• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

theapg

Embiid is just too good to let the 76ers tank. I'm starting to get scared about winning out of the top 10 in the draft.

gutshot

Embiid is just too good to let the 76ers tank. I'm starting to get scared about winning out of the top 10 in the draft.

Don't forget we've got the Kings pick swap and the Lakers pick. It would be difficult to end up with no pick in the top 10, I would think.

Besides, who cares? We already have a franchise player, maybe two. At this point, we need a few complementary pieces and then just time for them all to grow together.

Jarate

Banned
P82tAAS.jpg

Trust the process

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

With embiid and Simmons I'm not sure tanking is necessary... Although the jury is still out on Simmons, and well see how embiid foot holds up. So far so good.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

Every legit tank team has gotten better since the start. T-wolves have a few wins the past few games as thibs figures it out, pelicans got jrue back and improved a bit, Dallas has been close to .500 since the horrific start, sixers are a .500 team or possibly better at this juncture when embiid plays, wizards got beal back.

Actually looking at the list, lakers have been up and down. That being said the 8th seed in the West is so open that tank teams all have motivation to hang around. Miami has nothing. They aren't gelling, injuries have killed them, no legit scoring options, etc.

Bread

Banned
Oh no doubt, but it's good to see the Sixers getting further away from the top. I don't want them getting one of the great PGs we're seeing in CBB right now.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Oh no doubt, but it's good to see the Sixers getting further away from the top. I don't want them getting one of the great PGs we're seeing in CBB right now.

I feel the same way, it's like a little win Everytime one of those teams snags one. I like looking forward in the schedule to see best "tank games". nets got the pelicans soon, should be another close one.

Bread

Banned
I want Fultz or Ball. Fultz will probably be the better player but Ball would be so perfect for this team. 6'6" ball handler that would allow IT to move to the 6th man scoring role and Avery to the PG defense role.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I want Fultz or Ball. Fultz will probably be the better player but Ball would be so perfect for this team. 6'6" ball handler that would allow IT to move to the 6th man scoring role and Avery to the PG defense role.

No way it takes a lesser role at this point. I like fultz better so far. Good vision, above average athlete, good shot mechanics just needs some tweaking. Wish he got to the line more.

Edit- I also like Jackson but his funky shot reminds me of mkg too much.

Bread

Banned
No way it takes a lesser role at this point. I like fultz better so far. Good vision, above average athlete, good shot mechanics just needs some tweaking. Wish he got to the line more.

Edit- I also like Jackson but his funky shot reminds me of mkg too much.
I don't necessarily want him to play less, just to come off the bench and allow for a Bradley/Ball starting defensive backcourt. I'm sure he still wouldn't take that role anyways though.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I don't necessarily want him to play less, just to come off the bench and allow for a Bradley/Ball starting defensive backcourt. I'm sure he still wouldn't take that role anyways though.

Yeah I can't see that either. He wants a max, so it's be interesting maxing a sixth man.

Edit which honestly I think that's his ideal role, like a Jason Terry or Crawford type player

Jarate

Banned
Isiah Thomas is currently in the top 5 for MVP candidates this year (im not joking about this either) and you want him to come off the bench?

Celtics need an offball shooter who can play both ways or a defensive minded big if theyre looking to "win now" Fultz should be the #1 pick no matter what though.

Sanjuro

Isiah Thomas is currently in the top 5 for MVP candidates this year (im not joking about this either) and you want him to come off the bench?

Celtics need an offball shooter who can play both ways or a defensive minded big if theyre looking to "win now" Fultz should be the #1 pick no matter what though.

Nah. Isiah is too small, not enough heart, not that good, need to trade him, etc.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Jaylen Brown shootin.

I fucking love Jaylen Brown

yeah crowder was that 2 way player, but he just looks slow to me this year. I don't think they need that though, they need a guy who can create for himself. Fultz has proven the ability to do that. I don't think the celts are close to "winning now" really unless they could land a legit superstar, and even then they need rim protection. IT's numbers and the positioning of this team will put him in the conversation, but he's still a major liability on defense, and IDK if it's gone to his head or what, but his effort level on the perimeter just isn't there this year. In fact it's like that for everybody except smart.

edit-
the only problem I can forsee with Ball is if he has the explosiveness to beat NBA level defenders off the dribble.

This is my major problem with his game. Fultz can create, distribute, shoot, score, etc. On top of balls weak athleticism, he also has a very strange shot form.

editedit- somebody mentioned this earlier, I think it was tom penny, but watching avery pass is hilarious. Just terrible. Can't even throw a basic open swing pass.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I also might be in the minority here, but I'm not crazy about Amir Johnson this year. He seems slower. His rebounding numbers are way down from last here... he doesn't provide much in the way of protection, or offense. Not sure what his role is at this point. I guess his best assett is that he's not tyler zeller.

Bread

Banned
I also might be in the minority here, but I'm not crazy about Amir Johnson this year. He seems slower. His rebounding numbers are way down from last here... he doesn't provide much in the way of protection, or offense. Not sure what his role is at this point. I guess his best assett is that he's not tyler zeller.
he's terrible, and he's the guy we need to replace the most.

gimme bogut

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
God damn love Jaylen going to the rim. The celts need more of that. He deserves more minutes, but it's tough playing him when they're pushing for a top a seed.

Just saw the bucks-sixers result...

I don't think I'd actually be that mad if Embiid got voted into the all Star game. I don't see him getting past a giannis/LeBron/Butler front court, but if Butler was moved to the 2, where I think he probably still beats out the eastern-guard glut, Embiid could get in. Only question would be Embiid or love right now

Why are the Mavs such hot garbage? isn't Cuban supposed to be the best owner to play for?> How come no one wants to play for him?

I'm so confused... they're garbage this season, but it's a single season

The main issue with the Mavs, if anything, is that Dirk wants to try for the playoffs and Carlisle is a good enough coach to wizard wins together. Assuming they still fail in their quest, a strong draft pick alongside solid players around their primes or just exiting them and one of the best coaches in the league would have me optimistic about them of nothing else.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Just saw the bucks-sixers result...

I don't think I'd actually be that mad if Embiid got voted into the all Star game. I don't see him getting past a giannis/LeBron/Butler front court, but if Butler was moved to the 2, where I think he probably still beats out the eastern-guard glut, Embiid could get in. Only question would be Embiid or love right now

I'm so confused... they're garbage this season, but it's a single season

The main issue with the Mavs, if anything, is that Dirk wants to try for the playoffs and Carlisle is a good enough coach to wizard wins together. Assuming they still fail in their quest, a strong draft pick alongside solid players around their primes or just exiting them and one of the best coaches in the league would have me optimistic about them of nothing else.

Embiid deserves a spot with how he's turned that team around. If he could play every game they'd have a legit shot at the playoffs, and hell they could still make a late push if they keep up the way they've been playing.

fake edit- lmao at kelly flying to the rim.

Jarate

Banned
Sixers are 7-2 in their last 9, and Embiid has basically scored over 20 points in each of them. Then Ben Simmons is coming back very soon.

His defensive impact is just asinine. We should seriously consider him as DPOTY this year.

Just to quote a stat from Derek Bodner

The opponent is shooting 38.9% from the field in the 191 minutes Embiid has played during this recent run. thirty eight point nine.

daXJpo0.jpg

Just look at this bullshit. look at it

And oh yeah, Ben Simmons is coming pretty soon. And you guys just wait for Simmons. He is absolutely ridiculous, and unless this foot injury fucks him up hardcore, he's going to be great.

Nerlens Noel is a great backup plan in case Embiid does get injured. Sam Hinkie was a genius, trust the process

Embiid deserves a spot with how he's turned that team around. If he could play every game they'd have a legit shot at the playoffs, and hell they could still make a late push if they keep up the way they've been playing.

fake edit- lmao at kelly flying to the rim.

Tough thing about that is that wizards and bulls both have been digging themselves out of their holes. With wizards at least, you could probably split it between wall, Beal, and Otto Porter jr (seriously when did he get so good?), but Butler definitely should be a starter.

Wizards have impressed me with how they turned things around. Their starting five is worthy of a deep playoff run, possibly up to conference finals, their depth is just too painful

Top Bottom