• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Riverdale |OT| Teen Peaks (or: Archie's Weirder Mysteries) - Thursday, 9/8c on The CW

Pluto

It's not on Netflix yet, what's taking so long? The said the day after it premieres in the US ... well it's friday 8:00 a.m. over here aka the day after, I'm waiting Netflix.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I honestly don't know if it's okay for them to have Betty and Veronica kiss even if they made fun of it moments later. lol

Pilgrimzero

It's a CW Show around Teenagers not involving superpowers. Comics didn't do it, I believe, but relationship between a Sophomore and a Teacher? Sure why not, this won't end poorly or anything

It's okay cause she's hot.

(Yes it's a stupid plot line, my one real complaint)

I don't know shit about shit when it comes to Archie comics, but I enjoyed the hell out of this first episode so I will be tuning in.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Thoughts on Episode 1:

- I love how we just get thrown into Riverdale. They didn't waste an exorbitant amount of time with slow setup.
- Veronica talking circles around everyone is so on point. Her references are A+
- Bad Teacher 2 starring Ms. Grundy.
- Veronica is now nicknamed "Ranch" cause she be dressing.
- "Is being the gay best friend still a thing?" Hahaha nice lampshade.
- Betty came on way too strong with the power couple drop. Archie ain't ready for that
- Jughead is Gossip Girl. XOXO

Great first episode. It established the nuance in the Archie/Betty/Veronica dynamic, which isn't easy. They're in a love triangle but all still friends and hanging out, you don't see that very often.

MarkusRJR

Man, Kevin is the surprise best character of this show. Can't wait to binge watch Season One once it gets on Netflix later today.

That was a solid premiere

Betty and Veronica kissing was pretty random

Archie is a tool

Josie is a jerk

Cheryl is really creepy

There wasn't enough Jughead in this

Fun premiere. One thing this show accomplished was make me feel super old. I used to read Archie comics a lot in middle school. Time is a bitch...

The Netflix tag line they're using is so lame.

Great premiere though. Everything seemed to clock right away. Excited to see what's next.

Gazunta

Up on Netflix Australia too.

I'm a sucker for anything Archie but hot damn they nailed the spirit of the characters while changing up enough to keep it interesting. I am ON BOARD.

Is the Lodge mansion really dusty? Like, it looks like Smithers needs to get a vacuum cleaner through the place, it's like nobody's been there in decades.

MORE JUGHEAD THO PLEASE FOR REAL

Pluto

The first episode was a lot of fun, this has to be a hit for the CW.

I don't see Grundy's character making it to season 2, student boning teacher stories never last long.
So who killed Jason? Cheryl is an obvious suspect, she was there and lied about Jason falling overboard and drowing but it's a bit too obvious. The Cooper parents might be suspects but I think the first arrest they'll make is ... Jughead!
Why Jughead? Because he's a main character and so far they've only used him as the narrator and gave him one scene with Archie. Someone probably sees everything he wrote about Jason (maybe he did additional research?) and *boom* the weird loner who seemed to have an obsession with Jason becomes the prime suspect.

Cheryl could be the first arrest too but she's a rich girl, the local police probably wouldn't arrest her that fast unless the local sheriff wants to get Keith Marsed.

Replicant

23w3u8.jpg

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Hahaha, that's how I feel as well but it's okay. I imagine that most of the teen actors and actresses must be between the ages of 16 and 19. At least the adults make you feel less guilty. Ms. Grundy and Mrs. Lodge are pretty attractive in their own right. Molly Ringwald has also aged well so it'll be great to see her as Mrs. Andrews. Matthew Perry looks pretty grizzled from his 90210 days but I like it since he reminds me of Walter White in appearance.
I know at least Cole Sprouse is my age and I'm 24. I bet they're all over 20.

This was OK I guess. Just hoping the mystery is more a focus than the relationship stuff.
wishful thinking I know

Not enough jug head but mmmmm that ms grundy <3

gforguava

Thankfully I liked this as much as I was hoping to(I was worried my hype for it would backfire).

The cast, besides being gorgeous, was pretty perfect and the characters all generally worked(I say generally because Jughead is a bit of question mark at the moment). From Betty and Veronica unsurprisingly being the heart of this thing, down to the little bit of Reggie we got, it was just what I needed.

And a big nod of approval for making Veronica extra awesome, I'll always be a Cheryl(aka the Best Girl Ever) fan but Veronica 'ice' put down was too good.

gforguava

The hotness is great. The only problem caused by said hotness was with Moose, when Archie and Reggie are hunks Moose doesn't quite stand out as much('cause he is also a hunk).

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Not me, I need my hunks.

Granted, I haven't watched an episode yet, so I'm just going by the trailer.

Shirtless night jogging, hell yes.

Next week baby according to episode 2 promo. Watch the first episode Monocle, you will likey!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Excellent premiere! Delivered on everything I was expecting.

Not enough Jughead really.
My only problem with the episode, haha. It was juggling with a lot already though. Looking forward to much more of him.

Thoughts on Episode 1:

- I love how we just get thrown into Riverdale. They didn't waste an exorbitant amount of time with slow setup.
- Veronica talking circles around everyone is so on point. Her references are A+
- Bad Teacher 2 starring Ms. Grundy.
- Veronica is now nicknamed "Ranch" cause she be dressing.
- "Is being the gay best friend still a thing?" Hahaha nice lampshade.
- Betty came on way too strong with the power couple drop. Archie ain't ready for that

Great first episode. It established the nuance in the Archie/Betty/Veronica dynamic, which isn't easy. They're in a love triangle but all still friends and hanging out, you don't see that very often.
Loved the references and all the trope lampshading throughout too, all were nicely executed. You can feel that the writers are having a blast working with this property.

Chase17

Solid premiere.

Biggest complaint was the blatant exposition talk between Archie's father and Veronica's mother. Such a small scene it hardly matters though.

Fuu

Loved the amount of "final" drafts on Jughead's desktop, lol. Can relate.

94mLeqf.png

Hahaha, that's how I feel as well but it's okay. I imagine that most of the teen actors and actresses must be between the ages of 16 and 19. At least the adults make you feel less guilty. Ms. Grundy and Mrs. Lodge are pretty attractive in their own right. Molly Ringwald has also aged well so it'll be great to see her as Mrs. Andrews. Matthew Perry looks pretty grizzled from his 90210 days but I like it since he reminds me of Walter White in appearance.
I know at least Cole Sprouse is my age and I'm 24. I bet they're all over 20.
At 19 I believe Apa is the youngest of the main cast. I couldn't find the ages for Josie (Ashleigh Murray) and Moose (Cody Kearsley).

K.J. Apa (Archie): 19
Lili Reinhart (Betty): 20
Camila Mendes (Veronica): 22
Cole Sprouse (Jughead): 24
Madelaine Petsch (Cheryl): 22
Casey Cott (Kevin): 24
Ross Butler (Reggie): 26

edit:

Matthew Perry
:lol

Slaythe

What ? Archie is 19 ?!

I'm almost 10 years older and he looks older than me. Cole Sprouse also looks a lot younger !

That's interesting.

So, I enjoyed the premiere quite a bit. I'm not sure eveything worked but I felt they quickly moved away from the weaker parts, so whoever is in charge knows how to fix things.

It had a lot of "mundane" scenes yet none fell boring to watch. So the pacing was incredible on that front.

All the characters are unique thanks to decent writing, good casting, and more importantly, impeccable art direction. They all stand out instantly.

I found the characters far more relatable and likeable than what you get on Vampire Diaries (that I gave up long ago) or Scream (insufferable).

Solid foundation, I just hope we get some "spooky" elements later on...
I mean, I'm not gonna forgive them if we don't get Sabrina.

Slaythe

Oh it bombed ? Well that's a shame.

That's more of the promo's fault than the show though.

Hopefully it picks up steam !

Fuu

Hope the rest of the season keeps up the quality and it gets some traction through word of mouth. They did try with the marketing but I guess it will take a bit for it to find its feet on that front.

Also, hopefully Netflix will make the show appear quickly in more places internationally too. The deal for Riverdale only covers a few countries for now. I wish it was like Better Call Saul, which I believe is global on Netflix except for the US.

ZeroX03

Banned
Hope the rest of the season keeps up the quality and it gets some traction through word of mouth. They did try with the marketing but I guess it will take a bit for it to find its feet on that front.

Also, hopefully Netflix will make the show appear quickly in more places internationally too. The deal for Riverdale only covers a few countries for now. I wish it was like Better Call Saul, which I believe is global on Netflix except for the US.

No BCS isn't in every region, some other providers in other countries snapped it up.

wildfire

Banned
The hotness is great. The only problem caused by said hotness was with Moose, when Archie and Reggie are hunks Moose doesn't quite stand out as much('cause he is also a hunk).

I would say the overhaul of Ms. Grundy is a problem in of itself. Did this show need to fulfill the statutory rape trope considering everything else it has going on?

We'll see if they handle things differently but I doubt it.

Fuu

No BCS isn't in every region, some other providers in other countries snapped it up.
Ah I see, thanks. I was under the impression the USA was the only exception for BCS. I guess that's pretty rare for streaming rights considering even some Netflix Originals aren't available on the site in some regions.

ZeroX03

Banned
Ah I see, thanks. I was under the impression the USA was the only exception for BCS. I guess that's pretty rare for streaming rights considering even some Netflix Originals aren't available on the site in some regions.

Netflix was too slow to launch in some regions and stupidly sold their early originals not thinking they'd launch there at all. So there's weird things like random companies having a bunch of local stuff, mostly crap and then House of Cards and Breaking Bad because of existing deals.

I don't think Netflix will make that mistake too often anymore. They'll buy for as many regions as they can get. CA, ANZ, Benelux, Nordics, Portugal, UK/IE, DACH, Czech, Nordics, France, Poland, APAC is a good start.

Slaythe

I think the problem is that the show feels very classic right now.

It's a quality show but it's not doing anything "unique" at the moment. Because the show needs time to establish its world first, but the price for that is that it might appear "generic" for most outsiders.

Hopefully the show gets its thing before the ratings kill it :/ .

I like how the show doesn't make Archie the main character with everything seen from his perspective, but more from that of others. Which allows them to make him this super desirable guy. I don't think it would work if we were seeing events from his eyes and at the same time he was the object of other's desires. It works better that it is Betty who we root for.

Top Bottom