• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

Ochi

Neo Member
On the subject of literature, anyone who's into theater should read the play M. Butterfly by David Henry Hwang and even better if you can see it on stage. Hwang has such a deep understanding of Asian culture blending with others that he's become one of my favorite playwrights. The play hits the topic of Asian fetishism, gender stereotypes, cultural clashes, and Asian male empowerment all at once. You will either find the play ingenious or incredibly offensive. I absolutely love it.

I've pretty much given up the idea of acting altogether but if I was ever given a chance to play the love interest for that play, I would in a heartbeat.

I've read the play, but never seen it performed.

For those who want a quick summary it's about the relationship between a male British diplomat and a Chinese spy, who is a man masquerading as a woman (but who probably falls on the LGBT scale) who is a spy for the communist party and the tumultuous relationship that ensues. Additionally one of the major themes is the parallels it tries to draw with the famous Italian opera "Madame Butterfly" by Puccini

Japanese curry is... boring

Indian and Thai curry is where it's at

Indian curry too flavoursome for me :< I have a meek tastebuds that go for moderate seasoning :<

I needs to level up on the spices and seasoning side of Asian dishes :>

Talking about noodles, I had this insane soft-shell crab vietnamese soup noodles with egg and vegetables recently, and it was SUPER DELISH

*_____*

Esch

Banned
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-30080578
Walk Free says it found evidence of slavery in all 167 countries it surveyed.

The report says Africa and Asia face the biggest challenges in eradicating slavery, while the practice is least prevalent in Europe.

Map showing the numbers of people living in slavery around the world by region
According to the report, more than 14 million people live as slaves in India. Next in the index comes China, with more than 3 million slaves, followed by Pakistan and Uzbekistan.
_79072591_global_slavery_20141711_624v4.gif

Usobuko

Banned
Indian curry is the best out of all the Asian counterparts.

Being a chinese from Singapore, I like chinese cuisine the most. I guess you could somewhat count the Taiwanese and HK food as extensions of this. Not the kind of weird and exotic stuff though. My second favorite would be either Thai or Japanese. I would love some authentic India food but I'm not sure if that is available here. I did like this Northern India restaurant near where I stay.

Chuckie

You would be wrong.

the texture is a little weird, but it's not bad.

Yeah texture is really weird. I also really can't stand the smell. Bakso goreng is ok though.

I could probably go without durian.

I quite like that actually. Although the texture again is really...odd

I like Asian cuisine, but I cant really eat spicy so I've been trying to induct my tastebuds slowly to the stronger palettes like Thai and Indian food. I did try Thai Laksa soup a while ago when I was in Thailand and that was delicious but their spicy fish was too strong for me x____x I needed lots of drinking water afterwards ha ha~

I'm pretty good with spicy food. But one day I was eating fried fish with sambal in Manado...and it burned like a thousand suns.

Filipino living in a state (Hawaii) where majority of the population is Asian. Live in metro Honolulu. 5 Minute walk from a variety of asian restaurants such as korean, japanese, indian, thai,vietnamese, etc.

My wife is Chinese-Indonesian and I speak Indonesian...

I like Asian food, but haven't eaten weirder than snake and cow lungs....

can I post here?

Same here. My partner is Korean-Australian. I've been trying to practice Korean with his family but my mother in law is, while lovely, a scary teacher ><

So, Hello! If I'm not welcome here I will quietly fade back out of the thread.

Same here. My partner is Korean-Australian. I've been trying to practice Korean with his family but my mother in law is, while lovely, a scary teacher ><

So, Hello! If I'm not welcome here I will quietly fade back out of the thread.

shaaaaaaanshaaaaaaaan <3

you are welcomed of course <3 and tence too <3 everyone is welcomed!

yeeeey ^_____^

@tence XD wow burning of a thousand suns. sounds pretty hot :x i ... cant even cope with nando's mild seasoning... let alone this fried fish with sambal that you tried.

:>

y2dvd

Is it true that Taiwanese restaurants refuse to accept tips? I went to one in the states, left a tip on the table and left. The waitress ran after me in the parking lot wanting to give my tip back. I told her it's for her to keep but she refused to accept it.

Zoe

Is it true that Taiwanese restaurants refuse to accept tips? I went to one in the states, left a tip on the table and left. The waitress ran after me in the parking lot wanting to give my tip back. I told her it's for her to keep but she refused to accept it.

They'll accept tips around here :lol

Esch

Banned
Gonna be honest, I tip 25% everywhere I go because I know so many (old) desi dudes refuse to pay a decent tip or even tip at all. Trying to balance the scales out :lol

I was at a restaurant in Japan when an Asian guy stepped in, was handed a menu by a woman working there, and after she spoke one sentence to him he interjected with the most standard American accent ever, "Oh sorry, I don't speak Japanese." Her expression immediately flattened and her eyes glazed over as she walked away completely dumbstruck. I will never forget her priceless expression, or how hard I had to bite my lip to keep from laughing. Maybe she was just tired and wasn't ready for that mind-blowing experience.

But it really put into perspective how tough it can be looking Asian in such an ethnically homogenized country, and how people rely so much on how a person looks when they're about to speak to someone.

Also in Japan, I was on a train and two guys, four feet away from me, just started talking about my shoes, going back and forth between each other wondering what material they were made out of-- suede? leather?-- real incidental stuff. Never looked at me, never said anything to me; I'm just some nondescript white guy. I wasn't gutsy enough to say they were leather in either English or Japanese, but I'll bet that guy I saw in the restaurant doesn't experience that sort of thing.

Kevyt

So there's this stereotype about Asian women that they're only interested in White Western Men. What do you guys think about this? I personally find it a hasty generalization, while it is true that some women prefer Caucasian men, they don't represent the whole group.

clav

We all should get together and get some tasty food.

And then fight for the check.

How are we going to make this happen?

I think we're spread out here.

My dad works for Toyota....I know Torrance has amazing Japanese food :p

Torrance/Gardena area has a lot of Japanese eats. I don't know if that's going to change once Toyota moves out though.

Is your dad going to make the jump to Texas? Seeing a lot of Toyota job listings stating future employees must move.

Cagey

Banned
Generic white dude (can claim Italian as my ethnicity but w/e four generations removed) married to slash marrying a Korean gal. We got legally married over the summer to consolidate health insurance, but the big blowout Jersey wedding is in December. Half the guests will be friends getting absolutely wrecked with us, but the other half is going to be split between her extended Korean family and my extended obnoxious, racist Italian family. Did I mention I plan on getting totally hammered?

I've done enough intermingling with her parents and my parents/grandparents to where it's totally cool, but that's just two people. Additionally, her extended family is chock full of white collar professionals and the occasional small biz owner, whereas my family is fully blue-collar. I'm going to crush the vodka luge out of necessity.

I saw twinkie above. Half my 11 groomsmen (roll deep, yo) are Chinese/Taiwanese friends from back in middle and high school. They called me an egg. Thought that shit was so clever.
it was

clav

So there's this stereotype about Asian women that they're only interested in White Western Men. What do you guys think about this? I personally find it a hasty generalization, while it is true that some women prefer Caucasian men, they don't represent the whole group.
Sweeping generalization usually said by bitter stubborn men (and maybe women).

I just say whatever. There are a lot of people in this world.

Japanese curry is still the best though. Especially if you put shredded cheese on it and it melts into the curry.

BJevYFFCAAEYtfI.jpg

Cheese on curry katsu looks pretty disgusting... but thoroughly arousing
points if you got the reference right away
gotta try it next time I grab it.

Kikirin

Subscribed.

ABV here, entire life pretty much spent in the Midwest so far. Unfortunately, my career / hobbies / mannerisms do little to dispel the Asian stereotype.

Chuckie

That reminds me of some research they once did on a dating-site, about ethnicity and responses. I have no idea whatsoever if this is accurate though in general.

Noooooo...top of the page :(

jasonng

Subscribed.

ABV here, entire life pretty much spent in the Midwest so far. Unfortunately, my career / hobbies / mannerisms do little to dispel the Asian stereotype.
Don't fight genetics, bro. Just be happy being the fun violin playing mathematical genius doctor that you are.

Kevyt

ahahaha I DO THIS TOO. But that's because young people seem to tip like assholes, and Asians in general don't tip very much.

I've heard that Japan is like that about foreigners.

To be fair, I once had someone ask me if I speak English in the US.

I'VE HEARD OF IT.

5% of the population is Asian, and since Asian women generally aren't seen as undesirable the way Asian men are, it makes sense that an Asian women might date a "white guy," given that there's probably 20 more of them for every 1 Asian male.

Aside from that, whenever I hear that stereotype, I roll my eyes internally and make a mental checkmark on whoever said that-- NOPE.

Funny you should ask-- my dad and my mom just left for Dallas a couple hours ago. My dad is definitely moving. I don't think my mom is, though.

Could you elaborate more on that? What makes people see Asian Men less desirable in comparison to Asian women? I have read blogs of Asian American LGBT activists pointing out to a certain degree of racism in the queer community, but I'm curious as to where you're coming from.

That reminds me of some research they once did on a dating-site, about ethnicity and responses. I have no idea whatsoever if this is accurate though in general.

Noooooo...top of the page :(

Yeah that's a very interesting study. It makes me think about a bunch of things. I would want to ask the surveyors a bunch of questions. Do you have the link to this study?

suzu

My non-Asian friends used to try and set me up with other East Asians based solely on the fact that we were both Asians. That really annoyed for a long time, but I don't have any particular preferences now.

Zoe

I've heard that Japan is like that about foreigners.

I definitely made a sad face when I was the one person in our group of four (including a burst-into-flames-in-the-sun white girl) to get singled out for an "international" menu :(

I also got the "talking about you right in front of you" thing on the way to a wedding reception. I wasn't surprised though
, it didn't occur to me until it was too late that my dress was quite revealing by Japanese standards

We all should get together and get some tasty food.

And then fight for the check.

I only seem to hang around poor and/or Americanized Asians, so this rarely happens. But one time my stepmom barged behind the counter to snatch my credit card out of the waitress' hand. I was buying boba for the family, so like $40 max. Was ridiculous.

Apparently Asian women only have two choices when it comes to dating: Asian guys or white guys.

It's a weird stereotype that might be true in a small number of cases, but generally just ends up occurring due to numbers. And many Asian girls only date guys of their ethnicity. One ex would only date Taiwanese guys. She also had a "must be older" clause, but gave that up once the pickings became slim. Personally I think that this is a bigger problem than the Asian girls only date white guys thing, which isn't true most of the time.

There's also the perception that Asian men aren't desirable. In the past, I just kind of assumed non-Asian girls weren't interested in me. When white girls hit one me I was either oblivious or confused.

y2dvd

My viet gf's mom wants her to get into the healthcare industry to find a doctor to marry. We're only two months in so she haven't told her mom that we're dating. Her mom is going to be severely disappointed if she ever meets me lol. D:

It's okay. Sometimes I feel this way about being a girl (I love makeup, shopping, sparkly things, squealing, and says "totes").. but then I remind myself there's nothing inferior about liking those things, just like there's nothing inferior about any of the things that make up the Asian stereotype.

Hollywood emasculates Asian men and uses them as points of comedy.

Also, the Hollywood archetype for hot male = tall and buff. Asian people tend to be on the smaller and slimmer side.. which is okay for women (minus all the "I like boobs on my women"), but not okay for male.

Is it weird I would find that person 10000x more attractive on paper than a cornfed football jock? lol :p

I suppose this is it. I also think that growing up, most of the guys girls were into were mostly non-Asian or part-Asian. Most of the full Asians has that bowl-cut thick glasses nerd thing going on, me included. It was only after getting into shape and learning about grooming myself that I broke that mold (and saw other Asian men doing the same), but I think I'll always be a chubby, nerdy Asian kid at heart.

Shit, maybe we dated each other.

Unless you're married with kids or a terrible, terrible person, we have not dated each other.

On paying- the older always pays for the younger, so I have to really fight some of my friends that are only one or two years older than me for the bill. They love using that argument against me, but TBH it's more of a generation thing. I would never fight an older generation (parents-age) if they tried, and usually you don't fight if they are an older gen.. but you're supposed to fight if it's the same gen? & it's assumed you pay for the younger gen. Again, just my understanding of how this works culturally.

I had no idea that the elders paid for the youngers. So many things make sense now.

Also, TBH, I prefer dating Asian men that speak Mandarin, and my preference has always been men that speak Chinese with the Taiwanese accent. I also prefer my age or older.
I also only want kinky partners.
For me, that last requirement has made pickings slim... I've never had a problem finding Chinese-speaking boyfriends. The first three are to satisfy my parents, and the last two are for me.

I hesitate to say I "only" date Asians that are older than me, because I'm sure I'd date any interesting guy that piqued my interest (and I have dated nonChinese, and nonAsian men), but I've never really had a problem finding my preferred type, so I never needed to consider other ethnicities/backgrounds, if that makes sense.

Something about a guy that speaks Mandarin with a Taiwanese accent is just comforting to me. Makes me feel secure.

(Not to mention, I think Asian features are the most attractive, objectively speaking.)

I've had non-Taiwanese Mandarin speakers say that I sound fake or like a robot when I attempt Mandarin. I say that they only think that because I'm not slurring my words and adding -la to the end of everything. I think of Taiwanese Mandarin as the British of Mandarin.

Also WTH on it being hard to find kinky men. Are you only dating very religious guys (who I would think have deep-seated kins ready to explode)? Is anti-kink another facet of my culture that I'm unaware of?

I'm a terrible person.

Since I grew up around primarily Taiwanese-Mandarin speaking Asians, to me, that accent just sounds like home and safety. I do think it's "prettier" than mainland Mandarin, the same way I think Japanese sounds the "prettiest" of most languages.

& no, it just seems a lot of Asians are fairly traditional, and sex, while not a taboo in the MUST BE A VIRGIN WAY, is just not discussed. I'm on Fetlife, and there are NO ASIANS on that site in my area... despite the fact that the OC is like 30% Asian, at least. This is just the general fairly conservative Asian mindset. Sexuality is not a big thing-- if you look at the stuff on TV over there now, it doesn't really ooze sexuality the way Hollywood does.

Anecdotally-- my partner, Taiwanese-American (raised in TX in an area that was predominantly white at first), didn't really know about BDSM until he was 26 (when he met me and I told him about it). He's kinky, too, and I think honestly has always been.. but he was just unaware of it. I feel like I lucked out though... got a smart, Mandarin speaking w/Taiwanese accent, older, kinky WoW tank working in the STEM field. Hit every single turn-on for me :p.

I assumed that any guy growing up in America would be exposed to enough sex at least be curious about kink. But thinking about it, it's not like my parents ever gave me the talk or anything. Closest was my mom offering to buy me condoms when she found out I had a girlfriend. Though that's probably not a typical Asian mother response.

Story time. The first boyfriend I ever had was Vietnamese, and the first time I met his mother.. LITERALLY THE FIRST THING SHE SAID TO ME (we were in high school):

1. So, where are you going for college? [I was a sophomore].
followed by
2. What are you going to study?
followed by
3. Why pharmacy? Why not medical school?

She didn't say hi. Didn't ask me anything. Later I found out she told her friends, in front of my bf, that while she thought the girl they picked out for him (doctor, another Vietnamese girl) was prettier, her son seemed to prefer me.

:x

I know that it probably stung at the time, but that sounds hilarious.

So what are your guys opinion on filipinos being considered Pacific Islander rather than Asian? Personally when I think Pacific Islander I think more on the lines of Samoan, Tongan, Hawaiian, chuukese, etc.

Kevyt

It's okay. Sometimes I feel this way about being a girl (I love makeup, shopping, sparkly things, squealing, and says "totes").. but then I remind myself there's nothing inferior about liking those things, just like there's nothing inferior about any of the things that make up the Asian stereotype.

Hollywood emasculates Asian men and uses them as points of comedy.

Also, the Hollywood archetype for hot male = tall and buff. Asian people tend to be on the smaller and slimmer side.. which is okay for women (minus all the "I like boobs on my women"), but not okay for male.

Is it weird I would find that person 10000x more attractive on paper than a cornfed football jock? lol :p

Shit, maybe we dated each other.

On paying- the older always pays for the younger, so I have to really fight some of my friends that are only one or two years older than me for the bill. They love using that argument against me, but TBH it's more of a generation thing. I would never fight an older generation (parents-age) if they tried, and usually you don't fight if they are an older gen.. but you're supposed to fight if it's the same gen? & it's assumed you pay for the younger gen. Again, just my understanding of how this works culturally.

Also, TBH, I prefer dating Asian men that speak Mandarin, and my preference has always been men that speak Chinese with the Taiwanese accent. I also prefer my age or older.
For me, that last requirement has made pickings slim... I've never had a problem finding Chinese-speaking boyfriends. The first three are to satisfy my parents, and the last two are for me.

I hesitate to say I "only" date Asians that are older than me, because I'm sure I'd date any interesting guy that piqued my interest (and I have dated nonChinese, and nonAsian men), but I've never really had a problem finding my preferred type, so I never needed to consider other ethnicities/backgrounds, if that makes sense.

Something about a guy that speaks Mandarin with a Taiwanese accent is just comforting to me. Makes me feel secure.

(Not to mention, I think Asian features are the most attractive, objectively speaking.)

Yeah that's definitely interesting. Those are mostly male gender stereotypes "tall and buff." In addition, most women want their men to be taller than them.

simplayer

Not asian, but the bolded seems really weird to me. Does it really matter what your parents think? Especially getting down to the detail of what sort of accent the guy has?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Pretty big generalization, at least here in California. Growing up here (from junior high to high school to university and beyond), most asians I knew primarily dated other asians and you see plenty of that just walking around as well. There's a lot of cross-culture dating too (Filipino/Chinese/Japanese/Korean/Vietnamese/etc). My wife is also Filipino, but one of her sisters married a Korean guy and the other sister married a Chinese guy.

The large asian population we have here may be a factor in that.

clav

What did your families tell you about dating and sex while growing up?

Mine told me nothing. In fact, we avoided the subject all together.

Just focus on school, and everything will be OK as I know now that isn't true.

Same thing with friends. Focus on school, and everything will be OK.

There's a reason why some of us on here a lot because our social lives suck.

Now I have zero close friends and no dating experience (i.e. even kiss-less).

I don't know if I should blame my parents or myself. What are your experiences?

1. So, where are you going for college? [I was a sophomore].
followed by
2. What are you going to study?
followed by
3. Why pharmacy? Why not medical school?

My mom pulled that nonsense with the first girl I ever brought over... geeze adding the "what race is she" in the most awkward attempt to be polite ever, before she got here. Pretty sure they think I'm gay now since I refuse to bring anyone over at this point.

Either way, as someone who is mixed with a ton of crap I don't really have a preference per se but I have noticed that pretty much
all
the women I dated happened to be Filipino just out of coincidence. Guess they are the only women attracted to me... at least blatant enough to straight up ask me out first which I like. It may sound weird but I sometimes wish I had the parental pressure to date a specific type of person who fits this list of criteria cause I honestly don't know what the fuck I'm doing haha.

And on the Asian ladies preferring white guys... its definitely not true, but easy to see where it comes from a lot of the time just visually looking around (depending where you live) and some of the stories we hear from friends or worse encounter in person as a third party.

Where I live theres more Asian Female & White Male pairings than other races outside Asian, simply as others said, numbers. There is already a very small Asian population here, and more White+Black couples are common when talking about mixed race. Have seen several Asian male Black female couples here... especially the one from high school. Chubby Asian guy, glasses, loved Naruto head band and all daily... smokin hot cheerleader gf for years. Must have been doing something right haha, a bunch of people hated on that couple but they were super cute in my eyes.

Also a previous ex's mother was completely on the "you need a white guy" train with her daughter, simply because she wanted a blonde baby in the family... When she told her mom that my hair grows with a mix of blonde naturally she proceeded to ask if "is there any sex techniques to make sure our baby would turn out all blonde, kinda like how you need to go deep to get a boy..." Now that was weird rofl. Her mom was kinda nuts but stories of how some parents almost, and I hate saying this, almost worship the ground white people walk on, I see randomly. Once again, not everyone is like that and seems like most of their kids have 0% thoughts like that thankfully.

Kevyt

My parents consider them to be Pacific Islander… I think it's because people from the Philippines look more "European" (thanks to Spanish blood?). Sort of how the indigenous natives of Mexico look a lot more like Asians than Europeans, but thanks to the Spanish invaders, Mexicans now look much more European.

I don't know. If you're flipino… imo, you can decide which one you would prefer to identify with.

Yeah, I would say what my parents think make up 40% of my dating preferences.

The accent is more about how my parents like Chinese people from Taiwan, not Chinese people from China (something something cultural differences). The accent for me is more about the actual sound of it.

Same here :D.

Luckily I had the INTERNET.

Also, hey, despite my extremely overprotective, super conservative, super religious Asian parents… my social life is fine :(. I'm a little awkward, and sometimes a bit.. uh… holier-than-art, and I do attribute that to how my parents viewed everyone else (you know, that we were superior or whatever, both ethnically [blahblah Taiwanese are the best] and morally [blah blah Christians are the best]), but it's something I'm really getting over and trying to correct myself when I feel like I'm doing that.

But, I've had a lot of boyfriends, lots of experiences. I even joined a Panhellenic sorority in college.

Still think life is what you make of it, though stereotypes and not having the foundation can make it a little tough to start.

*edit: Don't think it's a healthy outlook in life to look for something to blame, though. Just my 2cents.

Ahahaha. "Hmm, I have a pointy thing, and girls have a hole. EUREKA."

I'm Hispanic but I can understand the sentiment. What your parents think is very important, at least to a certain degree. I'm actually Mexican and I wouldn't say indigenous native Mexicans look Asiatic. The closest could be aboriginals and Filipinos. But it depends, there were many tribes in ancient Mexico that were very different to one another including physical characteristics. The Philippines is an unique position because of the Spanish colonization. A lot of Filipinos have Spanish names and some of them have Spanish ancestry in them. European Mexicans look European. But many are mixed.

clav

guys... its definitely not true, but easy to see where it comes from a lot of the time just visually looking around (depending where you live) and some of the stories we hear from friends or worse encounter in person as a third party.

I find that people who believe in that crap are a little crazy themselves.

I had a classmate that told me to marry white. Why?

"So you can have beautiful children! That's what I'm doing!"

so the whole basis of your relationship for dating preferences is to have what you think will be "beautiful children" because of race superiority?

wtf

I felt like I was getting trolled, but no, there are people who genuinely believe this notion.

TopDreg

A thread for people kinda like me!

Hi all. My name's Aaron. I'm half-Chinese, quarter-British, quarter-Czech, currently residing in Oregon. I graduated with a triple-major in physics, math, and comp sci. Currently studying the LSAT for IP law while awaiting word on if I'll be going on a Peace Corps mission in June to teach math and science.

So, I guess I mostly fulfill the stereotype of one-half of myself?

Top Bottom