• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Crimson map pack achievements.

jbgMVvPazTTmHd.jpg

Havok

Multiplayer achievements continue to be a bad idea. Surprise.

Who knows, maybe you'll be able to get them in custom games this time like with the bugged Defiant ones so players won't act like complete morons trying to get their fucking achievements in matchmaking. Who am I kidding.

Please tell me you can unlock these in custom games. Please.

I was impressed when Halo 4 didn't have shitty multiplayer achievements that emphasize very specific player behavior. Don't make me regret that.

Sordid

None of them say 'in matchmaking'. Maybe they're doing the sensible thing and making them achievable in custom games to stop the shenanigans happening in proper matches.

Probably not

Tawpgun

Crimson map pack achievements.

jbgMVvPazTTmHd.jpg

Well. They haven't fully learned their lesson. But at least they're getting better. These are nowhere near as bad as the Reach ones.

Airborne Hog and Melee from mancannon are the worst offenders and they sound terrible. Ugh. Unless one of these maps has a narrowsesque cross path mancannon.

Tawpgun

Machine gun turret is just gonna be a grind. It's the most powerful detached turret in Halo history.

Killing a player while airborne is EZ. I wonder if you use jetpack if it will negate it.

Mantis stomp is going to take a while...

Boarding a Mantis shouldn't be too bad.

Shooting an enemy out of the air in mancannon is easy.

Killing blow on a mantis is super easy.

The hog one seems bad but at least possible.

The melee kill off the mancannon is more luck oriented than 2 for 1.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Important notes from podcast:

- Says they create a weekly "to be fixed" list, usually go live Sunday or Monday the following week after obvious testing and whatnot
- Map exploits are fixed by putting invisible volumes or soft/hard kill volumes in the maps, you can download recently played maps and the fixes will apply to those maps too (i.e. if you wanted to use fixed versions of maps in customs)
- Some exploit jumps were fixed on Haven recently
- With regards to Race and Territories and classic gametypes being missing, because of new gametype scripting being tied to the new medal system and whatnot, they can't just copy + paste, says adding stuff like distinct game modes is possible, but can't promise it, says when they fix glitches and stuff they can look into adding and creating classic game modes
- They consider Extraction as the spiritual successor to Assault rather than Territories
- Talks about the Banshee/Mantis balance on Ragnarok, there was a dynamic of the two considered in design
- Railgun is by design more anti-Spartan and not really meant to be anti-Vehicle although it can be used to do things like flip Warthogs
- Some weapons are different in campaign and MP, is not sure if Railgun is one of them (after host mentions potential faster charge in campaign)
- Ragnarok chosen to remake because they loved Valhalla and they felt that it would work well with the Mantis with regards to map flow
- Same main artist for Valhalla and Ragnarok
- Paying attention and listening to requests for remakes, but it was important for them to have as many fresh experiences as possible for launch
- Can't say when, but remakes are definitely something they're looking at (sounds like an indirect confirmation to me)
- Exile is one of the dev teams favourite maps, as well as Haven
- Voids in playlist right now include needing more smaller maps in Infinity Slayer, which they are looking at
- Relay is being looked at internally to be tweaked for inclusion into the CTF playlist, won't be in for next week but the weeks after are a possibility, this kind of stuff is dependent on how many issues and the workload of the team at the given time
- Community maps have been obtained by the devs from a Community Cartographer event and they are looking at what needs to be done to get them ready for matchmaking
- Road map for including community maps into matchmaking again is not rigid, as fast as the team can do things they will with bug fixes being top priority
- Meltdown and Icefield (Halo PC) not directly related, team not afraid to use old maps as a beginning to evolve into something altogether, mentions this after using Solace being similar to Narrows as another example
- Team members look into every single Halo map for inspiration, models for sightlines, weapon placement, etc.
- Feedback from competitive community at MLG Dallas included concerns DMR/BR rifle balance which they are watching closely how the rifle balance evolves, taking note of people using Carbine and Light Rifle too, thinks we well see changes down the line
- Carbine is one of the highest skilled weapons in the game, believes it has fastest kill speed of any weapon if you get every shot, feels like highly skilled weapons have their place
- Asked why Halo gameplay was sped up, one of many early Slayer prototypes for Halo 4 was based around "tempo," which affected all the core elements of gameplay, felt it raised skill curve and eventually it developed into the final product
- One prototype was developed called "Slayer ++ or M Slayer" that focused on scoring, a few others that were focused on weapon balance, they all came together and mixed together into what became Infinity Slayer right before E3.
- "Why take the Call of Duty route and introduce +10 points?" - The biggest thing was that the , felt it often didn't recognize input of some members of the team such as the Wheelman, wanted to find ways to recognize all the players' impacts on their team, chose to focus the medals on this new reward system, created point structure to distinguish between stuff like Distraction as a +5 where as a Flag Capture is +100
- Kill points kept consistent in denominations to create consistency with personal ordnance
- Asked if we'll see another "insane" gametype introduced into Halo 4, possible down the line, Fiesta was well received at MLG, how fast they appeared in older Halo games would be a good indicator for when they will appear in 4, would consider emergent gametypes from the community that are very popular for playlist updates
- Aware of requests from community for spectator modes (Call of Duty cited as reference in the question), cannot commit to timeframe or whether it will happen, still something they want to do, would want to only release such a thing when it's completely ready
- Says there is an advantage with using the Magnum instead of the BR/DMR in SWAT if you have the height advantage because of how head hitboxes work in Halo 4
- Added Mantis to Meltdown (I guess in BTB variants?) and there is a spawn issue they are aware of and working on
- Removed Banshee from CTF Ragnarok
- Graphs are available on the latest Halo Bulletin for Personal Ordnance drop percentages, are tuned based on maps
- Meltdown Dominion specifically has a high chance of dropping Incineration Cannons when you resupply bases (noticeable if you've played the gametype)

Kevin asks the community:
- For SWAT, are people starting with the BR or DMR? Wants to know from the people even though he can pull up stats

EDIT: Didn't mean to post this yet but it's pretty much over.

lilty

Only one that looks like it will need to be boosted is the melee off a mancannon. The others are definitely doable.

Korosenai

Ill never be able to get the melee after using a mancannon achievement.

Mainly because I dont play big team, i dont use the man cannon, and what are the odds of some goof just standing in the spot where youre supposed to land?

Booties

Banned
I actually like the story in Ops, and think the voice acting is pretty good. :/

I really want to see what they do with season 2. Season 1 was done before launch, and during the time crunch. I attribute the re-use of levels to that aspect more than anything. The true test comes in season 2 when everything is done post-launch. If those levels aren't good then we have some problems.

I enjoy the CG a lot though.
Ok now I know you are a troll. How can you even call the words coming out of peoples mouths in spartan ops "acting"?

It's a wash. Failed. Dust off and move on. Stop SLRPing

Haha good one Elzar that was pretty funny. This is halo 4 though so I wouldnt be surprised if those where real.

I wish those where a joke :( how the hell did they think those achievments where a good idea?]

Time consuming cheevos, maybe one map will contain man cannons and another only just mantises so yeah it will take a while without boosting.

EDIT: Oh, the achievements are not DLC only right?

If only they would remove random ordnance and instant spawns. This game would get 10x better because of those two changes alone. I doubt either happens. :(

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Ok now I know you are a troll. How can you even call the words coming out of peoples mouths in spartan ops "acting"?

It's a wash. Failed. Dust off and move on. Stop SLRPing

I'm sure I'm not the only one to like the OPS CG stuff. Jen Taylor nails Halsey IMO.

EDIT: Booties you know what? Maybe it's just Taylor's performance I like so much. I generally don't remember much of the other actors. Maybe the rest were too generic. Halsey is good though.

I do agree that MP achievements suck in general (no really, I hate them pretty hard core), but these are in no way the worst I've seen, especially in a Halo game. None of the BS "only in a ranked FFA" like in H3, and none of Reach's make-you-wanna-dip-a-kitten-in-magma "Get an assassination with the forklift during a game of infection on a Gear of War map on a Tuesday in Anniversary DLC Matchmaking" Achievements.

Cronox

Banned
So, I'm sure this has been complained about before, but it seems even moreso than previous Halo games people are bunny hopping all over the place. In a standing 1 on 1 I do not lose, but of course people bunny hop around hoping to throw off my vertical aim and prevent me from getting a head shot, and it works. Do I really have to set my control scheme to bumper jumper to compete in this game? Bunny hopping is really the stupidest thing...

It's frustrating to lose fight after fight to bunny hoppers when I know I came in with the advantage, and it's too costly for me to take my thumb of the right stick to jump half-way through a firefight.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
LOLZ Enzo we did the same shit
Oh shit, my bad. haha

I started and didn't check the thread. Well at least the info's out there now. There was a few gems in there, biggest one being the heavy implication of remakes down the line.

ElRenoRaven

I'm sure I'm not the only one to like the OPS CG stuff. Jen Taylor nails Halsey IMO.

EDIT: Booties you know what? Maybe it's just Taylor's performance I like so much. I generally don't remember much of the other actors. Maybe the rest were too generic. Halsey is good though.

I'll agree with you about Taylor. She's just great at what she does. So many voice actors could learn a thing or two from her.

GhaleonEB

Have fun getting in a Mantis then having your teammates destroy it because you got to it first. Then you can't boot them because FF is off.

What's baffling here is they did such a good job avoiding exactly these kind of achievements in the base set. And it was pretty clearly a concerted effort to avoid gameplay altering behavior, given how start the break was. Very odd they'd swing right back to this kind of stuff.

Havok

Thanks for the breakdowns, Enzo and Tashi.
- They consider Extraction as the spiritual successor to Assault rather than Territories
Wha...what? Assault was only barely about a capture/hold mechanic, it was almost entirely about a slow setup and quick push to score, then a rapid reset. That they think Extraction hits that same need speaks to a gross misunderstanding of what people like about Assault. Extraction seems neat, but it seems neat in the same way 3 Plots was, not in the same way that Neutral Bomb was.
- Exile is one of the dev teams favourite maps <snip>
Tanks, Gauss Hogs, Banshees, I'm starting to see why. Before release, Josh Holmes mentioned that Big Team Infinity Slayer on Ragnarok was the most fun he'd ever had with Halo multiplayer, and some other 343 guys chimed in to agree. When I look at that and then at how much they love Exile when it is a constant vehicle disaster, I start to think that our interests for Halo multiplayer are not quite aligned.
- Removed Banshee from CTF Ragnarok
But not from KOTH Ragnarok. Why? Halo playlist management continues to baffle.

Only one that looks like it will need to be boosted is the melee off a mancannon. The others are definitely doable.

I don't understand the hate on these achievements.. They seem like you can get them by just playing normally and if you're a person who doesn't go off man-cannons or use turrets, just do it for the achievement and be done with it. If not, then at least they look easy to boost.

Side Thought: I'm interested to see what 343 has to say about the Carbine's usage in MM and how the game would play with a non-hitscan, 3-4sk DMR. And to take that a step further, maybe a gametype that starts with 4sk BR's and has DMR's on the map with those traits. To me, the DMR has always felt like a remake of the H1 Pistol except that it's hitscan and much easier to use. Way more people 5sk with it than people ever did with the 3sk Pistol.

Id love to see a Counter Strike gun type game type. As in say you start with the BR, when you get a kill with it you move to the carbine etc progressing through the majority of the weapons. I doubt its possible with the current loadout systems but playing CS:GO recently i was thinking this would be fun in halo.

Top Bottom