• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

25 minutes of Monster Hunter World footage

J-Skee

I promise I'm only going to say this once, but I hope eventually down the line this ends up having cross-play across all platforms. Would be great to go hunting with all of friends.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know. It looks like a knock-off more than anything. Felt less like MH and more like some generic action game set in a MH world.

How so? Aside from stealth mechanics and more world interaction it looks like the same old MH as always. If anything, I hope they have more differentiating features they haven't shown off yet.

I don't know. It looks like a knock-off more than anything. Felt less like MH and more like some generic action game set in a MH world.
I've never touched a monster hunter so I'll leave that first part alone and let someone else confirm that but it certainly didn't look like any action game I played and I play a lot of them

BumRush

Never played a MH but this looks amazing. What are the greenish / yellowish lights that the MC follows around? Looks a bit distracting...

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Here's hoping they nail the console and especially the PC version. This MH game has been looooooong overdue.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Never played a MH but this looks amazing. What are the greenish / yellowish lights that the MC follows around? Looks a bit distracting...

Those are scout flies, which help you track monsters. I'm pretty sure you can turn them off as well?

edit:beaten

Rncewind

yeah i know right! I was playing monster hunter on ps2 back in the day (was a pain to get online) and then they introduced this energy flashy attacks and called it styles that looks like kingdom hearts combat and they speed up animations from game to game and they introduce prowler mode where you play as a cat with easy mo-

wait...

Zoon

Looks amazing, love the details on the weapons. One thing I noticed is that he changed armor set as a whole, I guess this is a new way of arranging parts or is it that you can only craft the full set now? Also, really glad that zones are still in there.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
He might be just generally unaware of the latest information (though it says it there in the other threads title).

yeah, i don't really follow MH games. just searched for the old thread - " [Up: Effectively MH5]"

my fault, really not trying to kick the console warrior nest

This shit should be bannable at this point.

not the first anime avatar to call for my ban

jimmypython

only a small thing but it would be better if they move the map from lower left to upper right.

still im so in for this game.

Kuro

finally an English Monster Hunter on PC

maybe my friends and I will play this

i'm not too familiar, but i think this spin off is for more Western audiences, and an OG MH5 is probably in the works for Switch

That's the opposite of what the dev said. Its MH5 with a different name to make the game seem less daunting to new players.

Spinx

yeah_eddie_murphy.gif

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
yeah i know right! I was playing monster hunter on ps2 back in the day (was a pain to get online) and then they introduced this energy flashy attacks and called it styles that looks like kingdom hearts combat and they speed up animations from game to game and they introduce prowler mode where you play as a cat with easy mo-

wait...

And it was the shit! Unfortunately Capcom seems to be scaling back on Generations influence...

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
MEATS BACK ON THE MENU, BOYS.

It's been a long 8 years but we've finally arrived. This series can now spread its wings on the powerful hardware it deserves and do fantastically new and interesting things with destructible environments and monsters.

I get why they made the trailer the way it was, but I still think it was a mistake to show the game off like that. I don't know who that trailer was for. It showed lots of stealth, running, use of elaborate environmental traps, and very little combat. It might have done a good job at showing what was new, and made the game look very cinematic. For newcomers, it might have misrepresented the game a bit. For veterans, it almost went out of its way to omit core MH elements, and just played into the hands of those dishonest/misrepresentative rumours. Not only that, but my own gut reaction to the trailer was "if the game doesn't force me to run and use traps, I'm not going to do any of this even once". Running towards the camera is for Indiana Jones and Crash Bandicoot, not for boys and girls whose weapons weigh more than they themselves do.

Either way, this short demo was a way better representation of this game for old and new players alike, and looked great. This is unquestionably the next generation of the franchise.

So it looked like the Rathalos only did the equivalent of 10 charged hits in a weak point from the GS (I saw one swing do 126, Rath did 1088) with his giant slam. That's good, the effort involved in baiting a monster fight seemed equivalent to the damage it put out.

Rncewind

And it was the shit! Unfortunately Capcom seems to be scaling back on Generations influence...

I only play MH1 back on this day because i am true MH fan! This casüls started on 3ds or psp have nothing on me!

but funnsies aside yeah i am sad that they are dialing it so back down, especially stuff like prowler would be a good thing for newcomers

Also sad that underwater combat is not making a comback, yeah it was pretty shit in 3 but they had enough time to balance and polish it to make it work, would fit especially well in MHW

Kyuur

I can clearly tell you've never played a monster hunter game.

:lol: I've put hundreds of hours into Tri and 4 but okay.

How so? Aside from stealth mechanics and more world interaction it looks like the same old MH as always. If anything, I hope they have more differentiating features they haven't shown off yet.

Nevermind the lackluster new mechanics like fireflies and stealth, I didn't see the character in the demo pause once. Not to sharpen, chug a potion, gather. I saw one or two careful dodges in the beginning of the Rathalos fight but it seemed that otherwise it was a bunch of running around the environment and managing to get free hits in because of this and that. Nothing like the calculated gameplay I expect from MH.

I've never touched a monster hunter so I'll leave that first part alone and let someone else confirm that but it certainly didn't look like any action game I played and I play a lot of them

I guess maybe generic action was a bad phrase to use. It feels like a bastardization. Maybe a good example would be Dark Souls 1 -> 3 where a ton of the weight and heft was lost and it really affected the experience for me, leaving the latter a shell of the former (still enjoyable, as I expect this will be, but not the same).

wait...

I haven't played X/Generations so your point is moot to me.

wmlk

This looks fantastic. The ecosystem thing they keep talking about sounds like a buzzword, but when you've got these amazing monsters for this series interacting, it really makes it much more interesting.

Of course. It's new gen so we'e going to have to wait for an expansion for G rank. Hopefully we can download the expansion as DLC instead of being forced to pay full price for the game a second time.

Since this is on consoles and PC now, I really hope they just do DLC instead of a full fledged game that is mostly the same as the previous one. This would be one of the few games I would happily buy DLC for.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
I only play MH1 back on this day because i am true MH fan! This casüls started on 3ds or psp have nothing on me!

but funnsies aside yeah i am sad that they are dialing it so back down, especially stuff like prowler would be a good thing for newcomers

Also sad that underwater combat is not making a comback, yeah it was pretty shit in 3 but they had enough time to balance and polish it to make it work, would fit especially well in MHW

Yeah underwater combat needs redemption from Tri's shit implementation, especially since they added back swimming. Baby steps though

13ruce

Banned
You can destroy enviroment to ur advantage nice + the hookshot is epic hopefully the next Zelda game uses it that way.

I will buy on ps4 and double dip if a Switch version comes.

le.phat

To me, the strength in these games lie in the ability to adapt with a rigid moveset. I don't want capcom to focus on more moves for the player, but they should focus on more moves for the monsters.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

If you were a true Scotsman and had been playing since the PS2, you might be a bit sick of the same formula like the rest of us. No more 5 second chugging and foraging means the game can focus on new and interesting stuff in battle. Palicoes and healing hammer horns have changed the meta on healing pauses for years anyway.

le.phat

Since this is on consoles and PC now, I really hope they just do DLC instead of a full fledged game that is mostly the same as the previous one. This would be one of the few games I would happily buy DLC for.

I have a feeling that the title, specifically the word 'world', points to a games-as-a-service vision, where you buy the stock game, and then continuously build out the vanilla game with DLC, both free and paid.

the detailed greyish graphical style (western appeal?) and gameplay seem a bit at odds with like the sword just kind of clipping into the tail and some kinda janky interactions

Even if I believe you and take this at face value.

The following

I saw one or two careful dodges in the beginning of the Rathalos fight but it seemed that otherwise it was a bunch of running around the environment and managing to get free hits in because of this and that. Nothing like the calculated gameplay I expect from MH.

means you're either blind or being negative for the sake of negativity.

I think this gets the core Monster Hunter fans in the West more or less on board, but that only amounts to 1 million sales at most. Still a very long way to go to reach their 4m target, and I worry that most newcomers aren't going to have the patience to watch a 25 minute fight with one monster, let alone play it.

I loved the item wheel, the much more fluid character movement, the gorgeous graphics and animations, and the modernized gathering/item use. Damage numbers also seem like a great update.

I'm still not fond of the timer, and I think that there will still be a few tweaks related to time, max stamina depletion and sharpness before release. I don't think Capcom is any more dedicated to these features than they were to gathering animations or stationary healing, they just haven't gotten enough feedback from press/focus testers to decide if they're worth keeping yet.

Bottom line for me: This looks like a truly excellent MH game, but I'm still nowhere near convinced that MH can be successful in the West without a few more changes to the meter management and tedium JP players are accustomed to.

As someone who's played a ton of MH, I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. One thing I've noticed though that I think is a bit funny is that it seems like they've actually increased the amount a monster will run away, probably to keep the amount of interactables and natural "traps" in the environment high. If that bothered you a lot in the older versions, chasing one of the flying monster types through these environments is going to be absolute hell lol

Mupod

I don't think underwater is inherently bad but my problem was that it made certain weapons obnoxious to play. Hammering underwater SUCKS. At least HBG returned to its full glory in 3U and I could just pierce shot everything to death in the water. Underwater gunning Plesioths in 2 minutes flat was very cathartic.

If they can't make it fun for everyone then it should stay gone. But it did alter the feel and atmosphere of environments in its own way that I liked. Tri just felt like a world I wanted to live in.

looks amazing - gonna be a lot of fun

that said considering how anthem is sort of similarish - I wish the graphics was a tad better.

crinale

It's like they finally nailed the pre-rendered opening scenes of original MH days on PS2..
It's been long time, very long time...

I think this gets the core Monster Hunter fans in the West more or less on board, but that only amounts to 1 million sales at most. Still a very long way to go to reach their 4m target, and I worry that most newcomers aren't going to have the patience to watch a 25 minute fight with one monster, let alone play it.

I loved the item wheel, the much more fluid character movement, the gorgeous graphics and animations, and the modernized gathering/item use. Damage numbers also seem like a great update.

I'm still not fond of the timer, and I think that there will still be a few tweaks related to time, max stamina depletion and sharpness before release. I don't think Capcom is any more dedicated to these features than they were to gathering animations or stationary healing, they just haven't gotten enough feedback from press/focus testers to decide if they're worth keeping yet.

Bottom line for me: This looks like a truly excellent MH game, but I'm still nowhere near convinced that MH can be successful in the West without a few more changes to the meter management and tedium JP players are accustomed to.

The problem is Capcom's ridiculous sale targets tbh.

I don't think underwater is inherently bad but my problem was that it made certain weapons obnoxious to play. Hammering underwater SUCKS. At least HBG returned to its full glory in 3U and I could just pierce shot everything to death in the water. Underwater gunning Plesioths in 2 minutes flat was very cathartic.

If they can't make it fun for everyone then it should stay gone. But it did alter the feel and atmosphere of environments in its own way that I liked. Tri just felt like a world I wanted to live in.

Disagree with the bolded. Hammering Gobul and Lagi underwater were some of my favorite experiences in Tri.

Underwater superpound so good.

Where the gifs at! Somebody gif the bow gameplay

I giffed a couple things.

Couple of gifs I auto-generated with gfycat:

New GS attack: https://gfycat.com/AdvancedScaryBird

New LS spin dodge after a fade slash, into LS's new thrust->jump->special vertical slash (harder to see due to split screen): https://gfycat.com/MelodicOilyGopher

Also notice that while the LS user is in the air, the demo button prompts in the top right say it has two available follow ups. Regular slash for triangle, special slash for R2.

Rncewind

If you were a true Scotsman and had been playing since the PS2, you might be a bit sick of the same formula like the rest of us. No more 5 second chugging and foraging means the game can focus on new and interesting stuff in battle. Palicoes and healing hammer horns have changed the meta on healing pauses for years anyway.

Flex if you did the stunlock lance cheese on Monhun1

good times

Top Bottom