• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

-=-=->S P O I L E R S<-=-=- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Spoiler Thread

Pretty sure they are.

When Game Informer was talking about their experience in the Bird Divine Beast, they mentioned a character who made bird puns. I'm assuming this is the ghost of Revali who is guiding you.

yeah, i am sure we interact with the ghosts of the champions. That's going to be very bittersweet.

Caelus

We've had so many magical stasis stuff they need to change it up lol

She's withered into a spirit form by the time we get to Hyrule Castle, which will be the tear-jerking twist.

Most of our interaction with her will probably be in the past, where Link is her chosen knight. I'm assuming we'll be able to play through or at least view our recovered memories. If we get to play through them, that might explain why there are interactable Kokiri.

yeah, i am sure we interact with the ghosts of the champions. That's going to be very bittersweet.

Can't believe we might actually get another Zelda as emotionally resonant and bittersweet as Majora's Mask.

-Horizon-

I mean, it comes with the territory if Zelda has been holding Ganon at bay for a whole century straight without any food or sleep.
Time for spooky skeleton zelda time then :T

She's withered into a spirit form by the time we get to Hyrule Castle, which will be the tear-jerking twist.

Most of our interaction with her will probably be in the past, where Link is her chosen knight. I'm assuming we'll be able to play through or at least view our recovered memories. If we get to play through them, that might explain why there are interactable Kokiri.

Can't believe we might actually get another Zelda as emotionally resonant and bittersweet as Majora's Mask.

I'd be super down for that. Slay ganon and finally let zelda's spirit rest.

Dystify

I requested a title change for the topic to differentiate it more from the preview thread so expect a change soon. Happy spoiling!

Edit: This isn't the title I requested but I kinda expected duckroll to pick something else.

Do we have any confirmation on the number of real dungeons?

From what I've heard 5 main dungeons and 2 mazes, and 120 shrines I believe.

This number seems small but I think with the shrines we'll get plenty of dungeon puzzle solving but in more bite sized pieces scattered across the world.

Caelus

Do we have any confirmation on the number of real dungeons?

We're assured a minimum number of 5, with the four divine beasts and Hyrule Castle. There might be six total since there are five pillars surrounding Hyrule Castle.

I mean, to be honest, I'd love if this game ends on a bittersweet note and has Link and Zelda both dying in the process of defeating Ganon. After all, if it took them a whole century to revitalize Link, then maybe there's some sort of tradeoff? Maybe Link's only allowed to live long enough to finish his goal of defeating Ganon with Princess Zelda?

Plus I think it'd have some emotional resonance that in order to permanently defeat Ganon in this timeline, it'd require both Link and Zelda to lay down their lives too (thus all three wielders of the Triforce go out together) and also see an end to the Royal Family of Hyrule.

My only concern is if Nintendo are actually going to go for that in this game. I could see it going that way- and I could just as easily see it being that Zelda's been in stasis the whole time and that the game's "True Ending" is her and Link defeating Ganon and becoming the new King and Queen of Hyrule, setting out to restore the kingdom to prosperity or whatever.

watershed

Banned
The cutscene mentions the Calamity being sealed by a previous Link and Zelda before the events of 100 years ago and that it was already an established legend before they found out.

My theory is that the game takes place in a converged timeline, but it doesn't actually show the convergence happening. Leaves room for a BOTW prequel that explains the convergence in better detail (or that DLC story). The only problem is that Hyrule Warriors already featured the idea of timelines colliding, so the main Nintendo team probably won't go near that idea.

Maybe it's just super far in the future where they know about all the splits in the legend. If the Sheikah are advanced enough to create cryogenics they're probably aware of alternate universes and whatnot.

I see what you mean but advanced technology is never an indication of timeline placement. Remember, in Skyward Sword, the very first game in terms of timeline features an entire ancient robot society that predates the game itself.

Big One

Banned
Found the cutscene on youtube. Damn that's some spoilery shit.

Who are the four pilots? I recognize the Rito, Goron, and Zora. Who is the other one?

Caelus

Who are the four pilots? I recognize the Rito, Goron, and Zora. Who is the other one?

The Champion's names from the pastebin:

ShoutMsg/Shout_Npc_Darukeru (Daruk)
ShoutMsg/Shout_Npc_Rival (Revali)
ShoutMsg/Shout_Npc_Uruboza
ShoutMsg/Shout_Npc_Mifur (Mipha)

So it looks like "Uruboza" might be the Gerudo girl. Also looks like these are all companion characters at some point.

The Champion's names from the pastebin:

ShoutMsg/Shout_Npc_Darukeru (Daruk)
ShoutMsg/Shout_Npc_Rival (Revali)
ShoutMsg/Shout_Npc_Uruboza
ShoutMsg/Shout_Npc_Mifur (Mipha)

So it looks like "Uruboza" might be the Gerudo girl. Also looks like these are all companion characters at some point.

If we get party members in this game..... holy shit I'm not ready lol

Layell

I've downloaded the leaked cutscene in case it is deleted, for now here is the audio, I will reupload the video in a bit.

quote to reveal.

NewGame

Banned
Lol, Zelda games really can't tell an interesting story everyone immediately guessed the old man was the king of hyrule and that the robots were actually supposed to protect it instead of destroy it. gg anouma should have posted this story on fanfic.net before making a retail game it doesn't help that they just recycle a lot of their designs and plot points. Like people think it's a spoiler that ganondorf is da big bag evil guy.

But if this is your first Zelda game I imagine your mind is being blown all different directions.

Gravidee

I wouldn't mind seeing a couple cutscenes involving the champions and maybe Zelda. But after that, I'm out of here lol.

NewGame

Banned
Video won't play for me. Could someone type out the text?

Old man from the start of the game is the king of hyrule, he tells you about ganondorf showing up and wrecking things in a prophercy. So they built all the robots and guardians to oust ganny when he was predicted to appear. He appears and takes control of the robots, wrecking things. Link and Zelda go with 'champions' (Sages) stop what is happening but everyone dies except Zelda. Zelda does some sort of statis time lock thing- freezing everything in place until you can be resurrected 100 years later.

GET THE SAGES

GO TO ZELDA

BEAT GANONDORF

wow so unique, so story, very new

RRockman

Banned
~insert salty summary here~

Dude chill. Don't even know the ending or how the story is experienced yet and that's what truly matters.

It was sad to learn that all of the Champions got rekt like that. I assume they continue to pilot as ghosts, Once you purify the beasts?

I still can't get over the fact that we have super robots in zelda now. I'm grinning like an idiot.

Dude chill. Don't even know the ending or how the story is experienced yet and that's what truly matters.

It was sad to learn that all of the GuardianSgot rekt like that. I assume they continue to pilot as ghosts? Once you purify the beasts?

I still can't get over the fact that we have super robots in zelda now.

"Salty" is the most meaningless, bs buzzword

Caelus

idk man, I don't know anyone who was expecting more from a Zelda story considering an intricate narrative has never been a part of the series, not even Majora's Mask. I'm just glad the story has a more somber tone and the character interaction looks promising.

idk man, I don't know anyone who was expecting more from a Zelda story considering an intricate narrative has never been a part of the series, not even Majora's Mask. I'm just glad the story has a more somber tone and the character interaction looks promising.

Zelda will always need the "things" that you need to help you through the journey, the setting in this game is one of the more interesting ones and we only predicted because of the heavy story trailer, before there no one said anything about that. People were saying that the old man was ganon too, so sometimes people are bound to predict things?

The last of us has the most generic setup of a zombie game, but the storytelling in that game is great.

Forkball

This really looks like it takes place far after AoL. They seem to be largely unaware of the whole, you know, LEGEND OF ZELDA thing and are surprised to learn she's important. Also it doesn't seem to explain where Calamity Ganon came from or how he just randomly took over the castle.

As for the whole champion/pilot thing, does that mean this leak is legit? It mentions the ideas that the champions will pilot the giant mechs, unless this is old info.

The (rumoured) dungeons are:

Greatwing Dungeon - Sky of Hyrule - Wind Blight Ganon - Breath of Wind - Piloted by Reevali
Charscale Dungeon - Death Mountain Summit - Fire Blight Ganon - Breath of Fire - Piloted by Daruk
Dunepaw Dungeon - South Dragon's Exile - Dust Blight Ganon - Breath of Dust - Piloted by Niira (the Gerudo Girl)
Stormhoof Dungeon - Lake Altun Shore - Water Blight Ganon - Breath of Water - Piloted by Mipha
Temple of the Goddess - Necluda Spire - Malice
Hyrule Castle - Hyrule Castle - Calamity Ganon - Breath of Renewal

Along with the runes you get rune upgrades which extend the time limits some runes have or add power.

The rest of traditional Zelda items are weapons, there are several boomerang and hammer variations, and the hookshot might be replaced with a hook-arrow for use with the bow, as gameplay footage with the desert mount might imply. We're not entirely sure though.

NewGame

Banned

Qibble; Majora's Mask and Links Awakening were profoundly different in theme and presentation. Wind Waker also tried to deviate more with mixed results.

I would of rather found all this out by exploration and reading the little text boxes on items than listen to some garbage anime voice over exposition everything to me- heck I was expecting to play more of a detective role in this game but NOPE full on cutscene and voice overs is what you get.

At least the gameplay is promising to be bonkers amazing. There better be a 'skip cutscene' button.

gafneo

Banned
So does Ganon remain a massive fart cloud in the game or does he eventually take a physical form?
Yeah, looks like you fight bore Ganon on foot with his boomerang spears by the sound of the Data leaks. The blight form and Moblins that are in his image are skinny as hell and have long noses. Hope that's not his final look. Want him to be fat like in the Snes game.

Old man from the start of the game is the king of hyrule, he tells you about ganondorf showing up and wrecking things in a prophercy. So they built all the robots and guardians to oust ganny when he was predicted to appear. He appears and takes control of the robots, wrecking things. Link and Zelda go with 'champions' (Sages) stop what is happening but everyone dies except Zelda. Zelda does some sort of statis time lock thing- freezing everything in place until you can be resurrected 100 years later.

GET THE SAGES

GO TO ZELDA

BEAT GANONDORF

I understand what you're saying, but from interviews we've heard they say that Zelda can get mad at you. So at the very least you'll be able to interact with her in some capacity

Eliseo

Qibble; Majora's Mask and Links Awakening were profoundly different in theme and presentation. Wind Waker also tried to deviate more with mixed results.

I would of rather found all this out by exploration and reading the little text boxes on items than listen to some garbage anime voice over exposition everything to me- heck I was expecting to play more of a detective role in this game but NOPE full on cutscene and voice overs is what you get.

At least the gameplay is promising to be bonkers amazing. There better be a 'skip cutscene' button.

Oh damn, I didn't know this was exclusive to anime.

Caelus

The main story of Majora's Mask and Link's Awakening are explained in cutscenes and exposition by main characters as well. In the former, the more compelling elements were the side stuff. One could complete the main story of Majora's Mask without doing any of the Clock Town sidequests, but that's boring. And it'd be boring to finish the main quest in this game too, without recovering all your memories and helping out the people of Hyrule from the natural disasters caused by the Divine Beasts.

The whole legends and fairy tales being passed from generation to generation in the cutscene makes me think this is pretty much the Downfall Timeline.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
"That's a nice army you have there, would be a shame if something were to happen to it."
-Ganon.

Very typical Zelda, prophecy yada yada, Ganon, chosen hero, yada yada :/

Cutscenes look great tho, lip sync is fucking terrible but yea they look great.

Top Bottom