• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

phantom13

Neo Member
Speak of the devil... I just visited Vancouver last weekend. Such a nice city even though I barely got to see anything in those two days. This thread would have been so helpful for restaurant recs, we had no idea where to find the good chinese food!

buhdeh

Firestorm said:
Got a bunch of "homework" to finish up =/ My laptop hard drive crashed and I just realized I never backed up the InDesign version of my resume. Only the uneditable PDF is anywhere. So I am redoing that so I can update it and writing up a work term report all of which was technically due today but definitely won't be done.

So as an FYI for anyone doing SFU's co-op program, it's awesome for experience and I recommend everyone at the school get involved with it but there's annoying paperwork involved x.x

I go to SFU as well.

Which faculty are you in?

sikkinixx

Firestorm said:
Doing a joint major in Interactive Arts & Technology and Communications. You? There's quite a few people from SFU here.

Because it's not towards the end of the world like UBC is, it's just a grey spire of misery (surrounded by beautiful nature)

Big-E

Whoever recommended Dave's fish and chips was wrong. Dave's is horrible and not even the best fish and chips in Steveston. Pajo's shits all over Dave's and then some. In the city itself you can try Go Fish.

Coming back to Steveston, my most underrated and little known restaurant to most people it seems is Tapenade Bistro right off the landing in Steveston. This is a French bistro with great food at both lunch and dinner and all for a reasonable price. Service is excellent and they also offer various wine makers dinners throughout the year. Highly recommend this place as it is one of my favorite places to eat. Website here http://www.tapenade.ca/.

Firestorm

sikkinixx said:
Because it's not towards the end of the world like UBC is, it's just a grey spire of misery (surrounded by beautiful nature)
Most of my classes are in the Surrey campus actually. So it's like being in some high tech, sleek, modern awesomeness surrounded by drug addicts and police.

DarwinMayflower

Neo Member
sikkinixx said:
My dad always raves about Dougie Dog and Meat & Bread. One of these days I should actually head downtown and go.
Meat and Bread the only thing I don't like is how messy it is. I like good sandwiches, I like messy sandwiches but imagine seeing about a 1/4 to 1/3 of your filling pop out because of the composition. Biggest culprit is the ciabbata bread they use. Nothing wrong with the bread itself but in this situation, where 2 of the 4 choices of sandwiches feature a more loose meat filling, the hard crust only helps send the filling flying out than staying in....unless you wrap it. Otherwise it's decent. I like La Magasin/Now MacLean's place for sandwiches in their deli shoppe, but I fucking swear to God they changed the Foccia recipe...there's something different that makes it less crunchy than before, but great value for money there IMHO.

Fish and Chips...well Fortes have a pretty killer recipe, but a tad expensive. We do however have fresh fresh so fresh halibut, a batter recipe actually brought in by a old Fish and Chip guy from England. His parents ran a shop in England until the economy just shat on them, so after he had to sell the place, he came over here...worked at Pickwick's was utter SHIT and won't let him change the recipe, he came over to us to develop our recipe.

However I heard that Whiterock has like some of the best Fish and Chip spots in the lower mainland which I have to check out. Go Fish is good, but I prefer Tony's on the actual Granville Island. For a treat going to english bay I like stopping by over at Raincity Grill at Denman and Davie and just ordering from their take out before I head out onto the beach.

As for Dim Sum, best I tasted so far is in Richmond. Jade Seafood Restaurant 8511 Alexandra Road, Richmond which has nice Dim Sum, kind of a classy joint but not to haute like Kirin. If not that I usually go to Top Cantonese on Kingsway for my fix.

Big-E

I feel that so far one area that has been neglected is the Drive. I like the Drive as that is where my home is and it is a good place to see though the amount of hipsters can be a negative if that is your thing. Restaurant wise though I feel the drive is a little overrated. There are some ok bars along the drive as well as some decent places for food like Belgian Fries for fries or Stella's for a good beer list. You also have all the cafes like Cafe Roma and the rest of them. One place that is always full and I don't know why is Havana. A few years back Havana was a great cuban restaurant with good cuban food but now the food is pretty generic and garbage yet people still go. Avoid.

This thread has focused a lot on restaurants but not so much on food stores. One good experience to have is to check out Bosa's. The newer location is quite amazing though a pain in the ass to get to. Great place for Italian goods. The original location is still around off Hastings so check it out.

In terms of oddball food stores that have no business being good but are delicious, there is a half meat shop, half Bollywood video store that sells fucking amazing Tandoori chicken that is fucking awesome on the BBQ. It is on Fraser and around 49th avenue IIRC though I haven't been there in some time so I don't know if it is still open. It is on the West side of the street so take a look.

The talk about the Drive made me think about La Casa Gelato. While not the best Gelato in the city probably the most flavours. Anyone know if they make a RedBull Gelato? My favorite is Yaletown Gelato is on Homer St. So damn fresh and run by Italian brothers.

Isn't Stellas named something different now like BeerCraft or did only one of the locations change?

Strange that Wazubees there closed. The Yaletown Subeeze is still open and popular.

Big-E

Warm Machine said:
The talk about the Drive made me think about La Casa Gelato. While not the best Gelato in the city probably the most flavours. Anyone know if they make a RedBull Gelato? My favorite is Yaletown Gelato is on Homer St. So damn fresh and run by Italian brothers.

Isn't Stellas named something different now like BeerCraft or did only one of the locations change?

Strange that Wazubees there closed. The Yaletown Subeeze is still open and popular.

I think Stella's name has been changed at least that's what I remember hearing when I was back in Vancouver briefly.

La Casa Gelato probably has it as Red Bull is popular enough though I haven't been there since the Ferrari dealership moved off of Venables.

Tiktaalik

Big-E said:
In terms of oddball food stores that have no business being good but are delicious, there is a half meat shop, half Bollywood video store that sells fucking amazing Tandoori chicken that is fucking awesome on the BBQ. It is on Fraser and around 49th avenue IIRC though I haven't been there in some time so I don't know if it is still open. It is on the West side of the street so take a look.

Oh man! I think my brother told me about this place but I was never able to find it. You've narrowed it down a bit, so I'll have to have another look.

The Drive has some great stuff. Donalds Market and many other little grocery stores are super affordable and offer a lot of unique foods that many other grocery stores won't have. There's also good coffee, that great mid century modern furniture store and that neat toy store that is run by the same folks that run 6 Acres.

Maybe I should do an East Van writeup? Almost every post up to this point has been about Downtown/West End.

beat

Big-E said:
This thread has focused a lot on restaurants but not so much on food stores.

Challenge accepted!

Supermarkets

Safeway - North American chain. Usually has good hours.

Save-on Foods - often better prices than Safeway. BC owned. Good bulk foods selection. The parent company also has PriceSmart, which I've never been to, and Urban Fare (see below).

Whole Foods / Capers - Capers is a local high-end/organic-focused supermarket. Now owned by Whole Foods, a NA chain with a similar focus. WF has a very nice deli/prepared foods section.

Choices - kinda like Capers, really. But they're still locally owned.

Urban Fare - like Whole Foods or Choices, but owned by Save-On Foods. Urban Fare, like WF, has a very nice ready to eat selection.

Costco - warehouse club chain shopping. Membership required.

Real Canadian Superstore - has stepped up its President's Choice house brand game in recent years. Commendable amount of live fish tanks in stores.

T&T - Taiwanese supermarket chain, now owned by Superstore. Good for Chinese food and to a lesser extent, other east Asian food. T&T's prepared food section is awesome, but obviously very Taiwanese/Chinese. Best of the supermarkets for live fish, I think. T&T also owns the "Osaka" supermarket in the Yaohan center in Richmond. The Metrotown location is probably the best for prepared/ready to eat food.

H-Mart - Korean supermarket chain. Probably your best place for kimchi, both in price and selection.

88 Super Market - this is the Vietnamese supermarket I go to; there might well be others in the city. Good pan-Asian selection, but definitely if you want Vietnamese/SE Asian stuff, this place has a better handle on it than T&T. (There's also Chong Lee, which is like half Chinese, half Vietnamese.)

Specialty

Fujiya - Japanese market. All sorts of dry goods, frozen fish, prepared sushi & bento boxes, fresh fish... multiple locations, but the Clark & Venables is the biggest of the three I've visited.

Angel Seafood - Japanese-focused fish wholesaler; is also open to the public. Mostly frozen fish for sushi and sashimi purposes. No official website; but see Vancouver Magazine mini-writeup.

Gourmet Warehouse
- cookware, knives, interesting ingredients, nifty foods. You can get nice chocolates, spherification chemicals, foie gras, magret duck breasts, and so on.

Kent's Kitchen - they do huge volumes of pretty good Chinese takeout.

Granville Island - good produce, seafood, etc. Do not miss Oyama Sausage Co if you are at all interested in sausages or cured meats.

Les Amis Du Fromage - Cheesemonger. OK, this is the one place I haven't been to yet, but it's on my list to vist in the next week or so, so call this a placeholder.

Food Events

Eat! Vancouver - it can be a bit of a clown show - last year, they rented far too little space in the new convention center - but I still have a soft spot for it.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
beat said:
Challenge accepted!

Supermarkets

Safeway - North American chain. Usually has good hours.

Save-on Foods - often better prices than Safeway. BC owned. Good bulk foods selection. The parent company also has PriceSmart, which I've never been to, and Urban Fare (see below).

Whole Foods / Capers - Capers is a local high-end/organic-focused supermarket. Now owned by Whole Foods, a NA chain with a similar focus. WF has a very nice deli/prepared foods section.

Choices - kinda like Capers, really. But they're still locally owned.

Urban Fare - like Whole Foods or Choices, but owned by Save-On Foods. Urban Fare, like WF, has a very nice ready to eat selection.

Costco - warehouse club chain shopping. Membership required.

Real Canadian Superstore - has stepped up its President's Choice house brand game in recent years. Commendable amount of live fish tanks in stores.

T&T - Taiwanese supermarket chain, now owned by Superstore. Good for Chinese food and to a lesser extent, other east Asian food. T&T's prepared food section is awesome, but obviously very Taiwanese/Chinese. Best of the supermarkets for live fish, I think. T&T also owns the "Osaka" supermarket in the Yaohan center in Richmond. The Metrotown location is probably the best for prepared/ready to eat food.

H-Mart - Korean supermarket chain. Probably your best place for kimchi, both in price and selection.

88 Super Market - this is the Vietnamese supermarket I go to; there might well be others in the city. Good pan-Asian selection, but definitely if you want Vietnamese/SE Asian stuff, this place has a better handle on it than T&T. (There's also Chong Lee, which is like half Chinese, half Vietnamese.)

Specialty

Fujiya - Japanese market. All sorts of dry goods, frozen fish, prepared sushi & bento boxes, fresh fish... multiple locations, but the Clark & Venables is the biggest of the three I've visited.

Angel Seafood - Japanese-focused fish wholesaler; is also open to the public. Mostly frozen fish for sushi and sashimi purposes. No official website; but see Vancouver Magazine mini-writeup.

Gourmet Warehouse
- cookware, knives, interesting ingredients, nifty foods. You can get nice chocolates, spherification chemicals, foie gras, magret duck breasts, and so on.

Kent's Kitchen - they do huge volumes of pretty good Chinese takeout.

Granville Island - good produce, seafood, etc. Do not miss Oyama Sausage Co if you are at all interested in sausages or cured meats.

Les Amis Du Fromage - Cheesemonger. OK, this is the one place I haven't been to yet, but it's on my list to vist in the next week or so, so call this a placeholder.

Food Events

Eat! Vancouver - it can be a bit of a clown show - last year, they rented far too little space in the new convention center - but I still have a soft spot for it.

Don't forget Thriftys.

Big-E

Good write up beat. I already mentioned Oyama. God their stuff is so good. I think I need to make a big list post as well. Great job on the supermarkets. One more specialty store is Lobster Man on the island for all your seafood needs. If you also want some of the best seafood, head to the docks at Steveston and buy your stuff right off the boats.

beat

Should there be a "Hollywood North" location spotting section for this thread? Y'know, the Vancouver Public Library's central branch, convention center, SFU, etc?

Also, anyone know the real-life name of the market that appeared near the beginning of the pilot episode of "The Killing"? I think they're Turkish or something Middle Eastern, on Main near King Edward?

Big-E

What are everyone's thoughts about the best greasy cheap pizza in the city? In terms of chains, I go Megabite 1, Uncle Fatih's 2 and Fresh Slice 3.

JWong

Banned
Oyama's run by Koreans, but it's still pretty good. I'll share my couple of restaurant secrets.

Higenki is Japanese restaurant that serves lunch style food. Things that Japanese people actually eat since sushi is usually a delicacy. The food is at such a good value there. And I should mention that it's actually INSIDE a Japanese retirement home which means real authentic Japanese cooking.

Senhor Rooster is my favourite Portuguese restaurant. Flame Grilled Organic Cornish Hen with Portuguese piri piri sauce. I haven't been to this place for a while, but when I do, it's the best chicken in town.
Big-E said:
What are everyone's thoughts about the best greasy cheap pizza in the city? In terms of chains, I go Megabite 1, Uncle Fatih's 2 and Fresh Slice 3.
Uncle Faith's is the best.

Tabris

I thought this is probably the best thread to ask this.

My work is moving a couple blocks to a new building (they are leasing the building) around E Cordova and Columbia late this year. Now my worry is that it's very close to Hastings and Main, in fact about a block and a half away. There's 2 blocks I need to walk that are slightly sketchy (turn right from abbott to cordova). I may need to go into work sometimes at 7am.

How concerned should I be walking down E Cordova that way? Is having my headphones on not an option due to potential muggings if they see headphones? Anyone have experience with this?

I feel semi comfortable defending myself but you never know with someone desperate or if there's more than 1, I would just like to avoid any kind of confrontation.

Tiktaalik

Tabris said:

My work is moving a couple blocks to a new building (they are leasing the building) around E Cordova and Columbia late this year. Now my worry is that it's very close to Hastings and Main, in fact about a block and a half away. There's 2 blocks I need to walk that are slightly sketchy (turn right from abbott to cordova). I may need to go into work sometimes at 7am.

How concerned should I be walking down E Cordova that way? Is having my headphones on not an option due to potential muggings if they see headphones? Anyone have experience with this?

I feel semi comfortable defending myself but you never know with someone desperate or if there's more than 1, I would just like to avoid any kind of confrontation.

From my experience DTES is more of a petty theft of opportunity sort of place. A bike locked to a stop sign would be in danger of being stolen, but I've never heard of anyone ever being mugged.

IMO If you're alone and it's late at night it's probably a good safe move to take off the headphones and be aware of your surroundings although I feel this way about walking in any neighbourhood.

Firestorm said:
Doing a joint major in Interactive Arts & Technology and Communications. You? There's quite a few people from SFU here.
Are you doing Communications or IAT co-op? I'm in my seeking semester and it doesn't look like I'll be getting any placements for summer.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
SpectreFire said:
Are you doing Communications or IAT co-op? I'm in my seeking semester and it doesn't look like I'll be getting any placements for summer.
Those of you guys doing the IAT at SFU Surrey, I am wondering what do you guys plan to do as a career after graduation ? I remember many years ago when I was accepted into that program when it just basically started. Always wondered how their grads did with career placement.

Slappers Only

Man, I spent every weekend of my 18th year hopping the border up to Vancouver to see my favorite bands and get SHIThouse wasted. I went fucking nuts and never got carded once for anything. Cool city.

I want to visit Vancouver SO badly, it's just so damn far away (I live in Michigan). Maybe one day my girlfriend and I will take a trip out there and watch a Canucks game with our Wings jerseys on. =)

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Tabris said:

You'll be fine. That stretch of street is not as bad as it looks. Teenage girls walk along it at 11pm and nothing happens to them.

Warm Machine said:
Stuff Happening in Vancouver over the next while. Select highlights as I didn't want to grab everything

On Now - Cavalia until April 24th - Olympic Village

April 11th - Ice Cube - Commodore Ballroom
April 13th/14th - Video Games Live - The Center
April 30th - Tiesto - Pacific Colliseum
May 4th - Pixes - Orpheum
May 12th - System of a Down - Rogers Arena
May 27th - Armin Van Burren - Pacific Colliseum
May 31st - Sepultura - Vogue Theater
May 31st - Adele - Orpheum Theater
June - Vancouver Jazzfest - All Over
June 26th - Dropkick Murphys - Commodore Ballroom
July 19th - Katy Perry - Rogers Arena
July 27th - Distant Worlds: Music from Final Fantasy - Orpheum Theater
August 3rd - Slayer and Rob Zombie - Rogers Center

Music is the perfect reason to travel anywhere. Just pick a city you've never been to and look for some bands you love that might be playing some shows there.

My wife and I traveled from Atlanta, GA to Vancouver, BC just to see the Cat Empire at the Commodore last year (because the Cat Empire hates the south). Atlanta spends most of the Summer in the 90's with high humidity, so walking around Stanley Park in the middle of July with a high of 72 blew me away. I absolutely love this town and if we could ever figure out how to do away with the ridiculous notion of "borders" and "citizenship", I would move there in a heartbeat.

For beer, the Alibi room was the best we found (really good fries too). We really enjoyed Don Guacamole's for Mexican food. We must have walked about 15 miles each day we were there.

Tiktaalik

duron256 said:
For the native Vancouverite:

Anyone ever go through Chinatown and notice an old Italian store that never seemed to be open that is on Main St and thought: "what is that store doing there?"

Interesting article:

http://www.vancouversun.com/Tosi+Chinatown+heritage+classic+classic/4585795/story.html

I'm pretty sure I've seen this guy moving stuff around Chinatown on those old wood + metal carts. I did a double take when I saw the carts for sure.

They should put this on the heritage register and enable the guy to sell transfer density. There's not a whole lot of old buildings in town and we need to protect what we have.

Firestorm

SpectreFire said:
I'm in IAT co-op as that's the program I was in first before they created our joint major program and the one I identify with more. Don't give up yet. You're hitting Lightning Round now so as long as you've applied to enough jobs you'll be automatically in consideration for the last minute ones. I didn't get my second placement until very late last year.

My jobs have been very typical for SIAT students. First job was with the university for 8 months. Second placement was in an office that wasn't really an IAT role but they made use of my abilities. Current position is with RIM. SFU and RIM are the de facto SIAT employers... They seem to love us.
NetMapel said:
Those of you guys doing the IAT at SFU Surrey, I am wondering what do you guys plan to do as a career after graduation ? I remember many years ago when I was accepted into that program when it just basically started. Always wondered how their grads did with career placement.
Honestly? Most people get into the SIAT wanting to get into games or animation or something and find out the program is complete shit for that. The open house material is misleading and I can't in good concience recommend it to anyone who wants to get into media arts. The design part of the program is pretty good though. If it weren't for co-op I think I'd be really screwed for job prospects. Right now I'm hoping to talk to my manager near the end of my co-op term and work with them full-time afterwards. It's just I'd have to move from Vancouver and I really would rather not =/ It's amazing how much you take the city for granted until you leave.

buhdeh

Firestorm said:

Ah. I'm in business administration concentrating in management information systems and accounting (backup concentration).

sikkinixx

Falconetti's on Commercial is a pretty good place to pop by. Used to meet with a prof there all the time. Steak sandwich is dynamite. Their sausages are good too. Little place, usually pumping with rock music.

Cafe Classico is a good place on Hastings in Burnaby too. Simple food, I always get the sandwich and it tastes basically like the sandwich my nonna makes at her house. Cheap too, I think a mortadella and cheese runs $4. My dad digs the coffee.

Someone already mentioned Bosa for Italian food shopping, and it's quite good. Nice selection of pasta and they carry the canned tomatoes I like to make sauce with. Their fennel sausage (I don't know if they make it themselves...) are really good BBQ'd or sautéed with some white-wine. But also try Cioffi. It's not nearly as nice as Bosa but they carry a lot of pastas that Bosa doesn't. Their meat is also generally very good. Good cheeses too.

Tiktaalik said:
I went to Subeez once and literally had cardboard in my food. yeah.

I went to a high end steak house in Reno and found a live grasshopper in my salad. Fingernail in a sandwich at a cafe in Germany, rubber band in Miso soup at a Japanese place on 4th, bones in Sushi more times than I can count. Cardboard is the least of your worries.

master15

While certainly not the best samurai you will find in Vancouver, I often find myself at samurai sushi thanks to generous portions and with a group of friends very reasonable.

If it hasn't been mentioned a nice spot for lunch for those working down town is Italian kitchen. I love me some Kobe meatballs!

beat

Big-E said:
Uncle Fatih's >> Megabite IMO. Fatih's has roasted potato pizza!

I also like that place right on the corner of Seymour and Pender.

There's also a very nice sushi place near there - Zero One sushi. It's not world-changing sushi, not at that price, but it is very good for that price range.

Firestorm

Hahahaha this comment on the UBC Lipdub video: "There's a lot of Asians.... Might be loud in the library"

I'm quite looking forward to SFU. Can't afford to half-ass it against UBC ;D

And yeah, Uncle Fatih's > Fresh Slice > Megabite for me as far as pizza places with more than one location.

ili0926

NetMapel said:
I have to say this one is kind of weak.

I think the top comment puts it into perspective:

"To everyone saying that UBC's was better: This lipdub was put together rather last minute, from my understanding, and was released as part of the first Queen's LovesU day, a celebration created by students in light of recent student deaths on campus. This video wasn't about having the biggest or the best lipdub in the world - it was about celebrating members of the Queen's community and fostering school spirit in a time of sadness. UBC's was amazing, but the circumstances were different.
travskis07 10 hours ago 41 "

Plus, you went to Western, right? =P=P

Top Bottom