• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who are the best orators/presenters in the gaming industry?

CrazyHorse

I think there is a lack of good orators in this industry. Or maybe I am overlooking some good ones?

I think Reggie is by far the best. Nintendo never need to get a celeb to do their presentations, because he is exceptional. Iwata was good too.

I think Tretton was pretty great. I actually find Reggie quite annoying, sometimes his presentation feels really staccato and very PRish, rather than a natural flow. He has great moments though.

BY2K

Membero Americo
That one guy that made that one girl orgasm at everything he said during last year's E3 Bethesda Press Conference.

Cels

709.png

in recent years the doritos pope meme has probably overshadowed his ability a bit but he's still great

Dingens

maybe Reggie speaks more to an American audience? because I never got his appeal and find him extremly unlikeable. He is like your typical door salesman who tries to sell you the best snake oil in the country. Often times he likes being portrayed as a gamer, but I don't buy that a bit (compared to say Iwata and Shibata). Srsly how can you guys fall for him? I don't get it

on the other hand, the one NoA person I really liked was the latino guy (sadly I forgot his name) who made even Wii Music sound appealing. I wish they'd have made him the face of NoA

AGoodODST

Reggie is pretty good. Dude always sounds confident in what he's talking about. He definitely has a more corporate persona around him than say, Iwata did (rip) or Shibata does, but it makes it all the more amusing when he does little skits like the Iwata fight or the Yokai Watch dance.

maybe Reggie speaks more to an American audience? because I never got his appeal and find him extremly unlikeable. He is like your typical door salesman who tries to sell you the best snake oil in the country. Often times he likes being portrayed as a gamer, but I don't buy that a bit (compared to say Iwata and Shibata). Srsly how can you guys fall for him? I don't get it

on the other hand, the one NoA person I really liked was the latino guy (sadly I forgot his name) who made even Wii Music sound appealing. I wish they'd have made him the face of NoA

I'm American and don't find Reggie's way of speaking at press conferences enjoyable in the slightest. Just rubs me the wrong way. To counter that I think he's better on the Nintendo Directs I've seen him in.

I also don't much care for Peter Moore because he seems extremely fake. I know he's been in the business a long time but I don't feel he sounds passionate about games as an experience but more as simply a product. Again, he sounds like a sales person.

I do think Sony has had a number of good to great folks with Jack Tretton, Adam Boyes (his nervousness is a fun change of pace), and Andrew House.

I also really like the EA guy that looks like a Ken doll or whatever. He's similar to Peter Moore in that I feel he's more about selling product and less about the gaming aspect, but I prefer his style of presentation.

The only person I can think of I enjoy listening to from Microsoft is Phil Spencer.

NewDust

If we are talking press conferences: Andrew House, Peter Moore, Phil Spencer.
If we are talking presentations on games: Jonathan blow, Rami Ismail.

Squire

Banned
Tretton and Moore are pretty good. Cerny is astonishingly well-spoken for someone in his field. Reggie isn't very good. Always sounds like he's reading from a Teleprompter, trying not to mess up. That's fine, but you have to be able to mask it. I notice everyone in Nintendo Directs sounds like that though.

709.png

in recent years the doritos pope meme has probably overshadowed his ability a bit but he's still great

All that stuff is a badge of honor to me now. It went from memes to cultural signage. Especially when that pic in particular coalesced with the Kojima VGA thing, and how it looped all the way back to the Moby Dick Studios stunt.

Top Bottom