• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 41, 2016 (Oct 10 - Oct 16)

I can and I did. PSVR has only sold through to 1.53% of the PS4 base in Japan. The thing was sold out in 10 minutes.

That's actually not bad, if PSVR can sell 1.5% to the over 45m PS4 owners that's already a success in VR Territory.

Over 675K at launch, better than Rift or Vive.

Just a estimate btw.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Paper Mario bombing (in Japan) is probably a good thing.

Since we're nearing a console transition (with presumed raised expectations in production values and associated costs), do we actually have a listing of what Nintendo IPs succeeded and failed this generation?

Like something with games like Splatoon and Fire Emblem in one bucket, Codename Steam and Paper Mario in the other, and then maybe a more middleground "Harder to say" category.

duckroll

Hmmmm. The PSVR numbers are somewhat decent considering it is an expensive peripheral with limited software and not a lot of appeal in Japan at all. I feel that the 51k we're looking at here are likely to be strong contenders for people who would also be getting a PS4 Pro on the first week of release.

Sterok

Since we're nearing a console transition (with presumed raised expectations in production values and associated costs), do we actually have a listing of what Nintendo IPs succeeded and failed this generation?

Like something with games like Splatoon and Fire Emblem in one bucket, Codename Steam and Paper Mario in the other, and then maybe a more middleground "Harder to say" category.

I'd say something like this (accounting for notable older series relative to past successes and new IPs):

Big Winners:

*Splatoon
*Fire Emblem
*Tomodachi
*Pushmo

Slight Win or Neutral

*Pokemon
*Animal Crossing
*Smash
*Kid Icarus
*Xenoblade

Noticeably Weaker, Still Strong (Install base issues)

*Mario (Platformers/Kart)
*Zelda
*Kirby
*Style Savvy
*Rhythm Heaven

Very Hurt, Recoverable

*Mario RPG (Paper/ M&L)
*Mario Party
*Mario Sports
*Pokemon Mystery Dungeon
*Nintendogs
*Donkey Kong
*Yoshi
*Pikmin
*Nintendogs

Big Losers:

*Metroid
*Star Fox
*Wii_
*Nintendo Land (not in sales, but completely failed to pull a Wii Sports)
*Brain Age
*The Wonderful 101
*Code Name Steam
*Tokyo Mirage Sessions

Where Are They?:

*Wario

Missed some stuff, but that should be most things people care about, aren't super niche (Fatal Frame/small eshop releases), and weren't already dead last gen (F-Zero).

Strings

Suck to say, but I am glad Paper Mario bombed. It's a beautiful game of course, but the mechanics need to seriously change or go back to its roots.

Yeah, it's petty, but I completely agree.

I just hope Nintendo takes away the right message from this ('people don't care about this Paper Mario' NOT 'people don't care about Paper Mario').

jrcbandit

I doubt physical sales of PS VR games will ever amount to anything. I highly regret getting two physical games because who wants to get up and switch discs while wearing the headset? Although with physical you still get the advantage of 20% off at launch via BB/Amazon and can resell as used. Trade offs....

Oregano

Sticker Star did well though AFAIK. It definitely did in Japan.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Being an expensive peripheral, 50K is not bad.
But I also expect it to sell more at launch, being front-loaded (to me is more appealing to the tech-whore than to the mass market), with no impact on PS4 weekly sales and with very low impact in the software chart (even if there will be PSN sales) seems to point to a non-impacting item for the Japanese videogame market, imho.

duckroll

Being an expensive peripheral, 50K is not bad.
But I also expect it to sell more at launch, being front-loaded (to me is more appealing to the tech-whore than to the mass market), with no impact on PS4 weekly sales and with very low impact in the software chart (even if there will be PSN sales) seems to point to a non-impacting item for the Japanese videogame market, imho.

The impact will be on the PS4 Pro next month. That's another niche product for Japan as an overpriced premium model of a console that doesn't have amazing demand as it is. If VR means they can push 50k more of that in Japan, it's sort of a win.

Mory Dunz

I'd say something like this (accounting for notable older series relative to past successes and new IPs):

Big Winners:

*Splatoon
*Fire Emblem
*Tomodachi
*Pushmo

Slight Win or Neutral

*Pokemon
*Animal Crossing
*Smash
*Kid Icarus
*Xenoblade

*Zelda
*Kirby
*Style Savvy
*Rhythm Heaven

Very Hurt, Recoverable

*Mario RPG (Paper/ M&L)
*Mario Party
*Mario Sports
*Pokemon Mystery Dungeon
*Nintendogs
*Donkey Kong
*Yoshi
*Pikmin
*Nintendogs

Big Losers:

*Metroid
*Star Fox
*Wii_
*Brain Age
*The Wonderful 101
*Code Name Steam
*Tokyo Mirage Sessions

Where Are They?:

*Wario

Missed some stuff, but that should be most things people care about, aren't super niche (Fatal Frame/small eshop releases), and weren't already dead last gen (F-Zero).

Mario Party 10 pulled good numbers on the Wii U for what it was imo. Did not expect that much imo. The handheld ones tho? Not sure, hard to judge I guess.

Considering install bases, I think "Mario" did well. NSMB, 3D World, & Mario Maker held their own. Kart has it's highest attach ratio and wii U. So it's an interesting situation.

Woolly World did pretty well, which maybe saved yoshi after new 3ds yoshi. So I'd move it up.

I'd agree with Zelda. It was weaker. It did manage to have some successful spinoffs at least. Also, all the remakes did well. OoT, WWHD was bundled, MM, TPHD. Hmm, maybe remasters in general should be a category. Like SF643D

Luigi's Mansion needs to be in big winners. Unless that's Mario. But I already said mario should be higher in neutral

Think I mostly agree with everything overall.

Atreides

From the point of view of a expensive periferal, 50K is not bad. But from the point of view of hardware that games are developed for, 50K doesn't look too good. Is 50K a good start for a sustainable install base? Still, since it was heavily supply constrained, we'll have to wait more and see if it can have a decent level of weekly sales.

Aren't Oculus+Vive estimated to be around 300-400k mark on steam?
In that context 50k in Japan alone is big by VR standards.

But the software sales look really bad - it suggests most of those VR units were bought for future potential.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Very Hurt, Recoverable

*Mario RPG (Paper/ M&L)
*Mario Party
*Mario Sports
*Pokemon Mystery Dungeon
*Nintendogs
*Donkey Kong
*Yoshi
*Pikmin
*Nintendogs

Big Losers:

*Metroid
*Star Fox
*Wii_
*Brain Age
*The Wonderful 101
*Code Name Steam
*Tokyo Mirage Sessions

Where Are They?:

*Wario

Thanks for the listing. So, out of these, I would say the main ones at risk of not getting another entry in the foreseeable future (in favor of the ones I didn't quote) would be the entirety of the Big Losers category.

Most of the stuff in "Very Hurt" still have actively announced sequels or ports that we'll have to see released in order to judge them. Nintendogs is probably a dead end though, at least on their dedicated devices.

Donkey Kong I could see not coming out for a while, but I feel at least half of that is a "Who do we get to make this?" issue if they decided to let Retro do something else.

I'm expecting them to at least give another go at Paper Mario and/or Mario & Luigi given Sticker Star did well and Mario & Luigi has done so well historically.

I'm also not expecting another Kid Icarus game, but I could be wrong.

Very happy with the soft Monster Hunter Stories' drop. It will be interesting to see where it ends up.
I think if it can get to 400-500K LTD, that would be delivering another meaningful product line for Capcom, which is something they haven't had in quite some time.

duckroll

Slight Win or Neutral

*Pokemon
*Animal Crossing
*Smash
*Kid Icarus
*Xenoblade

On what scale is Smash not a big win? They identified early on that Japan would not be big on consoles anymore, launched two versions, sold over 3 million. In doing so there is now a huge portable base for the entry regardless of what the NX is.

"Slight win" lol.

Mory Dunz

On what scale is Smash not a big win? They identified early on that Japan would not be big on consoles anymore, launched two versions, sold over 3 million. In doing so there is now a huge portable base for the entry regardless of what the NX is.

"Slight win" lol.

that too...I missed that one.

What other AAA franchise has increased in sales with each iteration? (sales combined)
I can't think of one. Has GTA? idk

casiopao

Big Winners:

*Splatoon
*Fire Emblem
*Tomodachi
*Pushmo

Slight Win or Neutral

*Pokemon
*Animal Crossing
*Smash
*Kid Icarus
*Xenoblade

*Zelda
*Kirby
*Style Savvy
*Rhythm Heaven

Very Hurt, Recoverable

*Mario RPG (Paper/ M&L)
*Mario Party
*Mario Sports
*Pokemon Mystery Dungeon
*Nintendogs
*Donkey Kong
*Yoshi
*Pikmin
*Nintendogs

Big Losers:

*Metroid
*Star Fox
*Wii_
*Brain Age
*The Wonderful 101
*Code Name Steam
*Tokyo Mirage Sessions

Where Are They?:

*Wario
Umm Game and Wario?

Hyrule Warriors is a great hit though?

Very happy with the soft Monster Hunter Stories' drop. It will be interesting to see where it ends up.

^_^ Agree. I guess the great WoM is doing really well. And of course the simple fact that the game does had great qualities is also pushing for more longer legs.

Asking you where Eren is.

Me no likey husbando lol.......Armin can be a good waifu though.

L~A

Guys, the first trailer for Bravely Third has been uploaded on YouTube! ... ok, it's just The Alliance Alive.
But it looks like it has the budget Squeenix would give it if they ever greenlit BT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aBqWo_KyHU&feature=youtu.be

Producer and Director: Masataka Matsuura
Art Director: Masayo Asano
Character Design: Ryo Hirao
Game Design: Kyoji Koizumi
Scenario: Yoshitaka Murayama
Composer: Masashi Hamauzu
Monster Design: Yuuichiro Kojima, Tomoyuki Sato, Ryoji Shimogama, Noriko Sasaki
Movie Director: Shuhei Yamagata
Storyboard: Ryoichi Kaida
Sound Editor: Kenichi Saito
Background Design: Misako Tsutsui, Nobuhiro Imagawa, Rena Sasaki, Airi Yoshioka
Title Logo Design: Tadahiko Kawaguchi
Development: Cattle Call
Promotion Support: Tokyo Soko Inc.

casiopao

Guys, the first trailer for Bravely Third has been uploaded on YouTube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aBqWo_KyHU&feature=youtu.be

... ok, it's just The Alliance Alive.
But it looks like it has the budget Squeenix would give it if they ever greenlit BT.

Lol. L-A u monster.T_T I immediately open the trailer and found Alliance lol. I still want that Bravely Third.T_T

If 100k games are great hits, then sure.

I thought we are talking overall Worldwide performance? if Japan only then yeah it is just okay.

Sterok

"Slight win" lol.
I was talking worldwide sales. Brawl sold over 13 million, and Smash 4 is slightly above Brawl now. Well I suppose the final total will be notably above Brawl, so given the install base that can be seen as a big win.

For Pokemon it's hard to see it has a big increase unless Sun and Moon beat Diamond and Pearl. Though yeah, Go is a big win for the overall franchise.

I also completely forgot about Game & Wario's existence. Which should probably say something about the state of Warioware.

L~A

Lol. L-A u monster.T_T I immediately open the trailer and found Alliance lol. I still want that Bravely Third.T_T

I thought the very fact that Squeenix would even announce a Bravely Third was an obvious enough red flag... then again, Asano DID tease something recently, my bad.

Ricky 7

Have they stopped making Wii Us or is it just selling really bad? I remember reading somewhere that they were going to stop production in October.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Slight Win or Neutral

*Pokemon
*Animal Crossing
*Smash
*Kid Icarus
*Xenoblade

Slight win for the best selling games of this gen? AC is a big win, selling 5m on 3DS when most other casual oriented last gen IPs took a nosedive this transition. Smash Bros. is a big sucess alone because it show that the IP is viable on handhelds as well, introduced Amiibos and probably made a lot of DLC money - considering they were able to introduce characters like Ryu and Cloud months after release.

dracula_x

Perpherals have before (FDS, PCE CD-ROM2, Mega CD, etc). And those were also considered platforms onto themselves, it's too bad we don't have anything more recent for comparison.

those were released more than 20 years ago... I'm not sure if this correct comparison

antibolo

Banned
Aren't Oculus+Vive estimated to be around 300-400k mark on steam?
In that context 50k in Japan alone is big by VR standards.

But the software sales look really bad - it suggests most of those VR units were bought for future potential.

There are barely any physical PSVR games so far.

Maxinas

I was talking worldwide sales. Brawl sold over 13 million, and Smash 4 is slightly above Brawl now. Well I suppose the final total will be notably above Brawl, so given the install base that can be seen as a big win.

For Pokemon it's hard to see it has a big increase unless Sun and Moon beat Diamond and Pearl. Though yeah, Go is a big win for the overall franchise.

I also completely forgot about Game & Wario's existence. Which should probably say something about the state of Warioware.

Smash 4 also has DLC, which i assume resulted in some noteworthy profit. Lets not forget smash 4 was the reason amiibos took off in the first place.

Was there an announcement for 45m PS4's?

"Just a estimate btw."

Should have made it clearer sorry.

I base PS4 sales by 1m units sold a month, since we knew PS4 had been at 40m since May. We can say 1m PS4's where sold each following month till now. That's how I got my estimate of 45m.

Vena

This should be a fun post-mortem:

Big Winners:
- Splatoon: Splatoon
- Fire Emblem: WW popularity surge, DLC, and multiple versions.
- Tomodachi: Explosion in Europe.
- Smash Bros: DLC, handheld market.
- Pokemon: GO exposure, nostalgia for Gen 1, S&M doing everything right (?)
- Animal Crossing: Cards/DLC, unending legs worldwide, and a successful spin-off (what is this AC:AF you speak of?).
- El Capitan Todd: Spin-off out of nowhere that could easily spawn a healthy side franchise for Nintendo.

Slightly Big Winners out of Nowhere Because of Their Inclusion in Smash and Becoming Part of the Lexicon in a Comedic Sort of Way:
- Bayonetta's DLC
- Bayonetta Reprint.
- Kirby in Bayonetta's hair.

Neutral:
- Kid Icarus: Revived and cult-classic, timely success with launch.
- Xenoblade: Steady performance (though down to WiiU in Japan), found some form of successes in the West. Ports. Was already a small brand but didn't really decline or increase much at all.
- Mario et al: Kart did great, Party continued to "perform", but other spin-offs struggled. I'd call it a net zero.
- Kirby: Some entries did well, others not so much. Seems more like a continued flat-stable franchise for the most part. Triple Deluxe even got a spin-off from its side-mode.
- Yoshi: Hurt by poor 3DS entries, helped by a very strong WiiU entry.
- Pushmo: I don't think its really changed, it's more of a "steady brand".
- BOXBOY: A little hit, does well enough on the eShop to warrant sequels.
- Fatal Frame: ?????????? It exists?

Noticeably Weaker, Still Strong (Install base issues):
- Zelda: Its a huge brand but the WiiU and lack of strong hits has definitely dragged it down. ALBW did well though, as did Majora's Mask.
- Style Savvy/Rhythm Heaven: These were hurt by delays and a lack of exposure to the more casual market that would have enjoyed them more.
- Pikmin: Continues to... be.

Very Hurt, Recoverable:
- Mario RPG (Paper/ M&L): Definitely hurt by the end of the generation.
- Donkey Kong: WiiU hurt here badly, as did the delay and the "fucking Donkey Kong" narrative.

Big Losers:
- Nintendogs: ded
- Metroid: Coma. That said, I think a solid entry would revive it.
- Star Fox: ded
- Chibi-Robo: ded
- Wii_: ded
- Brain Age: ded
- The Wonderful 101: ded
- Code Name Steam: lolded
- Tokyo Mirage Sessions: I actually am not sure. It sold bad but its external media did well, so who knows. Its got a following but purely on game terms it did very badly.

Have Become Smash Characters from Dead or Failed/Hurt Brands:
- F-Zero/Captain Falcon
- Mother/Ness and Lucas
- Ryu

There, including some analysis of why I put what where and such.

Vena

uh oh I feel a storm coming

It's such an obvious bait that I hope noone bites lol

I mean, its the very last line. :p If Kirby can eat it, its fair game!

eJzOM48.jpg

The last time a franchise came and went through Kirby's copy ability, it died a few years later.
Snake

Ōkami

PlayStation Store Rankings [Oct 10 - Oct 16]

PS4

01/NEW. KITCHEN [PlayStation VR] (Capcom) – {13/10/2016} (¥100)
02/NEW. Summer Lesson [PlayStation VR] (Bandai Namco) – {13/10/2016} (¥2.980)
03/NEW. Rez Infinite (SEGA) – {13/10/2016} (¥3.400)

04/06. Grand Theft Auto V (Take Two Interactive Japan) – {11/12/2014} (¥5.394)
05/NEW. PlayStation VR Worlds [PlayStation VR] (SIE) – {13/10/2016} (¥5.292)
06/07. Blazblue: Central Fiction (Arc System Works) – {06/10/2016} (¥6.264)
07/NEW. The Idolm@ster: Viewing Revolution [PlayStation VR] (Bandai Namco) – {13/10/2016} (¥2.480)
08/20. Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster (Square Enix) – {14/05/2015} (¥4.936)
09/05. Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition (SCE) – {25/12/2014} (¥2.592)
10/NEW. Batman: Arkham VR [PlayStation VR] (Warner Interactive Japan) – {13/10/2016} (¥2.678)
11/NEW. Until Dawn: Rush of Blood [PlayStation VR] (SIE) – {13/10/2016} (¥2.160)
12/00. Persona 5 (Atlus) – {15/09/2016} (¥8.800)
13/NEW. Hatsune Miku: Future Live – All Stage Pack [PlayStation VR] (SEGA) – {13/10/2016} (¥7.560)
14/NEW. Rise of the Tomb Raider (Square Enix) – {13/10/2016} (¥6.264)

15/14. Resident Evil 6 (Capcom) – {29/03/2016} (¥2.800)
16/15. Salt and Sanctuary (Ska Studios) – {18/08/2016} (¥1.780)
17/01. FIFA 17 (Electronic Arts) – {29/09/2016} (¥8.424)
18/NEW. RIGS: Machine Combat League [PlayStation VR] (SIE) – {13/10/2016} (¥7.452)
19/13. Tales of Berseria (Bandai Namco) – {18/08/2016} (¥6.600)
20/NEW. Layers of Fear: Masterpiece Edition (Intergrow) – {13/10/2016} (¥3.000)

Vita

01/02. The Legend of Heroes: Sora no Kiseki SC Evolution (Kadokawa) – {10/12/2015} (¥5.184)
02/NEW. Kangokutou Mary-Skelnter (Compile Heart) – {13/10/2016} (¥6.480)
03/04. The Legend of Heroes: Sora no Kiseki FC Evolution (Kadokawa) – {11/06/2015} (¥5.184)
04/08. The Legend of Heroes: Ao no Kiseki Evolution (Kadokawa) – {12/06/2014} (¥5.184)
05/05. Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment (Bandai Namco) – {24/04/2014} (¥1.728)
06/01. Demon Gaze II (Marvelous) – {29/09/2016} (¥6.264)
07/07. Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition (SCE) – {29/10/2014} (¥2.592)
08/11. The Legend of Heroes: Zero no Kiseki Evolution (Kadokawa) – {18/10/2012} (¥2.592)
09/15. Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster Twin Pack (Square Enix) – {26/12/2013} (¥6.583)
10/09. Persona 4: Golden (PlayStation Vita the Best) (Atlus) – {05/02/2015} (¥3.980)
11/12. Romancing SaGa 2 (Square Enix) – {24/03/2016} (¥2.200)
12/00. Final Fantasy X HD Remaster (Square Enix) – {26/12/2013} (¥3.703)
13/03. Utawarerumono: Futari no Hakuoro (Aquaplus) – {21/09/2016} (¥6.480)
14/19. Severed (Drinkbox Studios) – {06/10/2016} (¥1.458)
15/06. Ridge Racer (PlayStation Vita the Best) (Bandai Namco) – {25/04/2013} (¥3.024)
16/00. Caligula (35% OFF) (FuRyu) – {23/06/2016} (¥4.485)
17/20. Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Nihon Falcom) – {21/07/2016} (¥6.200)
18/00. Terraria (Spike Chunsoft) – {06/02/2014} (¥2.057)
19/00. Call of Duty: Black Ops – Declassified (Square Enix) – {20/12/2012} (¥3.024)
20/00. Touhou: Genso Wanderer (Mediascape) – {25/06/2015} (¥3.240)

PS3

01/01. Blazblue: Central Fiction (Arc System Works) – {06/10/2016} (¥6.264)
02/02. Minecraft: PlayStation 3 Edition (Mojang) – {24/06/2014} (¥2.592)
03/04. Persona 5 (Atlus) – {15/09/2016} (¥8.800)
04/03. Resident Evil 4 (Capcom) – {30/08/2016} (¥1.000)
05/07. Tales of Berseria (Bandai Namco) – {18/08/2016} (¥8.856)
06/08. Winning Eleven 2017 (Konami) – {15/09/2016} (¥7.128)
07/10. Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme VS Full Boost (PlayStation 3 the Best) (Bandai Namco) – {28/05/2015} (¥4.104)
08/06. Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition (Capcom) – {29/03/2012} (¥1.000)
09/18. Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster (Square Enix) – {26/12/2013} (¥4.937)
10/00. Grand Theft Auto V (Take-Two Interactive Japan) – {18/12/2013} (¥5.389)
11/05. FIFA 17 (Electronic Arts) – {29/09/2016} (¥8.424)
12/00. Watch Dogs (Ubisoft) – {26/06/2014} (¥3.564)
13/11. Utawarerumono: Futari no Hakuoro (Aquaplus) – {21/09/2016} (¥6.480)
14/14. Tales of Zestiria (Welcome Price!) (Bandai Namco) – {07/07/2016} (¥3.672)
15/09. Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational (PlayStation Vita the Best) (SIE) – {10/10/2013} (¥2.376)
16/00. Goat Simulators (Double Eleven) – {07/10/2015} (¥1.000)
17/00. Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag (Ubisoft) – {28/11/2013} (¥2.592)
18/17. Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2016 (Konami) – {28/04/2016} (¥7.538)
19/12. Resident Evil 6 (PlayStation 3 The Best) (Capcom) – {06/03/2014} (¥3.024)
20/19. Battlefield 4 (75% OFF) (Electronic Arts) – {07/11/2013} (¥756)

Top Bottom