• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the biggest drop in quality between a game and its immediate follow-up?

Phediuk

I remember Alundra 2 being some pretty hot garbage. The first Alundra may have been a Zelda clone, but I liked it more than most of the actual Zelda games. It's like the second one went out of its way to remove everything that was good about the original.

Toxi

Banned
Metroid Prime Trilogy to Metroid Other M.

Really a shame that what should have been 3D Metroid's first step into a new style after Prime's last hurrah ended up being that.

Fdkn

Final Fantasy IX (best mainline) to Final Fantasy X (worst mainline not counting II I guess)

I know it's not a popular opinion, but that's how I feel >.>

gbland

Probably not the biggest drop in quality but what really annoyed me was Star Wars The Force Unleashed 2. It did not improve on story, gameplay, and the skills were much crappier compared to the original. That was my biggest disappointment between the original and its sequel off the top of my head.

Yazzees

Not the biggest drop but one I feel like mentioning: the drop from Donkey Kong Country 2 to 3 was jarring even when I was an uncritical 8-year-old.

Opa-Pa

Metroid Prime 3 -> Other M was probably the worst offender to me.

Dark Souls -> DkS2 was abysmal too IMO, but obviously not THAT bad.

Mael

Metroid Prime Trilogy to Metroid Other M? (2009 to 2010 after all)
Super Metroid to Metroid Other M?
You get the point.

Otherwise...
Super Mario 64 to Super Mario Sunshine is shocking.
Animal Crossing Wild World to Animal Crossing Let's Go to the City is too (then again AC doesn't really works on console)
e:
Metroid Prime Trilogy to Metroid Other M.

Really a shame that what should have been 3D Metroid's first step into a new style after Prime's last hurrah ended up being that.

beaten by a spider!

L Thammy

Does Vampire Saviour 2 count? Because it's literally just Vampire Saviour with some of the characters switched out for old ones and a number slapped into the title.
There was also Vampire Hunter 2, which was the same thing but with different characters again.

My personal opinion says xenoblade to xenoblade X.

From potentially my favourite jrpg of all time to a pile of stinking garbage that I couldn't enjoy any part of.
More objectively from what I've played, probably prime 3 to other m.

-shadow-

Super Mario Bros. > Super Mario Bros. 2

Don't get me wrong, it's not really terrible, but being sandwiched between the original and the ridiculously well done 3 just makes it really obvious.

Deepo

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2.

Maybe not the biggest drop, but the first one was onto something. 2nd one, not so much.

Mael

Another one would be Yoshi's Island to Yoshi Story
From game of the forever to a steaming pile of junk that gets boring in an afternoon.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Wasn't Saints Row The Third the one that everyone loved? With the Kanye West song and everything?

Anyway the answer is Dark Souls.

Top Bottom