• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Era Rare Vs. Microsoft Era Rare: Which One Was/Is Better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daTRUballin

I'm honestly surprised nobody has made this thread before. I've had this idea for awhile now and I thought it would be an interesting debate/comparison to have to compare these two eras of Rare. Note that we're only comparing the console games during these two eras so handheld games won't count.

Let's try to keep this debate between these two eras only. Pre-Nintendo Rare won't count. So basically let's leave out all the games they made during the Ultimate Play The Game era and leave out all those NES, SNES and Genesis games they made as a third party. The Nintendo era starts with DKC when they became a second party Nintendo developer.

Here's a list of all the games in order of release. Feel free to tell me if you think I've missed something:

Nintendo Era:
Donkey Kong Country
Killer Instinct (SNES)
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
Ken Griffey Jr.'s Winning Run
Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!
Killer Instinct Gold
Blast Corps
Goldeneye 007
Diddy Kong Racing
Banjo Kazooie
Jet Force Gemini
Donkey Kong 64
Perfect Dark
Mickey's Speedway USA
Banjo Tooie
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Star Fox Adventures

VS.

Microsoft Era:
Grabbed by the Ghoulies
Conker: Live & Reloaded
Kameo: Elements of Power
Perfect Dark Zero
Viva Piñata
Jetpac Refuelled
Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise
Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
Kinect Sports
Kinect Sports: Season Two (co-developed with BigPark)
Kinect Sports Rivals
Sea of Thieves (currently in development)

I didn't include Rare Replay because it's just a collection of games, and I didn't include stuff like the new Killer Instinct because it's not made by Rare. Let's try to only include stuff made directly by Rare, shall we?

So which era of games do you choose? Let's begin the debate.
We all know the Nintendo era will win.

I have a feeling this is going to be pretty one-sided...

dkc2.gif

Realeza

Banned
What kind of question is this? Nintendo Rare was one of the best duos in gaming. Nobody gives a fuck about Rare's post N64 games.

Considering DKC and banjo are up there as the greatest platformer a of all time, the answer is simple. Also DKC2 is one of the greatest games of all time, and Golden/Perfect Dark were THE local games of the era.

Microsoft Rare has some good stuff like Viva Piñata, but otherwise it's no contest.

Pudge

I don't know guys, Grabbed by the Ghoulies!

Get it.

Grabbed

by the GHOULIES

Like your testicles.

Yeah it's Nintendo.

Nintendo era, but I still have to give the Microsoft era credit. Can't think of any other developer with that reverse an output during the 360 gen. Rare Replay was a fantastic compilation with a lot of care put into it, and Sea of Thieves looks great.

They were always garbage, it's just that dearth of 3rd party content on Nintendo consoles made them shine brighter since there was very little to compare them to. When they were bought by MS and had to compete with basically the entirety of the western game development scene, it exposed them for the hacks they were.

Nintendo era rare are one of the most overrated developers of all time whilst Viva and Nuts & Bolts were some of the best games of the last generation. Choice is easy.

This is so lopsided, and I enjoyed many of the offerings of Rare during the 360 gen (such as Viva Pinata and Nuts & Bolts).

The N64 era Rare destroys them.

Having not gotten round to a lot of Rare's Nintendo stuff til much later, I honestly prefer the MS output. Viva Pinata series is my personal favourite.

Nintendo selling Rare, coupled with Microsoft's sheer mismanagement of them, will always be one of the worst mistakes in gaming history.

They were always garbage, it's just that dearth of 3rd party content on Nintendo consoles made them shine brighter since there was very little to compare them to. When they were bought by MS and had to compete with basically the entirety of the western game development scene, it exposed them for the hacks they were.

It's gonna be that kind of thread huh.

-shadow-

I do think that Viva Piñata is the best game they've developed, but that one game vs the tons of other amazing stuff they've done the years before? Yeah there's no way that can somehow stand up against that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom