• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter: World Discussion and Speculation Thread

Shengar

Common sense. Just wait.
This game without any microtransaction would be, business wide, the dumbest decision Capcom made in a decade.
I just can't see it not getting Microtransactions or at least some kind of premium currency. This game was absolutely perfect for this business model before this business model even existed.
This obnoxious shit is what reminds me to not visit MH thread.

So the CE is GS Exclusive apparently. Crap.

There are still some preorders available for it in my store but it's a 50 dollar preorder. It used to be 25 dollars for that price!

I can't afford 50 right now.

KahooTs

I don't really want to watch gameplay videos to not be spoiled.

But, does there look like a Lagombi/Arzuros/Volvidon type of monster? A Ludroth/Lagi? And does the Jyuratodus seem like a Nibelsnarf?

So glad the farm is back. I just didn't really like the menu thing they did the past few entries.

You've always been able to do so.

Technically you can change your skin tone, but I mean that just made you look like a light or dark skinned islander.

Having actual black hunters and such is really cool, especially now that you can hunt without your head piece visible.

Sayad

Technically you can change your skin tone, but I mean that just made you look like a light or dark skinned islander.

Having actual black hunters and such is really cool, especially now that you can hunt without your head piece visible.
Nah, you could definitely make a black hunter, it's just that the graphic wasn't exactly expressive back then:
i3g4JOg.png

Is this mainly a one player game and an optional 4 player multiplayer game?
You can play it as either. The single player experience is great, and so is the multi.

The game is usually balanced around one or two hunters, 4 typically makes most hunts easy.

This obnoxious shit is what reminds me to not visit MH thread.

You can't handle the truth?

How starry-eyed are you? Let's talk again when microtransactions or premium currencies are announced.
Hey, maybe I'm wrong and they don't do stuff like that, which would be the best for all of us, but you can't f'n deny that Monster Grinding uhhhhh I mean Hunter always had the biggest potential for modern day microtransactions.
Look, you already have pre order DLC with items that gives you better stats and abilities.

Players who reserve the game digitally or at retail for either console will also receive the Origin Set Armor and Fair Wind Charm talisman as special pre-order bonuses. Both items "offer improved starting defense and offense stat boosts for the hunter as well as a useful gathering skill."

I don't hope this game has microtransactions and stuff, I'm just realistic, sceptical and wants to discuss the potential of things like that. To deny this could happen and even call it "obnoxious shit" is just stupid fanboying.

Emitan

How starry-eyed are you? Let's talk again when microtransactions or premium currencies are announced.
Hey, maybe I'm wrong and they don't do stuff like that, which would be the best for all of us, but you can't f'n deny that Monster Grinding uhhhhh I mean Hunter always had the biggest potential for modern day microtransactions.
Look, you already have pre order DLC with items that gives you better stats and abilities.

I don't hope this game has microtransactions and stuff, I'm just realistic, sceptical and wants to discuss the potential of things like that. To deny this could happen and even call it "obnoxious shit" is just stupid fanboying.

"This series that is known for having lots of free DLC updates post launch is all of the sudden going to go to microtransaction hell"

Okay.

Kyoufu

You're ignoring the part where most games with microtransactions are purely cosmetic and thus there's no dot to be connected with "Monster Grinding" because you don't grind cosmetic items in MH.

They already have a Monster Hunter product with microtransactions which exists as a GaaS. World is not a GaaS.

Qvoth

there will be microtransactions, i think that much is a given
i very much doubt they will do premium currency bullshit though

Sayad

there will be microtransactions, i think that much is a given
i very much doubt they will do premium currency bullshit though
This much is known, they've already announced it actually too with "cosmetic samurai armor and premium emotes". Nothing like what Edge is suggesting though, yea.

Kyoufu

Pre-order bonuses =/= microtransactions. Literally every AAA console release has pre-order bonuses. Not all of them have microtransactions.

Sayad

Pre-order bonuses =/= microtransactions. Literally every AAA console release has pre-order bonuses. Not all of them have microtransactions.
I'm not referring to pre-order bonuses themselves though, but that they said they'll sell those items separately after launch, and those items being emotes and cosmetic armor sets do pass as microtransactions, which are basically mini DLCs!

Beside, I doubt that they created a system in place for cosmetic armors that have no effect on the actual armor you're wearing just for a single pre-order set, there'll probably be more of that. Same thing for premium emotes.

Kyoufu

I'm not referring to pre-order bonuses themselves though, but that they said they'll sell those items separately after launch, and those items being emotes and cosmetic armor sets do pass as microtransactions, which are basically mini DLCs!

Beside, I doubt that they created a system in place for cosmetic armors that have no effect on the actual armor you're wearing just for a single pre-order set, there'll probably be more of that. Same thing for premium emotes.

Which still wouldn't be what Retro Edge is adamantly suggesting. Cosmetics would be fine. Carves? Yeah, no. Not happening.

Calling your own opinion the truth and declaring your own view as realistic and opposing views as fanboying is indeed obnoxious shit.

Raide

I'm dubious. This game looks too good. It all sounds too perfect.

I'm scared Capcom will find a way to fuck it up :(

Potentially it is however Capcom do the DLC and micro transactions. I don't mind paid for cosmetics, as long as there is some in game way of getting them. Also, I think World would suit a season pass style of DLC.

My main concern is if not enough fans buy into the game and Capcom move back to handheld only. WORLD could be a major shift in the series, for the better.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Never watched or played an MH game but im currently watching the video listed below and I have a few questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNfK-YqLUbU

1. Is the Palico 1 character that's with you optional in regards to being by your side or required?

2. Are there any preset characters you can choose from or are you required to create a character?

3. I noticed a 25 minute time limit at the start of the mission. Is every mission timed or is it just certain missions?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The Dink

Never watched or played an MH game but im currently watching the video listed below and I have a few questions.

1. Is the Palico 1 character that's with you optional in regards to being by your side or required?

2. Are there any preset characters you can choose from or are you required to create a character?

3. I noticed a 25 minute time limit at the start of the mission. Is every mission timed or is it just certain missions?

1) In the past the palicoes/side characters have always been optional so I don't see why that would change now.
2) There are presets so no need to worry that you'll be stuck creating a character for hours if you just want to get into it.
3) I know you can explore the environments without a time limit in a kind of free mode if you want, but missions have always had a time limit in the past. Not sure if that's carrying over but I would wager yes. You can always free roam the areas if you want it looks like though.

Hybris

1. Optional. I have played without them for a long time now.
2. There are presets
3. All missions are timed, usually 50 minutes, some 35 minute. I'm thinking the 25 minute stuff is for the demo purposes. There is a free hunt mode in this one that will not have a time limit though.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
1) In the past the palicoes/side characters have always been optional so I don't see why that would change now.
2) There are presets so no need to worry that you'll be stuck creating a character for hours if you just want to get into it.
3) I know you can explore the environments without a time limit in a kind of free mode if you want, but missions have always had a time limit in the past. Not sure if that's carrying over but I would wager yes. You can always free roam the areas if you want it looks like though.

1. Optional. I have played without them for a long time now.
2. There are presets
3. All missions are timed, usually 50 minutes, some 35 minute. I'm thinking the 25 minute stuff is for the demo purposes. There is a free hunt mode in this one that will not have a time limit though.

Thank you to both of you for the information. Appreciate it.

I have one follow up question regarding selecting a preset character - do the preset characters talk or are you basically a silent protagonist throughout the game? Thanks.

mrsmr2

Weapons Trees. In game. What is this madness?

Next, I'm going to find out I don't need a spreadsheet to work out what I need for the next armour set :)

Hybris

Thank you to both of you for the information. Appreciate it.

I have one follow up question regarding selecting a preset character - do the preset characters talk or are you basically a silent protagonist throughout the game? Thanks.

Past games you have been totally silent and though there is a stronger story focus in this game, I haven't seen any promotional material where your character speaks. I think we can assume silent protagonist.

wbacon

Capcom USA
Weapons Trees. In game. What is this madness?

Next, I'm going to find out I don't need a spreadsheet to work out what I need for the next armour set :)

QoL improvement for both experienced players and newcomers is one of the key pillars for the project. Thrilled to hear positive feedback!

Eolz

QoL improvement for both experienced players and newcomers is one of the key pillars for the project. Thrilled to hear positive feedback!

Weapon trees and similars is definitely a QOL improvement that was needed, and continues in the right way that 4U pushed yeah.
Some other things don't appear like improvements yet, but the UI definitely seems better as a whole, even if it seems sometimes a bit bland in terms of style.

Doombear

It seems like holding down the circle button in the reward screen now just quickly cycles from one item to the next sending it back to your box. It isn't a 'Send All' button, but if it truly is doing that it's still a welcome add.

It seems like holding down the circle button in the reward screen now just quickly cycles from one item to the next sending it back to your box. It isn't a 'Send All' button, but if it truly is doing that it's still a welcome add.

Yeah that's confirmed. Holding the button down for sure rapidfire sends everything faster than you could do it manually.

Ridley327

Yeah that's confirmed. Holding the button down for sure rapidfire sends everything faster than you could do it manually.

Has there ever been a reason why they don't have a straight-up "send all" function for rewards? With how big chest space is for both items and equipment, it never made much sense to me that they don't offer up the option.

Has there ever been a reason why they don't have a straight-up "send all" function for rewards? With how big chest space is for both items and equipment, it never made much sense to me that they don't offer up the option.

Yeah I dunno why they went this route instead of just an immediate send all, but I'll take this over what we've had any day.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Past games you have been totally silent and though there is a stronger story focus in this game, I haven't seen any promotional material where your character speaks. I think we can assume silent protagonist.

Okay. Thanks for the info. :)

Top Bottom