a bit unfair since this particular news was posted only half an hour ago. might just be asleep or something.

About as unfair as him telling people that they're talking nonsense and then refusing to back up anything he says with actual personal experience or knowledge other than insisting that anything he types MUST be right. And then making a thread about it demanding people pay attention to his expert interpretation.

He is free to come back and defend himself though. That's what discussion is all about! :p

It's not just this news specifically though, there's things like the post i made earlier saying how he was ignoring the very thing the posts were about when shown to be wrong - denying an explanation for the loan and claiming the collateral being there meant it was bad, being told why the collateral wasn't bad, and then saying there's no explanation for the loan....which has now turned to be the exact reason he denied. There wouldn't be a problem if it was a reasonable discussion with valid criticism but doing things like that and it going on for so long just suggests looking for reasons to hate on the game.

I'm amazed they can get .25% selling pound futures. That's one hell of a low rate and the GBP is not likely to rise in the next year. Was this deal done before the GE when Couts expected GBP to rise on a Tory landslide? Is Chris Roberts the Jeremy Corbyn of gaming?

I didn't know it was that big a thing. Damn.

Zabojnik

dUlMFSY.png

Daedardus

C..c..can we go back now to discussing the game? I'd love me some update on the female models, has any new footage released in the past few weeks?

Daedardus

There was the snippet snown on AtV a couple of weeks ago, female light armour and explorer flight suit. Don't remember seeing anything else.

https://youtu.be/L4m2nwn5wT8?t=696

Oh yeah, I saw the .webm a few weeks ago and commented on the fact that nobody had hair that ridiculous as the black women. But now I saw the five seconds that happens after it and I'm retracting my statement.

CIG may be wasting money on mansions, sports cars, hookers and weed, but it certainly isn't on decent hairstyling products.

Zabojnik

Oh yeah, I saw the .webm a few weeks ago and commented on the fact that nobody had hair that ridiculous as the black women. But now I saw the five seconds that happens after it and I'm retracting my statement.

CIG may be wasting money on mansions, sports cars, hookers and weed, but it certainly isn't on decent hairstyling products.

Give it time. They can only address so many graphical issues Dictator93 makes them aware of at a time.

About as unfair as him telling people that they're talking nonsense and then refusing to back up anything he says with actual personal experience or knowledge other than insisting that anything he types MUST be right. And then making a thread about it demanding people pay attention to his expert interpretation.

He is free to come back and defend himself though. That's what discussion is all about! :p

RubberJohnny
My opinion is more important and
therefore deserves it's own thread.
(Today, 09:49 AM)

EDIT: I am starting to get MAJOR dejavu, has this happened before?

Shy

I know they've said they won't. But i'd love for them to eventually release the character customisation as a module prior to SQ42's release. So we can mess about with it, then import are setting into the main game when it comes out.

It always takes me around an an hour and forty mins to two hours to make my guy. 😭

tuxfool

Banned
I know they've said they won't. But i'd love for them to eventually release the character customisation as a module prior to SQ42's release. So we can mess about with it, then import are setting into the main game when it comes out.

It always takes me around an an hour and forty mins to two hours to make my guy. 😭

They're planning on providing a simplified character creator in 3.0

I don't know about importing it, but presumably sq42 will use the same system, if not a more robust version.

After seeing the tech vids their character creator is probably what I am most excited about getting my hands on most atm.

I think if they where to launch that I would buy in now just to mess around with it and see how it improves up till launch.

Shy

I'm just hoping, that because i'm a person of colour, the CC doesn't do my dirty like all the other ones do.
After seeing the tech vids their character creator is probably what I am most excited about getting my hands on most atm.
Same
My Spectrum isn't loading. But i'm still hyped.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

I think if they where to launch that I would buy in now just to mess around with it and see how it improves up till launch.

They are indeed working on the character creator for the 3.0 release in August: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

In fact, it looks like it was one of the features that caused 3.0 to be delayed by a month, so clearly it's a priority for CIG to get it into the next release.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I feel you're focusing on semantic minutiae here rather than asking the core question, which is why after taking $150 million of gamers money do they need a(nother) loan?

And now we know, and you were very, very wrong. And annoying in pushing your opinions as fact while telling everyone else they were either stupid, ignorant, or wearing rose colored glasses.

Please be more objective and less Derek Smart like in the future. Thanks.

And now we know, and you were very, very wrong. And annoying in pushing your opinions as fact while telling everyone else they were either stupid, ignorant, or wearing rose colored glasses.

Please be more objective and less Derek Smart like in the future. Thanks.

He hasn't replied to any of the recent posts here showing he was wrong and instead moved into the other thread about the loan and carried on trying to say the loan situation is still bad, doesn't that go more towards the trolling side of things than anything even resembling "civil, evidence-based discussion"? Having criticisms about some aspects of the game (like the delays) are perfectly fine, but this goes far beyond that. There seems to be a few people that will just suddenly appear whenever anything even slightly negative about the game is mentioned, force their own narrative onto it and make out to be a lot worse than it actually is, to the point they'll ignore facts, post misinformation or spout random opinion with no justification while refusing to give anything to back it up. Then when they're shown to be wrong they either change their story or ignore it and disappear again.

Why do so many seem to have an agenda for wanting the game to fail? There was even one person who kept repeating "scams and crooks" yet didn't give any sort of evidence to back up his opinion. I seriously don't understand why it keeps happening. That sort of thing happens so much and it's even the same few people that do it.

Akronis

He hasn't replied to any of the recent posts here showing he was wrong and instead moved into the other thread about the loan and carried on trying to say the loan situation is still bad, doesn't that go more towards the trolling side of things than anything even resembling "civil, evidence-based discussion"? Having criticisms about some aspects of the game (like the delays) are perfectly fine, but this goes far beyond that. There seems to be a few people that will just suddenly appear whenever anything even slightly negative about the game is mentioned, force their own narrative onto it and make out to be a lot worse than it actually is, to the point they'll ignore facts, post misinformation or spout random opinion with no justification while refusing to give anything to back it up. Then when they're shown to be wrong they either change their story or ignore it and disappear again.

Why do so many seem to have an agenda for wanting the game to fail? There was even one person who kept repeating "scams and crooks" yet didn't give any sort of evidence to back up his opinion. I seriously don't understand why it keeps happening. That sort of thing happens so much and it's even the same few people that do it.

Because one thing that everyone loves to do on the internet is be smug when they're proven right. Plenty of people want it to fail so they can have the opportunity to mass shit on everyone who supported it.

Zabojnik

I know that there is no concrete date for SQ42, but do we have a rough timeframe for Ep. 1?

Not really, no. Unless they're much further along than can be deduced (from them mentioning what core tech is still being worked on for S42 on AtV and so on), it'd say even summer 2018 sounds overly optimistic. My educated guess is Q4 2018 at the earliest.

We'll know more after Gamescom / CitizenCon.

Jinroh

I placed a bet SQ42 would be released in 2017, I should have known better.

How can they mess how so much when it comes to its release date? The only thing I find plausible is that they want to incorporate everything in the single player portion of the game, thus always changing their objectives.

I have no problem with that, but at least they should be transparent about it.

They delayed SQ42 again? Wasn't 2017 a set date?

Hmmm. At the very earliest, Christmas this year. But I doubt it. It depends on how much they want to implement. Gas Giants? Suns? Who knows.
Like others said, wait for Gamescom, or Citizen Con. They NEED to nail this for faith and funds. So no half-assed measures. Full-ass only.

Top Bottom