• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeOak

Nice. Power Planner stopped working for no reason. I had bought the paid version so its quite funny that after i uninstalled the marketplace showed me again "try" and "buy". WTF?

Updated to 2.8. Nope, still out. Won't start.

Tomcat

Nice. Power Planner stopped working for no reason. I had bought the paid version so its quite funny that after i uninstalled the marketplace showed me again "try" and "buy". WTF?

Updated to 2.8. Nope, still out. Won't start.

i had the same problem with weathermaster
install it through the web marketplace

strata8

I had bought the paid version so its quite funny that after i uninstalled the marketplace showed me again "try" and "buy". WTF?

I remember iOS being even worse in that regard until iOS 5. The worst part about it was that they didn't tell you until you'd actually chosen to 'buy' the app - Windows Phone at least displays a confirmation dialog after checking whether you've bought it already. Still, it would nice to have the 'install' button in the app page like the newer version of iOS.

hwalker84

Finally decided to wipe my phone and lose everything since support couldn't figure out why my phone wouldn't update to Mango.
I did it a few weeks ago and I definitely love the improvements. Feels like a fresh new phone, I was hardly using the thing before as I was not enjoying it.

Can't believe Forward and Find on Page are gone.
Also more of a hassle accessing tabs and favorites in the browser. The only real negatives about it.

Losing all my game and app data like that though with no real backup option... that sucked, and don't feel like buying a new WP7 unless that is resolved.

Forward and Find on page being gone is extremely frustrating.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I have a PDF I downloaded to my phone. How do I get it out of there? Any way to email it or share it out? Right now, I can only view it through the adobe app, but I want it saved on SkyDrive.

ElNino

Just select "Buy" and when it goes to the payment confirmation screen, it will indicate that you have already bought the app and just gives the "Install" option.

I have a PDF I downloaded to my phone. How do I get it out of there? Any way to email it or share it out? Right now, I can only view it through the adobe app, but I want it saved on SkyDrive.

SkyDrive had a feature where you could "upload" files on your SD via E-Mail, but Microsoft removed the feature, because users hardly used it.

I hope that adds to the frustration.

Gaspode_T

The nearly pathetic level of activity in the WP Gaming thread has depressed me, but not as much as the fact that I have already played most of the XBL games I am interested in only a few weeks of Lumia ownership...I tried Glyder today and hated it, not even worth 99 cents...need to open up access to XBL Apis... ridiculous that 200 good XNA games have been released for Xbox indie games and they seem incapable of converting many of the best to WP7

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The nearly pathetic level of activity in the WP Gaming thread has depressed me, but not as much as the fact that I have already played most of the XBL games I am interested in only a few weeks of Lumia ownership...I tried Glyder today and hated it, not even worth 99 cents...need to open up access to XBL Apis... ridiculous that 200 good XNA games have been released for Xbox indie games and they seem incapable of converting many of the best to WP7

There are some real gems that aren't Xbox live enabled, but it's tough to find them because the market doesn't surface them effectively. I think appflow does a better job, so you can try that out.

dream

The bad news is:

LG has no immediate plans to produce further Windows Phone hardware, according to a statement provided to the Korea Herald. The company will instead be putting even greater focus on Android moving forward, and isn't being shy about its reasoning for the strategy shift: underwhelming retail performance. "The total unit of Windows Phone sold in the global market is not a meaningful figure," said a spokesperson.

The good news is it's being reported by The Verge, so it's probably not true at all.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Sucks, but not a single person I know is looking forward to an LG phone, on any platform. My wife owned the Quantum, and it was solid, but also had plenty of questionable design choices. Still, you want as many oem's as possible, if only to get some hardware variety. LG and Dell were the only ones doing hw keyboard, and now both are off the roster of wp7 hw manufacturers. Even if I personally dont care, it would be nice to have more oems.

dream

Well, according to LG, neither is Windows Phone 7 I'm just kidding that was a joke don't hurt me VanMardigan

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Forward and Find on page being gone is extremely frustrating.

Luckily there's an easy bookmarklet to put the Forward command back.
There's also one for Find on Page that works ok, but not nearly as nice as the original.

Makes no sense why they're gone.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1311086

For Foward, make this a favorite. I saved it as (Forward) so it would be at the top of my Favorites List

javascript:history.forward()

For Find on Page:

javascript:(function(){function G(){var pf=doc.getElementById('pf');var qt=doc.getElementById('qt');if(null==pf){pf=doc.createElement('div');pf.id='pf';var s=pf.style;s.position='absolute';s.zIndex='99';s.top=(scT||scBT)+'px';s.left=(scL||scBL)+'px';s.width='100%';s.backgroundColor='#FFFF00';pf.appendChild(doc.createTextNode('Search: '));qt=doc.createElement('input');qt.id='qt';qt.type='text';pf.appendChild(qt);var sb=doc.createElement('input');sb.type='button';sb.value='Find';sb.onclick=function(){P(qt.value)};pf.appendChild(sb);doc.body.appendChild(pf);}else{pf.style.display='inline';count=0;}}function P(s){document.getElementById('pf').style.display='none';if(s==='')return;var n=srchNode(document.body,s.toUpperCase(),s.length);alert("Found "+count+" occurrence"+(count==1?"":"s")+" of '"+s+"'.");pf.parentNode.removeChild(pf);return n;}function srchNode(node,te,len){var pos,skip,spannode,middlebit,endbit,middleclone;skip=0;if(node.nodeType==3){pos=node.data.toUpperCase().indexOf(te);if(pos>=0){spannode=document.createElement("SPAN");spannode.style.backgroundColor="red";middlebit=node.splitText(pos);endbit=middlebit.splitText(len);middleclone=middlebit.cloneNode(true);spannode.appendChild(middleclone);middlebit.parentNode.replaceChild(spannode,middlebit);++count;skip=1;}}else{if(node.nodeType==1&&node.childNodes&&node.tagName.toUpperCase()!="SCRIPT"&&node.tagName.toUpperCase!="STYLE"){for(var child=0;child<node.childNodes.length;++child){child=child+srchNode(node.childNodes[child],te,len);}}}return skip;}var count=0,scL=0,scT=0,scBL=0,scBT=0;var w=window,doc=document;if(typeof doc.body!='undefined'&&typeof doc.body.scrollLeft!='undefined'){scBL=doc.body.scrollLeft;scBT=doc.body.scrollTop;}if(typeof doc.documentElement!='undefined'&&typeof doc.documentElement.scrollLeft!='undefined'){scL=doc.documentElement.scrollLeft;scT=doc.documentElement.scrollTop;}G();})()

The bad news is:

The good news is it's being reported by The Verge, so it's probably not true at all.

The LG-Microsoft alliance was highlighted by LG Mobile's chief executive, Dr. Skott Ahn, using LG's watch-phone to conduct a live video call with Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer. The two companies have committed to release at least 10 LG Windows phones in 2009 and as many as 26 in 2012.

Funny how things can change and deals are suddenly meaningless.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Luckily there's an easy bookmarklet to put the Forward command back.
There's also one for Find on Page that works ok, but not nearly as nice as the original.

Makes no sense why they're gone.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1311086

For Foward, make this a favorite. I saved it as (Forward) so it would be at the top of my Favorites List

For Find on Page:

How do you get these to work again? I copied the code but I forgot where to put it.

CaptainABAB

The two companies have committed to release at least 10 LG Windows phones in 2009 and as many as 26 in 2012.

Actually, I think they have produced that many Win phones - so you can't say they didn't keep their word :)

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I copied it from that page from my Win Phone.
It took a while because I could only highlight so much, then I had to slide the Code box to the left to reveal more code, then highlight more, then slide the box, repeat until all the code was highlighted.

Otherwise you can host a txt file and then you should be able to copy it all at once.
Much like you can copy the older version of the Find on Page code from here:
http://www.1800pocketpc.com/shared_files/Bookmarklets.txt

hwalker84

I copied it from that page from my Win Phone.
It took a while because I could only highlight so much, then I had to slide the Code box to the left to reveal more code, then highlight more, then slide the box, repeat until all the code was highlighted.

Otherwise you can host a txt file and then you should be able to copy it all at once.
Much like you can copy the older version of the Find on Page code from here:
http://www.1800pocketpc.com/shared_files/Bookmarklets.txt

I was doing that method then I got sick of how long it was taking. So I copied from firefox and then pasted into an email which I sent to myself. Copied from there no problems.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yeah I was able to copy the whole thing from this site when dallow posted it, so it's probably the way I pasted it on the email.

jedimike

New convert here. Got my Lumia 900 last week... Actually 3 of them for all my lines. I settled for black rather than waiting for cyan or white.

I've been mostly using android over the last few years and the experience of Windows has been very refreshing and mostly positive.

The only things I miss about android are the browser and flash. The android browser did a great job of resizing text to fit on screen when you zoomed in or out. And I know flash didn't work that well on android but it worked good enough to view videos in browser or apps like Pulse.

I'm gladly giving those up in favor of the Metro UI though... I hope MS gets some momentum going. The Barnes and Noble partnership will help too.

kehs

Banned
Nice phone, both my brother's have one. Wish more people had a chance to live with ICS, Google actually pulled off a decent UI. Size of the phone hurt your experience any?

At times, yeah, even though the screen is boss, it can be odd to handle on occasion, probably stepping down to a 4.3 and handing this off to someone with bigger hands than me.

MCD

Hate when everyone is all "good good good" on shitty apps on the marketplace.

Like that google search app. If you can call it an app anyway.

Commodore

At times, yeah, even though the screen is boss, it can be odd to handle on occasion, probably stepping down to a 4.3 and handing this off to someone with bigger hands than me.

Then why so snarky on the 900's size, or why link to the review where Joe Shmoe reviewer's biggest beef was, big phones suck? Or were you just trying to represent who the iPhone masses of consumers out there would view the Lumia, Hipster and small handed as they are, would be so daunted, unintelligibly mind you, at such a glorious metro UI. I mean, iPhone users are simple creatures at heart, what with their vast hardware options ye olde Apple bestows upon them and all. Android users? Too smart for Windows Phone. Amirite or amirite?

kehs

Banned
Then why so snarky on the 900's size, or why link to the review where Joe Shmoe reviewer's biggest beef was, big phones suck? Or were you just trying to represent who the iPhone masses of consumers out there would view the Lumia, Hipster and small handed as they are, would be so daunted, unintelligibly mind you, at such a glorious metro UI. I mean, iPhone users are simple creatures at heart, what with their vast hardware options ye olde Apple bestows upon them and all. Android users? Too smart for Windows Phone. Amirite or amirite?

The phone didn't need to be so obscenely huge when it's not even pushing a worthwhile screen. Since they unveiled the 900 I've been shitting on it's flat screen and it's excavated internals. Had they left the pentaband antenna in the 800 I'd probably be right here crying with the rest of you about the future of Apollo.

They started the N9's bastardization with the 800 and completely wrung out all of it's essence with the 900.

Commodore

The phone didn't need to be so obscenely huge when it's not even pushing a worthwhile screen. Since they unveiled the 900 I've been shitting on it's flat screen and it's excavated internals. Had they left the pentaband antenna in the 800 I'd probably be right here crying with the rest of you about the future of Apollo.

They started the N9's bastardization with the 800 and completely wrung out all of it's essence with the 900.

I dunno, for the price, pretty solid for what you get. Granted, it IS older tech compared to this years latest stuff. But what you're saying, and maybe I'm stepping out on a limb here; with HD resolution, and Nokia build, you'll give the Windows Phone ecosystem a...6?

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™

this maybe the saltiest post on the interwebs right now. i mean common man, no one is crying about apollo. wer past that, the new thing is dissing the verg. also the 900 is the greatest looking device besides the iphone on the market right now. N8 was DOA, saying anything otherwise is denial, meebo was going nowhere fast. the only "bastardization" that is happening, is taking the default ICS skin and fucking it up with a custom UI. HTC is a prime example of how to take a nice UI and completely fuck it up. there hasn't been a single good OEM ICS skin EVER. and stop crying. if your a man, act like one.

Troll

Banned
New convert here. Got my Lumia 900 last week... Actually 3 of them for all my lines. I settled for black rather than waiting for cyan or white.

I've been mostly using android over the last few years and the experience of Windows has been very refreshing and mostly positive.

The only things I miss about android are the browser and flash. The android browser did a great job of resizing text to fit on screen when you zoomed in or out. And I know flash didn't work that well on android but it worked good enough to view videos in browser or apps like Pulse.

I'm gladly giving those up in favor of the Metro UI though... I hope MS gets some momentum going. The Barnes and Noble partnership will help too.

Welcome.

e:

Wow this guy. Three videos would be too much, I think it is time for him to hang em up.

This is a nice little community, a diamond in the rough on GAF. For the most part the thread is Troll free (with the obvious exception).

If you can't figure anything out or needs tips on good apps feel free to ask.

NeOak

Just select "Buy" and when it goes to the payment confirmation screen, it will indicate that you have already bought the app and just gives the "Install" option.

Thanks for the help. I had downloaded the trial and didnt work, but now that i've downloaded the paid version again it works so far.

PG2G

I wasn't aware of it, but looks like RunKeeper discontinued support for their Windows Phone and Symbian apps because there wasn't enough use to devote time to keeping them up to par. It still works, but is no longer available in Marketplace.

I'm going to migrate over to Endomondo I guess, or does someone know a better running app?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom