• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Off-screen footage of DOOM running on the Switch handheld

Cerium

The omission of gyro controls appears to be to reduce CPU load; gyro controls actually take up quite a few cycles.

I think they're close to pushing the Switch to its limit in order to get those graphics with that smoothness.

For me, I was thinking about double dipping (Own PC version) but I think I'm out. I mean I love the game. Obviously, I'd just play it again on my PC or console. But the main reason is the controls of the switch just don't feel that good unless you use a pro controller, and I'm not going to pay $70 for that. The standard joycons don't feel terrible, but they are objectively worse than other input devices around. Couple that with 30fps and it's just a lackluster experience. Still really happy to see it come to switch, and amazed how well it performs though.

Think my money might go to a VR title like Doom VFR instead. That at least would provide a different experience, if not an equivalent one.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I compared a scene from the PS4 version and the Switch version on youtube. It looks similar. The PS4 clip I watched looks more hectic but the dude playing was worse than the dude playing in the Switch clip. I'm gonna count enemies just to be sure.

Edit: Yeah enemy count for the section I watched was the same between the 2 versions but it looked like the monsters that throw fire were more aggressive throwing it in the PS4 version. I dunno if that's a cut back or a difficulty thing though.

Maybe it's a lower difficulty. I just remember being swarmed in some of those sections with much more aggressive enemies.

I hope Switch DOOM gets offline multiplayer bots like KZ did.

Doom already supports bots in multiplayer, I honestly think it would be a requirement for the Switch version if they are going to include multiplayer. I could see spending quite a bit of time in single player death match on the Switch. But Doom would also be the best arena styled multiplayer FPS on the console, which might make it stand out a bit more than the PC/ console versions.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
The omission of gyro controls appears to be to reduce CPU load; gyro controls actually take up quite a few cycles.

I think they're close to pushing the Switch to its limit in order to get those graphics with that smoothness.

I didn't think that would be a thing.

Bummer. I really really wanted gyro aiming for this and Wolfenstein.

plank

Is there an official conformation that there will be no gyro controls?

Don't get why so many people were tripping out before

Because it is not running at 60fps 720p in handheld mode.

The more I look at the off-screen footage, the more I like it. Yeah, it isn't as smooth as the 100+ FPS I could get on a PC, but for a handheld device, it really does look solid. The Switch is less than a Teraflop in handheld mode. Doom looks like it is pushing the hardware pretty hard, how is The New Colossus going to cope?

Clov

It actually looks like it runs pretty well. I was hesitant when I found out it was 30 fps, but this looks fine to me.

I mean it looks much better than I ever could have imagined on a handheld, but am I the only one noticing the massive amounts of input lag?

These guys are flicking the thumbstick and its like .1-.2 seconds before the screen reacts...

Shaanyboi

Banned

God damnit.

Yeeeessss. Not to mention the cocking goes perfectly with the background music too. Ugh. What an intro.
DEMONIC INVASION IN PROGRESS

The game is literally as perfect as a reboot of DOOM could EVER be.

sfried

30fps and no gyro is something of a dealbreaker for me, sadly, since I already have the PC version, but man this version holds up really well regardless, it's very astonishing.

I have the PC version, and while 30fps isn't ideal, as long as it remains solid then I'm still game.

Gyro can be implemented later, but DOOM-on-the-go is too great to pass up.

random25

Port demo looks to be solid. Gyro controls would have made things a little more interesting but nonetheless it still is looking good for DOOM on the Switch. Can't wait.

Doom looks fantastic on the Switch screen. It's pretty amazing what this thing is capable of.

If a 3rd party port can look this good on the Switch, I can't wait to see what Metroid Prime 4 will look like from Nintendo.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Looking fantastic, I totally didn't expect that. Let's hope this raises the bar for third party ports to Switch, it's good to see what this thing can really do with proper programming.

Cerium

Off-screen or not, I'm surprised no one has made any GIFs yet. There are plenty of impressive moments in the footage we have so far.

PantsuJo

Interesting.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
They are on a tight schedule since they wanna hit this Holiday season....something like Gyro controls can be added a list release update, that's not their focus right now.

They have wrap up the work soon if they wanna have physical copies out this year.

Deku89

Is there a test or source on this? I'd like to know more.

hotcyder

Oh no, I've just had a terrifying realisation

Been replaying Doom to capture some video footage - and the game is pretty stick click heavy (it's your melee and glory kill button, as well as opening doors and interacting with the environment)

The Switches' sticks do not feel good for that at all.

deleted

Oh no, I've just had a terrifying realisation

Been replaying Doom to capture some video footage - and the game is pretty stick click heavy (it's your melee and glory kill button, as well as opening doors and interacting with the environment)

The Switches' sticks do not feel good for that at all.

I hope that's re-bindable...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm not sure how well gyro controls would work in this game, due to gyro drift. Since there's no absolute point of reference like on the Wii, you'd have to keep recentering every few minutes. It works fine in something like BotW, because there you only use gyro aiming every now and then, and it automatically recenters every time you activate it. In this game you would be gyro aiming 100% of the time, and would need a dedicated button for recentering.

Does the game have ironsight aiming? Haven't played it. If it does, it could work well if gyro aiming is only enabled while holding down the left trigger. But full pointer controls like in Prime 3 I'm skeptical of (on the Switch in general, not just this game).

I'm curious how true this is. Does the Steam controller utilize CPU resources on PC? I feel like that's not too hard to test.

If you think about the inputs and signals involved gyro and analog stick really aren't different. For analog sticks the CPU measures the direction and amplitude, and for gyro it's basically the same thing. Both of those inputs are translated into signals by the controller and sent to the CPU to be interpreted and displayed as an action in the game.

The only issue with adding gyro controls is that you now have two signals to interpret rather than one, but I'd be surprised if that took enough CPU resources to actually make a difference in how the game runs.

TheMoon

I'm not sure how well gyro controls would work in this game, due to gyro drift. Since there's no absolute point of reference like on the Wii, you'd have to keep recentering every few minutes. It works fine in something like BotW, because there you only use gyro aiming every now and then, and it automatically recenters every time you activate it. In this game you would be gyro aiming 100% of the time, and would need a dedicated button for recentering.

Does the game have ironsight aiming? Haven't played it. If it does, it could work well if gyro aiming is only enabled while holding down the left trigger. But full pointer controls like in Prime 3 I'm skeptical of (on the Switch in general, not just this game).

DOOM is the antithesis to ironsight FPS shooters. :D Splatoon has 100% gyro aim and works fine, btw.

dugdug

Banned
lol
I own them all.
Don't play much on the TV, at 40 I don't have much free time that I want to spend like that; I've never hooked my Switch to the dock after the 1st day, I have a 100 games backlog spanning Xbone/PS4/WiiU and yet on Switch the shit I buy actually gets played. Already 15+ games. I also already bought and beat and fuckin loved DOOM on PS4 and yet I'm super interested: will grab it for sure when =€30 even tho 30fps is a bit of a bummer since I would've preferred scaled gfx instead but damn DOOM 2016 on a portable looking mighty impressive? It's laughable to think that the people interested in it are gonna be just Switch-only owners

How is that "laughable?" Do you really think your situation is the most common among people who own game consoles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BEDKHEQ7ZY&t=5s

maxmars

DOOM is the antithesis to ironsight FPS shooters. :D Splatoon has 100% gyro aim and works fine, btw.

This. Never had to recalibrate once during a match in Splatoon 2. You press "Y" once at game start and you're set for the entire session. Wish more games implemented gyro this well (even on PS4).

Top Bottom