• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the biggest drop in quality between a game and its immediate follow-up?

GT5: Prologue to GT5
Still can't believe we went from a snappy, beutiful game with great menus to a slow, bloated, ugly, unfinished mess that was GT5

Rektash

Fallout 2-> Fallout 3

Fire emblem RD -> Fire Emblem SD

As someone who started playing Fallout with F1 and F2, the drop in quality from F2 to F3 is nowhere near as bad as the drop from F3/NV to F4.

F3 was a perfectly playable open world RPG with lots of Bethesda baggage. Not exactly a good Fallout game, but hey it was kinda enjoyable for the most part. F4 is a disaster that does exactly one thing well: Exploration. Every other facet of the game falls flat on its face.

NoKisum

Lunar: Eternal Blue to Lunar: Dragon Song
Def Jam: Fight for NY to Def Jam ICON
Grandia II to Grandia III

Ratrat

Really? I'm pretty sure after I played 2 I thought it was an improved experience in almost every way. Please elaborate, I'm genuinely curious.
Im sure its been said a million times, but they removed the rpg aspects from the gameplay and turned it into a VERY mediocre tps. The story went nowhere and the new characters were mostly forgettable or unlikable. Its not a horrible game but failed to build on the first one.

4Tran

The correct answer is Master of Orion 2 to Master of Orion 3. The former is the most beloved game in the Space 4X genre and an instant classic and the sequel is an unplayable mess. For whatever you can say about games like Other M, at least they function as games whereas Master of Orion 3 does not.

jelly

Really? I'm pretty sure after I played 2 I thought it was an improved experience in almost every way. Please elaborate, I'm genuinely curious.

Mass Effect 2 to me did third person shooting and control far better and overall more refined but my god did you walk down corridors and shoot things over and over again.

Mass Effect 1 was an experience and grand adventure sci fi mystery, dodgy controls and other issues aside but didn't always feel like my mission was head down shooting gallery corridor on repeat like ME2.

It's a toss up between the Mako and scanning planets because the Mako was a pain in the arse and scanning planets was soul destroying.

Silent Hill Origins --> Silent Hill Homecoming
Origins wasn't too hot, but it was decent. But Homecoming was the absolute drizzling shits. Oof

Mass Effect 2 to me did third person shooting and control far better and overall more refined but my god did you walk down corridors and shoot things over and over again.

Mass Effect 1 was an experience and grand adventure sci fi mystery, dodgy controls and other issues aside but didn't always feel like my mission was head down shooting gallery corridor on repeat like ME2.

It's a toss up between the Mako and scanning planets because the Mako was a pain in the arse and scanning planets was soul destroying.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with this. Instead of trying to fix the rough parts of ME1, they just stripped them out and dumbed everything down in 2.

Fisty

Lunar: Eternal Blue to Lunar: Dragon Song
Def Jam: Fight for NY to Def Jam ICON
Grandia II to Grandia III

I've seen some silly stuff in this thread but I cannot let this stand. Yeah the plot was pure balls but dat combat... too good. Once you get the warp boots everything just becomes a joy to fight

All of these. ME2 is a really good game but they kicked the atmosphere to the curb.

ME1 to ME2 is basically Alien to Aliens though. The quality doesn't drop, but it flipped the tone and style of the first game on its head.

It goes from epic space opera in the fantastical, 70's/80's like, bright and clean Sci Fi, very much in the vein of 2001 a Space Odyssey and Star Trek, which ME2 changed to character driven, darker, seedier and more intimate short stories in the style of more cynical, almost grubby and relatively grounded 80's/90's stuff like Blade Runner and Farscape.

Personally I prefer the later, but I understand why people prefer the former. ME1 or 2 is just picking what flavour of awesome you like.

Now ME3, that was a dramatic drop in quality.

It Just pissed away all semblance of a coherent universe and internal logic, stripped out most of the narrative and character driven writing that made the first 2 games great, and replaced it with space magic hand holding toss, and replaced the rpg, personalising choices with more shooty shooty bang bang. Tuchanka, Rannoch and the Citadel DLC aside, ME3 was an at best mediocre shooter, but more often than not boring, annoying and massively disappointing.

Some good ones in here. Ya'll are definitely right with DaO to Da2, and especially Deus Ex -> Invis War.

I'll add another one.

Dead Space 2 to Dead Space 3

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Does every thread have to get sidetracked by the Mass Effect 1 fanaticism?

How much trouble do I get in, if I try to add MvC2 ---> Marvel vs Capcom 3 to the discussion?

Lanf

Mass Effect 1 to Mass Effect 2

ME2 might be the best work Bioware ever did, their best ensemble of characters for sure.

Anyway, I'll try to be original: SSX3 to SSX on Tour. From the apex of the series into the ravine. Every aspect was worse: the maps, the characters, gameplay, the music and that awful, idiotic high school skate art that was draped all over the game.

ActRaiser_2_box_art.jpg

There's only ever one answer to this one.

Disregarding FFXI due to it being an MMO, FFX > FFXII was, for me, the largest.

FFX was a great RPG with awesome gameplay, story, etc, everything FF should be.

FFXII threw all that away for a pseudo-mmo with a pointless liscence board, characters that are just kind of...there [Balthier excluded] and a system that was mainly auto-battle focused, which is one of my pet peeves in an RPG. I honestly hold FFXII to be one of the worst games i've ever played as such.

At least FFXV looks like it'll be a step back towards FFX.

jdstorm

Banned
Kotor to Kotor 2

The first game is great. The 2nd was so badly made that it took its fans a decade to fix via Mods.

Top Bottom